• Published 24th Mar 2017
  • 2,844 Views, 62 Comments

Dragon Ball TX - MidnightTwister



Young Saiyan Cloud has lived in the Everfree Forest for a long time, but hasn't once considered leaving to explore the world, not until he happens upon three young fillies after fishing!

  • ...
5
 62
 2,844

Episode 5: ABC's, Easy as 123

Ponyville Saga

Episode 5: ABC’s, Easy as 123!

The group consisting of Cloud, Spike, Twilight, and Rarity entered the Carousel Boutique. “Alright, Cloud, right this way!” Rarity said, motioning the Saiyan to a chair. “Now sit still so I can get to work on repairing your clothes.” She added. He sat down in the chair with his legs crossed as Rarity levitated a pair of fancy glasses, a mane tie, a sewing needle, and green thread over. She put the glasses on, bound her mane in ponytail, and got to sewing.

Cloud craned his head towards Rarity who stood behind him sewing. “How long is this gonna take?” He asked.

“Hmm, my best guess is somewhere around an hour.” The fashion mare guessed.

The boy was surprised greatly by this answer. “I have to sit still that long?” He complained. “Can we do this later?”

Rarity continued to work on restoring Cloud’s clothes. “We could do it now or we could do it later, but either way it’ll take an hour all the same.” She said to the boy. “We might as well do it now and get it over with…” She added.

As Cloud sat bored as Rarity was sewing, Twilight opened up her saddlebag and took out a children’s book. The lavender unicorn walked over to Cloud and said, “I thought it might take a while for Rarity to fix your clothes, so I figured I could start teaching you a little bit on how to read!” She showed him the book in question: it was an ABC’s book with a variety of colors and cutely drawn animals and items on the front.

Rarity’s ears perked up the moment Twilight mention that Cloud couldn’t read. “My word! You don’t know how to read?” She exclaimed in shock, stopping what she was doing for a moment.

“Uh-uh…” Cloud confirmed.

“And that’s why I brought this ABC book!” Twilight said. Cloud looked back at the librarian to see it open to the first of many, many letters: the atrocious letter A, for apple. “Before you can start reading, you need to know all the letters of the alphabet, how they look, and how they sound! This one is A!”

“Um, okay… A…” Cloud said as began to feel embarrassed at being treated like a little kid, but set it aside as he wanted to learn how to read.

From there, Twilight continued teaching Cloud the alphabet. He struggled learning at times, but he ultimately learned each letter and how they sounded. However…

“Okay, time for a quick quiz!” Twilight said happily. She opened the book to a random letter: the radical letter R, for rabbit. “Which letter is this?” She asked.

Cloud looked intensely at the letter for a solid minute. ‘What letter is it? A? No, that doesn’t seem right. How about 7? Wait, no, that’s a number.’ He thought. He leaned forward a moment, only to be pulled back by Rarity. He wore an irritated facial expression as he scratched at his temple. ‘What is it? Wait a sec! I know it! I KNOW IT!!’

Cloud wore a confident expression as he answered with glee, “That’s the letter L for little!” Spike facepalmed at the Saiyan’s obviously wrong answer while Twilight sighed.

“That’s wrong, Cloud. This is the letter R.” Twilight said, earning a frown from Cloud. “Let’s try again. What’s this letter?” She asked as she opened up to the persistent letter P, for Pegasus.

Cloud readied for round 2 of ‘What’s That Letter?’ and leaned forward to stare intensely at the letter, of course though he was pulled back by Rarity, but the intensity remained all the same. ‘Think, Cloud! Think! THINK!’ He thought intensely as his eye twitched.

As Cloud thought deeply, Rarity took a moment to breathe and looked out the window to see the sky darkening slightly as the sun began to set. “Spike, would you be a dear and turn the lights on?” She asked the purple dragon. He responded immediately and ran to the light switch, turning it on immediately. “Oh, and could you turn the lamp beside me on?” She asked. The dragon responded immediately yet again and ran to turn on the lamp. It lit up instantly right above Cloud.

