• Published 14th Jul 2017
  • 3,540 Views, 158 Comments

Fighters Don't Have Friends - BackroundVoice



Fighters live for their next battle. They fight until they taste the dirt of defeat. But that was never apart of Twilight Sparkle's schedule. First she was a promising student for Unicorns everywhere, and now... She's a bar fighter.

  • ...
20
 158
 3,540

3 : Motivation

Turns out that Soarin wanted Trixie off the roster just as badly as we did. She only showed up once a year to keep the title. Which not only made him mad but his customers as well. Denied the opportunity to challenge the top dog except for one match a year. It was very smart of her. But Vinyl and Dash had thought of something far more clever. They wanted me to take her down in the rookie round. An event that the title holder could start on a whim. It allowed any amateur fighter to challenge the champion. And since my title was the 'Schoolgirl', they were betting I'd be picked because of my lack of fighting experience.

Vinyl and Dash were snickering and smiling like it was some kind of live stage play with a very predictable, yet humorous ending. And all they were doing was waiting for the punchline.

However, laughing was the last thing I wanted to do. Stressed out about the whole thing, I found myself alone at the far end of the bar counter, reading the menu to distract myself. But I just couldn't shake this feeling of despair as I waited to be thrown back into the ring again. Even though all I had to do was raise my hoof, let her pick me, and punch her lights out. At least that's what Dash told me to do.

We'd been waiting for quite a while and the guest of honor still hadn't shown up. My anxiety worsened by the hour. Vinyl and Dash were still cracking jokes as to how awesome this was going to be, Pinkie was arm wrestling some stallions in the corner, Alexandra was flirting as usual, and Abby was drinking. Alone. Out of everyone, Abigail had seemed solemn for some reason. I remembered my teacher, Princess Celestia, telling me once, that it's when somepony is at their lowest, that they need a friend the most. I personally never bought into that philosophy. And thankfully no one else there did either. But for once in my life, I decided to be social.

My reasoning for talking to Abby was more so that I could learn how Trixie beat her, but our conversation would turn a different way once I learned more.

"AJ?" I said as I approached.

"Yes, sugar-cube?" Abigail was always nice to me. She was one of the few ponies that I actually liked in Ponyville. Always professional, not really one to drink excessively or any alcohol for that matter. Her eyes were glancing over at the booze bottles behind Soarin.

"You seem a little down,"

"I'm more down than an apple seed in winter," she answered me, swigging her last glass of cider before she asked Soarin for a shot of beer.

"Is it because Trixie took your title?" Abby stopped from knocking her drink back, setting it down to rub her eyes.

"I use to be the title holder for a good while before Trixie showed up," Abby admitted. Running her hoof over the rim of the beer glass.

"Really?"

"You don't sound too surprised," Abigail chuckled. I felt bad about the lull in my tone, I apologized quickly for it. "You're fine, just teasing," she said, returning to her story as I listened. "It's always been kinda a tradition of the Apple family's to be the toughest ponies around. On top of that, we run a business that keeps the money rolling in this town." That last bit I already knew for sure. When I heard the Apple family name before, I always instantly thought of my favorite cider drink. But now when I hear the Apple name, I think of Abigail Apple Jack. The toughest pony I ever knew.

"So, if you run that farm, why do you fight? You obviously don't need the reward money," Abby only smiled to that.

"You're right," she said, "But I'm just like the rest of my family as far as fighting goes. We all just love it. My dad died a boxer, my older brother did too. Plenty of my cousins still keep up their strength wherever they are, and I'm here, taking care of old granny and Bloom, my baby sister. Although, she isn't much of a baby anymore." Abby could've gone on and on about her expansive family that covered Equestria. But she always thought she bored me with those stories. I was actually fascinated. "And I'm sorry you have to do this. Fight my fights for me, that is."

"Fight your fights?" I asked.

"With Trixie," Abby said, looking down at her glass with little desire to drink it now. "She took the title from me because she paid off a few low life thugs to ambush me. They were the reason that kept me from showing up. And because I was a no-show, Trixie took the title." Abby too had something taken from her. "I was young and naive back then, I picked fights with anyone I could because I considered myself the best," Abby turned to me with a deliberate look in her eyes. "So learn from me Twilight, don't bite off more than you can chew." In other words, don't fight more than one pony at a time. If only I remembered that today.

"Is that why you joined the team?" I asked, referring to those so-called friends around the bar.

