• Published 7th Jul 2012
  • 14,413 Views, 666 Comments

Hippophobia - Kelvin Shadewing



A teenager with a fear of horses ends up in Equestria.

  • ...
48
 666
 14,413

Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"So you're telling me that because I've been with Big Mac so often, the spell didn't have time to build up?" Conrad asked, cocking an eyebrow at the brown stallion walking beside him.

"Exactly," replied Turner, "As you know, it's called a want-it-need-it spell. Naturally, you can't want-it-need-it if you have it, you follow? So the spell had no reason to increase its effect." The former pegasus looked ahead distantly. "But what with the recent events, you being repeatedly taken from his custody, and everypony trying to get at you at the same time, I believe the spell's amplification was agitated to the point where it sped up exponentially until it reached full strength in a short time."

Conrad snorted out his nose. "OK, I gotta ask, why do you know so much about how magic works? You can't use it, except for that time stuff you do."

Time Turner chuckled. "Well, when you've been cursed by the spirit of chaos, it's always a good idea to look into possible side effects."

"Right," the human said with a nod, "So do you understand how your powers work?"

"As a matter of fact, I do," the pony replied, "Are you in the mood for a little magic lesson?"

Conrad shrugged. "I don't care what we talk about right now. I'm just glad to be somewhere quiet for a change."

Turner nodded. "Well, you know how an hour glass works, right? You flip it upside down, and the sand starts to fall back to the start. You turn it sideways, and the sand stops. My power works a lot like that, which is also why I can't go into the future."

"What do you mean?"

"Tell me, have you ever been able to make sand fall faster?"

Conrad shook his head.

"Exactly. You can't. You can force it back to the top, or hold it in place. But once you let go and allow it to fall, it will fall at its own speed."

"So then, every time you freeze time or go back, you're giving up a piece of your future..." Conrad looked at Turner sullenly. "You've been giving up your time just for me. More so every time you use your powers."

Turner smiled at his human companion. "Conrad, don't feel down about it. You're my friend, and a very good friend at that. Spending my time helping you makes it all feel worth while to me."

Conrad smiled back. "Thanks." He reached down and scratched Turner behind the ears, then withdrew his hand. "Gah, uh, sorry about that. I dunno if that's allowed here."

Turner shrugged. "I don't mind. Though I have to say, you don't seem afraid of me at all anymore."

"Well, you're the only pony so far who's tried to protect me without trying to keep me as a pet or... whatever Lyra wanted me for." Conrad shuddered.

The pony laughed. "Yes, well, honestly, I'm sure if you'd met anypony else, they'd be just as willing to help you... uh, that is, besides Lyra. I have a feeling she'd behave much the same way."

Conrad shuddered. He looked into the sky as he pondered about meeting another pony. Would they really be so kind?

"I'm sorry, where were we?" Turner suddenly blurted out.

Conrad looked back at him. "Uh, we were talking about magic and meeting other ponies?" He blinked in realization. "OK, where and when did you just go?"

"A few hours ago," Turner said, "I went to go see Twilight and try to turn things around with her. Try and get her to help us, you know?"

"And?" Conrad asked.


Time Turner knocked on the door of the Books and Branches library several times.

"This is a public building!" Twilight Sparkle shouted from inside, "You ponies can just come right in, you know!"

"But I hear you get frustrated when your studies are interrupted," Turner called back. He grinned when he heard the rapid clopping of hooves growing louder.

The door glowed purple and then flew open, nearly coming off its hinges. Twilight stared at Turner for a moment before glaring at him. "You."

"I need your help," Turner said simply.

"Not until you tell me everything about the human!"

Turner smirked at her. "If I remember correctly, Princess Celestia ordered you to leave him alone."

The unicorn gasped. "How did you know about that?!"

Turner's expression turned serious. "What matters more is the ponies still under your spell. Lyra and Big Macintosh need to be dispelled before they cause any serious damage. Big Mac already tore a hole in the Apple family's barn."

"But... that can't be right." Twilight rubbed her head. "The princess already broke that spell. I saw her!"

"I know," Turner said with a nod, "I've just come back from speaking with the princess. She believe's Lyra's previous fixation on humans may have acted as a sort of mental anchor for the spell. A controlled burst of the counter spell directed at her may be able to break the spell, but that would only stop her obsession from growing. We'd need something else to convince her to leave him alone. I'm sure I could think of something for that, but I need you to help me lift the spell on her and Big Macintosh."

Twilight took a moment to digest the information. "Alright, I'll see what I can do. If Princess Celestia wants it, I'll do all I can. I'll get to work on the research for the strongest variant of the counter spell I can come up with. You just make sure to get Mac and Lyra together so I can hit them with it."

"Alright," Turner said, "I'll let you know when I have something set up."

"Any chance, if all goes well, I could ask Conrad a few questions? I promise I won't hound him like before."

The earth stallion sighed. "Alright, fine, but onpy if he agrees."

Twilight squeed slightly. "You've got yourself a deal!"

Turner nodded. "Thank you, Twilight. I owe you for this."

"My pleasure." Twilight stepped back and shut the door, and her warm smile slowly shifted into a sinister grin. "Special research assignment for the princess, and a chance to meet the alien up close! Ooh-hoo-hoo! This day just got good!"

The unicorn began levitating books off the shelves, leafing through them. An hour later, she cracked open a new book and took a closer look.

"Hmmm," she said as she observed the picture of a black, insect-like equine, "Changeling? What is that? Let's see." She read quietly to herself about the strange creature in the book, while dots in her mind began to connect. An answer formed in her mind, and she gasped when it all clicked.

"The pegasus who looked just like Turner, Turner being in two places at once, him befriending the alien... it all makes sense now." She tilted her head up with a determined look. "Time Turner is a changeling!"

Author's Note:

If you'd like to support my writing, please visit my site!

Well, here it is: the long-awaited update. And it's a short one. But the good news is I finally have the drive to finish this dang thing. The final chapter is coming soon! And trust me, you'll love it!