• Published 7th Jul 2012
  • 21,055 Views, 770 Comments

A Twixie Love Story - Yukito

  • ...
34
 770
 21,055

Trixie Moves In

Twilight and Pinkie Pie sat together in the Golden Oaks Library, going through a bunch of ideas for the party that Twilight wanted to throw for her marefriend. Twilight currently wasn’t sure whether she was thankful for the help, or regretting having asked Pinkie of all ponies to help her plan something so important.

Well, she may be random and… A little peculiar, but she does throw great parties,’ Twilight thought as she looked over the mess of parchments that just seemed to have random words scribbled all over them, with no clear organization whatsoever. ‘I’m sure it’ll be fine…

“And then maybe over here we could have ‘pin the tail on the pony’, and over there-”

“Pinkie,” Twilight said, cutting her off. “Are you sure about all of this? I mean, I want this to be romantic…”

Pinkie looked at Twilight with a serious look on her face. “Twilight, what does my Cutie Mark say?” she asked, lifting her flank to show off her Cutie Mark.

“… It doesn’t say anything.”

“EX-ACTLY!” Pinkie shouted, getting back to her party planning. “Now, as I was saying!”

Twilight sighed and rested her head on her hooves. She raised her head again when she heard Pinkie suddenly gasp, and saw her ear twitching, her mane fringe shifting left and right, and her left eye winking three times in quick succession. “… Pinkie sense?”

Pinkie smiled and nodded. “Yep!”

“So, what does that one mean?”

“Hmm… Oh! It means a rumble is gonna happen soon!”

“A rumble?” Twilight asked, looking a little concerned. “As in… A fight?”

Pinkie nodded again. “I wouldn’t worry too much. I get this one a lot, because Applejack and Rainbow Dash are always at each other’s throats.”

Twilight sighed in relief, and the two got back to their planning.


Trixie sipped her juice as she admired the beautiful lake before her. “It’s a nice day today, isn’t it, Leon?”

Leon, sitting on Trixie’s shoulder, simply blinked in response.

“Quite right! Trixie should continue on her way soon, if she wants to get there by evening… And, from how beautiful the weather has been today, Trixie has a feeling that things will go very well.”

After finishing her drink, Trixie hopped back into her trailer and continued on her way to Ponyville, using her magic to move her trailer along the road. As she started moving again, she felt a familiar feeling passing through her body.

Huh, that’s strange… Am I getting a cold?

As Trixie made her way closer to Ponyville, two figures crept behind her trailer in the shadows never, getting too close, but never letting her get too far ahead of them.


Trixie parked her trailer just outside of the entrance to Ponyville, and approached it slowly. She had been through this scenario many times in her head: she would simply enter, knowing full well that she had no reason to hesitate, and ignore any strange looks that were sent her way.

But now, Trixie found herself unsure of just how easy such a task would actually be. She lifted a hoof off of the ground, and just stayed in that position for about a minute, contemplating whether or not to take a step forward.

Stop being so afraid! You are the Great and Powerful Trixie! Do you want to be with Twilight or not?!

Shutting her eye tight, Trixie lowered her hoof down, and entered Ponyville.

“Welcome to Ponyville!”

Trixie jumped and opened her eye, to find a grey Pegasus mare hovering in the air in front of her.

“You’re in luck! I was just on my way home from the bakery with some muffins, when I saw you enter just now!” The mare pulled out a muffin from the box she was holding, and offered it to Trixie. “Here! A complimentary muffin to welcome you to Ponyville!”

Trixie nodded, and accepted the muffin. She wanted to thank the mare, but her attention was drawn to something else… The mare’s eyes were… Trixie wasn’t quite sure how to describe it, other than ‘derped’, a word she had come across graffitied on some city walls, with an image of somepony with these same eyes to go with it.

Better not say anything. It might be a sensitive subject.

“Wow, cool patch!” The Pegasus said, admiring Trixie’s eye patch, which was now decorated with a silver image of her Cutie Mark. “Is there something wrong with your eye?”

Trixie wasn’t sure how to respond, so she just looked at the Pegasus in bewilderment. ‘Uh… I guess, it’s okay to ask her, if I also have an eye problem? Is that how it works?’ Trixie cleared her throat and fixed her expression, to give off an air of superiority. “Just a minor infection. It’ll be right as rain in just a few days. And how about you? Trixie noticed your… Condition… She’s curious about it.”

The Pegasus’s wings stopped flapping, and she landed on the ground, looking shocked. Trixie immediately felt uneasy, and it didn’t help when she saw tears start to form in the Pegasus’s eyes.

“W-What?! Y-You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to!”

But it was too late; the Pegasus had already flown away, crying into her foreleg, and the nearby ponies quickly turned their attention to Trixie.

W-What the hay?! So she can bring up my eye, but hers are off-limits?!’ Trixie brought a hoof up to her eye patch, shaking as she recalled what her eye now looked like. She swore never to take it off in public, even if it did come at the cost of half of her vision.

With a huff, Trixie took off down the street, feeling the heated gazes of some of the ponies around her, and hearing them mumble about how she made somepony named ‘Derpy’ cry. Today was looking pretty bad, but she knew that seeing Twilight would make it all worth it.

“HEY!”

Trixie looked around her to search for the source of the loud voice, but when she didn’t see anything, she just assumed that it wasn’t directed towards her, and continued moving.

“Not so fast!”

Trixie this time turned her head skywards, and saw a blue Pegasus charging down towards her at an insane speed.

“W-Watch it, you moron!” Trixie shouted as she moved out of the way just as the Pegasus crashed down to the ground. Trixie quickly recognized the Pegasus as Rainbow Dash, one of Twilight friends… And one of the ponies that Trixie challenged the last time that she was here.

“So, you’re back, and you’re already up to no good?!” Rainbow shouted, pushing her face right into Trixie’s. “I knew I should’ve kicked your flank last time! Somepony really needs to put you in your place!”

Trixie, offended by the invasion of her personal space, pushed Rainbow Dash away. “Oh? And you think you can ‘put Trixie in her place’?”

“That’s right! Nopony makes my friends cry!”

Trixie scoffed and turned away. “The Great and Powerful Trixie has no time to waste with the likes of you! Leave, whilst you still have a somewhat presentable face!”

Rainbow’s anger rose, and she charged forward. “Oh, you are so dead!”

Trixie quickly turned around and was knocked to the ground by Rainbow’s charge. She gritted her teeth as she tried to force the brute off of her, and eventually had to summon her magic to push Rainbow Dash into the air.

Rainbow quickly used her wings to regain herself, and charged towards Trixie for a second attack. Trixie nimbly dodged the assault, and swung a hind leg at Rainbow Dash, which came up just short of her face.

Darn! Having only one eye is harder than I thought!’ Trixie thought as she awkwardly rotated her head, making sure that her opponent never entered her blind spot. ‘Twilight would hate this! But I can’t let this insult go! She attacked me, so I have to defeat her.

Trixie’s horn lit up, and she fired a blast at Rainbow Dash, who avoided it by jumping into the air. Trixie didn’t stop there, though; she conjured up a cloud behind Rainbow Dash, and used it to jolt the Pegasus’s wings.

Rainbow yelped and fell to the ground. She tried to extend her wings, but found that she was unable to. “W-What did you do?!”

“Hmph! What do you think of that? The Great and Powerful Trixie has attacked the nerve endings in your wings! You’ll find that flight will prove impossible for the next two to three hours!”

That was the last straw for Rainbow, and she charged directly at Trixie, with every intent of breaking something once she reached the showmare.

Trixie looked un-amused as she conjured up a spell, but her casting was interrupted by a sudden blow to the head. She looked to her side and saw an orange blur in front of her. After teleporting to avoid Rainbow’s attack, and regaining her vision, Trixie found the blur to be another of Twilight’s friends: Applejack, and she was holding an apple in her hoof.

“So, another pony wishes to challenge the Great and Powerful Trixie?! So be it!”

“AJ! She made Derpy cry!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she stopped her charging.

“Ah know! Ah heard! An’ I also saw what she did tah yer wings!”

“So, we gonna get her?”

“Oh yeah, we’re gonna get her alright!”

Trixie yawned and summoned a whip of fire from thin air. “How amusing,” she said, “But Trixie has already stated that she is in a hurry, so we shall have to hurry this along.”

“What, you need a weapon to fight?” Rainbow taunted. “C’mon! Let’s settle this hoof-to-hoof! At least have some dignity!”

Trixie scowled at Rainbow Dash. “The Great and Powerful Trixie has more dignity in her horn than you do in your entire body!” Rainbow stomped a hoof on the ground, preparing to charge. Trixie flicked her whip into the air, causing little sparks to fall down towards the two ponies. “Careful. Play with Trixie, and you’ll get burned!”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack moved quickly to avoid the flames, all the while drawing closer to Trixie. Trixie flicked her whip again, this time to summon a wall of fire in front of them. This stopped them for a moment, but then the flaming barrier disappeared suddenly, along with the flames from earlier, and the whip that was just in her hooves.

“W-What?!” Trixie shouted, as she found herself unable to move. 'No! Not again! What’s going on here?! Move, body! Move!

Trixie saw Applejack rushing up to her, and was finally able to move just as she attacked. Unfortunately, it wasn’t in time to avoid the devastating buck to her chest, which sent the showmare flying quite a distance.

Trixie panted heavily, and slowly rose to her hooves.

“Now, are ya gonna behave yerself? Or do we have tah go through that again?”

Trixie’s anger rose to levels she had never experienced since she was a foal, and her magic exploded, illuminating the area with an intense purple aura. “NO. MORE. GAMES!” Trixie shouted as she ran forward. She charged right past Applejack, and delivered a series of kicks towards Rainbow Dash, who managed to dodge or block most of them. But one finally managed to get through, sending her flying into a nearby market stall.

“Rainbow!” Applejack called out in concern. Rainbow confirmed that she was okay by getting up, but she was clearly disoriented. Applejack growled and charged at Trixie, attempting to buck the showmare again. This time, Trixie was able to block Applejack’s kick, and used her magic to hold the farmer in the air.

Applejack struggled against the hold, and glared down at Trixie, who was looking up at her with burning anger in her uncovered eye.

“Do you surrender?” Trixie asked. Applejack spit down on Trixie’s face, angering her even more. She began to tighten her magical grip on Applejack.

“STOP!” a voice called out. Trixie turned to the source, only to be greeted by a tomato to the face. The sudden attack was enough to make Trixie lose her grip, dropping Applejack to the ground.

After wiping the offending produce away, Trixie found the hateful gaze of a white Unicorn being sent her way. ‘And there’s Rarity. Great, now I’ve got all three of them to deal with…

“How dare you?! You come to our town, make our friend cry, and then cause such a disturbance as this?! Not to mention the injuries that you have caused those two!”

“They approached Trixie!” Trixie shouted. “Trixie gave them the chance to stop, but they refused! They deserve what they get!”

“And so do you!” Rarity shouted as she used her magic to fling more tomatoes at Trixie. A blast of purple light appeared between the tomatoes and their target, and everypony in the area fell silent when they saw what had been hit instead of Trixie.

With a deep breath, Twilight shouted as loud as she could: “WHAT DO THINK YOU’RE DOING TO MY MAREFRIEND?!”


In her bedroom, Luna stirred in her sleep as she chewed her pillow, mumbling something about ‘the greatest sundae in the world’. Suddenly, her eyes shot open, and she turned her attention to a mirror by her bed, which had a large crack running down the centre.

“Oh dear… A bad omen…” she said as she slowly lay back down and drifted off to sleep once again.


Nopony in Ponyville had ever experienced a deadly quiet quite like this. In the middle, Trixie was staring at the back of Twilight’s head, both fearful for what Twilight will say to her, and happy that Twilight had stood up for her.

Twilight was glaring at her friend Rarity, who still had a bunch of tomatoes in her magic. After realising why Twilight was glaring, Rarity quickly put the tomatoes down.

Around the two mares, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity were staring at them, completely stunned by what they had just heard. And then, forming a final circle around the whole fiasco, a large crowd of ponies, originally drawn to the fight between Rainbow Dash and Trixie, were now waiting in anticipation to see what would happen next. They were all too afraid to say anything, but at the same time, none wished to leave just yet.

Trixie decided to break the silence by walking past Twilight, drawing the attention of everypony around. “Sorry about this. I guess I really shouldn’t have come here.”

Twilight’s anger faded, and was replaced with a sad frown as she approached Trixie. “Why are you here? I thought you had to stay in Fillydelphia until this weekend.”

“I got released early, so I thought I’d come and surprise you.” Trixie turned her face to the ground, and pulled her hat down to cover her eyes in its shadow. “But I’m just gonna cause a mess if I stay here, so I’ll be on my way.”

“No!” Twilight shouted, reaching forward and grabbing Trixie’s tail with her magic. “Please… Don’t go. I’m sorry about this. I-I’ll sort it out. So please…”

Trixie turned to Twilight to see tears falling down her face, and bit her lower lip as she tried to decide what to do. ‘Great! Just great! First, I get into a fight with these ruffians, then I get bucked so hard I think a rib broke, and then I get pelted by a tomato! And now, I’m making Twilight cry!

Trixie sighed and leaned forward to nuzzle Twilight’s cheek. “Please don’t cry, Twilight.”

Twilight wiped a tear away with her hoof, and whispered into Trixie’s ear: “So will you stay?”

Trixie hesitated for a moment, but then nodded. Twilight smiled and kissed Trixie’s cheek, after wiping away some of the tomato that was there. “Wait for me at the library. I’ll be there soon.” Trixie nodded, and began to walk away. “And Trixie… Feel free to use my shower while you wait,” Twilight said, grinning at Trixie as she left.

Trixie returned Twilight’s smile, and made her way down a random street. The crowd parted as Trixie passed by, and then she stopped for a moment once she was past them.

“Trix!” a familiar voice shouted. Trixie turned her head to see Lyra waving at her from the crowd. “Library’s that way!” she shouted as she pointed a hoof in the direction of the library.

Trixie nodded and silently thanked her, and then made her way towards the library.


“Hold your fire!”

“What? Why?”

“Lulamoon is still alive! We don’t need to kill those ponies anymore.”

“But what if they attack her again? C’mon, I’ve already got my bowstring pulled back!”

“No! It’s not worth the risk! Besides, she’s leaving. We need to follow her.”


“Alright! Everypony just get back to your business!” Lyra shouted as she and Bon Bon tried to disperse the crowd of ponies. “Nothing to see here! Move along!”

Whilst Lyra’s attempts were rather unsuccessful, one hard glare from Bon Bon was enough to make the ponies quickly canter off and return to their daily lives. Once the crowd was gone, Lyra and Bon Bon decided to give Twilight and her friends some privacy.

“Girls… I think we need to talk,” Twilight said uneasily as she approached her three friends.

“It seems we do,” Rarity said, trying to remain civil. “But first, perhaps a little clarification is in order?”

Rainbow stepped in front of Rarity and shot a glare at Twilight, opting out of the civil approach. “Yeah! Like, what did you mean when you said ‘marefriend’? Were you serious?”

Twilight nodded, and Rainbow looked like she was about to explode. “You’ve gotta be kidding me! You, and Trixie?! That loud, arrogant, self-centred-”

Rainbow Dash!” Twilight shouted, clearly annoyed at her friend. “I know you don’t like her, and you’re my friend… But I won’t just stand here and let you say whatever you like about her!”

“C’mon, Twi! You can do better than her! What’s the deal?!”

“She’s not as bad as you make her out to be, and maybe if you just talked to her, instead of challenging her and getting annoyed so easily, you’d see that!”

Rainbow shook her head and turned around. “No way! That pony’s nothing but an arrogant show-off, who gets thrills from humiliating other ponies! In other words, a jerk!”

