• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 782 Views, 4 Comments

The Night has Claws - Certifiable Insanity



A thousand years ago Luna left for parts unknown and for all that time Celestia has been searching desperately to find her beloved sister. Yet she may need to put her search aside as the Griffons have returned and are demanding a parlay.

  • ...
 4
 782

A Night of Change (Revised)

Chapter 1: A Night of Change

The night, no one loved it.

No matter how hard she tried.

Princess Luna had tried, every night the sky was different, more beautiful than the last, but no one cared they either slept through it or resented it.

The midnight blue alicorn overlooked her balcony and sighed morosely.

"Tis not fair that our dear sister gets to revel in the love of her subjects." Luna began. "While we are shunned and left alone."

Luna returned to her room and lay down on her bed.

"We have tried to show our love." Luna whispered. "yet we are ignored."

The door to her room creaked open and a white alicorn entered.

"Luna?" the alicorn whispered.

"Tia, it's late why are thou not in thine bed?" Luna asked.

"The outer sentries alerted me that you were staring out mournfully on your balcony just like you have been for the last few nights." Celestia answered. "I'm worried about you sister."

Luna merely looked away and lay her head down on her bed. Celestia sighed, she knew exactly why Luna was like this, few of her ponies had true reverence for the night. yes some had respect for it but true reverence for the night. Celestia had never heard of a pony in the land that had at one point bowed their head and said "Thank you Luna for this wonderful sky and this beautiful night." no too many the night was only looked forward too for curling up and sleeping to rejuvenate the body for the next day. again she sighed a she entered her room and curled up on her bed to drift off into sleep.

"Quite the Hypocrite I am." Celestia whispered in irritation. "Here I lay to sleep for the night while I think ill of other ponies for doing the same."

Yet another sigh.

"I hope you find somepony who appreciates your night Luna." Celestia whispered as she looked out her glass doors of her balcony towards the night sky. "As much as I do."

Celestia yawned and let sleep take her.

Luna decided to wander the gardens. Perhaps to clear her mind or maybe to just get away, she honestly did not know. but she did know that it was not helping. Her mind was still clouded with doubtful thoughts.

"Does anyone appreciate my night as more then just a time for rest?" Luna asked no one in particular before whispering. "One way to find out."

Luna closed her eyes and projected her astral form across the dreams of the ponies. There were a few that gave her hope notably a sore few but many seemed to dream about the sun or there dreams were based during the day. however there was a dream that caught her attention, a far off dream one that showed a grand kingdom cloaked in a glorious night and ruled by-

"You highness?"

Luna turned to see one of Celestia's many guards behind her. the guard noticed that he had surprised her and bowed.

"Forgive me for not announcing my presence, I just saw you out here alone."

Luna dismissed the guards worry.

"We are fine dutiful guardspony, but your concern is noted and I am grateful." Luna stated.

"Why are you out here princess, should you not be at the night court?"

Luna shook her head at the guards question.

"No one comes to the night court." Luna answered mournfully.

"That can't be true I swear tha-."

"No loyal guard." Luna interupted. "I'm lucky if the perimeter guard patrol even acknowledges me as they pass by."

The guard merely turned away.

"I'm sorry princess."

Luna did not reply. she just looked towards the east towards the dream she had found.

"I will find the ones who loved the night." Luna murmured.

She returned to the castle and to her room to leave Celestia a note to tell of her departure and reassure her that nothing was wrong. Once that was done she left to her balcony.

"I shall be back soon sister."

With that Luna spread her wings and took off towards the east still following the dream's call.

Luna should have known something was amiss much earlier. no ponies lived this far, this was outside her sister's empire, it was her's too, after all it was a diarch. But back to the situation at hand. She knew she was now outside Equestria's borders she was now in the far east, beyond ponykinds reach.

"There were other's who lived this far out." Luna muttered. "But who?"

Pain. that's the next thing Luna felt. She was falling. Then darkness.


"Is she awake yet?" A voice asked.

Luna opened her eyes, her vision was blurred. two figures were in view.