‘Brain blast! Huh? Why’d I say that? Never mind, that doesn’t matter!’ Cloud thought just as the lamp lit up above him and Rarity. He once again wore a confident expression on his face and answered, “That’s B for bear!” At this, Twilight sighed once again.

“Sorry, but that isn’t right either. This one is the letter P.” She said. “We’ll try one more. If you don’t get it right, that’s fine; we’ll just go over the letters again.” She flipped the book open to a new page, to the ever zany Z, for zebra.

“Okay, that’s… umm… that… one… is…” Cloud began as he thought deeply. “… N?” He answered unconfidently.

Twilight sighed yet again. “Sorry, but that isn’t correct either. This one is Z.” The lavender mare sighed.

Poor Cloud sighed in disappointment. “I’m… I’m…” He started, finding the next few words difficult to say. “… I’m not gonna get this right, am I?” He asked sadly as his head hung low.

Twilight looked at the upset Cloud and raised his chin with her hoof to look him in the eye. “You’re going to get this right eventually, Cloud, I promise!” She said, confident in her young friend’s ability to grow. “It might take some time, but you’ll get this down eventually! You just have to keep on trying!” She added, earning a small smile from Cloud.

“You know, I can’t count how many times I failed before I got something right!” Spike added with a chuckle. “Once I tried to make a simple jewel cake, and it kept coming out so burnt it was practically a pile of ashes! Then, on my tenth try, I got it!”

Rarity decided to join on in and added, “I make clothing for a living, and I’ve had many rather unhappy customers! And what did I do when they weren’t happy? I didn’t give up, I’ll tell you that! No, no, I kept on working on their particular clothing until they were 100% satisfied!”

“You see? You can fail 10 times, 100 times, or even 1,000 times, but so long as you keep on trying and hitting those books, you’ll get it eventually! You just can’t quit on yourself, because that’s when you really fail!” Twilight said.

Cloud was still feeling pretty dumb, but smiled at his friends anyways. “Thanks you guys. Thanks a lot!” He cheerfully and continuing with, “Now, let’s hit those books!” He declared, winding up a fist and rearing to punch the book immediately in front of him. Twilight rolled up nearby magazine and hit Cloud on the nose, not hard, but still good enough to at least make him stop.

“We don’t LITERALLY hit the books! It’s just a funny way of saying things!” She scolded. “Now, let’s go over the ABC’s again. This time, pay close attention to how they look!”

“Alright, I’m ready!” Cloud declared, pumping himself up.

“This is…”

~ About half an hour or so later ~

Quite a bit of time had passed since Cloud’s first little quiz on the alphabet, and it was now nighttime, with the full moon in the sky. By now, Rarity had finished restoring Cloud’s upper gi and was working on his pants. The young Saiyan only had many more quizzes as night rolled around, and all of which he failed. However, he remained confident…

And then…

“Now, for your 13th quiz…” Twilight flipped the book open to another letter, specifically the capitalistic letter C, for cat. “What is this letter?”

Cloud began pondering, placing his fingers on his chin as he squinted at the letter, as though he was trying to intimidate it. “That’s…” He started. “That’s O for orange!!” He said with confidence.

Twilight shook her head. “No, this is the letter C for cat, but I can… C how you’d make that mistake!” Twilight said, earning a blank stare from Spike, while Rarity tried to contain a light giggle. Cloud on the other hand was laughing hysterically. “Now for the next letter!” She said, flipping to the easygoing letter E, for elephant.

Cloud smiled confidently as he answered, “That’s F for fun!”

Twilight once again shook her head in response to the incorrect answer. “No, this is the letter E for elephant, but like with the letters C and O, there is a resemblance.” She said before flipping to the next letter, the… the… uh, letter Q (I got nothing clever for this one), for quilt.

Cloud stared at it intensely, but yet again answered with confidence. “That’s the letter R!”

Twilight yet again shook her head in response. “Sorry, but that’s incorrect as well! This is Q for quilt!”

Cloud sighed in irritation, taking his thumb and middle finger and snapping as he said, “Darn it! I REALLY thought I had it this time!”

