• Published 20th Mar 2017
  • 6,691 Views, 517 Comments

No Worse Want - RaylanKrios



There is no worse want than the want of a warm hearth

  • ...
8
 517
 6,691

Now What?

“The secret to a good hayburger is to make a little dent in the patty so it doesn’t get too thick in the middle,” Spike said, demonstrating with a single clawed finger.

Scootaloo looked down at her unwieldy hoof and picked up a spoon with her mouth, using the narrow end to mimic Spike’s technique. “Like this?” she said, the words decidedly muffled. .

Spiked nodded his approval. “Awesome, Scoots, we’ll make a chef out of you yet.”

“Yeah? Maybe I should take Olive up on those cooking lessons she’s always offering.” Scootaloo chuckled.

“You know Olive?” Spike asked taking the tray of burgers over to the griddle. “She let me stage for a few weeks while I was studying Itallenighen food.”

“Sometimes I wash dishes for her, we must have missed each other,” Scootaloo replied. Spike already knew she was an orphan, adding one more sad detail from her life didn’t seem to matter.

“Cool,” Spike said with a nonchalant shrug. “Well if you do decide to take her up on it you should know that she definitely doesn’t like putting carrots in her marinara sauce.

Before Scootaloo could ask why that was important Twilight walked in. “That smells great,” she said over the sizzle. She felt Scootaloo’s eyes on her but resolved to do her best to act like everything was perfectly normal. “Since you two are making dinner, it’s only fair that I set the table.” Scootaloo didn’t react, but Spike let out a brief. “Sweet,” before turning his attention toward which of the patties needed to be flipped. Twilight levitated three place settings from the cabinet and quickly sauntered off to the dining room, dishware trailing behind her in a purple cloud.

“C’mon Scoots, I’ll teach you the secret to making hay fries.” Spike called out before Scootaloo could guess further about Twilight’s motivations.


Dinner was uneventful, but Scootaloo did seem to enjoy Spikes cooking which then led to the pair arguing about how much food filli-second needed to eat to keep her energy up. Truthfully there were a million questions Twilight wanted to ask, but the conversation was so light and airy, that it felt wrong to break it up.

But dinner ended, Spike and Scootaloo retreated to their respective rooms and Twilight was forced to confront the fact she wasn’t any closer to resolving Scootaloo’s living situation then she had been at the beginning of the day. Not only that but Scootaloo deserved a complete and honest accounting. Her resolve not to follow the trope of catering to prospective adopting ponies, she decided to approach the problem from the opposite side, letting Scootaloo pick her family. It was almost certainly more difficulty, but maybe if the ponies being adopted had more of a choice they’d feel a sense of investment in their new home.

Twilight went upstairs to find Scootaloo in the middle of the room, her scooter turned over on it’s side as she fiddled with the axles in charge of keeping her wheels aligned.

“That looks interesting, what are you doing?”

Scootaloo glanced up, but only momentarily. “I’m rebalancing my wheels, he was pulling to the left a bit today.”

“He?”

“Well yeah, his name is Scooter and that’s a colts name.”

Twilight smiled, hoping that Scootaloo’s banter meant that she had achieved at least a small measure of trust. “I suppose I can’t argue with that. It’s pretty cool that you can fix your own scooter.”

Scootaloo shrugged. “It’s not like I can afford new parts, kinda had to learn how.”

Twilight waited for Scootaloo to elaborate, hoping to find an avenue to broach the topic of finding Scootaloo a home, but Scootaloo just turned her attention back to her scooter’s left wheel. Unable to think of another approach Twilight fell back to What would I want if I was in her shoes? She’d want ponies to be honest. “I guess I should tell you how my day went.”

Scootaloo looked up from the spinning wheel with the same look that Twilight first saw in the basement. It wasn’t exactly fear, it looked like Scootaloo was rapidly cycling through all the possible permutations of what was coming next and preparing a response for each one, an expression Twilight recognized from the mirror. “Nothing’s changed for the moment,” Twilight said. Scootaloo let out a small breath and unclenched her shoulders, but still studied Twilight with rapt attention. “Well for starters I found out how you were able to stay in Ponyville for so long.”

“Because I was careful,” Scootaloo said her eyes narrowing.

“And lucky,” Twilight gently corrected her. “And now I’m in charge of finding you a permanent home, I’d like it to be one that you approve of. What kind of place would you live?” It wasn’t a fair question, Twilight knew that. But it would hopefully lead to something Twilight could focus on tomorrow.

“I want to stay in Ponyville and umm,” Scootaloo’s voice trailed off. “I still don’t want Rainbow to know about any of this.”

“I remember. I don’t see any reason we have to tell her anything you don’t want to. Anything else?”

Scootaloo was silent for a few moments, turning her gaze to the ceiling. “I don’t know. I’ve never really thought about it, not seriously anyway. I guess it’d be nice not to have to worry about it being cold in the winter”

Twilight fought back an urge to hug the filly in front of her. To want a a home was one thing, but to just assume that one was out of reach so that basic shelter was the only requirement was a whole other level of heart wrenching. “Well don’t worry Scootaloo, if nothing else I can promise that. But it would be helpful if I knew where to start looking.”

“What does that mean?”

“Well, have you ever thought about having a brother or sister?”

“Kinda.”

It wasn’t a helpful answer but Twilight pressed onwards. “ Are there any ponies, other than Rainbow Dash, who you admire?”

“Not really, the rest of the Wonderbolts I guess.” Scootaloo said, now fiddling with the wrench in her right hoof.

“Well what do you think you might like to do when you grow up? Maybe I can find a pony who already works in that field.”

“I don’t know what you want me to say okay! I don’t know what I want. I didn’t...I didn’t hate my life before you found me. I mean sure it was a lot of hard work and it got cold sometimes, but it was mine. And I didn’t have to answer to anypony. And I didn’t have to worry what anypony thought. And sure it’d be nice to have a family, but I don’t. And I don’t think just putting me in somepony’s house and saying ‘this is your new family’, is going to make it true!” Scootaloo found herself breathing hard at the end of her diatribe.

I know it’s a lot Scootaloo. And you’re right, you can’t expect to instantly feel at home, no matter where you end up.” Twilight paused for a minute, considering how best to proceed. She reasoned that Scootaloo was still likely to be discombobulated, and so pressuring her further was only going to make her more upset. “You don’t have to say yes to anything. I just want you to know that I won’t do anything you don’t want. Okay?”

Scootaloo nodded and Twilight was forced to wonder if she just made a promise she couldn’t keep.

Author's Note:

Hey guess what? This story still lives.