• Published 20th Mar 2017
  • 6,695 Views, 517 Comments

No Worse Want - RaylanKrios



There is no worse want than the want of a warm hearth

  • ...
8
 517
 6,695

Something New

The next morning was overcast and cold, the perfect morning to stay in with a smoldering fire and a good book, despite that Twilight again set off in search of more answers; boarding a train to Manehattan. Though Ponyville’s archives didn’t have any answers, Scootaloo used to live in Manehattan, and now that she had a case number to orient her she could begin a search of the Manhehattan archives.. Despite the maudlin circumstances Twilight couldn’t help but be excited on the train ride.; what made research so gratifying to her was the process. Starting with one small piece of information, that she could pull on, until the whole problem became unraveled.

Government standards being uniform throughout Equestria, Manehattans foal services was housed within city hall. But unlike Ponyville’s one story building, Manehattan’s city hall was a 25 story skyscraper. The directory in the lobby told her that she was looking for the 16th floor. When she arrived she was met with a look of shock from the receptionist. It was the same look she encountered all over Equestria when she traveled outside Ponyville. Is that really a Princess? What’s she doing here? Am I in trouble? Is my life about to change? The answers to those questions were almost always, yes, running errands, no and no. But that didn’t stop Twilight from becoming exasperated on occasion. She put on her best smile. “Yes, hi. I’m actually running Ponyville’s Foal Services office for the time being and well I need a file I think you have.”

The receptionist behind the desk quickly composed herself. “Of course, we catalog files by year. which one?”

Twilight bit back a comment about how chronological ordering wasn’t the optimal filing solution for an agency whose timelines could easily become confused.. “I’m not really sure, try five years ago. The filly’s name is Scootaloo.”

“Right away your Highness,” the clerk said, as Twilight forced another smile.

Some rummaging later, the clerk produced a manilla envelope. Twilight didn’t wait to get home, choosing to open the file right there on the counter, her curiosity getting the best of her. Scootaloo’s medical history showed she received all of her shots and yearly checkups revealed no serious health problems. She had more than a few disciplinary write-ups from her time in the orphanage, but all were for minor infractions, the most serious being the time she thought it would be a good idea to slide down the stairs on a repurposed bath mat.

“Is that it?” the receptionist asked hopefully.

No this isn’t it. How can this be it, this is barely more than a medical history, I don't need to know if Scootaloo got her shots, I need to know who she is so I can find her a home that makes her happy! “Yes, thank you.”

Her trip to Foal Services being what could barely be considered a success Twilight set off to one of her favorite places. Manehattan was home to one of the largest libraries in Equestria, and it’s crown jewel was the stately reading room. Laid out more like a museum, which it technically was given the age and rarity of some of it’s volumes, the reading room in the central branch was one of Twilight’s favorite places. As a child she spent countless hours exploring far off places and studying the works of Equestria's foremost thinkers, and though her duties as a Princess prevented her from returning as often as she would have liked she still felt right at home, claiming a small desk in the far left corner of the room where she was least likely to be disturbed. Alone with her thoughts, and armed with all of the paperwork she was likely to get, Twilight opened the Foal Services Registry. After reading a few listings to gauge the appropriate style and tone she took out a pen and began to write.


While Twilight was off in Manehattan, Scootaloo decided to take advantage of a rare afternoon off to spend time with the crusaders. Today's activity was Cutie Mark Crusaders doctors, but unfortunately the citizens of ponyville didn’t seem to have any medical ailments they were willing to let three fillies with a propensity for mayhem treat.

“How are we supposed to get out medical cutie marks if no one will let us help them?” Sweetie Belle asked throwing her hoofs in the air.

“We could look at that bandage you got there Scoots,” Applebloom suggested.

Scootaloo instinctively brought her damaged hoof closer. “But it’s already healing, we aren’t going to get our cutie marks by putting on a new bandage.”

“Maybe but we aren’t going to get our cutie marks doing nothing either,” Applebloom playfully retorted.

As usual the role of peacemaker fell to Sweetie. “What if we just play a game, it’s been a while since we had fun, just the three of us.”

Scootaloo was quick to agree if for no other reason then it would end the discussion about her hoof. “I call the going first,” she said, rushing to grab Scrabble from it’s place on the shelf.


Scootaloo is an energetic filly who would do well in a small family that enjoys the outdoors. She doesn't have any diagnosed behavioral issues but she does have a fierce independent streak. This will be her first real family and she's eager to fit in however her new parents should be prepared to work with her on that front. Her extracurricular interest include riding on her scooter and the wonderbolts. She's made several friends in ponyville and it would be best for her to stay where she could continue those friendships.

Twilight read the paragraph she had just written, precise in its language, factually accurate, elegant in its brevity and promptly crumpled it up in disgust where it joined a small mound of other similarly crumpled papers. She’s not a puppy. I thought I was going to do this differently. How is another boilerplate ‘please adopt this little girl’ going to help anypony? She slammed the adoption registry closed in another moment of frustration. Taking a deep breath, Twilight began to mentally distance herself from the task at hand, it was her prefered method of problem solving. Break the problem down to it’s components, then work backwards.

Scootaloo needs a family.
To get a family she needs to be adopted
To be adopted prospective parents have to be interested in adopting her.
To be interested in adopting her her entry in the registry has to be compelling.

That was it, the flaw in the process! The whole stupid registry was doing more harm than good. Emboldened with an idea, Twilight quickly packed up and flew back to Foal Services. When she burst through the door the look of sheer terror on the receptionist face was enough to remind Twilight to lower her excitement levels. “If I was looking to adopt a foal, where would I start?”

Author's Note:

So two stories I like have been revived from a deep slumber recently. I figured it was only fair to add mine to that list.

Authors love feedback.

All mistakes in this are mine, my editors haven't proofed this chapter because I didn't ask them to.