"She would have been awake by know if you had not taken her out of the sky you moron." the left figure stated.

"Sorry." the voice from before which must have come from somepony outside of her view at the moment replied.

Her vision began to clear and she realized that the term somepony was wrong. After all these were Griffon and not Ponies.

"Oh shes awake." the Griffon to her right stated.

Luna turned to the Left and saw a black griffon wearing patchwork leather armor.

"Forgive me for my comrade's attack on you, glorious goddess of the moon." The Griffon said as he bowed.

Luna merely gazed in suprise at this action.

"Why would'st thou bow to me I am not of your kin?" Luna asked.

"Your nights grant us opportunity which the day steals from us." The griffon answered.

"Thieves and brigands." Luna hissed.

The griffon shook his head.

"No your highness, we are revolutionaries." The Griffon stated. "Our tyrant king feeds his greed and leaves us to suffer, Griffonstone lies in ruins and famine, disease, crime all run rampant in our once glorious kingdom."

Luna put a hoof to her muzzle.

"Our people are starving and right now we don't have the strength to mount a counter attack." The black griffon whimpered. "setback after setback have left us divided, leaderless."

Luna stamped her hoof in anger.

"If your kin are in need you should be helping them not fighting among yourselves like diamond dogs!" Luna shouted.

"Don't you get it." The Griffon growled. "Our greed is taking root again each wants to be leader."

"Then measure must be taken." Luna hissed. "You must make them listen."

The Griffon shook his head and lowered it.

"I am not a leader." He whispered before lifting his head his eyes holding a devious glint. "But you they will bow to, our moon goddess."

Luna actually took a step back.

"We-We could not possibly take such a post." Luna stated.

"But you can, they will listen to you." The Griffon stated before turning and motioning for her to follow.

Luna followed the griffon leaving the other two sitting there staring at each other in confusion. Their walk took them through tunnels made of dirt and supported by wooden supports. Luna surmised that they were in an old mine shaft. But the room the entered was brick and at the far end was a glorious purple banner with 3 claw marks with a crescent moon in the background on it for an emblem. Her wonder of the banner and room were disturbed when she finally noticed the noisy bickering of the large amount of griffons in the room, it did not take super hearing for Luna to understand what they were all arguing about.

"ATTENTION!" The black griffon yelled.

No one turned and the black griffon tried again, and again, aaannnddd again. Until Luna put a hoof on his shoulder and whispered for him to over his ears. Twas time for Luna's special attack.

"SILENCE!" She screamed in her well respected and feared Royal Canterlot Voice.

All the Griffons turned.

"I came here when one of you called upon me for help." Luna stated, it was a lie, maybe, perhaps the dream was a call for help. "And here I find that instead of heroic Griffons ready to fight for their kin, I find greedy cowards fighting among themselves to the point where the sacrifice of your dead leader would mean nothing!"

All Griffons stopped and turned to each other their eyes filled with sorrow, they began exchanging unspoken apologies.

"Let Your Heroic leader not die in vain but become a Martyr to your cause." Luna began again. "Look inside yourselves you know one among you holds the traits of a leader you need just give them the support they need and then again you can march to liberate your kin and your homeland."

"She's right." A Griffon stated as she approached.

Luna took note of her unique traits. first off her feathers were an sleek obsidian except for the ones on her belly which were a silver like white. additionally where usually Griffons had the back of a lion she had the back of a snow leopard.

"We are at your command." The Griffoness bowed. "Your highness."

Luna sighed when she noticed that all griffons had begin to bow to her.

"Very well, I shall help you usher in a grand era for the griffon's." Luna said. "We shall topple the tyrannical regime of King Goldwings and usher in a new age."

"Welcome to the Black Talons, Luna." the Griffoness stated.


The following months were not much to talk about. Covert strikes on soft and hard targets, guerrilla warfare, and of course changing the hearts and minds of a shattered people. all in all with Luna on their side things went pretty well. She had learned that the snow leopard griffon was from a Family referred to as the Clan Evernight they were an old family devoted to the ancient griffon prosperity an would do anything to see it back thus they began this rebellion.

