• Published 30th Mar 2017
  • 116 Views, 0 Comments

Tales from the Griffon Kingdoms - Don_Griffon



A High Prince works to maintain order in the Griffon Kingdoms while his brother is off trying to prove himself.

  • ...
 0
 116

The Coronation of the Heir Apparent

As per Griffon custom, High King Sedgor Bashere, Lord of Winds, was taken to Gale's Peak where High Prince Gregor set fire to his body and spread his ashes on the Mountain's sacred winds. It was a solitary and emotionally draining task for the Heir Apparent, but it was what had to be done. Unfortunately this custom ate up twelve days, leaving him precious little time to rehearse the Coronation ceremony. There were three parts to the ceremony, first each of the Lords from the four great Griffon Cities would ask the Heir Apparent a question to determine his readiness to rule and if they deem the answer insufficient they openly reprimand the Heir and correct them. In the second part of the ceremony the Heir asks the Lords a question to determine their loyalty, if they don't meet expectations they must be given penance. In the final part of the ceremony the Crown Enchanter addresses the crowd and formally crowns the Heir who normally gives a speech before the city throws a week long festival in the High King's honor. This all seemed a bit tedious and flowery to Gregor, as he was never really big on ceremony but Falion stressed to him the importance of the event and how he needs to have his people see him formally raised to power. Another pointless duty he'd bare until his brother returns, it seems.

After two days of nothing but rehearsal it was time for the real deal. All the Houses had arrived and a replacement for House Hergen had been chosen, all that was left was to get this over with. Outside the Castle proper a rather large crowd had gathered, those who couldn't find a place to land stayed in the air to watch. The four Lords stood just outside the castle, each one accompanied by a banner declaring their House and name. In order of rank they stood from right to left, House Descole, House Resuti, House Auterne, and the House that replaced Hergen, House Ituralde. Lan Descole was a large, dark brown griffon in full battle regalia, quite muscular as his House trained the best swordsmen in all of the Griffon Lands. In fact Lan taught Gregor, Annor, and Nailah. Despite the stiff, hard, and unyielding demeanor he projected he was actually a very graceful and gentle griffon. Next stood Vaida Resuti, a griffon who strongly resembled a blue jay. She would have been quite pretty in her teal dress if she didn't look like she was tasting something sour at all times. Her House was known for their great stone-workers and powerful fliers, often times a griffon who intended to join the royal guard would spend a few years there to work on wing endurance. Third in line stood Aludra Auterne, a slender thing with orange fur slashed with black and sparkling emerald green eyes. She was a feather away from being a firebrand, her House was known for maintaining good relations with the other races, particularly ponies, as well as housing the largest number of Hippogryphs. Herself personally was renown for pushing for Hippogryph equality and an obsession with fireworks. Lastly stood Rodel Ituralde, an enchanter of some skill his House will produce most of the enchanted items that will be commonly used in Griffon Lands. He was a stout, colorful thing, wearing as colorful robes as his feathers. Like a macaw his feathers and fur varied from red, yellow, green, and blue.

Heir Apparent, Gregor would walk into view, dressed in ornate robes. He'd bow respectfully before the four Lords who'd bow in return. Lan was first to speak. "He who would dare call himself High King, do you have the courage to fight for your people? Even if it cost you your life?"

Gregor replied in a loud voice so all could hear. "If a day were to come where I had to lay down my life for the good of my people, I'd do it without hesitation!"

Lan asked another question. "And if you had to sacrifice a few for the good of all?"

"I would make the sacrifice and honor them as true heroes!" Lan bows deeply in acceptance.

Vaida spoke next. "He who would dare call himself Lord of Winds, do you have the flexibility to adept to this ever changing world?"

"I'd be as flexible as the Wind, accepting the things I cannot change."

Vadia continues. "But do you have the strength to uphold our beliefs?"

"As one must know to be flexible, one must know to be firm. I'd be as solid as a mountain in upholding my People's ideals."

The blue jay of a griffon bows and lets Aludra speak.

"He who would dare claim the Throne, do you understand your place?" She speaks passionately.

"I am a servant to all of us, it is my duty to provide us with the tools of peace and prosperity." Gregor states with an equal passion.

"What about other races?"

"They all deserve a chance to share in our prosperity and should be treated with dignity, as if they were one of our own."

Aludra smiles and happily bows for him.

Rodel speaks in a clear, audible, but otherwise flat tone. "He who would dare raise himself above us, do you know the importance of your subjects?"

"My people are everything, without them I have nothing. They are the ones who make this great nation, I simply provide them with the tools!"

"Would you still serve your people if they reviled you?" The colorful griffon asked.

"It is my duty, there is nothing else I could do. Hated or Loved, I am their servant."

Ituralde looks thoughtful for a second before bowing.

Gregor spoke up. "You four who dared to question my legitimacy to rule, did I earn your vows of Loyalty?"

The four spoke in near perfect unison. "Yes, my Lord!"

"You four who dared challenge my intentions in front of my subjects, will you serve me honorably until death?"

In unison. "Even in the face of death we shall serve you with honor!"

The High Prince bows deeply to them and they bow in return. The Crown Enchanter appeared and made his way to Gregor.

"Kinsmen, you have seen this Griffon brought before you and earned the fealty of the Four Great Lords. This Griffon is a true son of Sedgor and I have declared him worthy for ascension." He places the golden Crown with little winds carved into it on Gregor's head. "Hail to his Majesty, High King Gregor Bashere, Lord of the Winds!" He says loudly, giving the new High King a great bow. The entire crowd bowed, at least the ones who could did anyway. Lots of roars and cheers were heard through out the city, bells rung loudly, there were streamers and confetti tossed about. But before they got to carried away Gregor spoke up. "Hear me, people of Gryphus! Until my life leaves my body I will do everything in my power to make us the greatest nation possible! We are Griffons! We are Proud!" He draws an ornate sword and rears up, using his wings to keep him up he points the sword toward the sun. The gesture made the crowd go wild, even the Four Lord cheered! "Let the festivities begin!"

And so the Coronation Festival begun.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment