• Published 25th Mar 2017
  • 423 Views, 0 Comments

The End is Always a Beginning in the End - Tom of Bedlam



Twilight deals with the death of her friends, the mistakes of her mentor and her fears of the future.

  • ...
 0
 423

Ruminations and Wisdom

Twilight wandered in a daze back to her room, the door opened to reveal a pile of purple scales, Spikes gangly and stretched faced emerged from the center. "At last, I was about to come find you" he unfolded and opened his arms to the Alicorn who wandered over and slumped down into a laying hug before the fire. Spike was warm to the touch and his youth soothed her, Spike stroked her mane and thrummed softly.

"I'm scared Spike..." She whispered "...all my old friends are gone and those that remain seem worn out and ancient, except you. Even Celestia is exhausted..."

Spike's head twitched about defensively "She was here? What happened?"

Twilight closed her eyes meditatively "I though she didn't have to rocks to turn up as Maud would say, but she did; blind drunk and naked. She was expecting a well deserved thrashing or a blazing argument. I guess neither of us knows each other as well as we like to think..."

Spike eagerly interrupted "Things went well between you?"

The young Alicorn sighed painfully "She admitted that she manipulated me into something that could condemn me to an eternity of suffering for her own ends and that she didn't expect to be forgiven for it, her lonely regrets were all the justice I needed and I pity her for her self imposed prison of duty to an idea that will never love her for her personal sacrifices."

Spike settled down "that sounds like it went well"

Twilight shook her head mournfully "It still leaves me hurtling towards eternity alone".

Spike pulled her face round to meet his gaze "Only if you lock yourself in a prison; The way I see it all my friends have families and there are new friends round every corner, you live long enough and everyone knows you, so how can you be lonely? As for your friends of the passed, their dead and aren't going anywhere no matter how long it takes you to catch up, just think of the stories you'll have to tell them when you meet again. Grief is impatience and we both have long waits ahead of us."

Twilight smiled "when did you get so wise and calm?"

The drake preened "Hey, I've been staring down the barrel of eternity for longer than you have, Ember says that Gor the Eternal was dragon Lord for almost three thousand years. At some point I decided it couldn't be helped and stopped worrying about it. I mean it hurt when Rarity died, I never stopped carrying a torch for her, but she encouraged me to move on and get myself together with Ember years ago."

Twilight sighed "...That was Pinkie's last request: 'stop hanging about with these dotty old dears all the time and go out and party'. I've tried Spike, I've made new friends but as the old ones died so has my enthusiasm for other people, why bother if I'll only lose them."

Spike raised a sardonic eyebrow "apart from to avoid growing into a cold, bitter China doll like Cel...Urp...speak of Tirek and he shall appear..." Spike exhaled a small green flame that solidified into a scroll. "...It's from Luna, apparently Celestia crashed into her watchtower a blubbering mess, she apologizes for her sister being a depressing drunk and will be dropping in to extend her condolences and have a chat tomorrow."

Twilight snuggled in closer to her foster brother "I'm sure she'll have a interesting perspective, no one understands true loneliness like Nightmare Moon." Spike placed a chiding claw on her nose "Well as the local expert on the fear of outliving people I've arranged for you to take part in the catch up apple-bucking tomorrow; I prescribe socialising with others, being open with your fears and having fun."
"I don't know that I can..." Twilight hid her face in his chest, Spike pulled a half smile "Well if you don't you may very well be visited by three ghosts, all of them a disgruntled Pinkie"

Twilight was drifting out "mmm...I would at that"