• Published 30th Mar 2017
  • 242 Views, 0 Comments

Ashes - Cloud



When backed to a corner, fire becomes the final resort. But what survives the flames?

  • ...
 0
 242

Ash

It took a moment to untangle the screams from the howls of pain. The screams were Shoes’, but the howls were of the manticore in pain, not herself. In fact, she didn’t feel the stabbing teeth or rending claws at all.

With the scream dying down to a whimper, she cautiously opened her eyes and saw the tail of a whining manticore bound down a street and away. It was only when she heard the click-click of hooves on stone that she recognized that there was something very bright - and considerably warm – behind her.

Looking up, she squinted through the rays of light at a figure. Matted grey, with white streaks running down from the eyes, it… No, she stood twice as tall as a pony. With long, elegant wings and a horn rising up from her billowing, burning mane, this was an alicorn. The likes of which had not been seen for some centuries.

The light dimmed slightly as the figure spoke. “The land of Everfree is not fit for any pony these days.”

Stunned, Shoes chose to remain in silence. After a pause, the alicorn inquired, “Why are you in the city, little pony?”

Slowly, hesitantly, “…There was a manticore.”

“Yes, I saw that.”

Shoes cursed her stupidity. Of course the alicorn knew of the manticore. It was she who had scared off the beast, but that didn’t explain why Shoes was playing tag with it in the first place. Wait, she halted mid-thought. The manticore… “GLASS!”

The alicorn was taken aback at the sudden outburst, as Shoes’ mind and body had sprung back into motion. The manticore may have gone, but she was still in the Everfree. The chase had taken time. How much time? Was there still a chance to drag Looking Glass out of this dusty ruin, and to safety?

“Cease your pacing.” The strong, calm voice of the alicorn arrested her. “You will take us to this other.”


Frantically, Shoes trotted into the park, looking for any landmark to show she was in the right place. Her eyes alighted on the dead tree. The arched door. “There!”

She dashed up to the solid wooden door – it was still barred, from the inside. “No…” she moaned. But before she could move to go around to the back of the house, the door was wrapped in magic, and it - along with part of the frame – was swept aside.

Looking inside, Shoes saw Looking Glass lying where he had been unceremoniously left, and her face, briefly lit with hope, descended into resignation. It had been too long, she was certain of it now. Not even breath was disturbing the fine dust atop him. Even if the manticore was gone, even if she could carry his body out of the city, it was too late to save him.

She became aware of the alicorn’s presence once again right behind her. Bowing her head, Shoes let the majestic figure enter the small abode. Gracefully, it stalked about the silent academic, inspecting him. Then, wrapping him in a veil of magic, the alicorn lifted him off the floor. The light of the magic blanketed Shoes with a comforting, warm glow. Awestruck, she watched the stallion’s wounds seal themselves before he was ever so gently laid, curled up, onto the floor.

Immediately, the alicorn made to leave. Shoes thought to question her, but was stopped as Looking Glass groaned. Miraculously, life was returning to his no-longer-still form, twitching and groaning. Shoes made a start towards him, but stopped short. Whirling about, Shoes looked for the alicorn, already making her way across the empty park. “Wait!”

When the alicorn paused, Shoes realized she at once had nothing to say, and too much to say. She had many questions for the powerful being, but they seemed trite compared to the miracle she had just witnessed. After a long pause, she managed to simply call out: “Thank you… Celestia.”

“…Thank you… Little pony,” came the quiet reply. And then she was gone.
With a great groan, Looking Glass’ eyes creaked open. “What happened?” Affixing his gaze on Shoes, still silhouetted in the broken doorway, he wondered, “Did you find help?”

“…Yes. Help.”

Glass looked quizzically at the mare as she paused a bit longer, still in wonder. Then she turned to face him, her composure reset. “Get up. I don’t want to wait for the winds to trap us here tonight.”

Author's Note:

All business, that mare. There's no gold to be made in sitting around on the floor, after all.

And with that, welcome to the land of Ashes! Will I expand this more in the future? Well, considering it took me some number of years before I finally decided to finish this to a point I could post...

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment