• Published 22nd Mar 2017
  • 853 Views, 23 Comments

Frame of Mind - CCpone



A chance visit with Luna leads Ari to confront what it means to be human.

  • ...
7
 23
 853

Ch - 2

Ch-2
Secrecy and Sparks

My ordinary life, the one I thought I would be living in forever, took a very unconventional turn. The path I was following in the misty planes of life, vanished before my very eyes. I was now forced to walk my own path, which was both frightening and exhilarating at the same time. I was doing something no one else to my knowledge had ever experienced.

Yet, as things slowly started to change around me. My outlook on the world remained the same. The reality of my situation while was a nice change of pace, had its clear consequences. Ones that I would have to deal with in time.

Which brought me to ponder how long would this situation last? How long would it take for everything to be whisked away? For my own sake, I hope it would be soon because the longer you have something; the harder it is to lose it. Every good thing has an end, but the part that hurts is not the event that causes the end, but the memories of the time before the event.

I’m not wise nor am I smart, the words I say are obvious. Yet, some people mistake the obvious for words of wisdom. Either way, my life whether I like it or not has changed. For better or worse I do not know, but I have to move on. Time keeps ticking, and it’s certainly not going to wait for me…

***

Now if there’s one thing that you should know about me, is that I’m a very light sleeper. I was the only child in my family, and my mother and father were never the ones to make a lot of noise. So it comes to no surprise that I would develop a sleeping habit like that. Most people hate being a light sleeper, but I find myself loving it more often than not.

In fact, without the ability to wake up at any given noise, I would have completely snoozed over a certain midnight blue ponies attempt to tip-toe around me. A lot of work that coat restraining jacket did. Nevertheless, I was in no mood to freak out. Mornings were the worst, and if you happen to catch me before I get my morning caffeine, then I’m sorry.

“Where do you think, you’re going?” I questioned my eyelids still closed.

“You’re awake?!” The mare yelped.

This was when I realized the depth of the situation I had gotten myself into last night. While I remember taking in the mare for her own wellbeing, I completely forgot about her being able to talk. This, of course, caused me to shoot open my eyes and fumble off the couch. One of which didn’t feel good, especially this early in the morning.

Getting up as fast as I could; I looked down at the pony situated next to the front door. Well, at least that’s what I think because my eyes were still fuzzy from just being woken up. The world according to me at this given time was all blurs. Thankfully, thanks to many long nights with friends I had the sufficient skills to deduce what was going on. After all, this wouldn’t be the first time someone had tried to sneak past me while I slept.

However, this was unlike any other time. I had completely forgotten that the mare could even talk. Which, as soon as I realized that caused the both of us to enter an awkward silence. Me battling my brain to come up with a response and the mares no doubt trying to find a way to leave with no witnesses left behind. A reassuring thought to have early in the morning.

To my utter surprise it the equine was the first to speak up. “Thou will tell us where we are,” she commanded in an old English style. If she kept this up; I was going to have to give her to the pound. There is no way I’m waking up every day to old English being half yelled to me. I already got a boss, no need to add more to it.

Her question, however, would be kind of hard to answer. I doubt she is anywhere she would realize so I opted to show her rather than tell her. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. Deciding that this is the right course of action I spoke up, “Why don’t you find out for yourself?” I gestured to the wall at the other end of the room. A single heavy curtain blocking the rays of sun from coming through.

The mare looked at me with a quizzical expression, and I mean who wouldn’t. I pretty sure this is the first time she’s ever seeing a being like me. That is assuming she didn’t come here on purpose. Once again with the assumptions, I really need to stop with that. One day it’s going to be the end of me.

Nevertheless, even with her skeptical looks and unsure mind, she wandered back to the room. Which in all honesty surprised me. She was right next to the door, she could have easily just opened it and ran away. Either she’s confirming something she knows herself, or she’s putting a lot of trust into me to not do anything funny. The other alternative is that she knows she’s tougher than me and is simply following through to gather information.

Yeah, that’s mornings for you, always overthinking things and getting worked up over something that could be nothing, but I digress.

As the equine walked to the other side of the apartment, I walked towards the kitchen. My eyes never leaving her form. Do you see the problem with this? No? yes? Well, as soon as she reached the wall I managed to smack my toe right into the corner of the counter. Oh, how I wanted to curse to the heavens.

Thankfully, she didn’t seem to notice. With a quick flick of her hoof the curtain withdrawals just enough for her to poke her head out. The moment her head peeked out, she gasped. Her ears flopped down, tail stood still, and lastly, her wings drooped a bit.

“Where art we?” the nameless mare questioned once again. This time more anger in her voice. It was as if she was putting the blame on me. When in fact, it was quite the opposite.

My mind was yelling for me to be asking questions of my own back at her. However, I quickly concluded that she needed them more at the moment. I was still in my world, and she was not. It is only right that she gets the first go at asking the questions.

“Northwest Territories, Canada, Earth,” I listed off in order.

If she didn’t know those words -which is quite likely- then it would be safe to assume she was lost. Of course, her question didn’t end there. Just like me she probably had hundreds if not thousands of questions just itching to be scratched. Since I was the one that took her in, the responsibility laid on me to see to it.

“What direction is Equestria from here?” she asked taking her gaze away from the window.

I was starting to regret taking her in as she started walking my way. Her face was stoic like a rock, the kind you see only on someone that is going to get an answer one way or another. Lucky for me, I have never heard of the place Equestria in my life. Which only meant that I was about to be killed in my own house.

“I’ve never heard of the place. Y-you just popped into existence at the supermarket where I work,” I answered truthfully.

“Pray tell, what is this supermarket you talk about? And what do you mean popped into existence?” She questioned just on the other side of the counter.

We were staring each other in the eyes. It was then that I realized something, if this equine does not realize what happened to her earlier then does that mean she did not cause the arcs of lightning? Was that just the mode of transportation that she seemingly unwillingly used to get here? If so then why was I still cowering, maybe she’s not as strong as she lets on to be?

Nonetheless, I still answered her. However, I put up my own front while doing so. “Look I was just taking out the trash when I saw this bright white orb floating there. Three minutes later of lightning arcing everywhere and poof you’re here.”

There was no point in telling her what a supermarket was right now. It was unimportant to the matter we were currently discussing.

Muttering some words under her breath, she seemed to visibly soften. Her head now hung low as she walked back over to the window to take another peek. “Not from here huh?” I questioned seeing her depressed state. Leave it to a female equine to change their emotions on the fly like that. Then again, I’m not the one being dropped into a new world.

“Nay, it seems like mine sisters forget her power sometimes. So, we take it that we owe thee one?” She questioned

“Heh, yeah that’s one way to put it,” I state pulling out a cereal box from the cupboard. I know it's actually where it’s supposed to be.

I felt more at ease with her current frame of mind, so I once again pushed my questions aside as with my fears. The day had just begun and I was starting to feel like I spent two hours running with how fast my heart was pumping back there.

The pony looked back at me with a small smile, the first one I had ever seen her adorn. “Then tell us what we can do to pay thee back,” the blue mystery mare commented.

“How about you take a seat and tell me your name,” I asked bringing out two bowls and filling them up with some captain crunch. Say what you must, that shit really gets you going in the mornings no matter how much it fucks up the top of your mouth.

Letting out a little chuckle the mare moved towards the counter. “A noble request, I shall partake in the consumption of the morning meal. Our name is Luna and what may thou be named?”

“Ari, short for Arik,” I relayed the information as I passed out her bowl and spoon.

The now named Luna looked down upon the spoon with focus. A bit too much focus if you ask me, it was like she was trying to move the spoon with her mind. It doesn’t work in case your wondering, I tried it myself on multiple occasions.

“You okay there?” I asked Luna as she continued to concentrate on the spoon. Her eyelids were shut closed now and she was furrowing her brow.

Hearing my words, she gave up with a frustrated huff, “We can’t seem to use our magic. Thou hath not put an inhibitor on, or around me?” Luna asked giving me an accusing stare.

“Magic? Inhibitor? Ha! Now you’re speaking fants-” I stopped myself halfway through that sentence.

“What? Is something wrong?” Luna prods me.

“I was just going to say you were talking fantasy when I realized that I’m having breakfast with a horse.”

“I beg your pardon?” Luna quipped.

“Sorry, unicorn,” I replied taking another mouthful of crunchy goodness. The term horse seemingly an insult. Good to know.

“I’m a Pony, an Alicorn if you will. I presume, by your words; your kind has never seen a pony.” Luna states attempting to pick up the spoon with her hooves. It times like these where I really revel in the fact that I have opposable thumbs. I mean I’m not going to let her fumble around with the spoon forever, but who says it needs to be right away.

When she dropped it again, this time hitting the side of the bowl I got up from my seat. “Where are thy wandering to?” She questioned.

“Do you always speak in old English?” I questioned, while my brain was pulling out my hair for not asking how she knew English to begin with.

Once again Luna looked confused as I reached into another cupboard above the fridge. “Thou mean Equinish?” Luna corrected to her ‘punny’ way of saying English.

“No I mean English, at least that’s what we call our language here. Seems it’s more than an international language now.” I mulled through my thoughts out loud as I walked over next to Luna.

She seemed like she was going to continue the conversation about our languages, but halted when I arrived next to her. “What are thy attempting to do here?” she asked as I brought out a roll of gorilla tape. It was a bit overkill for what I was going to use it for, but it was the only tape I had in the apartment.

“Helping you eat your meal, now extend your hoof,” I commented, reaching out my own empty hand as I did so.

With a bit of hesitation, she placed her hoof into the palm of my hand. Her fur felt like silk compared to my callous covered hands. Either way, I pushed passed the feeling relatively fast as I picked up the spoon I had given her. Before long I had applied a little bit of tape to keep the spoon in place while she ate.

“There, now you should have no trouble,” I commented admiring my work.

Luna looked at the spoon strapped to her hoof for a couple of seconds before giving it a go. As expected, it worked like a charm. The tape successfully held the spoon and its contents in place for Luna to munch on.

“Thou hath our gratitude,” Luna stated as she dug in.

“Once again, do you have to use old English? Is that the only language you know?” I question finishing the last of my bowl before placing it in the sink. Come next week, the house will be back to its original state again, just watch.

“We can, however, we do not want to,” Luna chimed as she herself finished the rest of her bowl. The tape amazingly came off without any of her furs. To be completely clear here, I didn’t realize that until she ripped it off with her teeth.

Rolling my eyes at her stubbornness and choice of words I put her bowl and spoon away as well. “So what now? What’s your plan?” I asked sitting back down across the counter from her.

Luna’s head once again dropped and her ears flopped down. “We wish for another favor of thou,” She asked looking at a spot on the counter.

“Let’s hear it,” I replied, bringing my head down to the palm of my hand.

“Will thou let us stay here until we find a way back home?” She asked breaking her gaze with the counter to meet my eyes.

Seeing she’s completely and genuinely lost, I would be a dick not to accept. Yet again, this could all be one giant act. How do I know she’s not going to stab me in the night and perform an autopsy on my body so she knows the weaknesses of mankind? I’ve been watching too many alien movies, haven’t I?

“Sure, but on one condition,” I state mulling over if this was worth it or not in my head.

My life would no longer be the ordinary life I come to love. I would have to spend extra money to feed this mouth and break the law harboring an alien. A lot of risks came with this deal, but then again, a lot of positives could also come to fruition. If I was going to make an offer for her to stay it was going to be a big one.

“And that is?” Luna questioned.

I smirked at this, Luna looked at me her hope filled eyes turning to horror as they met my mischievous ones. “No more of this old English stuff.”

I must have sounded like a parent telling their kid not to swear in the house. This, however, needed to be done. There was no way in hell I was going to listen to someone speak like a person back in the 15th century. It may be cool to hear once in a while, but not all the god damn time. Especially since everyone else around here speaks modern English.

“Thy ask too much of us!” Luna states.

“What was that?” I questioned back.

“Y…You ask too much… from… me.” She finally stated.

It was jittery as fuck, but at least it didn’t make me want to cringe. Mind you, old English is pretty cool, but everything has its ‘time’ and ‘place’. Either way, I let a small smile escape my lips in this little victory I had achieved.

The thought finally occurred to me. I wasn’t afraid of this pony anymore. Even though she was from another world, and looked completely different than everyone else. I found myself forgetting it when I talked to her. She was like any other ordinary girl I had come across, it just so happened that Luna was from another planet.

The silence must have been awkward for her since she once again spoke out, “Since we- I, have done as you requested, does thou- this means I am able to stay here?”

At least she was getting better at it the more time went on, and that’s really all you ask. Nothing is better than trying and giving it your best. At least that’s what the elementary school teachers have taught me, however some things they teach really make me question our education system.

“I see no problem with you staying here with that little problem out of the way,” I commented as I drummed my fingers along the counter top.

“Little?” Luna questioned with a scowl on her face, “I hardly think so.”

“Say it however way you like princess, you aren’t going to change my opinion on the matter,” I said with a little chuckle. Today was already off to an interesting start, I could only imagine what the rest of the day would bring.

Getting up from my stool, I looked over to Luna. She was staring back at me with prying eyes. It was like she was trying to siphon information from my mind. Rolling my eyes, I walked up next to her and flicked her on the horn.

“Magic doesn’t exist here you dunce; either way it's rude to read someone’s mind.” I quipped walking passed her and into my room. Passing the door frame, I could hear her exaggerated groan.