And now it has all come to this. The Assault on Griffonstone Castle. The town looked quite sad and run down considering it's history and the part it played after the sacking of the original capital of the Griffons during their war with the Minotaurs, The only notable icon was the Tyrants stone castle that sat in the middle of the town at the very peak of the mountain it inhabited.

The size of the rebellion had grown unbelievably with the displaced and unhappy villages pledging their support. The attack would be straight forward the town surrounding Goldwing's castle was undefended due to him pulling back his guard to protect him and most likely the people were ready to revolt. The guard was questioning him and desertions have already happened. Luna was actually wondering whether they should actually attack or just sit outside and wait for his own men to drag him out and surrender.

(I cannot write an epic battle for this part it's not supposed to be epic anyways Goldwings is unimportant and is just there to set the story.)

The battle itself was short they passed through the town some griffons jumped the walls and knocked out the sentries. The castle was the same too, with disgruntled guards that either fought pathetically or just gave up. The throne room however was a grand place with gold laden walls and treasure stacked all around the room. The doors kicked open and Luna along with many Griffons both rebel and even peasants walked in to find Goldwings alone on his throne. He was quite regular for a king and matching his status as a greedy king he was quite overweight. He tried to keep a calm demeanor but Luna knew he was terrified.

"alright you beat me." He said bowing low and gracelessly.

The griffons a gazed at him in disgust. Some moved to block the exits as he decided to try and leave.

"You are not going anywhere." Evernight shrieked. "When a new leader takes the throne you will be judged. but for now you will go to the dungeons."

Two guards grabbed him and dragged the fat griffon off despite his protests. Luna turned towards the throne room and motioned for the peasants to gather and disperse to gold.

"Now we must find a suitable ruler." Luna stated.

The other griffon sighed.

"We've already talked about this." Evernight began. "Luna by right of triumph and as witnesses here we declare you Queen of the rising Order of the Night!"

Luna turned around in surprise and noticed that all the Griffons in the room had bowed to her. Luna nodded and smiled.

"Very well my subjects I will endeavor to be a gracious ruler and bring the Griffons back to their former glory." Luna declared.

The Griffons cheered.


1000 years later

A white Griffoness soared across the Equestrian skies. her flight pattern was slightly erratic.

"Ugh, Could they have not given me better landmarks to identify?" She asked herself. "A giant tree library in the center of a cozy hamlet like i am going t-."

Said Cozy little hamlet appeared. and the Griffon smirked before realization hit her.

"Crap, I went the wrong direction, Ponyville is South west of Canterlot." The Griffoness groaned. "Which mean in need to go north-ea-"

"Watch out!" A rainbow zoomed by and nearly knocked the Griffoness out of the sky.

"Sorry." called a tomboyish voice.

The Griffoness turned around and glared at a teal Pegasus with a rainbow coloured mane and tail.

"Watch it dweeb!" The Griffoness shrieked.

"Well excuse me princess." The Pony replied.

The Griffoness was ready to go again but then remembered her mission.

"Listen I'm...I'm sorry, I'm lost right now." the Griffoness stated.

"Where you going?" The Pony asked.

"Canterlot."

The Pony merely pointed to the nearby mountain and the Griffoness turned to see the distant outline of a castle on it's side and face-taloned.

"Thanks...um?"

"Rainbow dash!" The pony answered. "You?"

"Gilda." The Griffoness replied.

Rainbow Dash took off again leaving Gilda to fly towards Canterlot where she was stopped at the gates by the guards where no matter what she said she had wait for approval.

Navigating the winding streets of Canterlot due to a no fly rule. Unhelpful and suspicious guards. Setting up a meeting and of course more guard based delays.

"Bloody racists." Gilda growled as she finally entered Celestia's Throne room. Lo and behold there she was smiling at Gilda.

"I must admit I am surprised when my attendant told me that a Griffon had arrived." Celestia stated. "What do I owe the pleasure of your company it's been too long since I heard from your kind."

