• Published 31st Oct 2017
  • 8,516 Views, 662 Comments

Secrets of the Mane Six - Starscribe



Everypony has their secrets. Twilight never imagined those her own best friends might be hiding from her, until one of her new duties as a princess brought her stumbling headlong into a side of Equestria she never even knew existed.

  • ...
14
 662
 8,516

Chapter 5.2: Beseechment

Twilight had only a single night to rest from her trip under the ocean. She slept uneasily, particularly with the tiny bar of metal under her pillow. She hadn’t ever had anything so valuable before, but considering everything riding on it, she couldn’t take the chance that something might happen.

Her alarm woke her an hour before dawn, with shrill beeping that echoed through the room and caused Spike to groan and roll over. “It’s not even light yet,” Spike moaned, covering his head with his pillow.

“Sorry, Spike,” Twilight whispered. “You can go back to bed. But…” She lifted the metal bar from under her pillow, settling it down next to him. “I have something for you to protect while I’m gone. I need you to hold on to this, okay? This is what I went to Princessport to get. Make sure it’s here for me when I get back, okay?”

Spike looked up, then down to the metal bar. “You want me to protect… that?”

She nodded. “Promise me. We got it for Rarity, I’m going to tell her you’re guarding it.”

“Then I’ll guard it,” he said, taking it in one claw. “You’re going somewhere magical again?”

She nodded grimly. “Hopefully for the last time. Feels like I’m about to end up somewhere I don’t want to be. I’m going somewhere under mysterious circumstances into powers I don’t understand. That’s what always happened this last week.”

“Be safe,” Spike said, hugging her. She returned the embrace, then let him get back to bed.

Few ponies were up so early, even in Ponyville. She could see a few weather ponies up in the sky, preparing for the imminent transition from spring to summer. But they wouldn’t be flying down to stop her.

There was only a single pony out on the streets, one who happened to be going the same way. At first she thought it might be Rarity, but as she got closer she could see the pony concealed by gloom was pushing a dessert-cart, limiting her speed on the cobblestone road.

Twilight caught up, slowing a little as she saw the one pushing. “Early morning sweets delivery, Pinkie?” The tray was packed with every sweet thing Twilight could think of—pastries and cupcakes and doughnuts and other desserts she had no names for. The order was so large it barely fit on all three levels of the tray. “Someone has quite the sweet tooth.”

Pinkie beamed in response, practically drooling whenever she looked up at the contents of her tray. But she hadn’t eaten anything off it yet. “I didn’t think so, but… I guess I need to make a few corrections in my party file.”

The road leading through the west of Ponyville only led to a few destinations, once they left the rest of the city proper behind. The school, which would be empty at this hour. And Fluttershy’s cabin. “Maybe it’s for her animals,” Twilight suggested. “Can animals eat sugar like this?”

“Not most of it,” Pinkie said. “Animals have different tastes than ponies. But… it isn’t for Fluttershy. Would you believe Rarity ordered all this? And she wants it delivered right outside the Everfree?” She lowered her voice to a mischievous whisper. “I dunno what kind of secret party she’s planning, but you have to keep it secret. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned anything.”

“My lips are sealed,” Twilight promised. “I was going that way anyway, I’ll come with you.”

“Really?” Pinkie’s eyebrows went up. “This isn’t another secret surprise party, is it? That didn’t work out so good last time.”

“It’s not,” she promised. “Or I don’t think it is. Rarity didn’t get very specific with me.”

Pinkie went back to her usual carefree bouncing. “Then the mystery deepens. A party so secret even the guests don’t know. Like a… double surprise party! Or maybe it’s a triple surprise, and not even Rarity knows!”

Outside Ponyville the road went from cobblestone to dirt, but Pinkie just kept pushing her cart. The first twinges of orange were just starting to break the horizon when the Everfree finally came into view. Rarity was waiting on the road, hiding in the trees so she wouldn’t be visible from the cabin. Fluttershy didn’t seem to be up yet.

“Do you see any party with those fancy new Alicorn eyes?” Pinkie asked.

“Nope.”

“Hmm.” Pinkie watched Rarity skeptically. “She better have a good explanation for this.”

They crossed the rest of the distance at a brisk trot. Twilight made sure Pinkie had her attention fixed on Rarity, then surrounded them with a bubble of silence. The cart’s loud metal creaks and rumbles wouldn’t penetrate to the cabin beyond.

“I have your order,” Pinkie said, stopping just inside the trees and holding out a sheet of paper. “Two dozen assorted doughnuts, six snickerdoodles, six chocolate chip—”

Rarity signed at the bottom of the sheet, passing it back with a check already filled-out. “It looks good, Pinkie. Thanks so much. And I did mean what I said about the discretion. I’d rather nopony else finds out about this.”

“Twilight found out,” Pinkie pointed out. “She’s right here, see?”

“Yes, I do.” Rarity gestured. “I’ll bring the cart back in an hour or so, would that be alright? We need to take care of this ourselves.”

