• Published 8th Jul 2012
  • 4,022 Views, 227 Comments

Bedtime Stories - Incredible Blunderbolt



A collection of short stories ranging from 300 to 5000 words.

  • ...
14
 227
 4,022

Chocolate

She's not gonna like it...

Don't be stupid! Who doesn't like chocolate?

It's not that, it's the day!

Duh, that's kinda the point!

The box tucked under my wing weighed a lot more than it should have. It was heart-shaped, as befitted the season, and the brightest shade of red imaginable. I gulped and knocked on the hard, wooden door to the library. Seconds passed, and nothing happened. My legs seemed to grow shakier as the time slipped by.

This was a bad idea...

C'mon! You're really gonna run away now? What kind of daredevil are you?

The door drew open; my heart skipped a beat. A beautiful lavender alicorn stood in the doorway, her eyes shining like amethysts.

The kind that doesn't take stupid chances...

"Oh! Hello, Rainbow Dash!" Twilight said cheerfully. "What brings you here?"

I bit my lip and looked away—I learned a long time ago that, if I stare at her too long, I'd start blushing; that was the absolute last thing I'd need right now. "Uh... I..."

"Rainbow? Are you hyperventilating?"

That got my attention. I wasn't hyperventilating, was I?

Come to think of it, my breathing did seem to be a little fast—like just ran a marathon fast.

Oh, Celestia, this is so uncool...

Forget it! Just bail!

"No!" I screamed, throwing the box to the ground. Twilight jumped back in surprise, taking cover behind the door as the container flew into the space she once occupied and landed on the floor of the library.

"R-Rainbow?" came her worried voice a second later, but I was already in the air.

I flapped my wings as hard as I possibly could, each stroke getting me farther and farther away from the train-wreck I'd just made. My eyes were watering, but I didn't care—they always do that when I muck this up.

Great job, fearsome daredevil! Make sure you look as brave as possible while you run away!

Hearts and Hooves Day is a stupid holiday...

Author's Note:

The TwiDash group hosts a little game where we take turns throwing prompts at each other and claiming them. I was too late to claim this one for myself, so I didn't post it in the thread—but it inspired me, so I had to write it.

If it's too short for your liking, it's because the prompts are only supposed to be 100-500 words long. However, I might make a sequel; I hate sad endings.