• Published 8th Jul 2012
  • 4,025 Views, 227 Comments

Bedtime Stories - Incredible Blunderbolt



A collection of short stories ranging from 300 to 5000 words.

  • ...
14
 227
 4,025

Static

The only light in the room came from the fireplace, just like always. Twilight hummed contentedly as she dug her way deep under my wing, just like always. I ran a hoof down her mane, tracing her beautiful locks down her neck; they were silky and smooth, just like always.

Three...

Two...

One...

Twilight craned her head up and pecked me on the cheek, just like always; it was soft and sweet, just like always. Tonight, though, her expression was different. Instead of her usual look of love and compassion, she wore a frown on her face. “Dashie?” she whispered gently, her eyes shimmering. “Are you okay?”

I frowned and looked at the fireplace. “I'm fine,” I said. “I'm perfect, actually. Everything's perfect...”

A lavender hoof settled on my cheek and steered my gaze back to its owner. “Then what's wrong?” she asked.

My ears drooped. “I'm sorry, Twi,” I muttered, “ I didn't mean to ruin our night...”

“You haven't ruined anything,” she said with a half-smile, rubbing her hoof deeper into my cheek. “Now tell me what's wrong.”

I sighed. “It's just...” I stumbled for words—there was no real way to say it other than the blunt way. “I'm bored.”

Twilight cocked an eyebrow. “You're bored?”

“Yeah,” I grumbled, looking down at the floor. “Don't you ever feel like we kinda do the same thing over and over?”

Lavender eyes narrowed. “So what, you're bored with me?”

“No!” I said quickly, tightening my hold on her before she could stomp off. “I just... I feel like we're just going through the motions, y'know? I mean, what did we do last night? And the night before? And the night before that?”

Twilight's jaw fell. “I... you're right...”

I bit my lip. Was this it? I didn't want it to be. I thought we were happy, but maybe we just weren't supposed to be together. Even after all the effort I'd put into getting her to go out with me, two months later, we were boring. Maybe she was going to just give up, and that would be that.

I hoped she didn't.

“I-I don't wanna—“ Suddenly, I was pushed to the ground and my vision was filled my lavender. My lips were sealed by hers and she pinned my forelegs to the floor.

“Wh-what're you doing?” I panted when she broke the kiss.

Standing tall over me, Twilight smirked, her eyes sparkling in the firelight. “Shaking things up a bit...”

Author's Note:

Prompt was "Static."

I know, I know, I'm stretching the limits of interpretation, but nobody was taking it and somebody needed to move the thread along.