Gilda merely pulled out the letter she was given and held it out while lowering her head.

"Honorable Princess Celestia, Our Empress wishes to rekindle the ancient yet broken ties that our kingdoms once held." Gilda said.

Celestia stopped and gave Gilda a baffled look before taking the letter and reading it she frowned when she saw the seal of the Black Claws.

"I don't recognize the seal." Celestia stated.

"for the last thousand years a new monarch has taken the throne away from the greedy king goldwings."

"Moltingage?" Celestia asked in confusion. "Didn't know he was that arrogant."

Celestia took the letter and begun to read it.

Dearest Princess Celestia.

I hope this letter find you in good health. I am unaware of your knowledge on current Griffon affairs so this may come as a surprise but for the last thousand years the empire has been rebuilding from the tyrannical reign of a rather poor ruler. However we have recently regained our past glory and our grand Empress has requested to reestablish our ancient ties as allies.

We ask Humbly for you to come to Griffonstone to discuss the futures of both species. However should it be too uncomfortable for you to enter the heart of our Empire so soon we shall arrange to convene talks in Canterlot or a location in between.

Please send your reply back with Noble Messenger Gilda.

Sincerely
Aleron Lightcrest
Imperial Envoy and Diplomatic Advisory.

Celestia rolled up the note and turned to Gilda.

"I will be back with my reply in a moment." Celestia stated before turning to the royal guard captain who was in the room. "Captain Armor."

"Yes my princess?" Armor replied.

"Please prepare me a small escort for my trip to Griffonstone."

The royal guard Captain looked surprised but nodded and left the throne room. meanwhile Gilda was also surprised. But Celestia gave her no time to reply as she wrote her lettered reply and handed it to Gilda who took it and left quickly. Celestia then decided it was time to visit her pupil.


Lunar star charts, various maps of Equestria, and of course books. They were scattered all across the room of the lavender furred unicorn known as Twilight Sparkle. Celestia had given her a very specific task to do at her leisure. Find Princess Luna. Twilight could see it in her teacher, whenever Luna was brought up sorrow would flash in her eyes, when she was alone she cried for her sister, for few understood the sun goddess as much as her sibling. It got worse the longer her disappearance went on in fact Celestia became prone to snapping, doubly so when servants and guards whined about the night. But most understood the why she did it. Luna had left with only a note with a very poor excuse. And so currently Twilight was engaged in a bit of tome scouting

"I found a few more books pertaining to the Issue twilight." A certain baby dragon replied.

"Thanks Spike." Twilight replied.

The door was suddenly opened and Celestia walked into the Hybrid bedroom/observatory/library.

"Princess." Twilight gasped. "You are usually quite busy at this time."

Celestia merely laughed.

"Alas it seems all these menial princess things will be on hold for a while." Celestia stated. "I suggest you grab some essentials, we are heading for Griffonstone."

Twilight's eyes widened.

"Griffonstone?" Twilight asked. "Why?"

"Diplomatic reasons." Celestia answered. "I was going to send you to Ponyville to watch over the Summer Sun Celebration, but that can wait."

"But what about my investigations into Luna's disppearance?"

Twilight actually went quite afterwards but noticed that instead of a sad look Celestia looked quite hopeful.

"Remember that Luna went east and the Griffon kingdom is east." Celestia stated. "They may at least know where she went."


In a few moments Twilight, Spike and Celestia were in the courtyard where a situation was likely to develop.

"Shining." Celestia began. "I said a small escort not my entire castle garrison."

True to what Celestia said Twilight could see that Her brother had in fact gathered a lot of guardsponies.

"Celestia." Shining began.

"No Captain armor how would you like it if the Griffon Empress brought an entire regiment with her should she visit?" Celestia asked. "You would be suspicious, so how do you think she would feel if we do the same, Six guards and you plus your sister here."

Shining reluctantly nodded and dismissed all but six of the guards.

A long dull train ride later they had gotten off at the Griffonstone train station. where they were greeted by two Griffons in black armor. the armor itself put the pony royal guards to shame. Full set with visor's covering the eyes but what Celestia noticed most was the crescent moon symbol on the chest of the armor. the Two Griffon's bowed.