Pinkie nodded reluctantly. “I guess I could. Wouldn’t you rather have me help? I’m really good at parties!”

“It’s not a party,” Rarity said. “Honestly. I think you’d be terribly bored.”

“If you say so.” Pinkie took a few steps back. “Mystery ponies with a whole party’s worth of food, hiding in the Everfree. Nothing suspicious about this.”

“We’re helping ponies,” Twilight said. “That’s the important part.”

“If you say so!” Pinkie turned, bouncing away down the path.

But they didn’t stay to watch her go. Instead Rarity gestured into the Everfree. “We don’t have to go very far. I’ve prepared everything, there’s a clearing this way. Could you levitate the cart for me? Don’t spill, we don’t have many backups.”

Twilight did as she was told, and did something she’d always been told never to do in the Everfree.

They left the path.

Even knowing Ponyville was so close, a few steps were all it took to transform the world to a maze of trees and thick brambles, obscuring the way they’d come and any trace of the forest’s end. It always seemed like the Everfree had its own agenda: it didn’t want ponies to leave.

But there was a clearing, just as Rarity said. There was a pond at its center, with a towering willow tree beside it.

“Took me awhile to find it,” Rarity admitted. “Two days of searching. You won’t believe how muddy I got.” Rarity stopped beside something so small Twilight had almost missed it: a circle of fat white mushrooms in the grass.

Rarity had arranged various flat stones around the circle, with four of the largest set at the points of the compass. It was ritual magic if ever Twilight had seen it, though it was certainly the most esoteric spell she’d ever seen arranged. Each of the senses were represented along the outside, with little musical instruments, burning incense. Rarity began levitating the food down into the empty quadrant of the spell, to go with the packets of seeds that had already been there.

“How often do rituals like this actually do anything?” Twilight asked, taking in the whole thing in just a few seconds. “I’m not sure this will work…”

“I know it seems far-fetched,” Rarity answered, rising from the ground a second later. Most of the food was still on the tray—exactly six of each item she’d ordered in every case. “But I trust my sources on this. You wouldn’t if I told you how I knew… but you’re rather new at this, as you said. And if I’m wrong, I suppose we’ll have to use this to throw a surprise party just as Pinkie said.”

She gestured to the point of the circle, the transition between the food and seeds and green of spring and the flames and dried grain of summer. “Stand there, if you would. Don’t touch anything yet! I’ll give you the words in a moment.”

“Okay,” Twilight said, walking slowly around the circle. “I really don’t like how superstitious this looks, but… I’ve been wrong about a lot of things lately.” She sat down just past all the objects, looking in at the ring of mushrooms. “Why not just make this a spell diagram? All these somatic components…”

“Because it doesn’t need a unicorn to cast, I think,” Rarity answered. “Anypony can call the fair folk, it’s just that they’re only required to answer you. Which is… I suppose this is the time I warn you about what you’re about to do.”

Twilight nodded. “You think?”

“Well, take every promise seriously. Don’t ever say anything you know is a lie around them, that’s said to always make them furious. And… you aren’t carrying any cold iron, are you?”

“Uh…” She glanced down at herself. “I’m naked, Rarity. And it’s already seventy out. It wouldn’t be cold.”

“That’s not what…” She cleared her throat. “Nevermind, you don’t have any, so that’s not an issue. Just be quite certain that you return before sunrise, and you don’t make any agreements with anypony you meet that you don’t intend to keep. It doesn’t matter how impossible their promises sound—expect them to be enforced. Other than that, there’s not much more I can tell you. They swear ponies to secrecy who deal with them, even the princesses. I’m sure when you return you won’t be able to expand our knowledge much. But if you bring the herb, that’s all that matters.”

She levitated a slip of paper over to Twilight, written in her own elegant script. “So what, I just read this? No actual spell at all?”

Rarity nodded. “That’s what they say. We’ve done everything else correctly, as far as my sources suggest. If this works, we’ll be able to confirm that part of the myth anyway. Just read it, and the fae who rules over spring should appear inside.”

There’s no way this does buckin’ anything, Twilight thought. She’d seen some incredible things over the last week, gone places that she didn’t think could exist. But all that had been real magic. The more of this she saw, the more it looked like desperate superstition. I’m sorry we won’t be able to cure your sister, Rarity. It’s not Sweetie’s fault. There might be other magical methods they could use when this failed—historical studies of the destroyed land, or maybe consulting with Discord directly.

But that could wait. Twilight held out the sheet of paper and began to read.

“You’re, uh… you got the last line wrong,” said a voice from behind her. Twilight spun around, and wasn’t entirely surprised to see a pink pony standing there.

Of course you didn’t go home. You were too curious about Rarity’s secret party.

“Pinkie dear, I’m terribly sorry, but we do need some privacy. If you could leave us a moment, I promise to explain everything I can when we’re finished.”

