• Published 22nd Mar 2017
  • 853 Views, 23 Comments

Frame of Mind - CCpone



A chance visit with Luna leads Ari to confront what it means to be human.

  • ...
7
 23
 853

Ch - 3

Ch 3:
Mulligans

No matter how far you may stray from the ordinary path, you’ll always find yourself back on it. The old routines get replaced by new ones, and soon you find yourself doing the same thing you were doing before, but in a new way. Some will no doubt object to this, and some will agree to it with open arms. Yet, in the end, we all must face the facts.

My routine may have been changed, but like everyone else, we find a way to make that our new norm. Life is fleeting and it’s our job to catch it, to sculpt it. Each person’s end is different from the others no matter how closely you follow the person’s path before you. The fact of life is that ordinary is a word that will eventually describe the unconventional, given time of course.

Me, you, the person you see on the train all have a self-worth. Each impact this little spec of dirt suspended in space no matter how much you want to deny it. It’s this self-worth, this knowledge that you’re a contribution to this world -whether you like it or not- that drives us to move forward. For if this world ends next week it does not matter. For you will at least remember that you, yes you, have lived to further the lives of others. Just by simply being there.

So does it really matter that we eventually all end up wandering the ‘ordinary’ path? Obviously, if you blow it out to these proportions the answer is clear as day. But sometimes the obvious facts aren’t so obvious during the times you need to see them the most.

As I said I’m cynical, most people will probably agree with this. Yet, the fact that I know my place in the world, that I know my self-worth causes me to generate this feeling of contempt. Even though things around me might be crumbling down.

***

Thankfully by the end of the first day with Luna, the questions seemed to have slowed down. Don’t get me wrong she’s still more curious than a cat about this new world. The question’s I’m talking about however are the obvious ones that someone knew would ask. With those thankfully out of the way, Luna was now able to act for herself. Not like she wasn’t doing so when she first arrived.

Best part hands down, was when I told her about how the weather works here. Which to my amazement is different than in this ‘Equestria’. It seems that Luna has a fear of lightning even though she won't admit it. Her wide eyes and twitching wings were a dead give away when I stated that the lightning here strikes randomly.

Nevertheless, the both of us actually came up with an agreement of sorts. Seeing as she was going to be my new roomie till she ‘pops’ out of existence. I’m sure when that time comes; I’ll probably spill my coffee all over my lap. Shit never works out for me, and I don’t expect it to change with this mare here.

First and most importantly, Luna has agreed to stay away from the public eye. Funny enough, it was her that came up with the idea, not me. She claims that she’s “lucky” to have been found by me and not someone else. When in all honesty, if it wasn’t me that found her it would have been that other worker at the supermarket. Still, don’t know his name, and I know it’s going to drive me crazy till tomorrow when I finally ask him what it is.

Secondly, I have decided that I would make the couch into a makeshift bed. Luna protested claiming that she rather my bed, but this was my house so she had to follow my rules. With a little bit of ‘persuasion’, she finally agreed. That was when I found out that she was just as stubborn as me. The list goes on and on, but nonetheless, I’m quite thankful that we sorted it all out.

“You know it’s rude to leave a guest unattended,” Luna comments.

The both of us were currently sitting down on the couch, the T.V playing some cartoon Luna found fascinating. Talking about Luna, she was currently sitting upside-down on the couch, her head hanging bellow the cushion. I was actually quite amazed that she was able to do that for that long.

Letting out a sigh I replied, “My old friend Alex is going to be there. It’s a rare occasion when I get to hang out with more than one friend. Plus, you’re a grown woman-”

“Mare” Luna corrected

“Mare. I have no doubt that you can take care of yourself for the night. Even more so, if that agreement we made is worth anything than you’re not a guest anymore.” I conclude.

Luna takes her eyes off the T.V and looks at me, “Then what would that make me?”

“A roomie,” I answer.

“I don’t like the term ‘roomie’, is there anything else you can call it?”

“No,”

Luna rolls her eyes at me, “Fine, but that doesn’t change the fact that I want to see this bar you're going to. My sister knows I could use a good drink to get the edge off. What with all this stress of discovering a new world, I might be growing gray in my mane.”

“Good luck finding a way to the bar without being noticed by anyone,” I commented looking at the clock on the wall. Sometimes I really hate the damn thing, but then again it is the only thing that keeps me on time.

My statement seems to have shredded some light on her situation as Luna goes back to watching the cartoon. Some monkey was beating some other monkey upside the head with a banana. You got to hand it to them, shits pretty funny.

The silence I was enjoying was ruined when Luna once again spoke up, “How about we disguise me as a human, I can walk on two hooves.”

“Even after a couple drinks?” I question raising an eyebrow.

“We’ll deal with that problem when we get there,” Luna claims waving her hoof in the air.

I’m starting to think the blood is getting to her head. She’s been upside-down for two hours now, nothing good can come from this. Actually, now that I think about it, her passing out could be considered a good thing.

“Okay, say we dress you up and you’re able to walk around normally. What are you going to do when people notice your face? Because people ‘will’ look at it, and believe me no human out there has that much hair on their face.” I lecture.

Luna once again bats her hoof in the air, “It’s called a coat, and we can just make some silly lie.”

“And what’s this lie going to be?” Luna’s expression tells it all, she has nothing.

While I’m against holding someone back, this was for her own good. If she went out tonight there would be no doubt that she would be caught. The fact that she really wanted to go only made me feel worse. I was like the stereotypical mother shunning their child, telling them what they can and can’t do.

But for her sake, I had to force my hand on the matter. This, however, didn’t mean that I was just going to forget her completely whilst I was out. In fact, if anything, it was going to be the complete opposite. A sentient pony alone in my apartment isn’t the most calming thoughts one could have while drinking with his buds.

Knowing that she wasn’t going to win this one, Luna finally gave up. At least she can see the reasoning behind my statement.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to bring you back something,” I state following through on the stereotypical parent act.

The funny thing about it is Luna took the bait, hook, line, and sinker. “Then bring me back something with a kick to it.”

“I can get you some really good stuff, but I don’t know if you can handle it,” I state thinking about one alcohol in particular. It’s so strong it’ll downright fuck you up, sometimes inducing hallucinations. Since she was a pony for some random reason my mind clicked saying she would be able to hold more than your average joe.

Luna scoffed, “I’m sure I can handle anything you can throw at me. I was quite fond of wine back in Equestria.”

“Alright, just don’t come complaining to me if you start throwing up chunks,” I state getting up from the couch. “While I’m here, what do you want to do?” I continue looking towards the clock. The time was 3’oclock, the meet up with Alex and Matt didn’t start till 8 so we had some time to kill.

Finally flipping over on the couch, Luna once again wanders back over to the window. Pushing the curtains back a bit she once again peeks out. Letting out a long sigh Luna replies, “I don’t know. Funny you would think a pony would have many ideas on what to do in a new world, yet I can’t think of one.”

Walking towards the window I pull the curtains all the way back, flooding my apartment with bright sunlight. It’s been a while since I looked out this window, and I can’t see why I don’t do it more often. I mean I have a pretty good view of the city and the forest that surrounds it. It was then that an idea popped into my head.

“Hey follow me,” I state walking towards the entrance of my apartment.

With a curious look, Luna follows in tow; “Where are we going? You know I would like to remain hidden during my stay here.”

“Just follow me,” I once again claim.

Slipping on some shoes I exit the apartment with Luna. Immediately I walk down the hallway towards the elevator. Thankfully, nobody was here and that left me and Luna to wander around freely.

Arriving next to the elevators I enter the door beside them. The depiction of stairs clearly marked on the glass window. Glancing back, I can see the curiosity clearly etched across her face. Nevertheless, before she can formulate a question I continue up the stairs. Which in no time brings us to another door. This one was full metal with a glowing exit sign above it.

