• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 2,028 Views, 13 Comments

Worst sister - andrizzi



Dear diary, Rarity is the worst sister ever!

  • ...
2
 13
 2,028

Rarity

Ahh, spring cleaning.

Rarity loved spring cleaning. Sure, she already cleaned her house every two days, but spring cleaning was completely different. She had to be extremely precise and meticulous, covering every corner of every room of her boutique.

That day, Rarity was ready to start. She had her ostrich feather duster, her maid outfit, she had covered her mane with a gray band, and she had given a big smooch on Sweetie Belle’s forehead before the little dear had to run to school.

Humming, Rarity used her magic to float the duster around as she went from room to room. In just an hour she had already cleaned almost every area of the house, leaving only the little bedroom occupied by Sweetie to deal with.

Luckily, between Sweetie’s good qualities there was her predisposition to put all her things in order. ‘Which is a blessing,’ thought Rarity in relief, ‘considering the messes she often comes up with.’

True to her expectation, Rarity found that everything inside the bedroom was in its place. All the books were on the bookshelves, no toys were scattered over the ground, no clothes out of the wardrobes, the table clean and empty save for one diary…

Rarity abruptly stopped and opened wide her eyes, spinning in a flash her head towards the table. Or, more precisely, the object upon it.

“What’s this? My little sister got a new diary for the new year?” muttered Rarity between herself. It was since the Gabby Gums incident that she hadn’t foun… –ahem– seen Sweetie Belle’s diary.

“My, my, my… Sweetie Belle must have been in a hurry, or maybe she’s finally trusting her big sister enough to not hide her precious little diary.” Looking at the table, Rarity saw that the only other thing beside the diary was a pencil. By deduction, she guessed that her sister barely had the time to write down a new entry right after she woke up before she had to literally run in order to not being late for school.

Without thinking, Rarity grabbed the diary with her magic and brought it next to her muzzle in order to inspect it. But after a moment she relaxed, laughing to herself. “Of course, I would never betray the trust of an innocent little filly. Not after I promised to respect her privacy.” Indeed, after Gabby Gums, Sweetie Belle had sworn to respect others’ privacy on the condition that Rarity would do the same.

“As I promised, I will respect my word and will not pry… ehm, check into my sister’s life,” she announced, putting the diary back on its place. Just a little closer to the end of the table.

“But if it would, so casually, happen that” –Rarity jerked her rump backwards, hitting and shaking the table– “the diary fell” –another hit, with no avail– “by pure accident” –annoyed, Rarity narrowed her eyes and bucked the with her leg– “perhaps” –again– “of its own!

With a shrill shout, Rarity charged both her hind hooves and bucked the table. Finally, the diary fell on the floor with a thud.

Worn out and stressed, Rarity took a deep breath to calm herself. Then, she put on a satisfied smile and turned around. “And if it would, obviously by chance, open by itself…”

Rarity looked down… and her face fell in utter disappointment. The diary was just below her, resting motionless on the moquette. And it was very, very closed.

Puffing her cheeks, she stared at the diary like she would stare a dirty stain.

With a hoof, Rarity took the diary by one of its corners and pushed it upwards. As result, it fell on the other side of its cover. She tried again. And again. And again.

Rarity took a deep breath through her nose, on the verge of frustration, and grabbed the diary between both her hooves. She slowly pushed it up again, this time making sure that it would support itself on its spine, and spread her grasp apart.

She held her breath and looked at the diary as it rested motionless for a few seconds. Then, it fell on its left side. Still closed.

“Argh! Why don’t you–” Rarity clenched her teeth and floated the diary up, almost ready to simply open it when she noticed something.

Over the pages, between the two cover pages, there was a metal band with a locker.

Rarity hummed as she took note that Sweetie wasn’t as innocent and naive as she looked. Not just that, she was hiding something from her bigger sister. That was preposterous. Besides, what would she ever want to keep secret?

Now, Rarity had the moral obligation to dig deeper. She wanted to be a good sister, after all.

Rarity hummed and bit her inner cheek while she thought of a way to skip the obstacle. When enlightening finally came, she lit up her horn and used her magic to force open the cheap lock.

“And I guess it would be correct to affirm that the lock magically opened, always by itself mind you. So, as I was saying…” Satisfied, Rarity put the diary on the table, then shove it down the table with her hoof.

Realizing that it had no choice but to obey, the diary finally fell open. “…If all those casualties should ever occur, then I don't see how my little sister could complain if I so happen to give a quick peek with the corner of the eye while I pick it up for her.”