“That’s not true!” Twilight argued, but Rainbow wasn’t listening.

“Forget it! I’m outta here! When you’re finally ready to see reason, come find me!”

Before Twilight could stop her, Rainbow Dash took off through Ponyville. ‘That could’ve gone better,' she thought to herself. ’And there are still two more left.

She turned around and looked at her friends, Applejack and Rarity, who seemed to be a lot calmer than Rainbow Dash was.

“So… That’s how it is between me and Trixie,” she said, shuffling a hoof on the ground.

“You love her?” Applejack asked, receiving a nod from Twilight. “… Dang, this’s quite a mess we’ve got ourselves into…” Applejack wandered off to the side. For a moment, Twilight was afraid that she was leaving, but then she saw that the farmer was just thinking the situation over, mumbling to herself as she did.

Rarity moved closer to Twilight, to speak more quietly, as there were still a few curious onlookers. “Twilight, how long has this been going on for?”

“… Months.”

“I see…” Rarity closed her eyes for a moment, and then opened them up again, replacing her look of unease with a strong look of determination. “And?”

Twilight looked at Rarity in confusion. “And… What?”

“Well… Does she make you happy?”

Twilight stared blankly for a second, and then nodded.

“I see.” Rarity smiled and put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Well, if that’s the case, then I’m happy for you, Twilight.”

Twilight’s face lit up in hope, and she returned Rarity’s smile. “You mean-”

“Do not misunderstand,” Rarity said, breaking Twilight’s smile. “I’m happy that you’ve found that special somepony to make your life complete,” Rarity explained, swooning slightly as she said it. She regained her serious expression, and continued. “However, I’m sure you’ll agree that Trixie and I don’t exactly have the best relationship in all of Equestria.”

Twilight’s ears drooped, and her face fell, causing Rarity to frown and mutter a word of apology. “Can’t you… At least give her a chance?”

Rarity looked over at Applejack, who was still mulling the situation over. “That depends,” Rarity whispered, before turning back to Twilight. “I don’t know, Twilight. I shall have to think it over. However, for now, I shall do my best to avoid getting into any more fights with Trixie… Provided she returns the same courtesy, of course.”

Twilight nodded. “I’ll have a talk with Trixie later. Thanks, Rarity.”

“But of course. What are friends for, after all?”

The two shared a quick hug, happy that they were still on good terms with each other, and then Rarity began to make her way back to her shop, leaving Twilight with just one more friend to confront.

Applejack, now finished thinking things through, approached Twilight with her decision.

“Ah don’t like it,” she said, which was much worse than what Twilight was fearing she’d hear. Rather than ‘ah don’t like her’, referring to Trixie, it was ‘ah don’t like it’, referring to the situation itself.

“You… You don’t like that I’m dating Trixie?”

Applejack shook her head quickly. “No, ah meant this mess we’re in!” she said, clarifying her previous statement, and bringing out a sigh of relief from Twilight. “Ah can’t say ah really like Trixie very much, and ah don’t think ah ever will. But ye’re mah friend, and ah want ya tah be happy, but…”

Twilight reached forward to place a hoof on Applejack’s shoulder, but the other pony pulled away. “Applejack, please… I don’t want things to be difficult between us…”

“Twilight, what d’ya even see in her?”

“… She’s charming, and smart, and kind,” Twilight said. “Easily provoked, but still kind at heart.”

“She’s loud and arrogant,” Applejack countered.

“And Rainbow Dash is Miss Modest?” Twilight asked jokingly.

“She lies, just to make herself look better!”

“And I hear Rarity knows the trainer of the Wonderbolts.” Twilight cringed slightly at the idea of using her friends as tools for defending Trixie, but she couldn’t stand to hear somepony badmouth her marefriend like this, and it’s not like she was trying to insult her friends or anything… “What I mean is, she’s not as bad as you make her out to be. She’s actually got a lot in common with you guys.”