Not waiting around for her to say anything I opened the door revealing the roof of the apartment building. It was the highest building in the city, well if you can even call this place a city. To me, it was more like a large town. Nevertheless, the view seemed to have done the trick as Luna steps towards the edge and lets a smile grace her lips.

“This reminds me of my room back in Canterlot,” Luna claims as she unfurls her wings and lets the wind run through them.

I scratched the back of my head at that statement, “You lived in an apartment too? Or you some kind of rich pony that has a mansion with an excellent view?” I question thinking back to the conversations we had last night. She always seems to stay away from questions like these but I ask nevertheless.

From what she told me, their race was nowhere near as technologically advanced as ours. The biggest brake-through they had was some heart monitors and that was all powered by magic rather than electricity.

At my question, Luna’s wings twitched before snapping closed. It was quite disappointing, seeing as her wings were beautiful to look at. Never in all my life have I seen wings as big as hers, and I don’t think I’ll ever see anything like them again when she leaves.

“Neither, my house just so happened to be in a good spot when my family bought it,” Luna commented.

I, however, wasn’t all that convinced. Ponies, after all, were terrible liars, but I for one would see no reason to lie about where you lived. In realizing that I just swept it under the metaphorical rug and played along.

“If your view could match this one, then I would assume so,” I state walking up next to her. Looking down I could see the many people walking around the streets doing their afternoon errands.

“So, can you actually fly with those?” I question looking at her wings.

Unfurling her wings again Luna shook her head sadly, “Flying in Equestria requires a small amount of magic to be achieved. I’m afraid here in a world with no magic I will not have the strength required to lift myself off the ground.”

I let out a small laugh, “You truly are useless,” I state patting her on the back, “But that makes two of us.”

Luna chuckles at my statement before using her right wing to pull me in with it, “Just a couple of zeros.”

“Yeah, well you didn’t have to accept it,” I claim shuffling around in her wing. It wasn’t uncomfortable in fact it was the opposite. Her feathers felt like the finest polyester money could buy when it brushed up against my face.

Luna looked towards me with a completely straight face. Looking back into her eyes, I couldn’t help but curve the corners of my lips upwards. She seemed to do the same and before long the gates of laughter broke out. Our hollers left unheard by anyone but the two of us on top the roof of the apartment.

I laughed so hard that it started to hurt my lungs. Gasping for air I crouched down, chuckles still coming out every so often. I haven’t laughed that hard in what feels like forever and it felt good. Like I was letting go the stresses of the life for another day.

Beside me, Luna wasn’t recovering as fast as I was. Her laughter was at full blast, which was really entertaining to watch. But the crème de la résistance was the snort that she let out. As soon as it left her mouth her laughing stopped immediately.

Still chuckling a bit, I spoke out between my breaths, “Did, you just-”

Was all I was able to say before Luna budded in, “Nay, you heard wrong.”

“Whatever you say, princess,” I tease walking back towards the apartment door, Luna following me in tow. The only noise that could be heard filling the air are my small chuckles.

***

“Ari! You magnificent piece of shit! Always on time I see,” Matt yells as he swings the door wide open. He didn’t even wait to see me before he said that statement.

I give him a little smirk, “What would happen if it was someone else at the door other than me?”

“Like who? No one other than you comes over,” Matt states as he leads me into his humble abode.

Rolling my eyes, I answer him, “Oh I don’t know, maybe your mother.”

“You and I both know my mother is just as vulgar as me,” Matt reminds me.

He does have a point there. Last time I met his mother she told me to fuck off because I cooked a better Szarlotka. It may sound fancy but trust me, it's just a glorified apple pie. Got to love the Polish though, they say it like it is, no substitute.

Entering his living room, I come to see Alex sitting on the couch playing some game. He was always an avid player of video games, then again who isn’t. Some Wicher 3 or other was on the T.V; his character hacking through some poor animal. At least the graphics were good, I mean you could even see the innards of the thing as the sword swung through it.

