• Published 20th Mar 2017
  • 6,691 Views, 517 Comments

No Worse Want - RaylanKrios



There is no worse want than the want of a warm hearth

  • ...
8
 517
 6,691

A Full Cabin is Better than an Empty Castle

Twilight gently pushed the door to the guest room open. “Hello Scootaloo. Spike said you were ready to talk?”

Scootaloo hadn’t moved from her spot on the edge of the bed, facing the far wall. She glanced over her shoulder but didn’t turn around. “I only said that ‘cause he’s always been nice to me. I know you’re just going to send me away.”

“Maybe I don’t have to.” Scootaloo didn’t say anything, but a spark of interest flashed across her face. Twilight continued her pitch. “I want to help you, and maybe that means you staying in Ponyville, but the only way I’ll know is if you talk to me.”

Scootaloo turned around and looked up with glistening eyes. “If I answer your questions you won’t send me back to Manehattan?”.

Because she didn’t know exactly what Scootaloo meant, Twilight shook her head. “I can’t promise that, but if you don’t tell me whats going on I will have to call Foal Services.”

Scootaloo scowled, the stubborn, go-it-alone determination returning with a vengeance. “I don’t have to tell you anything, you can’t keep me here!”

Twilight sighed inwardly. Scootaloo was right; keeping her confined was not a sustainable solution. “I just want to help.”

“That’s what Spike said, but you can’t help me!”

Twilight took a deep breath. “Scootaloo, I’ve traveled all over Equestria helping ponies. Most of them think their situations are hopeless too. But I’ve found that if ponies talk things out and think about their problems, there’s always a solution.”

“This isn’t a friendship problem,” Scootaloo fired back.

“You’re right, it’s not.” Agreeing with ponies was always a good way to calm them down. “Can we please try my way anyway?” Scootaloo nodded skeptically, but a nod was a nod. Twilight moved on to the next item on her agenda. “How long have you lived in Ponyville?”

“A couple years.”

“A couple—” Twilight swallowed her shock. Hysterics were guaranteed to bring more emotion to a situation that already had too much. “Where did you live before that?”

“Manehattan.”

“Where in Manehattan?”

“The orphanage.”

If Twilight could find out any details about Scootaloo’s family, maybe she could find some relatives willing to take her. The one- and two-word answers were frustrating, but Twilight pressed on. “Scootaloo, I know this isn’t easy, but I need you to talk to me. Do you remember where you lived before that?”

“No, I don’t remember living anywhere before that.” Annoyance was beginning to creep into Scootaloo’s voice. Twilight chose to ignore it.

“OK, why you’d leave the orphanage in Manehattan?”

“I didn’t like it there. There were too many rules. Make your bed, go to bed at nine, eat your vegetables. And if you didn’t you’d get an ‘X’ next to your name and if you got too many ‘X’s you wouldn’t get to play during playtime.”

“That doesn’t sound so bad.”

“Maybe for you,” Scootaloo said with a snort.

Twilight wasn’t looking for an argument about the merits of progressive discipline in childcare, she moved on. “So you just ran away?”

“Kinda. One day they told me that I was moving to an older foals’ home in Trotson. So when they took me to the train station I snuck off and got on the train to Ponyville instead.”

Questions came pouring out despite Twilight’s best efforts to remain calm. “I can’t belive no one ever found you! How did you get enrolled in school? What about Family Appreciation Day?”

“I don’t know, Twilight. I just showed up at school and I fake my parents’ signatures on things. It’s worked so far.” There was a pause as Twilight considered which of her many questions to ask next. Scootaloo beat her to the punch. “So now what?”

Twilight made a mental note to talk to Cheerilee about Scootaloo’s records as well as look into the state of Equestria's orphanges. “What do you mean?”

“Are you going to keep me here forever? Because I’m not going back to that orphanage, or any other one.” Scootaloo didn’t yell, but underneath the statement was an unmistakeable challenge.

“I’m not going to make you to stay here Scootaloo. I’m sorry I used a force field in the first place, I really am. But I can’t let you stay homeless.”

“Why not? I was doing fine!” Scootaloo shouted indignantly

In her study of conflict resolution, Twilight had learned was to avoid accusations, so she didn’t disagree but rather she turned the focus on herself. “It’d be irresponsible of me. I wouldn’t be much of a princess if I did. But I also wouldn’t be a very good princess, or a good friend, if I just shipped you off to a strange city. So do you want to stay in Ponyville?”

For the first time Twilight detected a note of hope in the young filly’s voice. “Yeah, I mean my friends are here. But I don’t want anyone to know I’m homeless. Especially not Rainbow Dash!”

Finally Scootaloo issued a demand Twilight could agree to. “Rainbow is away for the month for Wonderbolts training, that won’t be a problem. And I’m hoping by the time she gets back we’ll have this all worked out. I’m going to take the forcefield down now. If you want to run away I won’t stop you, but I will write to Foal Services.”

“So I either do what you say or you’ll report me?” It wasn’t so much a question as an accusation.

“You can either accept my help or not, but I can’t pretend I don’t know what’s going on. For what it’s worth, I think you’re a lot better off with me.” Twilight flared her horn and a purple light flashed around the room. Scootaloo immediately ran to the door and pushed it open. A look of surprise registered on her face as her hoof made contact with the wood. She stepped just beyond the doorframe and turned to look at Twilight, who made no effort to move. “If you want to leave, you can,” Twilight said.

Scootaloo took another step forward and Twilight still didn’t move. Scootaloo turned around and walked back into the bedroom. “I’ll stay. For now,” she quickly added.


Twilight returned downstairs to find Spike making enough pancakes to feed a small crowd. “I don’t know what to do Spike,” she moaned.

Spike flipped a pancake, without a spatula, and turned the flame off before setting down the pan. “About Scootaloo? Is she going to let you help her?”

Twilight sighed and poured herself a glass of juice. “There isn’t any foster care in Ponyville, it’s too small a town for that. I could ask if anypony would be willing to take care of her, but she seems adamant about taking care of herself.”

“Maybe she could stay here?”

“She can’t stay here, Spike.”

“Why not? We have the space.” Spike transferred his mound of pancakes to a serving plate.

“It’s not about that. She needs a family, ponies who can take care of her. I’m not ready to be a mother.”

“She’s not a baby, Twilight. She’s done a pretty okay job taking care of herself.”

“She sleeps in an abandoned basement!”

“Yeah and she’s doing pretty well. Neither of us would’ve guessed she was homeless. Imagine how great she could be if she had a warm bed and dinner every night. We could give her that.”

“We’re not talking about looking after her for a weekend, Spike.” Twilight sighed. “Besides she doesn’t seem to want anything to do with me right now.”

“She talked to you, that seems like a start.”

Twilight smiled, but her brow remained furrowed. “I guess it is.”

Author's Note:

If this story has acts, (and it kinda doesn't) then this is the end of Act I. I owe my usual thanks to Zimmerwald1915 for his editing and general prose tightening.

Most authors love feedback.