Pinkie ignored her, stepping right up beside Twilight. She had a quill—Twilight didn’t question where she’d got it—and she crossed out a few words of the poem, writing new ones.

“There,” Pinkie declared, beaming at them both. “Go now.”

“How?” Twilight asked, eyes wide. “How do you know?”

“Twilight, I don’t think we should be encouraging her. She’ll just get more interested in what we’re doing. We can’t possibly perform the spell while she’s here.”

Pinkie kept ignoring her. “It’s an old earth pony thing. Granny Pie taught me when I was a filly. Never anger the earth if you want her to give you a good harvest.”

She was probably right about her corrections—but that also meant this was just superstition. Twilight cleared her throat, then read a second time, this time using Pinkie’s corrections.

As before, there were no magical effects, at least not the kind of magic she was used to. The wind in the untamed Everfree canopy faded to the background, and one by one all the nearby birds fell silent.

Even Rarity held still, until Twilight had finished. “See, this is what I meant. There aren’t supposed to be too many witnesses… Pinkie dear, I don’t think you should—”

But Pinkie was still ignoring her. With a single bounce, Pinkie leapt over the ritual circle and landed right in the center of the ring, facing Twilight.

In an instant, every component of the ritual vanished. The fires went out, the little wind chimes disappeared, and the plates of sweets were empty. Except for a little frosting on Pinkie’s upper lip.

Twilight’s eyes widened, searching the clearing around them. It wasn’t just the food—Rarity was gone now too, and the path they’d taken through the Everfree was no longer there. The trees seemed even larger than she was used to, towering and ominous.

“The protectors of Equestria call for the ones who guard the seasons four,” Pinkie sang, her voice melodic. And just like that, she looked different too. There were little sprigs of living plants in her mane, turning it green at the roots. And she had a crown—a wreath of flowers, seeming to float above her head. “For spring and every growing thing, I hear you.”

Twilight’s mouth hung open, slack-jawed. Pinkie didn’t pressure her—for a minute or more she just stood there. Every few seconds something sweet appeared in her hooves, and she ate it with her usual relish. Then she’d reach to the edge of the circle, grab something else from empty air, and repeat the ritual. Six times for each item.

“Pinkie,” she finally said. “You’ll… have to give me a minute. I’ve had so many existential resets in the last week that I’m having trouble identifying reality.”

Pinkie sat back on her haunches, grinning. “The Alicorn came to the wrong place for clarity. Faewyld’s trees grow tall, and the wind whispers all the old songs. What was matters more than what is.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. You’re probably serious about that somehow. At least going under the ocean had made sense, in its own strange way. Those were just ponies with fewer legs.

I don’t need to understand this place. I don’t need to stay. “Pinkie,” she said, clearing her throat and looking directly at her friend. So long as she didn’t let her attention wander outside the circle, she didn’t have to see how strange the world got.

“I’ve come because I need to find something, an ancient herb that’s long gone. Rarity thinks that the Spring Queen can help us. I think they call it ‘Moly,’ it’s got black roots and—”

Pinkie finished eating, licking her lips with characteristic vigor. Then she stepped out of the circle, lowering her voice to a whisper. “I know what you’re asking. Do you?”

She didn’t give Twilight a chance to answer, just bounced past her to the edge of the large willow tree. Its leaves were no longer green, but deep purple, though it looked like the same tree in every other way.

“No,” Twilight admitted. “I don’t even know what just happened. I don’t know where we are, or what you are, or any of this. But that’s just been my life for the last week, I can do it one more time.”

“Not that.” Pinkie looked away, expression distant and troubled. “Even if we’re friends, I can’t just give it to you. There are others—a court I answer to, and the other seasons. I have to follow all the old laws.”

“What does it take?” Twilight asked, rising sluggishly to her hooves. “Another incredible quest to the end of the world, right? I need to gather twelve gemstones of chaos, and unite them under the full moon using the blood of a goat, or…”

Pinkie started laughing, the most familiar thing she’d done so far. Her giggle echoed through the clearing, and through the forest all around them. “No,” she finally said, settling a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Nothing like that. You’re not asking to see into outer darkness, or create love where there was none. A plant is easy.”

“Then what?” Twilight asked. “I’m not supposed to tell you why, but it’s really important I get it.”

Pinkie let go, turning away from her. “You have to come to the garden and pick it yourself. Then make it back to Equestria before sunrise.”

That’s it? Twilight hurried to catch up with her. She didn’t know the Everfree that well, but she had a good sense Pinkie was traveling the wrong way. But as she reached the edge of the clearing, thick brambles and dense shrubs all moved out of the way, opening in a decorative arch onto a cobblestone path just wide enough for two ponies to walk.

“I can take you to the garden,” Pinkie said. “But that’s all. The solstice is tonight, you might know. It’s the second-most important party of my season.”

“Your season,” Twilight repeated. “How is… Are you allowed to tell me what’s going on here?”

“That depends,” Pinkie answered, beaming. “Can you keep a secret?”