Nodding to herself, Rarity picked up the diary and started to casually peek into it. Shortly after, she realized she might as well get comfortable and leaned it on the table while she got into a thorough reading.

Dear Diary,

Hi! I’m Sweetie Belle, a unicorn filly that lives in Ponyville and…

Boring!

Rarity went to the next day, skipping the presentations.

Dear Diary,

today I ate a Spotted Richard.

It was really good.

That… was just it. For an entire day.

Sighing, Rarity started to scroll all the page one after the other, ascertaining that almost all the pages had just one dull line: today was sunny, today we and the Crusaders helped another pony with her Cutie Mark, today Discord switched Scootaloo’s scooter with a giant crab, tomorrow we traveled through time to today…

Rarity was giving up the research for the saucy entries when finally she reached the current date in the diary. Bolting her head up, she noted that Sweetie had indeed updated her diary that same morning, and she had been quite explicit too.

An excited giggle escaped from her mouth. She could already tell she was going to adore this one.

Dear Diary,

Rarity is the worst sister ever.

…Wait, what?

Rarity supported herself over the table, gasping in shock several times. How? How could Sweetie Belle write such things about her? And why?

Recoiling, she desperately plunged in for answers.

Sometimes I think she doesn’t care about me. She doesn’t spend enough time with me, because she’s always behind her schedule, or she just got a new important order, or she has to go to save the word.

Probably, we wouldn’t do anything together if it wasn’t for my efforts. For example, I remember the last time I and my friends went camping with our sisters. I just wanted have a nice weekend in the woods with Rarity and I literally had to plead for her to come with us. And then she used me as pony mule for the entire trip.

Because that’s what little sisters are for, dragging a chart containing all your packages and yourself while you chill. UPHILL! That’s minor abuse!

‘Okay, I admit I kinda deserve that one,’ thought Rarity. ‘But that hill path was just so dirty!’

Also, she’s so full of dazzle and glitz that she always steals my spot on the stage. Like during the last Derby. She was so focused on getting revenge on Derpy for stealing her victory –Derpy! Of all ponies– that she almost lived the whole experience in my place. Worst of all? She probably wasn’t even trying to steal the scene, she just does.

And she never allows me to help her cooking. Hey, I know that I’m not the best next to the oven but at least I could try to become better. Especially with a little help from, just saying, the sister who's supposed to encourage me.

Furthermore, she keeps blaming me for emptying all the cartons of ice cream that she eats during her ‘mourns’ as she calls them.

And not just that, she I have to go, Rarity is calling so I must be really late for school.

Bye,

Sweetie Belle.

Rarity stared at the signature, both dumbstruck and horrified, searching for anything else over the page. She couldn’t believe that Sweetie could ever write something like this about her, there had to be a part where she realized how much she loved her big sister.

She knew she had her flaws, but Rarity had always done her best to overcome them and become a good sister. Ever since their first Sisterhooves Socials together!

Suddenly, a thought crossed her mind. A thought that filled her eyes with water, and shattered her heart.

Could it be then… could it be that she just wasn’t enough?


Rarity was setting up the last refines on the table just when the front door opened and closed.

“Rarity, I’m home,” called Sweetie as she came in.

Without ceremonies, Sweetie reached her seat in front of the table and looked up to Rarity, who promptly served her plate next to her before taking her seat as well.

She watched at Sweetie as her little sister dug inside her salad.

“Are you enjoying lunch, dear?”

“Mh-hm.”

Rarity tip-tapped her hooves against the table, uncomfortably looking around the room. “So… how was your day?”

“Pretty average,” said Sweetie with a shrug.

Rarity sighed, waited, and looked at Sweetie right into the eyes. “You know that if something should be bothering you, I’m here to listen, right?”

“Hm-mh,” hummed Sweetie with just a hint of worry for her sister.

Rarity knew there was no way to avoid it. So, she took a deep breath and gathered her strength.

“Sweetie,” she said with a quivering voice and moist eyes. “You think I’m a bad sister?”

Sweetie Belle abruptly stopped to chew what she had inside her mouth and stared at her sister. She let fall a lull that lasted for a short moment before gulping down her food and addressing her sister without hesitation.

“You know, yes, actually.”

That was it. That was the final strike that shattered Rarity’s fragile heart. The worst. Possible. Thing! She could only look at the table with watery eyes and her ears folded down as Sweetie went on.

