• Published 23rd Mar 2017
  • 841 Views, 20 Comments

Shaping Love and War - Sky Blue CMC



Starlight and Sunburst are dating, but they're each in love with somepony else... the two of them agree to talk about it over a card game.

  • ...
5
 20
 841

The Ace of Hearts

"Ace beats Queen, Starly." Sunburst told his marefriend. "I guess you win again." He knew how much she liked cards, false magic, because they didn't remind her of how evil she was when the two of them were apart. He always kept a low card under his cloak so he could let her win. She knew he cheated, but she didn't mind it. Starlight wasn't always honest herself, and cheating for someone isn't the same as cheating to beat them.

"Sunny, that's the seventh time in a row you played a Queen... even with two decks, that still means you're out of Queens. I have the last one. Please stop letting me win, O Great and Powerful Sunburst." Starlight had a point. Their double-decker War games always went the same... even when she lost, it was only because she let him win... which wasn't as often as the reverse. "Sorry, didn't mean to compare you to Trixie... my best friend and my..." she paused before lying to him. "true love. You're not the same pony, however similar you two may be."

"True love? Starly, you and I both know that's a lie." Sunburst responded. "I know you have feelings for somepony else. I can see it in your eyes. Your beautiful blue eyes. I know that twinkle in somepony's eyes when they love somepony... and it's just not there in yours. I've seen the way you look at me... like nothing more than a second best friend."

"How dare you lecture me on lying?!" Starlight exclaimed angrily. "You say you 'know the twinkle' as if it's something not obvious but I know it too. You're not that perfect either, mate. In fact you're way too easy to hate! What, 29 year old, can't get a date? Our whole relationship was built upon secrets and lies. Who is she, and what does she have that I don't?"

"Umm... she's somepony you probably don't know. Discord's daughter, Screwball." Sunburst explained. "She was the one who convinced me that I had more magical potential than I thought."

"I thought I did that, Sunny." Starlight replied in utter disbelief. "I've heard of the Princess of Chaos... she's kinda cute, probably more powerful than I am, and her swirly eyes are more than worth getting lost in. She's lucky to have an important wizard like you love her. But I thought she was trying to decide between Mothball and Thorax? Adding you to the mix wouldn't make her choice any easier, you know?"

"I know. You haven't told me who you're in love with, Starly." Sunburst returned the question. "What's his name and what does he have that I don't? I promise I won't tell anypony."

"You sure?" Starlight asked.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Sunburst Pinkie Promised. "Just tell me... I'll keep your secret."

"I never promised to keep yours... but OK." Starlight replied. "It's Thorax. The Changeling Prince. You remember him, right? You sent him to Ponyville for help when the rest of the Changelings attacked. Twilight was captured, so he joined me and Trixie to help save the main heroes. He and I really bonded on that trip, and Discord made sure we played our part... albeit by playing his own part poorly."

"Thorax, huh?" Sunburst asked. "Can I tell you another secret? Well... it's really more showing than telling." Without even waiting for a response, Sunburst transformed in front of Starlight. When he was done, he had a light-greenish hued skin, orange-ish antlers, and crystalline blue wings. He was the stallion the she secretly loved. He was Prince Thorax. Starlight was completely speechless.

"Well... I guess I'd better return the favour. I'm not really Starlight, either." The Starlight doppelganger transformed right in front of her true true love. When she was done, she was a mystical taffy-pinkish-coated earth pony filly with a purple-and-white mane, violet eyes with whirlpools of taffy pink, and a dual cutie mark of a couple of screws and a baseball. A propeller beanie magically appeared above her head to complete her form. She was the Princess of Chaos. She was Princess Screwball. Thorax was lost for words as well.

"How?" Thorax asked Screwball. "All this time, neither one of us knew it was right there in front of us! I'm sorry I lied to you, Screwy. I knew it was me you loved. I just thought you were Starlight... I should have known you weren't. I was a fool, milady."

"Me too, Prince Charming." Screwball replied. "It should've been obvious. You're the only one whose lies I can't detect... even Mothball can't keep a secret from me. Sunburst might be able to, but there were times when there were two of you, and I know he doesn't have the abilities for duplication spells, despite his vast knowledge. I also know you love letting me win because sharing love is the best source of food for you. I should've connected the dots."

"It's OK, Screwy." Thorax replied. "We both know now, and nothing can keep us apart anymore. We'll be together for eternity."

"Especially since we're both immortal." Screwball remarked. "And we've got nowhere to go but up. Can we get started right now?"

Thorax nodded. The two lovers flew upwards into the sky and embraced each other, their kisses lighting up their formerly dim spirits.

Author's Note:

Written for my Cutie Pumpkin, StarLadybugQuinn. I love you, my Queen of Hearts.

Follow her if you haven't already.

I know Thorax is a King, but Prince fits better with my nickname, Prince Charming.

Comments ( 20 )

so please comment.

Well, since you asked...

-This feels like it's supposed to be in meter, but I can't match it with any. Between Starlight's ultra-casual rhymes and Sunburst's flowery, Shakespearean speech... is it a reference to something I'm unfamiliar with?

-Careful with the tags. I'm assuming this should be Complete, and just Starlight and Sunburst are sufficient for character tags. Those are supposed to tell you audience what the story's about, not give away the twists. Use an Other tag if there are characters who are integral to the story but would be spoilery in the description. Also you don't need a species tag when the only present member of the species has their own tag; it would be like putting Zebra on a fic with only Zecora in it. Also, that's a LOT of genera tags for a story only 1k long.

8046257 I changed the tags and the status.

This felt quickly paced. If I can even call it that. Would you like me to add it to my "Desh Reviews" series for next weeks entries? Anyway, this didn't really deserve a upvote, or a downvote... thumb, just call them thumbs. Ugh, before I end up rambling... was this based off of one of the Roleplays you two did?

Edit: oh, and also. The light kissing, even without detail, would move this up to a Teen rating, as well as with the Sex tag.

8046438 Why the Sex tag if they don't have sex?

8046442
Have you looked at the rules for each tag? Here is a link. HERE

8046448 I changed the rating and added the tag.

8046451
I just noticed that I put the wrong one. But I am glad you found it. I accidentally clicked the rules not tag info...

Well this wasn't what I had expected, the sudden transformations of the two caught me off guard. I feel it was also supposed to be symbolic. Since it was only 1000 words it felt rather fast. Overall I feel it was nice.

Great job! Maybe work a little more on shifts in the emotions of the characters, but I'm liking it. :pinkiesmile:

8046257 The "meter" was unintentional... the rhymes are just pretentional.

8046599
Alright, it will be with next weeks batch. Possibly Monday, unless I get behind like I did this week... then it will be Tuesday.

Said card game is Yu-Gi-Oh!, right?

8046658
Yu-Gi-Oh has monsters, spells, and trap cards, though there is far more than just that. But War seems to be accurate, or go-fish...

8046785 War is in the title... it's a pun of "All's Fair in Love and War" and Shapeshifting. The game is War.

I got no bone to pick with this at all . . . Gigity, Gigity, Gigity. :rainbowlaugh:

But for reals. I really liked this fic. Nice twist there at the end.

8046820 Thanks. It's based on a true story... as the description should say.

Hey there my guy *instert new York guy meme*

You asked me for a review and I did just that over on my blog posts. Give it a look-see

Sorry for the long time, but here is the review.

Login or register to comment