"Greetings Princess Celestia, We have been chosen to escort you to Eclipse Precipice." One of the griffons stated.

Celestia nodded and the guards turned and motioned for the group to follow. Celestia had noted that the worn roads have recently been repaired and new paths were made.

"With our recent expansion and the outburst of new towns around we have decided to make new roads and repair the old ones." One of the griffon stated.

"So what is the Eclipse Precipice?" Shining asked.

"The castle the replaced the old goldwing castle." The other griffon answered. "The New castle was built in her honor."

"Her? The Empress you mean?" Twilight asked.

"Yes don't worry you will meet her soon." The first Griffon answered.

The group came to the end of the incline and gasped. in the distance was Griffonstone. it had been more than a thousand years since Celestia had seen it and it was way different. The mountain that the town was built on had changed little, but the run down shacks that would have usually surrounded the mountain were now replaced with expertly crafted houses and even pathways allowing navigation around the mountain. there was even a Wall at the base of the mountain. But what caught Celestia's attention was what was at the top of the mountain. A massive black Castle that was both beautiful and intimidating. But Celestia had seen such a castle before. In her deepest nightmares, in these dreams though such a castle replaced the ruins of her old castle, and from there Luna would march with an army of Shadow beings upon Canterlot. Celestia closed her eyes and willed the memories of the dream away. Luna was not evil she was just lost.

"I will find you sister." Celestia said to herself.

The two Griffon soldiers heard her and smirked at each other before nodding to a nearby structure. Which housed an Airship.

"Normally we would just fly directly there." One of the griffon soldiers stated before nodding to the Unicorns among the group. "Considering we don't all have wings we will take an airship."

"Always wanted to ride one of these." Twilight chimed.

The group boarded the rugged Airship after being cheerfully welcomed by it's Griffon captain who immediately took them to the lowest district which circled the mountain.

"Wish I could take ya further but these guys haven't given me permits to dock in the upper level airship docks." The captain stated as they left the ship. "Military authorization and all that."

The group took some time to take in the sight's of the new Griffonstone. The houses had a very homely look to them. The streets were clean and surprisingly quiet except for patrols of Griffon guard's wearing different armor than the two accompanying the group.

"Odd you'd think for a major city like this there would be a lot more activity." One of Celestia's Pegasus guard's stated. "And those soldier's why the different uniform.?"

"Tonight is Liberation Night and everygryph loves that celebration a lot, it's very active." One of the soldier's replied. "And those Gryphs are Town watch, We are Imperial Talons, 4th division to be exact."

The chat had ended when they arrived at the castle. Once again more waiting. finally they were inside and able to get a good look at the decor. Celestia was quite unerved. Everything about the castle seemed to give off reverence to the night and the moon. the castles colours were black and various shades of blue and purple along with a lot of banner with symbols that Celestia realized look too much like her dear sister's cutie mark.

Have you touched these being's Luna, Have you met them for they seem to revere you, or at least your night.

Now they were navigating the castle towards the throne room which was quite visible in the hall they were in for it's massive Obsidian coloured doors. As they approached the two guards at the door bowed and pulled open the door revealing the glorious throne room. It looked like a reflection of her own in Canterlot only if it was catered to Luna instead of her. Celestia slowly trotted into the center of the room in a dreamlike state as she admired the rooms design.

"I wish you could see this my sister, these being's seem to revere your night." Celestia said. "I wish you could witness this with me, Luna."

Twilight had gasped behind her.

"I have already witnessed it."

Celestia's eyes widened and she turned around to come face to face with her long lost sister. Luna the Alicorn of the Night.

"Hello big sister." Luna whispered.

Author's Note:

Um Hi. I Hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my story. I will be honest I have not checked around that much so I don't know if there are any stories which mine may seem disturbingly familiar too. (I hope not don't want to get blamed for plagiarism.)
Anyways I really only wish to request that my story be rated and reviewed fairly.