“She’s nothing like us!” Applejack argued. “We have the decency not to rub our talents in everypony’s faces!” Twilight bit her lip, resisting the urge to bring up the Iron Pony competition. That would probably be going too far. “She’s nothing but a self-centred, arrogant little show-off! Defend her all you want, but ah can’t stand ponies who parade their talents around like she does!”

Twilight clenched her eyes shut tightly, and took a deep breath. ‘… I shouldn’t say it… I shouldn’t say it…

“You can do better than her, Twi! You should just throw her away and find somepony else!”

Something inside of Twilight snapped, and she looked up at Applejack with anger in her eyes. “So that’s it? You hate her ‘cause she shows off?” Twilight asked.

Applejack nodded. “Ah said it before, an’ ah’ll say it again: ah have no problem with ponies that are talented, but when they go showin’ it off, that’s where ah draw the line.”

A moment of silence passed between the two, and was broken by two words from Twilight: “Cutie Pox.”

Applejack looked at her quizzically. “Beg pardon?”

“… When Apple Bloom had the Cutie Pox, do you remember what happened?” Twilight didn’t give Applejack enough time to think, and just continued. “She got a Cutie Mark in hoop-de-hoop, and went over to her school to show it off.” Applejack’s eyes widened as she realised where this was going. “And then, she got another Cutie Mark in plate spinning, and started to show off both talents, around the town.

“Oh, but there’s more. I recall a certain big sister watching her with such pride in her eyes, cheering her on, and even helping her to show those talents off… Encouraging her to show off.”

“Now hold on, Twi!” Applejack shouted, stomping a hoof. “There’s a world of difference there! Apple Bloom just earned her Cutie Mark! Of course she’d be excited!”

“It’s the same thing!” Twilight argued. “Trixie’s talent is magic, and she’s so proud of it that she wants to show it off to everypony! It doesn’t matter if she only just got it or not, what she and Apple Bloom did were the same thing!”

“Apple Bloom’s only a filly! What d’ya expect her ta do?!”

“Her showing off isn’t the point of the story! It’s that you encouraged her to show off!” Applejack reeled back and flinched. “If you hate showing off as much as you claim, then one would expect you to not only dislike your sister showing off, but to try and convince her to stop showing off!”

Applejack didn’t say anything, because she wasn’t sure what to say. “I don’t know why you specifically target Trixie, but it’s clear that there’s some other reason for it, beyond her being a show-off.”

Twilight walked past Applejack, who was staring at the ground in complete silence. “Applejack, I don’t want our friendship to end, but at the same time, I love Trixie with all my heart. I’m not asking you to get along, but at the very least, please try to put up with her. If you two start fighting… I don’t know who I should side with, but I guess it’d be whoever didn’t throw the first kick.

“Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a marefriend who’s upset, and needs me to be with her,” she said, her tone making it sound more like a boast than it was meant to. ‘Wow, she really is rubbing off on me.

Once Twilight was gone, Applejack stomped the ground in frustration. “Darn it… Ah knew ah should’ve bucked her when ah first saw her…”


Twilight entered the library, only to be greeted by the most depressing sight in the world… Trixie was sitting in the corner, her head resting on her foreleg as made circles on the desk in front of her with her hoof.

In the centre of the room, Spike was sitting in an uneasy silence, apparently not even daring to breathe too loudly, and Pinkie Pie was in much the same state, with her usually curly hair now in straight bangs.

“Sorry, Spike, Pinkie Pie, but do you two think I could have some alone time with her?” Twilight asked as she walked in.

The two nodded, and quickly got up, all too happy with the thought of leaving. As soon as they were outside, Pinkie’s hair re-inflated, and she grabbed Spike off the ground and took off down the street, cheering something about cupcakes.

Twilight closed the door, and made her way over to Trixie. “Trixie… Are you okay?”

“… Are you?” Trixie asked.

“Well, of course I am. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“… Your friends didn’t yell at you? You didn’t get into a fight with them?”