“I mean, I don’t see why you have to ask. Think about all the times we fight. Or we have to find a compromise just to do something together. And do I have to bring up all the times you exaggerate your reactions and scold me for no reason?”

Shamefully, Rarity lifted her gaze to her little sister and saw no mercy. Sweetie Belle was talking with a flat expression while supporting her front hooves on the table, pressing them together.

“But do you know which, among all, is the worst thing about you, Rarity?”

“I…” Rarity’s courage went amiss.

A smile crept on Sweetie’s muzzle. “You try to read my diary constantly.”

‘Oh, I guess she’s right,’ though Rarity. ‘After all…

‘…wait a second…’

Suddenly, Rarity’s sorrow changed into something new. Her ears bolted up, her eyes opened wide, her mouth opened speechlessly. She looked to Sweetie in aghast, with a dreadful suspect.

Sweetie bolted up on two legs and threw her forehooves in the air.

“April’s fool!” she announced.

Rarity blinked. Then, she blinked again. And she shook her head while quickly blinking again several times.

“What?”

Sweetie burst out in a childish laugh. “I played you a prank, today is the first of April. I knew you would have pried inside my diary if I left a fake one out in plain sight.” After the explanation, she leaned eagerly over the table and excitedly looked to her big sister. “That was a good one, right?” she asked with the innocence of a calf the day before Easter.

Rarity didn’t answer, nor did she move.

She just kept on staring to Sweetie Belle with an unreadable expression.

Sweetie Belle, to be honest, found it slightly creepy and worrisome. However she didn’t dare to break the silence first, so she just offered Rarity a timid smile while she covered herself in cold sweat.

Then, after a full minute, Rarity stood up.

With a detached gaze, she walked to go outside the room.

When Rarity passed near her, Sweetie Belle spoke with a quiver of trembling in her voice.

“Rarity?”

Rarity still held the same expression and, without uttering a sound, reached the exit.

The doorbells ringed when she left the boutique.

Sweetie’s ears fold down as she stared at the closed front door, her little heart beating faster every second.

“Sister?”


‘Rarity is coming back soon.’ Sweetie Belle did the one hundred and seventy-fourth turn around the main room, thinking, ‘Relax, Sweetie. She’s not going to leave forever. She loves you too much for even thinking about abandoning you.’

Despite her convictions, Sweetie Belle was brooding a feeling of anxiety and fear. The sun was already settling down and Rarity still hadn’t come home.

‘It wasn’t meant to be like this, it just had to be an innocent prank,’ thought Sweetie, biting her lower lip. At least, she had spent the day doing all her homework and doing some extra errands around the boutique. Just as a precaution. She had no idea how incredibly mad Rarity was going to be.

Ultimately, Sweetie heard a click from the front door and turned, holding her breath. Her relief was immense recognizing Rarity’s silhouette entering. With a large smile, she ran and hugged the white front hoof of her big sister.

“Rarity! Where have you been? I was worried about you.”

“Sorry, of course you were.” Rarity caressed her sister’s mane, before adding bitterly, “You’re a good sister… unlike me.”

Sweetie Belle’s face fell as, at the same time, a feel of guilt built up inside her. “Is this about the diary? Rarity, it was just a prank.”

Rarity sighed. “Maybe it was, Sweetie Belle, but there was some truth in it.” Rarity paused and slowly walked around her sister, giving her back to her. “I’ve thought about it, about the things you wrote, and I concluded that… I’m a bad sister.”

“Rarity…” Sweetie felt a growing pain stinging her eyes. What could she do now? When she decided what to write to trick Rarity, she just meant to fool her around while giving some constructive criticism. She didn’t mean to make her feel that bad… but she couldn’t just tell that everything was a lie. “Rarity, I was just exaggerating. I mean, sometimes –well, a lot of times– we bicker and fight but in the end–”

Rarity faced her again and held out a hoof to interrupt her. “That’s kind of you, but you don’t have to spare my feelings. It was time I realized that I am, in truth, unsuited for the role of your big sister. You deserve somepony better.”

Sweetie felt her forehead getting soaked in sweat again. But she also saw the end of the tunnel. True, Rarity did take her words a little too seriously, but maybe that would turn out for the better.

“W- well… we can work on that, right?” she offered, with a strained smile. “I’m sure that we will get over this obstacles if we work together.”

Rarity smiled warmly hearing that. “Oh, Sweetie, your spirit is filled with white innocence… but I already had plenty of chances, and I cannot abuse it any further.”