Walking up behind Alex I shout “Behind you!” causing him to roll forwards -in the game of course- into the enemy he was fighting. Being already at low health the enemy made quick work by headbutting him.

“What the hell man!” Alex turns around to see me smiling back at him. My thought to be immunity was thrown out the window as Alex jumps over the couch at me.

Turning around I hightail it into the kitchen, Alex hot on my heels. “You think just because I haven’t seen you in five months I won't rough you up,” Alex yells in his British accent as he jumps again hitting me smack dab in the back. I trip over due to the weight and before I know it I have my left arm against my back.

Alex pulls up on my arm inflicting a bit of pain in my left shoulder. “Alex why!” I plead half laughing at the stupidity of it all.

“Cuz you killed my character that’s why!” Alex states pulling harder on my arm.

“uncle! Uncle!” I yell as he keeps the arm in the same position.

Alex is having none of it though, “Don’t think I’ll let you off that easy. Tell me that I’m the greatest.”

“You’re the wooooorrrrs-” I scream as Alex pulls harder.

“What was that mate?”

“You’re the greatest! I said You’re the greatest!” The pain too much for me to continue on like this.

Alex finally let’s go with a triumphant smile on his face, “There we go, good thing we got that all sorted out.” I couldn’t put my hand on it but something seemed off about Alex. Brushing it aside I rolled myself over.

“You’ve gained weight, usually I can toss you off me,” I say getting back up onto my feet. When I do, Alex gives me the death glare. He can look all he wants, he knows he had the jump on me last time.

“Fat or not, we going to Mulligans or not?” Matt comments as he enters the room. “Or are you two just going to stay here and wack each other off.”

“Bet you would like that Ari,” Alex comments causing me to punch him in the arm.

“Shut up and let’s get going already,” I agree with Matt as the three of us exit the house and head towards Alex’s car. It’s nice when you have a friend that owns his own car. That way you can just mooch off him and not worry about car insurance and shit like that.

With the car, the drive to Mulligans only took five minutes. The place was just down the street, in all honesty, we didn’t even need to bring the car. Nevertheless, we did, and now the three of us are seated along the bar on the usual barstools.

“Ay, the three stooges!” Mulligan chimes as we settle on down. We all say our respective welcomes as well as order our poison.

Matt always liked a classic rum and coke so he ordered that. Alex seemed adventurous so he got a drink call the black Russian. Mulligan said it had something to do with the American ambassador in the 1940’s. Either way, it was a stark difference to his usual Guinness. I myself just went with a simple Heineken.

Before we even had the chance to finish saying our orders Mulligan already had all of them in front of us. Hence why we love this place so much. If the beer is quick to get to you, the faster you can get wasted. Sadly, I was not the one getting wasted tonight, I do after all still have that problem back at my apartment.

“Now that I have some alcohol in me, I can say the real reason I came here to Oaklyn,” Alex claims taking a rather large swig of his drink. Which is pretty surprising seeing as its 2 parts vodka.

Matt looks over to him, “So you lied to me about your sister being in town?”

“You really should have seen that one coming,” I state chuckling. Alex was always the one for deception and manipulation in the group. If you’re not too cautious, he could spring something on you in an instant.

“You see, Ari gets it. That’s why I’m staying at his place for a month while I get my life back together.” Alex states happily as he pats me on the back.

And that’s when the Heineken left my mouth and onto the counter. ‘Fuck, he did it to me the bastard!’ I thought wiping my face with a town as mulligan wipes the bar of beer. I give him a quick apologetic smile which he replies with, “You better give me a big tip.” Once he’s done his work he moves to the other end of the bar to serve a couple.

“What the hell do you mean get your life back together? You had an amazing job! What the hell happened?” I half yell.

Alex takes a deep breath, “I got a message from the company three months ago, telling me that they were going to let me go due to budget cuts. Fucking pricks.” Alex claims downing the rest of his drink and ordering another one. “I called everyone I knew to see if they could help me, but when nothing showed up I made my way back here. I knew you two would help me out, so that’s why I came back.”

“Oh, shit man that sucks,” Matt states as he pays for Alex’s drink. “I was wondering why you brought so much stuff over.”

My mind still a jumble from the sudden info drop I ask, “But why my apartment? I don’t even have another bed. Clearly, Matt can take you in.”

“Hey, he asked of you not me,” Matt states attempting to distance himself as far away from the responsibility as he can.

“Well, to be honest, I had all my things shipped over to your apartment because it was the only address I knew here,” Alex said sheepishly.

Of course, that would be the reason, Alex wasn’t here when Matt got his own house. That, however, was going to complicate things. I had Luna back at the apartment, and if Alex lives there then that would make the whole place really cramped. Not to mention freak Alex out that theirs a sentient horse living in my apartment. I had to come up with a quick solution and fast.

“But I already have someone staying at my apartment,” I all but blurted out.

It was now my turn in the spotlight, Mulligan, Alex and Matt were all looking at me. “What?” I question taking a little sip from my beer.

“Who’s staying with you?” Alex asked only for Matt to grow a knowing smile.

“You got a chick, Ari? Why don’t I know about her huh?” Matt states causing Alex to look at me with a sly smile.

“You finally got a piece huh?” Alex claims with an approving nod.

As much as I hate it, this was the only way to cover up Luna. “Yeah, we meet one day when I was finishing up work,” I say not really lying with the last part.

“What’s her name?” Matt asks

“When can we meet her?” Alex questions.

“Is she a looker?” Out of all people, Mulligan asks.

“Luna, never, and what the fuck Mulligan get the fuck out of here,” I answer in quick succession.

Matt seems satisfied with my answer but Alex and Mulligan don’t look that pleased. Nevertheless, since he was on the clock, Mulligan followed the order and walked back over to the couple at the other end of the bar.

“Come on man, don’t hog her all to yourself. I want to meet the lady that captured my friend's heart,” Alex commented.

“Nope not going to happen, you're going to scare her away from me,” I reply playing along. Hopefully, this won't come back to bite me in the ass.

It seems that what I was trying to get across finally hit Matt. “So what’s going to happen with Alex if all his stuff is being mailed to you, Ari. It’s going to suck to move everything over to my place.”

At this point the three of us quietly drink our beverages as we think about what to do about Alex. It wasn’t long till I finally come up with the solution. One that I personally don’t like, but one that has to be done to help an old friend out.

“How about you come with me to my apartment stay the night and tomorrow we will set you up with a room in the same building. I’ll pay first and last. Obviously, you’ll have to pay me back the money some other time, but at least it gets you on your feet again. I could even put in a word for you at the local supermarket.” I state my mind.

Alex looks at me with an immense smile on his face, “Really! You would do that for me?”

“Well I rather keep my money,” I let it hang for some dramatic effect, “but if Matt can lend a hand with the money I’m sure I can set everything up.”

“You just had to add me into this mess didn’t you,” Matt stated.

“Don’t be a dick and just accept the terms you twat,” Mulligan stated slapping the back of Matts' head.

Grimacing at the slap Matt finally gives in, “Fine, how much are we talking about?”

“I pay for first you pay for last,” I simply state.

“Seems fair, but Alex has to promise to pay us back in full,” Matt says looking at Alex, a scowl on his face.

Alex lets out a fake laugh, “Yeah, yeah I’ll pay you guys back and then some. This is really going to help me out if we set this all up.”

The rest of the night went by in a blur. Alex told us all about what he was doing in the big city. Matt and Mulligan got in a fight about what was the best beer in the bar, and I beat all three of them at darts. Overall a very fun and productive night, but now came the part that I dreaded.

Alex, having drunk too much left it to me to drive Matt back to his house seeing as I only had one beer. Once Matt was home and Alex got his lone suitcase the two of us were off to my apartment building. The thought that I was missing something echoed deep within the recesses of my mind.

When we arrived at the apartment, I parked the car in my respected parking spot. It felt good that it finally had a purpose other than collecting dust.

“Thanks again for doing this Ari,” Alex stated as we made our way to the elevator within the underground garage that we were in.

I just nod my head in response as we walk into the elevator. Alex must have been completely devastated to ask for me and Matt for help. Usually, he’s a very proud person, and just now at the bar, he seemed defeated. If anything, I was doing this so I could bring the old Alex back to life.

Before long the two of us reach floor eleven and started walking down the hall. My mind a complete mess thinking on how I’m going to warn Luna to hide. In all honesty, I didn’t even know if I should tell her to hide. Maybe I could just show Alex and hope he doesn’t freak out and call the cops.

Nevertheless, that was not the risk I as going to take. When the two of us reached the door to my apartment I turned to Alex.

“I just got to warn you, Alex, my place is not as nice as Matts.” I say in a louder than usual tone. “you allergic to any animals? I heard that the person before me had a cat and the fur might have gotten into the carpet.”

“No, not that I’m aware of,” Alex claimed.

Just faintly, I could hear the shuffling of hooves on the other end of the door. “Ok good, I have some medicine in my room just in case.” I lied trying to get my message across. When I sensed to hear any noise on the other side of the door I opened it slowly.

All the lights were off, the window was covered with the heavy drapes. The whole place looked completely different than before. Flicking on the lights I motion my hand towards the couch that was now moved in front of the window.

“You can crash here, I’m going to switch into some more comfortable clothes,” I state walking over to the bedroom door.

“Where’s your G.F man? Didn’t you say she lived with you?” Alex asks out as he plops himself on the couch.

Turning the nob and cracking the door open I reply, “she’s out for the weekend, she’ll be back Monday.” I state slipping into the darkness which is my room. Closing the door behind me I can see Luna sitting on my bed with an unpleasant look on her face.

“What is the meaning of this?” Luna mouths in the dark.

“I’ll tell you later,” I mouth back as I get my clothes and quickly change and exit the bedroom.

Thankfully due to his alcohol consumptions, Alex was already out like a lamp on the couch. His shallow snores could be heard from where I stood. Smiling lightly that my plan worked I flick the lights off in the main room and walk back into the bedroom.

“Okay, he’s asleep,” I stated with a sigh of relief.

Luna looks at me with a serious expression on her face, “I thought you were going to hang out with him not bring him here!” Luna exclaims in a whisper.

“That was the plan, but he sprung this on both me and Matt, we had no idea that he was laid off from his job. We both came up with the idea that we are going to pay for his own apartment here in this building till he gets back on his feet.” I relay to Luna.

“Who’s Matt?” Luna questions.

Right, I never told her about Matt, only claimed that I was going out with some friends to the bar.

“Matt is one of the friends that I went to the bar with. He is helping me pay for Alex’s apartment assuming there is one available this short notice. He’s only here for tonight, after that he’s going to be living in his own apartment,” I say moving towards the bed.

“If he’s going to be staying the night then where do I sleep?” Luna questions.

“Here, obviously,” I reply getting myself into the opposite side of the bed that Luna sat on.

Luna looks at me like I just slapped her mother and called her a whore, “I beg to differ-!“ Is all Luna can yell before a clamp a hand over her muzzle. I quickly looked over to the door to the bedroom trying to hear if Alex heard what Luna said. When nothing could be heard, I let my grip go and lay back down onto the bed.

“Remember, keep quiet we can’t let Alex know you’re here or you get discovered. Alex isn’t really the one to keep to himself.” I comment.

Glancing over to Luna I can see a light blush cover her face as she gets into the bed next to me. Apparently, I had embarrassed her by covering her muzzle. Without any other interactions, I and Luna fall asleep, our backs facing each other.