"Eeeyup!" Abby chimed with a smile. "When I met Vinyl and the others, I was beaten down in an ally, she reached out her hoof and made a better pony out of me. Teaching me how to further my skill, and drive me to be the best I could be," and she was right. Every pony I've ever talked to in Ponyville always held Abigail as an honest and trustworthy mare. Some of them even told me that she used to not be like that when she was younger, and I am thankful to have met her when I did.

"But because of my rep, Trixie would never pick a fight with me again. Boasting that she 'doesn't need to beat the same opponent twice. And that's where you come in!" she said, messing up my mane in front of Soarin. It was embarrassing, but I really felt like Abby had opened up to me. Giving me a little motivation to actually fight.

"I'll try my best AJ!" I told her.

"Do or don't Twilight, there isn't any of this trying business," Abby slid me her drink and I took it happily.

Suddenly, we heard the doors crash open, which was accompanied by a proud voice.

"The great and powerful Trixie has arrived!" said a blue mare with silver hair. She wore the attire of a magician but instead of the blue and white patterns that were on her posters, her real outfit was black, quilted with golden stars and galaxy shapes. She trotted in with her bouncers behind her. Tall, burly stallions named Snips and Snails. One was bulky and the other was a little too tall for his own good. They were meant to look intimidating. And with the sunglasses and black suits on, they certainly fit the bill.

"Our champion has arrived," Soarin's voice over the speakers lacked enthusiasm or any emotion. "Y'know Trixie, there are lots of ponies here who'd love a shot at the title. Won't you humor them?" A lot of the ponies looked to the back wall that had become the Knightmare's territory. Nightmare Moon, in particular, made a determined glare at Trixie. And I could've sworn I saw Trixie shudder in place.

"Uh... We shall see," Trixie said, "T- The tour of the great and powerful Trixie isn't quite on schedule, so we might have time for one match, maybe." The more I heard her talk, the more convinced I became about what Vinyl said about her. She made quick work of reaching the center of the room. Three sides of the ring's iron bars fell around her and then a mic dropped, dangling from a wire for her to talk into.

"Behold!" the loud mouth began, addressing herself as some kind of queen to be admired. "The great and powerful Trixie would like to welcome you all to a glorious performance! Tonight we will start off the show with the rookie round!" The crowd cheered at the sound of that. "Now, who would like to be my first opponent?" There were tons of ponies who raised their hooves to challenge her. I almost forgot to but I raised mine with my glass of beer in hoof. Trixie scanned the crowd for someone particularly weak. And that someone, was me.

"You!" she said. I actually frowned at that.

Do I really look that weak? I remember thinking. But with a quick glance at Vinyl and Dash, I got back into character and smiled as I smashed my booze onto the ground, cheering that I was picked.

"You have to pay for that!" Soarin noted over the mic. But I just ignored him for now and went to the center ring.

"Such vigor! Give a round of applause for our volunteer!" Trixie said, and everyone clapped their hooves together while shouting profanity. "Let's shake hooves and have a fair fight!" Trixie proposed, stepping forward from the mic, grabbing ahold of my hoof as she pulled me closer. "Listen, kid," she hushed her voice, "I'll give you three hundred bits if you make this a lengthy win for me," and as soon as she said that, I was shocked at how intimidating her tone had become.

"W- What?" I stuttered to say.

"Just swing me the fight and we'll both walk away with a profit, deal?" My mind was trying to remain calm but my instinct made me look back at Abigail. She was watching at me with a raised eyebrow. Like she could hear the conversation from afar. I knew that if Abby was acting like this, the others were certainly doing the same. I felt like I was in a corner with guns pointed at me from every direction. "Do we have a deal?" Trixie repeated herself. I turned back to her without an answer, and then the bell rang.

"Well, if that's how you want to play," Trixie raised her voice, "trying to twist a magician's wrist was a bad move!" She quickly whipped out a knife from her sleeve, making it look like it came from mine. "I never would've expected a punk like you to have gotten past Mr. Soarin's eye, bringing a knife to a hoof fight is such a dirty tactic. I'm disappointed that she wasn't searched," I looked over at Soarin, he was staying quiet next to his mic. From his view, it probably did look like I actually had hidden a knife. And now he was debating whether Trixie was lying or that I actually was a wimp wanting to win with a weapon.

"But let's not get ahead ourselves, it most likely wasn't his fault. After all, a little pony off the streets like this," Trixie chuckled and grinned as she looked me over, "was most likely provoked into doing this!" I could feel my face burning red as I thought about my dirty clothes. I think it only made Trixie happier that I was now holding back tears. But as I stopped focusing on myself, I saw that most of the crowd had turned to Abigail, contributing accusing looks at her since she publicly held a grudge against Trixie. Getting blamed as the accomplice who gave me the knife. "And look at that guilty face!" Trixie spoke up again, pointing to me. "Only a low life would attempt to put another up to this if she wanted another to take the fall for, permanently, beating the champion."