Sweetie Belle’s left ear twitched as the sound of steps reached her from the door. Spinning her head around, her heart stopped when she recognized the orange farm pony standing there and looking her with sad and sober eyes.

“Why is Applejack here?” asked Sweetie Belle with a clear quiver in her voice.

“I asked her to come,” said Rarity, covering her eyes with a hoof.

“But why?”

“As I already said… you deserve a good big sister.”

“What?” Sweetie Belle panicked and her breath fastened.

“I’ll miss you, of course, but this is for the better,” said Rarity, with a broken voice. “You will have everything you wished for, and I trust that Applejack will be–”

Before Rarity could finish, Sweetie Belle threw herself to her gave her the biggest embrace she could.

“No! I- I don’t want this!”

Sweetie Belle pressed her muzzle against her sister’s fur, crying and sobbing at the same time.

“R- Rarity, I didn’t mean any of the things that I wrote. And maybe you’re not perfect, b- but nopony is a- and I still love with all my heart. P- please, I’m s- sorry. I s- swear that I’m happy with you as my big sister. I- I mean it… I- I h- hope I’ll be like you when I get older so pleaseplease don’t send me away…”

Rarity kneeled down and put her lips near her sister’s ear. “Sweetie–”

Sweetie didn’t loose time to listen. “Please! I’ll be good, I- I just need one chance. I’ll even stop cooking breakfast if you don’t–”

“April’s fool, darling,” slyly muttered Rarity.

Sweetie Belle’s sobbing stopped abruptly.

She still pressed her muzzle against her sister, and a few sniffs could still be heard, but it took just a moment for the little one to look up with the most disbelieved face she ever had in her short life.

And right above her, she met the smuggest grin she had ever seen in such short life.

“Well, looks like my part here is over,” shouted Applejack as she turned to leave, saving her laughs for later. “Take well, sugarcubes.”

After the door closed, Sweetie Belle spun repeatedly her head between the door and Rarity, who was now snickering. Then, she pouted and started to walk to the door.

“Applejack! I changed my mind!” she yelled as Rarity burst out laughing. “Come back here! I just need to pack a few things!”

Unfortunately, Sweetie didn’t get much away because a pair of white hooves grabbed her from behind and pulled her into a warm hug.

“I’m sorry, but you’re stuck here now,” said Rarity coyly. “Besides, you’ll need my help if you want to grow up and at least come close to ma gloire.”

Sweetie glanced forward flatly as she spoke with a plain tone. “You are the worst. Sister. Ever!”

“I kno~ow,” sung Rarity, tightening the hug.

Sweetie groaned and looked up to rarity with a scowl. Once she was sure that Rarity’s eyes were shut closed, she reclined her head back and smiled.

Author's Note:

Do you want an extra laugh?
Readingsins did a review. (Link here)

Comments ( 10 )

This story is absolutely hilarious. Have an upvote and a fave.

Siblings do this all the time. But the trolling is strong with both of them.

Name of Story: Worst Sister
Grammar score out of 10 (1 is grammar that needs to be worked upon as basic principles such as capitalization and spelling is an issue, and 10 is impeccable): 8
Pros -
- This was truly cute

-That scene with the dairy was perfect.

Cons -
-There were a very small amount of grammar mistake, but nothing an extra look couldn't fix.

-Rarity suddenly leaving does seem a little abrupt.

Notes Section: This was an extra cute story that had plenty of laughs. As said earlier that scene with dairy was the best part. It reminded me so much of this scene.

I absolutely loved seeing Rarity essentially do the same thing.. As for the grammar, as said a quick look through should fix this. Its nothing that breaks the story.Which mean the only glaring problem is on Rarity abruptly leaving. This needs to be drawn out just a bit better. Heck, I almost missed while reading and wondered where Rarity disappeared to. I'm not saying the scene wasn't there, I'm just saying the scene wasn't as noticeable as the others. Either way I still enjoyed this story and will gladly give it a like and fav.

8066956 Thank you.:twilightsmile: Your help is much appreciated.


8066266 Meanwhile, a caped figure rubbed her hooves together, hidden in the shadows of her castle in Canterlot.
"I feel a disturbance in the trolling...":trollestia:

Very nice story! You captured Rarity's character perfectly, and wrote an excellent mix of comedy and feelz!

Edit, ten minutes later: yup. Just re-read it. Still funny. :twilightsmile:

:rainbowlaugh: That's so cruel oh my god

8151025 Why not? They can be quite hilarious. :trollestia:

Such a sweet tale!

Featured in May for Rated 'E' for Everyone

Login or register to comment