“It’s okay, we can try again tomorrow morning! Actually, I’ve been meaning to ask you something!” Twilight started. “I was wondering if you’d like to sleep over at Golden Oaks tonight!”

Cloud smiled, not so much at spending the night, but the earlier and quicker he got to challenge the ABC’s again, the better! “Sure, I’d like to spend the night!” He said eagerly.

Rarity spoke up, but her eyes and focus never left her work as she continued to repair Cloud’s pants. “Sweetie Belle and the Crusaders are spending the night at Fluttershy’s tonight, so if it’s alright with you Twilight, I wouldn’t mind sleeping over as well! It’ll just take me one minute to finish this, and then I want to show you your Gala gown before we leave to show you some minor additions I made…”

“I don’t see any reason why not!” Twilight said excitedly.

Another minute or two passed as Rarity continued to sew up numerous holes and tears in Cloud’s pants. As she did this, Twilight pulled out a notebook to write down the progress she made teaching Cloud the alphabet while Spike told the Saiyan all about the super cool Supermare and her many adventures and battles. Such talk of such a powerful being began to boil Cloud’s Saiyan blood, and funny enough, it actually took a while for the dragon to convince him the superhero didn’t exist, much to his disappointment (and honestly much to Spike’s disappointment as well).

“There! Done!” Rarity announced as she finished up her work, snipping off some string and setting it and the needle aside. Cloud, for the first time in an hour, stood up, and he was very, very happy to do so! “Now if you’ll follow me, Twilight!”

“Sure thing!” The lavender mare said excitedly. “You boys get ready to-”

“WHAT’S THIS?”

“MEOW!!!”

*SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH!!!*

“Ow, ow, ochie, ow!” Cloud said in pain and discomfort as he placed both hands on his scratch wounds from a certain spiteful kitten who aimed primarily at the Saiyan’s face. Twilight tried to stifle her laughter as rarity scolded Opalescence.

“That’s a cat, Cloud!” Twilight said, walking over with a wet napkin to clean his battle wounds. “Y’know, C for cat!”

“Yeah, a very hateful cat…” Spike muttered as he recalled a similar incident, rubbing at the right side of his face as old ‘wounds’ began to ache.

“I don’t think I like the letter C anymore…” Cloud said with a chuckle.

After some laughs and Twilight seeing her slightly modified gown, Rarity packed her things and the group left for Golden Oaks. However, just as they were leaving, a certain thing caught Cloud’s eye. It was a celestial body - one everypony in Equestria was familiar with when nighttime came. That is, everypony but Cloud. He gazed at the object which lit the starry night sky.

He stared, at the full moon.

*BA-BUMP*

*BA-BUMP*

*BA-BUMP*

*BA-BUMP*


The ability to transform into a powerful and vicious Great Ape - the Oozaru - at the sight of the full moon. This was a gift given to the warrior race known as the Saiyans, who used this heinous power to level entire worlds! What will happen to Ponyville, next DRAGON BALL TX?!

Author's Note:

Oh no! What’ll happen to Cloud?!

Well, putting that aside for now, this episode was going to be kind of bland to be honest: they’d go to Rarity’s to fix Cloud’s clothes, some exposition would happen, Pinkie would arrive, giggles would ensue, the end. However, I hated that, so I decided to just have Twilight teach Cloud how to read, of course starting with the ABC’s, and he WAS going to learn them very well by the end. But as I was writing, I saw the opportunity to develop Cloud’s character by having him lose confidence in himself, and then his friends encourage him to keep trying to get it right, so I took it! Now the original ending was going to have Cloud learn the ABC’s entirely, but I felt it was too cliché, so I had him fail to learn them, but still have the will to try again no matter how many times it took. I thought this reinforced the “you can try 100 times and still fail, but it’s okay so long as you keep trying” theme that arose. Personally, I really like how this episode turned out, and I believe (and hope) I did a pretty good job developing Cloud, even if it might’ve been just a little bit.

Now, I gotta go now. Sorry, but I’m REALLY worried about what happens to Cloud, so I’m gonna go to the next episode! Have a good morn-day-evening!