I started to panic, I knew after she said that I had been framed for attempted murder. And Trixie wasn't stopping. She kept running her mouth, and more and more ponies started to get riled up by the commotion she was causing. I was thinking way too much. Everything was going wrong in my mind. This fight was supposed to be simple.

And that's when inspiration struck.

Wait, the bell rang, that means anything goes, right? I reminded myself as I thought of the fighting rules of the club.

I looked around us, Trixie and I had been locked in here alone, and she was at my mercy.

Trixie kept talking, exciting the crowd with her lies. And that's when I grabbed her by the collar of her coat and pulled her close, punching her in the gut. Trixie dropped the knife she was waving around and the crowd went silent as I let her wobble in pain.

"W- Wait, I'm not ready," she said, clenching her stomach in pain, hoping that I'd listen. But I knew better than that to give her time to recover.

"Sorry, 'life doesn't let you get ready'," I told her as I punched her in the face. First with a left hook and then a right. I didn't know what I was doing, so I just continued to knocking her head back and forth until I decided to knock her to the ground with one last punch between the eyes. Leaving her to fall backward in a spray of blood that blew out her nose.

I realized it then. That motivation wasn't something you just made up or were given. It was something you found. And I found it in me to kick Trixie's ass after being accused of cheating.

Beacuse I never cheat.

I looked around, noticing that everypony had been quiet for a while now. I guess they didn't think I had it in me to fight. And I honestly didn't either. Even Vinyl and the rest were dumbstruck. I felt really proud of myself, but then I remembered, everyone still thought that I was some cheating punk. So I grabbed Trixie's back legs and shook out all of the cards and tricks she had in her pockets and sleeves, including two more knives and a gun.

"She brought the knife, not me," I said to the crowd. And then the cheers came.

It started with Soarin as he leaped over the bar counter, lifting the gate to the ring, raising my hoof up shouting, "We have a new champion, umm... The Phoenix!" The crowd went wild as he announced my new fighting name, my middle name being shouted in praise by the crowd.

"Phoenix! Phoenix! Phoenix!"

It felt really good.

"Get this garbage out of my bar!" Soarin said, taking the large golden belt off of Trixie and tossing her to her guards, who didn't want anything to do with me.

"Wait!" I said, stopping Snips and Snails, spotting the hint of a red color from under Trixie's cloak and hat. I liked it. "I'll take these," I said, pulling the hat off her head and punching it inside out revealing the hard red color on the opposite side of the black and gold. I did the same with Trixie's cloak, flipping it over and hooking it over my hoodie.

Now the crowd was overjoyed with my new leaf. I posed with the champion belt around me. I never thought I would ever be holding that thing. By now Trixie had been thrown out of the bar and Abby came up to congratulate me. She smiled at me with closed eyes. I could tell something was up.

"Sorry you didn't get to beat her up for yourself," I said, as I thought that was the case.

"That's alright, Twilight," she said, "with that get up you've got on, it'll feel almost like the real thing,"

"Huh?" I gulped, my eyes went wide as I realized what I had just become by beating Trixie. I was the number one fighter in knuckle brick corner. And now, Abigail was ready to take back that title. So obviously, I tried to turn and run. But Abby grabbed me before I could. She spun me around, and with the momentum of the spin toward her, combined with her own strength, Abigail knocked me out cold with one clean punch.


"So there you have it," I managed to say. My eyes were starting to droop way too much.

"I see," Fluttershy said, intrigued as always. "So after that-"

"Flutters," I addressed her, I really couldn't bother myself to say her whole stupid name. "I'm a little tired," very, actually. "So until the train starts moving, I'm taking a nap."

Fluttershy blushed and looked away, apologizing for keeping me up with a nervous laugh. At least that's what I assume I heard.

I plopped onto my side, my body sinking into the soft cushions of the bench. The last time I felt this comfortable and ready to sleep was...

"Flutters," I said again, she was getting ready to sleep too, laying her head gently onto her jacket that she'd rolled up into a pillow. "I think I got my job at the Ponyville library after that. I was so mad at everyone after that night that I literally got up and looked for work, we'll pick up there." I could tell Fluttershy wanted to ask one more question, but I passed out.

Taken in by the bliss of sleeping consciously for the first time in days.