• Published 30th Mar 2017
  • 243 Views, 0 Comments

Ashes - Cloud



When backed to a corner, fire becomes the final resort. But what survives the flames?

  • ...
 0
 243

The Doorway

“HOW COULD I BE THAT STUPID?” Shoes screamed as she barreled down an empty street, a massive leonine creature bounding after her. The manticore had lain disturbingly still in the sands surrounding the ancient city of Everfree. By the time Shoe had noticed it, it had been far too late – and it now proceeded to chase them deep into the empty city. “Right!” She cried, following as Glass ducked into the indicated building. She passed him in a dash for the stairs to the roof. “Follow me!”

The door didn’t slow the manticore, and it didn’t even hesitate for the stairs. Snapping at tails, it went so far as to leap off the rooftop after its prey – but then spread its leathered wings to avoid impaling itself on the dead tree just below. The beast circled about, coming down to land in the center of the long-dead park space, but the delay was more than enough. Shoes scrabbled into another building, dragging along Glass, who was bleeding from a number of scrapes inflicted by his dive through the tree. Once inside, she slammed and barred the ancient – but still formidable – oaken door.

“And that,” she panted, leaning against the door. “Is why… I don’t go into Everfree.”

Looking Glass was not listening however, forgetting momentarily about his injuries as he inspected the home’s simple stone construction. Above the bedroom doorway, an inscription was carved. “Asleep and awake, I am my own. Always I am ever free,” Shoes read. Sadly, that title that had once meant safety for the ponies that lived here twisted into a warning – as the manticore outside proved, this land was now wild and free of pony meddling – and far more dangerous than the rest of the desert. The home of the ever free had become ever free itself.

“Funny twist of fate I suppose,” Glass chuckled weakly.

“I suppose,” Shoes replied on her way in to the next room. She didn’t feel like letting her fate rest with the free manticore outside. “There should be a back door…” There was a thump somewhere behind her. “…Looking Glass?”

Looking Glass was lying on the floor, terribly still as a fine cloud of dust settled onto his coat. “Glass!” Shoes slid in next to her charge. His eyes fluttered open as she lifted his head. “’M fine, really.” He rasped, “But…” There was blood dripping down his hind leg. One of the scratches was much deeper than the others – it hadn’t come from the tree. “…I’m afraid his stinger may have got me.”
“No, no, this is not good,” Shoes cursed.

“I… Didn’t think it was that bad. It didn’t hurt too much.” Looking Glass winced sheepishly. “Of course, I don’t feel much of anything now.”

“By the Alicorns’ bathhouse!” Shoes hastily calculated in her head – the wound was significant, but it could have been much worse. Paralysis had already come into play. If Glass was numb now… How long had it been since the sting? How long before he went into cardiac arrest? If he were hardy, he might pull through, but… She looked down at the scrawny academic. Not likely, she thought. His only chance was a long one, at best.

“Wait here.”

Glass murmured something in return; eyes closed, and head lolling back to the floor.

“…I’ll be back.” Maybe, she grimly considered.

Author's Note:

Oh dear. This could have gone better as well.