Twilight sighed and sat down next to Trixie, wrapping her forelegs around her marefriend. “Well, Rarity seems to be okay… Applejack and Rainbow Dash on the other hoof…” She practically felt the gloom seeping out of Trixie’s body, and quickly tried to fix it. “W-What I mean is, they’ll be fine, after a few days! They just… Need some time to get used to it, is all! I’m sure everything will be okay, so don’t worry about it.”

Trixie nodded slowly, and lifted her head up to look Twilight in the eyes. Twilight noticed the tomato still on Trixie’s face, and frowned. “You didn’t wash up?”

Trixie shook her head slowly. “Couldn’t get the hot water to work.”

Twilight laughed nervously, and rose to her hooves. “Oh, right. Our shower’s kinda awkward. Sorry about that,” she said, before making her way to the kitchen.

Trixie heard the sound of running water, and was suddenly curious as to what Twilight was up to. When Twilight returned, she was carrying a wet hoofkerchief in her magic.

“Alright, hold still,” she said as she began rubbing the hoofkerchief against Trixie’s face, causing Trixie to squirm a little in the process. “Now, how about you tell me what happened? And I want the full truth… Okay?”

Trixie refused to answer at first, but a stern look from Twilight was all she needed to start recounting the events that transpired from her entering Ponyville, up to when Twilight interrupted her fight with the three ponies.

“I see,” Twilight said once the story was over. “And you didn’t mean Derpy any harm?”

Trixie shook her head quickly. “Of course not! Trixie doesn’t know what her deal is, but since she seemed so cheerful, Trixie assumed it would be okay to ask!”

Twilight nodded. “I see. Well, I think the first order of business is to apologize to Derpy. She’s very sensitive about her eyes.”

Trixie hung her head low at that news. “Well how was Trixie supposed to know that?… Trixie will apologize tomorrow, as long as you help Trixie find her.”

Twilight smiled and pulled Trixie into a hug. The hug was short though, and Twilight had to push Trixie away and brace herself for the next part of their talk.

“Also… Trixie, I’m sorry, but I can’t side with you completely on this whole situation.”

Trixie must have looked completely shocked, because Twilight quickly began to explain. “While it was indeed Rainbow Dash that approached you first, you also provoked her with your taunts. And while you could have easily avoided the situation and walked away, you fought back!”

“But-”

“‘There was no call for them interrupting Trixie’s show! If they did not like it, they should have simply walked away!’”

Trixie stared at Twilight incredulously. “That’s what Trixie said to you once, before we started dating… And you got it word for word. Trixie loves it when you do that.”

Twilight spared a moment to blush and smile at Trixie’s praise, but shook it off, not wanting to get sidetracked right now. “That’s right, but it also works both ways. If somepony is bothering you offstage, you shouldn’t let it get to you! You should be the bigger mare, and simply walk away.”

Trixie turned her head and mumbled: “That’s easier said than done.” She turned back to see Twilight looking at her as if she were waiting for an explanation, and lay her head back down on her forelegs. “It’s nothing. Forget it.”

“Trixie-” Twilight began, but stopped when an idea passed through her mind. “… Trixie, wait right here. I’ll be right back.”

Twilight got up and trotted off upstairs. Trixie didn’t bother raising her head, and just stared off into space until Twilight returned.

“Trixie?” Trixie lifted her head up and looked up at Twilight, who was now wearing a pair of thick glasses, and had her hair tied up in a bun. She was sitting on the floor in front of Trixie, and was patting her lap with a forehoof. “Come here. Tell me what’s troubling you.”

Despite the current situation, Trixie couldn’t help gawking at Twilight, all kinds of thoughts running through her mind as she admired Twilight’s new appearance. “… It’s not something Trixie likes to talk about,” she said, still unable to take her eyes off of Twilight.

“Even to your marefriend?” Twilight asked in a sulky tone, her lower lip curling into a pout. “Please, Trixie. I want you to share whatever’s bothering you with me.”

Trixie swallowed the lump in her throat, and ultimately gave in to Twilight’s demands. “Fine… I’ll talk…”

Trixie was about to start, when Twilight patted her lap once more. Trixie moved closer and rested her head on Twilight’s lap, looking up at Twilight with an uneasy frown on her face. Twilight looked down with a reassuring smile, and asked her to begin.