Dismissing her actions, I got to work fixing up the bedroom. Since she was sleeping during my ‘cleaning spree’ I avoided the bedroom. However, at this point it was kind of moot to finish, seeing as she saw it when she woke up. Nevertheless, by the time I came to this realization I was already halfway done.

By the time, Luna pulled herself together and followed me into the room, I was finished. Before anyone asks, no I’m not a fast cleaner. It just so happens that it took Luna thirty minutes to get her sorry flank up and moving.

The moment she walked in she broke the silence, “What’s your species called?”

“I’m a human or homo sapien as the nerds call it,” I answered straitening out the blanket on top of the bed.

Having done what, I set out to do, I pulled my attention towards Luna. Her forehoof was tapping her muzzle as she let out a soft ‘hmm’. “Human, such a funny name. I quite like the formality of homo sapien though, it has a nice ring to it.”

“You start calling me homo sapien instead of my real name and I’m going to drag your flank back where I found it,” I teased.

Luna held a mock-shocked look, “I would never! Clearly, thou hath the wrong idea of my personality!” Her mock-shocked look turned into a sly one.

I gave her the best ‘really’ look I could muster before saying, “I think thou has forgotten thy agreement.”

“You can’t expect me to switch over just like that. I have been using this way of speaking for quite some time now. It’s like asking a foreign pony to stop having an accent. These things just take time,” Luna lectured.

Rolling my eyes for the umpteenth time today, me and Luna exit the bedroom. As we both entered the main area of the apartment I spoke out.

“So like before, how do you plan on fixing this situation?” I asked taking a seat on the couch.

Following in my footsteps Luna plopped right next to me, “In all honesty, I never thought I would get this far.”

I bet the I.S.S could have heard that facepalm. Seeing my reaction, Luna was quick to explain herself. The secret here, however, is that no amount of explaining could fix what she just said. My mind was already filing her under the ‘improv’ section.

Since I could fit in that category as well, I decided to end her suffering early; “Don’t you have any friends back in your world that are trying to get you back by now? I’m pretty sure if you just wait the problem will fix itself.”

“Waiting on others to help you is not a way to solve a problem,” Luna stated with a swift nod.

“So you don’t have any friends, good to know,” I deducted.

“Pardon me!” Luna exclaimed.

“Am I wrong?” I question her.

“Well, no, but that’s not the point! I’m sure that my dearest sister will find a way to get me back home,” Luna claimed.

I let a smile grace my lips, she fell right into that one. “See, now all you have to do is wait. In less, of course, you have some way of bringing back your magic in this world.”

My statement seemed to effect Luna deeply. However, I couldn’t determine if she was really hopeful of really hopeless. The expression she seemed to give me was somewhere in between. Not wanting to take the chance of her being potentially depressed I changed the subject.

“Hay Luna?” I asked before thinking.

Her teal eyes soon met mine, “Yes?”

Well, that was a great idea, seeing as now I have nothing to talk about. In an attempt to come up with a topic fast, my eyes darted around her form. The first thing my eyes fell on seemed to just come blearing out my mouth. Hell, even Hitler’s blitzkrieg had nothing on the speed my mouth started the next sentence; “What’s that marking on your ass?”

Luna gave a confused look to me which I, in turn, gave back to her. It was really awkward for the first bit, handing around this confused vibe before Luna finally spoke her mind; “I do not condone the act of slavery nor do I have one for myself!”

“What? How did you get slavery from ass?” I questioned before coming to the sudden realization that our slang words may not match up. “Never mind, what I meant was butt, flank or glutinous maximus whatever you want to call it.”

“Ah, you mean my cutie mark,” Luna stated with a knowing expression.

“Cutie mark,” I repeated with a stoic expression on my face.

Luna rolled her eyes, “I’m sure you humans have something in your anatomy that is named something just as humorous as ours.”

“Well, we do have a nerve called the funny bone.” I claim before brushing it aside, “Either way, what’s that about, you ponies have a thing for butt tattoos?” I question.

“Nay, this mark appears when a pony finds their special talent,” Luna claims.

Looking back down towards her flank I could make out a depiction of the moon, “Like looking at the moon? You an astronaut? Or maybe you just really love moon pies.”

“Do humans have cutie marks? I assume no, from your initial reaction to mine.” Luna questioned changing the subject. She had an uneasy look on her face, maybe she was ashamed of her special talent. Or maybe it was something that would tip me off towards something. Like maybe the moon represented the night, and the black represented death. Either way, I was not going to let her change subjects so easily on me.

“You didn’t tell me what your cutie mark was about, though?” I questioned attempting to get her to spill the beans. I was probably overthinking everything again. That was one thing I was good at.

Luna broke eye contact with me as she sheepishly looked around the room. “It was the first one you listed, I love looking at the moon. Nights have always been my favorite; however, I get the feeling that some ponies don’t appreciate it enough.” Luna commented.

It was then that I realized on key fact about the pony race. They’re terrible liars, I seriously wonder if anyone from their world has tried to use that to their advantage. If they did, they would no doubt be the next Sun Tzu.

Nevertheless, I wasn’t going to push the subject any further. If she was going this far to lie to me about it then I would just have to trust her. Why was I putting so much trust into this mare, I have no idea? She just doesn’t look like the one that would stab you in the back later on down the line. Thankfully, however, this gave me a new topic to talk about with her.

“I’m sure you’ll get along just fine with the people in this town then,” I commented with a little chuckle.

“And how’s that? I seriously doubt that the general public would be thrilled to see an alien,” Luna retorted.

I do have to give her some credit where it’s due. The general public would be freaking out if she just showed up. “Other than you being a pony, people here in Oaklyn love the night. Hell, there’s a midnight summer festival a week from now where they build huge bonfires to celebrate the longest night of the year. Here in Oaklyn the sun never rises on that day.”

I must have said something wrong because I think I just broke Luna. Her eyes are locked forward, her tail is motionless and her ears and wings are twitching. Truth be told, after the third minute like this, I was starting to get worried.

Thankfully, Luna got herself out of her stupor before saying, “How long do the festivities last?”

“Here in Oaklyn, they last all day, seeing as that’s how long the night lasts. They have stalls filled with goodies and tons of prizes you can win from games. It’s like any other festival really, just with a huge ass bonfire at the end,” I lectured.

“All day…” Luna trailed off.

“Yeah, all day,” I commented back giving her a weird look. I know that she’s technically an alien, but for a moment there I thought I was starting to get used to her. Looks like its going to take longer than a couple hours to accomplish that.

Before I could question her further, the cell in my pocket started to ring. This causes me and Luna both to jump in our seats. Her from probably never seeing a device make a sound like that and me from utter surprise that one of my limited friends was calling me. Taking the phone out of my pocket I swiped to answer.

“Yellow,” heh get it? Because it sounds like ‘hello’...

The moment I spoke to the phone Luna started to look at me like I was a crazy person. My speculation from before, just now being proven right. In order to dissolve the situation from getting any worse, I mouthed the words ‘later’ to her. Thankfully, she got the message and started to wander the apartment.

Putting the phone back to my ear I heard my friend Matt speak, “Hey Ari, you got time on your hands tomorrow?”

Looking over to Luna gazing out the apartment window I replied respectively, “No, not really why?” A part of me was just thankful that it wasn’t the landlord calling. Now that would have been a conversation.

“Oh, I was just wondering if you wanted to hang with me and Alex,” Matt stated nonchalantly.

“Dude Alex is in Oaklyn! Why the hell didn’t you tell me earlier.” I exclaimed chewing on the choice before me. Option one, ditch Luna for the night and hang with an old friend. Or option two hang with Luna but ditch an old friend. The choice to me was quite obvious, seeing as I rarely get time with my friends.

“You think I got notice? He just popped by today at my doorstep with his suitcase. Says he’s got the week off and decided to visit. Sucks that you can’t come tomorrow, we’re going to Mulligans for the sake of nostalgia.” Matt boasted, he knew he had my arm tied behind my back. The fact that I was delaying my reply seemingly made it worse.

Finally, before long I folded, “Fine, I’ll come.”

“That’s the Ari I know. Just stop by my place at 8 pm and we’ll head off to the bar,” Matt scheduled.

“Yeah, yeah, take care Alex,” I concluded.

“You too Ari,” and just like that the conversation ended.

As soon as I hung up the phone, Luna was on me like a hound dog. “So, now that it's later tell me why I shouldn’t be finding another human to house me? Talking to an inanimate object is the first signs of losing your mind.”

“Is it?” I asked generally curious.

“I don’t know, but it sure is one of them,” Luna questioned back.

Rolling my eye’s, I followed up with a brief explanation of how phones work. “So, it’s like mail? Except done over these radio waves?” When I say brief, I really mean brief. She’s lucky she got even that out of me. Today has just been nonstop with the questions, I’m actually quite glad I took Matt up with his offer. A nice day at the bar will sure put me back into the game after what today will bring.