• Published 8th May 2017
  • 1,400 Views, 94 Comments

A Princess's Path - Bluecatcinema



Flurry Heart decides she needs to help ponies like a real royal does.

  • ...
6
 94
 1,400

Ponyville Days

Flurry and Moongleam came back from Las Pegasus with a multitude of souvenirs. Of course, these included the gift for Anthem.

"A yo-yo?" Anthem frowned as he examined the gift. "Seems kinda cheap, considering where you just came from..."

"You're welcome, squirt." Flurry pouted.

"Hey, I didn't say I didn't like it." Anthem shrugged, playing with his new toy. "Guess I just expected something a little... bigger."

"Well, your sister was a tad busy, what with both her meeting with the city council, and teaching a trio of corrupt resort owners a lesson." Moongleam pointed.

"Wait, what?" Anthem gaped. "What was that last one again?"

"Oh, that's quite a story." Flurry smiled. "But you probably want to play with the new yo-yo your loving big sister got you, right?" She put on the best puppy dog eyes she could.

"I can do both." Anthem declared. "Not like I can't listen and practice a few yo-yo tricks."

"He's got you there, Flurry." Moongleam noted.

"That he does." Flurry grinned. "So, what happened was this..."

Flurry quickly recapped the events of the day.

"Whoa." Anthem mused after hearing the end of the story. "I didn't know you could be so sneaky, sis."

"You learn something new every day." Flurry grinned.

"Guess being smart runs in the family." Anthem declared, idly playing with his new yo-yo.

"Clearly." Moongleam rolled her eyes.

"Hey, check this out!" Anthem swung his yo-yo around, attempting a cool trick... but ended up tangling himself in the string. "Whoops."

"Keep practicing, bro." Flurry chuckled. "You'll get the hang of it."

"Can't get any worse, at least." Moongleam teased.

"Ha-ha." Anthem snorted. "Very funny."

For the following fortnight, things were quiet. Flurry and Moongleam would hang out, and Anthem busied himself with his yo-yo. He actually managed to learn a number of tricks, which he relished showing off at any given opportunity. And family meals were no exception. One evening, at dinner, he decided to show off another new trick.

"Watch this!" He lowered the yo-yo, until it was barely an inch above the ground, and held it at an angle, so it hovered as it spun. "I'm walking the dog!"

"Not bad, squirt." Flurry nodded. "You're really coming along."

"Ant, no playing at the dinner table." Shining Armor rolled his eyes. "I think you can stand to take a break long enough to eat."

"Okay, dad." Anthem grudgingly put aside the yo-yo, then started eating from the dish of the evening, okra soup.

"That's my boy." Shining Armor smiled.

"Great stuff, too." Anthem said through a mouthful of soup.

"It is." Flurry nodded. "Are the chefs trying something new?"

"I heard they got in some new spices from Abyssinia." Cadance mused.

"Either way, this is some of the best soup I've ever had." Flurry declared.

"Same here." Anthem nodded.

"By the way, Flurry, we have a new assignment for you this weekend." Shining Armor announced.

"Well, it's about time." Flurry smiled. "I was starting to think you'd forgotten about all that."

"What can we say? Things have been quiet lately." Cadance shrugged. "There's been so little important royal business that your father and I had no reason to divide it up."

"But now things have been picking back up again." Shining Armor declared. "And we need you to head down to Ponyville."

"Again? Great!" Flurry beamed.

"You'll have to see Mayor Pipsqueak again." Cadance continued. "Just a routine meeting, so you'll have plenty of time to have some fun afterwards."

"Music to my ears." Flurry chuckled.

"And I hear there's a little celebration going on down there this weekend." Shining Armor grinned. "Ponyville Days, they call it."

"Didn't aunt Twilight tell us something about that once?" Anthem asked Flurry.

"I think so." Flurry nodded. "It's a celebration of the founding of Ponyville. Should be fun."

"Eh, seems a little too 'educational' for my tastes." Anthem shrugged. "You have fun, though, sis."

"You bet I will." Flurry grinned.

Not long after dinner, Flurry informed Moongleam of their new assignment.

"Back to Ponyville, eh?" Moongleam mused. "I did enjoy our last trip."

"And this time, we'll be visiting during a local celebration." Flurry smiled. "So we'll be having some fun after the business."

"Would I be right in assuming another visit to your aunt Twilight's will be in order?" Moongleam smirked knowingly.

"Like I could to Ponyville and not visit aunt Twilight." Flurry grinned. "I trust there are no objections?"

"None whatsoever." Moongleam beamed.

On Saturday, Flurry and Moongleam boarded an early train to Ponyville. Their reasons were twofold; for one, Moongleam had anticipated that things would be busier than normal during the event, and that they could traverse the town easier before celebrations were fully underway. The other reason was, of course, that Flurry wanted to have as much time as possible to handle their business, enjoy the festival, and see her aunt.

As Flurry and Moongleam made their way across Ponyville, they took note of the decorations already being put up.

"Looks like we weren't the only ones to think of getting an early start." Moongleam noted.

"Yeah, they're not wasting any time." Flurry nodded. "This is going to be one great festival."

As they continued across town, they crossed paths with a familiar couple: Mayor Pipsqueak and his wife, Diamond Tiara. But they weren't alone; Diamond Tiara was pushing a baby carriage.

"Hello, Princess Flurry!" Pipsqueak smiled. "And you, too, Moongleam!"

"So nice to see you again." Diamond Tiara said warmly. "We didn't expect you to arrive so soon, though..."

"Hello, your honor." Flurry nodded. "Diamond Tiara."

"We caught an early train." Moongleam declared. "Flurry couldn't wait to get here."

"And is this...?" Flurry gazed into the carriage.

"Our foal?" Diamond Tiara beamed. "Yes, she is."

Inside the carriage was a newborn filly. She had a pink coat with white spots, a light purple mane, and her father's brown eyes.

"Your foal was born already?" Moongleam frowned. "I didn't think you were that far along when we saw you last."

"Actually, she wasn't." Pipsqueak admitted.

"It seems our little bundle of joy was a little too eager to meet the world." Diamond Tiara chuckled. "She wanted to come out a full month early. We were so surprised, we barely made it to the hospital on time."

"But made it, we did." Pipsqueak grinned. "The doctors were worried there might have been complications from such an early birth, but our little darling was perfectly healthy."

"Which is why we decided to call her Lucky Penny." Diamond Tiara gently stroked the foal's mane. "Or Penny, for short."

"She's adorable." Flurry cooed, gently tickling Penny's tummy.

"Gee-hee!" The little filly giggled in response.

"I suppose you could call her that." Moongleam shrugged indifferently.

"Well, I suppose we should all get over to town hall and settle matters." Pipsqueak declared.

"Sounds good to me." Flurry nodded. "Especially if it means getting to know this sweet little filly better." She tickled Penny again.

"Bleh-ha!" Penny squealed.

The group made their way over to the town hall. Inside Pipsqueak's office, Flurry and the Mayor conducted their business. Meanwhile, Moongleam stood beside Diamond Tiara, who was holding Penny in one hoof while feeding her milk from a bottle with the other.

"There you go." Diamond Tiara smiled. "Drink it all up, that's a good girl."

Penny finished the milk in next to no time. Her mother lifted her over her shoulder, patting her back gently.

"Urrrrp!" Penny burped.

"Good, noisy girl." Diamond Tiara chuckled. "Lucky grandma isn't here, huh? Isn't it? Isn't it?" She rubbed her nose against Penny's, making her giggle again.

"He-he!" Penny gurgled happily.

Seeing Diamond Tiara with her daughter reminded Moongleam of when she believed her parents were planning to have another foal. Once again, she pondered if she would be ready for such an addition to her family, and if she could handle interacting with a foal.

"You've really gotten the hang of this 'mom' thing." She noted.

"I haven't heard any complaints." Diamond Tiara rocked Penny gently in her hooves. "That's not to say I wasn't worried I wouldn't be up to the task." She frowned suddenly. "My own mother wouldn't exactly have won any parenting awards. The last thing I want is to end up treating Penny like my mother treated me; Less like a daughter, and more like a tool to uphold the family name."

"Having met your mother, I'm not really shocked to hear that." Moongleam admitted.

"Because of her, I spent most of my childhood acting as stuck-up and snooty as her." Diamond Tiara sighed. "Looking down on ponies who weren't as rich, bullying them for being different... I'm not proud of those years."

"What turned things around?" Moongleam asked.

"Let's just say I had a little help from three very special ponies." Diamond Tiara smiled fondly. "They helped me to see I didn't have to be like my mother, that I could be better. I took their words to heart, and I've never looked back."

"Lucky for both of us." Pipsqueak smiled as he and Flurry joined them, their business concluded. "It was the kinder, gentler Diamond Tiara I fell in love with. If that change hadn't happened, we wouldn't be together right now."

"And Penny certainly wouldn't be here either." Diamond Tiara added.

"And wouldn't that be a shame?" Flurry made a funny face at Penny.

"He-he-he!" Penny giggled.

"One thing's for sure, I'm never going to treat Penny the way my mother treated me." Diamond Tiara pledged. "Like my love is something that needs to be earned, by acting the way I want her to act. I'll love her unconditionally, no matter what happens."

"That's the spirit, darling." Pipsqueak beamed, embracing his family.

"Aww!" Flurry cooed. "Isn't that the sweetest thing you've ever seen, Moony?"

"It is a touching family moment, I'll admit." Moongleam declared. She raised her hoof to wipe her eye. "My allergies must be acting up..."

"Must be." Flurry rolled her eyes. "Well, your honor, as much as we'd like to stick around, we really must be going. We have a festival to enjoy, and I have an aunt to visit."

"Of course." Pipsqueak nodded. "As always, it was a pleasure."

"Bah! Bah!" Penny waved her hooves in the girls' direction.

"Aw, I think somepony wants a goodbye hug!" Diamond Tiara cooed.

"Comin' right up, little missy." Flurry gave Penny a gentle, but warm, hug.

Penny then waved her hooves at Moongleam.

"Your turn, Moony." Flurry urged.

"If I must." Moongleam said haughtily... though she couldn't help smiling as she held the young foal.

"Hopefully, we'll see each again sooner, rather than late-" Flurry started.

She was interrupted by the office door opening. Spoiled Rich entered the room.

"Sorry to barge in unannounced." She declared, not a trace of regret on her face. "I just-" She realized Flurry was in the room. "Princess Flurry Heart!" She bowed. "So good to see you again!"

"You too, I guess..." Flurry said awkwardly.

"Pardon my forwardness, but did you speak to your parents regarding what we discussed during our last visit?" Spoiled Rich asked. "About them possibly endorsing the family business?"

"I did, actually." Flurry spoke the truth, having brought it up with her parents not long after their last encounter.

"And what did they say?" Spoiled Rich smiled hopefully.

"I'm sorry, but they said they can't endorse your business." Flurry declared. "They said, and I quote, 'We're royalty, not advertisers'. Sorry again, Mrs. Rich."

"Oh, I understand." Spoiled Rich said through gritted teeth, clearly not liking Flurry's answer, but unwilling to vent her anger on a royal. "Can't be helped, I suppose..."

"I'm glad you understand." Flurry smiled, not buying the act for a second. "But, as the mayor will tell you, we were just leaving. Come on, Moony. We've got a festival to enjoy, and another visit to make!"

"Right behind you." Moongleam nodded.

The two left Pipsqueak's office.

"Now, where is my little grandfoal?" Spoiled Rich turned back in the direction of her daughter. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were purposely trying to ensure I have as little time with her as possible!"

"Oh, that's just ridiculous, mother!" Diamond Tiara said awkwardly.

"Yeah, why would we possibly want to do that?" Pipsqueak rolled his eyes.

"Why indeed." Spoiled Rich said humorlessly as she picked up Penny. "Hello, little one. Aren't you going to say hello to your grandmare?"

"Pffft!" Penny splattered Spoiled Rich's face with spit. "He-hah!"

"Well, that's one way of saying 'hello'." Spoiled Rich wiped her face. "I don't blame you, dear. That's your father's side of the family showing through..."

"Seriously, mom?" Diamond Tiara scoffed. "I don't think I've ever seen Pip spit in my entire life."

"Well, Penny certainly pick that up from our side of the family." Spoiled Rich sneered. "Even as a foal, you knew how to behave yourself. I miss those days... and I'm not going to take the chance of Penny ending up as an ill-mannered little-"

"Pffft!" Penny sprayed her grandmother with saliva again.

"I think Penny has her own ideas of what' ill-mannered' means..." Pipsqueak smirked.

"And for the record, we think she's perfect just the way she is." Diamond Tiara took back her foal.

"Of course you do..." Spoiled Rich wiped her face again. "But I would prefer if my grandfoal didn't grow up to be an uncouth lout."

"And we'd prefer if our little Lucky Penny grew up to be the kind of pony she wants to be." Diamond Tiara said firmly. "And that's our final word on the matter, mother."

"Fine." Spoiled Rich scowled. "Then whatever becomes of that little filly is on your heads. Don't come crying to me about it."

"Don't worry, we won't." Pipsqueak scowled. "Now, if you don't mind, we'll be going out to lunch together soon, and I'd like to get my work done before that."

"Very well." Spoiled Rich huffed. "Ignore my grandmotherly advice at your peril."

"Good seeing you, mother." Diamond Tiara said flatly. "Give father my love, will you?"

"Of course." Spoiled Milk rolled her eyes as she departed.

Outside, Flurry and Moongleam saw that the festivities had finally started in earnest. Ponies were happily going from stall to stall, enjoying games, food and drink.

"Look at all this!" Flurry smiled.

"It certainly looks like they pulled out all the stops." Moongleam nodded. "What shall we try first?"

"How about some cotton candy?" Flurry suggested. "We could use the energy."

"Excellent reasoning." Moongleam agreed.

After getting some of the sugary treat, Flurry and Moongleam made their way through the festival, enjoying many of the attractions.

"You know, it's times like this that make me understand why my mom always speaks so highly of this town." Moongleam admitted. "It may be small, but they really know how to have fun here."

"No argument here." Flurry declared, enjoying a toffee apple. "I think we'll have a little more fun, then head over to- Aunt Twilight!"

Just across the street, Twilight and her family (Spike included) were also enjoying the festival.

"Flurry!" Twilight beamed.

"Hey!" Spike waved.

"We were just going to see you!" Flurry rushed over and hugged first her aunt, then Spike. "Should've known you'd be enjoying the festival."

"Looks like you had the same idea." Twilight chuckled. "Great minds, and all that... Though we thought your business with Mayor Pipsqueak would last a little longer."

"It would have, if we hadn't gotten an early train." Moongleam smiled.

"Just couldn't wait to see your aunt Twily, huh?" Flash grinned.

"I won't lie, that was a big part of it." Flurry shrugged. "But it's good to see all of you. Dusk, Starlight, how have you been?"

"Eh, same old, same old." Dusk shrugged. "Not that I'm complaining..."

"I've been great!" Starlight hugged her cousin. "Look how tall I'm getting!"

"Wow, you're really shooting up like a weed, aren't you?" Flurry chuckled.

"She's not the only one." Twilight smiled at Moongleam. "By Flurry's side as always, I see."

"What kind of friend would I be otherwise?" Moongleam grinned.

"Good answer." Twilight nodded.

"I was hoping we could head over to the castle, and have a talk." Flurry admitted. "But if you'd prefer to stay with the festival, I understand."

"I've been to the Ponyville Days festival lots of times over the year." Twilight declared. "I think I can afford to take time out from one of them."

"Really?" Flurry beamed. "Thanks, aunt Twily!"

"Anything for my favorite niece." Twilight chuckled. "Besides, I'm eager to hear all about your adventures."

"Moongleam, do you think you could stay with uncle Flash and the others?" Flurry asked. "It wouldn't be fair for all of you to miss out on the fun."

"No problem." Moongleam nodded.

"Be back soon." Twilight kissed Flash on the cheek.

"We'll try not to have too much fun while you're gone." Spike added. "No promises, though."

"Thanks, uncle Spike." Flurry chuckled.

Flurry and her aunt made their way to the Castle of Friendship. After Twilight made them tea, they sat down in the study, Flurry regaling Twilight about her various assignments across Equestria.

"Well, it sounds like you've been seeing a lot of excitement these past few months." Twilight mused. "Reminds me of the good old days..." She sighed nostalgically.

"Well, it hasn't been dull, that's for sure." Flurry joked. "Finally having royal duties of my own has been great, but honestly... what I've liked most is helping others along the way. Like Mrs. Greyfeather and Dodger, the Changelings, even the ponies of Las Pegasus."

"Well, you don't have to be royalty to help other ponies." Twilight noted. "Anypony can do it. But I'm glad you did. Because that's what a Princess really does: help her subjects."

"I know." Flurry nodded. "That's been the best part of this journey."

Just then, Discord appeared in his usual flash.

"Well, they do say the joy is in the journey." He smiled.

"Discord?" Flurry mused. "...It's been a while."

"Missed me, did you?" Discord smirked. "Totally understandable. Without me, there's a certain void in every pony's life."

"What brings you here?" Twilight asked.

"I just thought I'd drop by." Discord smiled. "I hadn't expected Flurry to be here, but I'm not complaining. Now we can discuss how well little Flurry has been doing, thanks to my guidance."

"Your guidance?" Flurry frowned.

"Of course." Discord smirked. "You said it yourself, my help during your first assignment made all the difference. And haven't I given you plenty of sage advice since then?"

"I guess..." Flurry shrugged.

"You guess?" Discord pouted. "You wound me, little Princess!"

"Well, you haven't been the only one giving me advice." Flurry pointed out. "Aunt Twilight gave me some good advice before that."

"I wasn't aware it was a competition." Discord frowned.

"Because it's not." Twilight rolled her eyes. "We've both provided Flurry with guidance, but it would be arrogant for either of us to assume full responsibility for all her achievements. She accomplished most of that herself."

"Aw, thanks, aunt Twily!" Flurry blushed.

"That's one way of looking at things." Discord shrugged. "I still prefer my reasoning, though."

"I do appreciate the help you've given me, Discord." Flurry assured him. "Even if it was given in a crazy, 'making it look like I'm not helping' kind of way."

"Now why does that sound familiar?" Twilight said sarcastically.

"Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Discord smirked. "Keep up the good work, though, Flurry." He conjured up a business suit for himself. "I'll be dropping by to evaluate your progress soon."

"I, er... look forward to it." Flurry declared.

"But for now, I must be off." Discord removed the suit, revealing a maid outfit underneath. "It's time for my regular spring cleaning over in Chaosville. So many dust bunnies to hide under the couch..."

Discord vanished.

"Well, that happened." Flurry joked.

"I've seen stranger things from Discord." Twilight rolled her eyes. "Compared to that, this is positively tame."

"Even with the interruption, it was great talking with you, aunt Twilight." Flurry declared. "Now, what do you say we head back outside, and enjoy the festival?"

"Of course." Twilight nodded. "From what I've heard, I'd say you've more than earned it."

Flurry and Twilight left the castle, and rejoined Moongleam and their family, enjoying the festivities. But as they say, time flies when you're having fun, and all too soon, Flurry and Moongleam had to return to the Crystal Empire. Twilight and the family decided to see them off.

"Keep being the best princess you can be, Flurry." Twilight hugged her niece.

"I will." Flurry beamed.

"And keep watching out for each other." Twilight added, placing a hoof on Moongleam's shoulder.

"We always do." Moongleam nodded.

"Catch ya later, cuz." Dusk smiled.

"But not too much later." Starlight added.

"Like anything could keep me away from my favorite cousins." Flurry chuckled.

"And favorite uncle." Spike added.

"Make that uncles, little buddy." Flash grinned.

The train pulled into the station.

"That's our ride." Moongleam noted.

"Bye, everypony!" Flurry waved. "See you soon!"

Twilight and her family waved as Flurry and Moongleam boarded the train. Flurry and Moongleam returned the gesture as the train made their way to the Crystal Empire, until the train station vanished from sight.

'Now that was a day to remember.' Flurry thought fondly as she sit back on her seat, Moongleam relaxing opposite her. 'Hopefully, I can make it to Ponyville Days next year...'