“… You know I grew up on the streets, right?” Twilight nodded. “Well, it’s because of that that I couldn’t simply walk away from Rainbow Dash’s taunts.”

Twilight must have been missing some key detail, because what seemed to be very clear to Trixie was lost on her. “Um… Perhaps you could elaborate a little bit?”

“… On the streets, it’s survival of the fittest.” Twilight now understood a little better, but still let Trixie continue. “I had to fight to protect myself, and to get food and water. But more so than that, it was a matter of pride. For those who have nothing, our pride is our most valuable treasure. It’s the only thing that keeps us going.

“When our pride is insulted, we have to stand strong, and make the offending party pay. And when we’re provoked… Well, let’s just say I learned the hard way that walking away isn’t always an option, and that softness has no place on the streets.”

Twilight leaned down hugged Trixie gently. “I think I understand a little better now… Still, you’re not on the streets anymore. Not everypony is out for your blood, and you can’t just get into fights with everypony who offends you.”

“I know that,” Trixie said, though she sounded uncertain. “It’s just that, old habits are kind of hard to break. I’m afraid that, if I become too soft, I’ll only end up failing to protect myself… And you, too.”

Twilight smiled and stroked Trixie’s mane. “So you find it hard to find the right point between ‘too rough’ and ‘too soft’?” Trixie nodded. “I see… Personally, I think that you just have a hard time trusting others, and don’t give them enough benefit of the doubt.”

Trixie thought about it for a moment. She remembered having a similar conversation with Fluttershy the previous day, about how, if ponies could just trust each other a bit more, and open themselves up to each other, then there’d be less violence in the world. ‘Heh, I’m such a hypocrite,’ Trixie thought to herself as she sat up, and looked Twilight in the eyes.

“I don’t know… If I can trust ponies as easily as you do. It’s not easy, when your whole life you’ve been fighting against the world by yourself.”

Twilight leaned forward and kissed Trixie on the lips. It was a soft, gentle kiss, and it brought a peaceful harmony to the room. When she pulled back, she shot Trixie a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry. I’ll help you.”

Trixie smiled back, and leaned forward to rub her forehead against Twilight’s. “The Great and Powerful Trixie would appreciate that.”

After a few more kisses between the two, Twilight noted the time, and saw that it was starting to get dark outside. “Maybe we should get you settled in, before it gets too dark.”

Trixie nodded, and rose to her hooves. “Trixie’s trailer is just outside of Ponyville.”

Twilight wrapped her hoof around Trixie’s, and gestured for her to lead. “Lead the way, Great and Powerful Trixie.”


Once the two reached Trixie’s trailer, they found rather crude drawings and messages painted all over it, in a variety of different colours. They were things like threats to get out of town, warnings, and insults. Twilight had a pretty good idea who was behind this, and made a mental note to have a talk with a certain rainbow-maned Pegasus the following day.

For now, though, they had to get the trailer to the library. On the way back, they passed Cheerilee, Lyra, and Bon Bon, who were concerned about the two, and wanted to make sure that they were okay. After finding out that they were okay, they offered to help move some of Trixie’s things into the library.

Cheerilee and Bon Bon were very helpful, and asked Trixie to tell them some stories, hoping that it would help cheer her up. A gesture that Twilight appreciated very much. Lyra, on the other hoof, spent most of her time ‘fangasming’, as Bon Bon put it, over Trixie’s various props, and the idea of actually being inside the Great and Powerful Trixie’s trailer.

The five mares continued talking to each other for a while, even after they had finished with the moving, and Twilight was happy to see Trixie back to her cheery and boastful self.

Wouldn’t have it any other way,’ Twilight thought to herself.

Once their guests left, Twilight and Trixie retreated into what was now their home, together, and started to focus on their next, probably more challenging task: how to break the news to Spike.


A/N: Thanks to TimeTravInDEMON and Campisi for pre-reading and editing this chapter.