• Published 20th Jun 2017
  • 267 Views, 0 Comments

Day of Eclipse - Eclipse_Nightstar



A dimension-hopping warrior sees the climax of Friendship Games and throws himself into the fray.

  • ...
 0
 267

Chapter 4: Reunion

Chapter 4:
Reunion

Eclipse shifted the shoulder pads of his formal attire, it had been two days since he had returned to Ral-sai, the capital city of the Draconians, and the Equestrian representatives would be arriving any minute. Luckily, the healers were able to repair his wing a few hours prior. He had spent most of his spare time going over the terms of the treaty and researching cross-species blood bonds. He took a deep breath, collecting his composure as the Councilor rushed into the conference room.

“They have arrived, your highness.” The draconian gasped. “They wait you in the throne room.” Eclipse stood, waving the councilor forward.

“Lead the way.” he replied with a begrudging sigh, following closely. He let his thoughts wander as he walked down the walls. “Out of curiosity, chancellor, how many ambassadors are visiting?”

“Three, now my prince, mayhaps we can save our breath for our meeting.” the politician replied, grumbling over the lack of manners from his prince. Eclipse paused as they came to the door. He pulled himself back together, then walked through to the doors.

“Luna, I’m honored to welcome you and your friends to our capital.” he nodded, looking over her companions. A white unicorn with a dark blue mane and tail, and a Pink alicorn with light yellow, a darker shade of pink than her coat, and purple stripes in hers. “Pardon my manners, I am Eclipse Nightstar, I will be negotiating on behalf of my people.” He added, bowing slightly. Luna and her companions returned the gesture, Eclipse noting the small smile that Luna was giving him, I only need to keep these appearances for a while longer, gods this is tiring. Eclipse thought to himself. “May I ask who your friends are Luna.”

“Shining Armor, captain of the Royal Guard of Equestria.” the unicorn said bowing low. Eclipse waved him back to his feet.

“I welcome you captain, and I hope our cautious welcome does not affect our discussion today.” Eclipse said, looking to the alicorn.

“I’m Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, it is an honor to finally meet you. My Aunts speak very highly of you.” She said, nodding to Luna. Eclipse shook himself, sending a cascade of shimmering frost to the floor.

“It is a pleasure.” He said, nodding quietly “Now that pleasantries are out of the way, I ask that you follow me to the room that we’ve prepared.” he added, turning around and walking back to the room that he had been retrieved from. The sounds of hooves behind him affirmed that they had followed him. He took his seat in front of the single window in the room. “Make yourselves comfortable, You are guests here.” he said, waving his hand around the room. He turned to the chancellor and the guards. “You may leave us, I will not need the assistance or protection.” the other draconians looked at each other, then left with a bow. He closed the door behind him, and after a few moments, he took a deep breath, letting it out with a sigh. “Now that we have the formalities out of the way, I ask that we speak plainly. It tires me to continue like this.” he said, looking over his guests, who nodded slightly. “Alright then, let’s get the important things out of the way first.” He said, clapping his hands, as if they were covered in dust or some other offending material. He looked around the table, the two alicorns were giving him warm smiles. Eclipse held up three scrolls, procured from the stack of them sitting in the bookshelf to his right. He casually tossed one of the scrolls at Luna, who caught it in an aura of her magic. He repeated this with Cadenza, and then with Shining, each catching it with their magic. “I’ll do my best to answer any questions you have.” He said, earning a impish smile from Luna, who shifted her wing slightly. Eclipse smiled as he caught a glimpse of a hilt. “I’ll spar with you later.” he chuckled, returning her smile. Shining looked between them both, a worried expression on his face. Before the situation could escalate, Cadenza put down her scroll.

“Do you have any requirements for this... Sanctuary?” She asked, looking at the Draconian.

“Ah, well, I was hoping to be able to use our hunters to the full advantage, which means we’d need a place not to far from a town, but not within its borders.” He answered, rubbing the back of his head. “And, this is a bit embarrassing, but we don’t exactly have the materials necessary to fortify any sort of position we’d take. Stone,, wood those sorts of things.” He thought for a moment, then nodded. “I suppose a ruin would do for starters. But we’d still need raw materials to renovate or rebuild, depending on the state of it.” He paused, looking over his guests. “I don’t suppose that rings any bells.” He was answered with a few moments of silence. Shining produced another small scroll, unrolling it in front of Eclipse.

“You’d still be short materials, but there is an old castle in the Everfree Forest.” He nodded. Almost instantly, a rapier blade embedding itself in the table, skewering the paper in the process. Eclipse looked over to Luna, her horn glowing with magic.

“I suppose you would like to say something.” Eclipse said, grasping the hilt of the blade and pulling it out of the wood. He calmly tossed the weapon, catching the blade and holding it out hilt first towards Luna. “You’d think it would’ve been easier to just speak your mind.” He looked at the map again, “Wait, is that..” he said, squinting at the letters. “So it is! That explains that outburst.” he chuckled, looking over the torn paper. There, just under where the rapiers tip had cut through the paper, was a picture of a ruined castle. One he recognized as the one that he had visited when his father had taken him when they had gone to begin negotiations all those years ago. He gave an understanding nod. “I’m afraid, Shining, that I’m going to need a bit more than just your permission to settle those particular ruins.” He looked over the map again… then gave a sigh of exasperation. “Unfortunately, I do not see many other options that won't require leveling an area of forest, and that would take manpower we don’t have available.” Eclipse rubbed the back of his head, attempting to think of another option. Luna lifted her hoof to get his attention, he looked up, silently pleading she had a plan.

“I suppose the value I place on the old castle is mostly sentimental.” She relented, giving a coy smile. “I’ll allow it if my old student can beat me in combat.” she added, Eclipse shrugged and smiled.

“Alright, I suppose I should arrange for the dueling ring to be prepared.” He composed himself, once again placing a regal facade, and clapping his hands. A guard entered the room. “Private, go and tell the Keepers to prepare a ring for combat.” he waved his hand, the guard left. He returned a few moments later, two other draconians, covered head to toe in plates of armor behind him. “ Lead the way.” he nodded, taking the rear of the precession, the Ponies between him and the two Keepers. They came out into a small arena, a small wooden fence bordering it, and bits of armor littered the outside of it. Eclipse walked past the first gate, gripping the hilt of his sword. He turned around, bowing. “I have accepted the challenge of Luna, Princess of Equestria. It shall be to either one party yields or until first blood.” He announced, drawing his blade. Luna walked into the ring, flourishing her rapier into a ready position.

“Let the duel be watched by Chral’ kri, and may the best warrior be victorious.” one of the keepers shouted, raising a claymore into the air. Eclipse got into his stance, his blade kept close to his body. He twitched, feigning an opening. Luna took the opportunity, as he had hoped, launching her rapier at him. He spun his sword, blocking the thrust and taking a step forward, only to be pressed back by another strike from the edged rapier. Eclipse cursed to himself. At this rate, I won’t be able to get close enough to land a hit. Think, there’s got to be another way around this. He sidestepped a thrust, Luna’s weapon sailing a foot or two past him. He sprinted forwards, reaching out into the arena with his mind. As the rapier flipped around and flew at him again, he felt the magic around it shift, he spun under it, holding out his empty hand, an icy mist gathered under it, exploding into a second blade made out of ice. He parried a slash with it, the rapier stopping halfway through the conjured weapon. He closed the distance again, Luna attempted to dislodge her weapon, the rapier shaking furiously in its prison. Eclipse pressed his advantage, bringing his metal blade up to luna’s neck and throwing his frost blade aside in the same motion.

“Do you yield?” he asked, both hands on his sword’s hilt. Luna gave a small smile, and Eclipse felt the cold steel of her rapier against the back of his neck. He gave her a questioning look. “So is this a draw?” both combatants lowered their weapons Eclipse flourishing his blade as he did so. The Keepers looked at each other, then to the combatants. “Well, I didn’t win, so I suppose We’ll have to scout the forest and decide on a place to found the sanctuary.” Eclipse said, bowing to his old teacher. “ I’ll make preparations to leave for Equestria as soon as possible.”

The following week was, to Eclipse’s irritation, filled with meetings. Shining and Cadeza had returned to Equestria to arrange for things for the expedition. Eclipse’s moments of respite were either filled with reading what he could find on cross-species bonds or caring for the hatchling, whom he had decided to call her Stardust. At one point he actually had to re-read over a page when what he read didn’t seem right.

“Okay, I didn’t misread it.” He said to himself “Must be the protection link, Whatever was bothering Sunset, it certainly didn’t stay a threat very long.” he nodded, shaking the lingering feeling away. He continued reading, bouncing Stardust gently in his free arm.

“I was not aware you had taken a mate.” Luna said as she walked into the open room and noticing the child.

“No, she’s not mine, her father was a good friend of mine.” he replied quietly. Placing the book off to the side as the babe stirred in his arms. Luna gave him a raised eyebrow.

“Was?” she asked. Eclipse nodded.

“I’m afraid so, he died not a month ago.” he replied quietly, hanging his head. Luna nodded understandingly.

“You have my sympathies.” Luna said, Eclipse noticing the tears in her eyes.

“I didn’t mean to bring up any unhappy memories.” Eclipse looked down to the child in his arms and smiled. “I had hoped to find a more fitting family for her. She deserves better than me. I can’t compare to the man her father was. I could never stand next to him and say I am worthy to call my Captain my equal.” He felt his smile fade into a frown, he felt a tear start to slide down

“I merely sympathize, my old student.” Luna gave him a sideways glance, as if she was hiding something.

“Alright, what is it?” he asked, letting out a sigh. “It has something to do with you and your sister ceasing negotiation, doesn’t it.” Luna nodded quietly.

“I’m afraid it does, I let my jealousy twist my mind, and for my transgressions, Tia was forced to banish me to the moon for a thousand years.” She affirmed. Eclipse blinked, he couldn’t quite believe it, they had seemed to get along well enough during their visits.

“Okay, wow… that’s overdoing it a bit.” Eclipse blinked, his voice raising. He gave a slight sigh as Stardust started crying. Luna gave an amused chuckle as Eclipse rocked her, desperately trying to get the child to fall back asleep. She excused herself from the room, stopping just before the door, as if she had just remembered something.

“I cannot linger here any longer than I have, I told Tia that I would return a day before you are to arrive in Canterlot.” She said, hanging her head. Eclipse nodded, and she left. He looked back down at the child in his arms, who had just calmed down enough to stop crying. He gave a little chuckle.

“What am I going to do with you?”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment