• Published 4th Sep 2012
  • 14,177 Views, 1,197 Comments

Fur and Feathers - Nexas



The mane six's pets become ponies! What do they do now?

  • ...
21
 1,197
 14,177

Hoo and what

"Twilight's log; first entry." Twilight scribbled furiously into her notebook while reading aloud. "It is eight thirty in the morning; I had a healthy breakfast, Spike helped me clean the library, and I accidently transformed my pet owl into a pony, a Pegasus to be exact. Spike and I hastily assembled another book fort on the opposite side of the room to protect ourselves from the possibly destructive side affects of an owl-turned-pony."

"Uh, Twilight?" Spike butted into her monologue. "You do know that he just turned into a Pegasus right?"

"You don't know that, Spike. He could have some kind of laser eyes or something! He could turn you inside out with his mind!"

Twilight and Spike, both wearing helmets/kitchen pans procured from the kitchen, peered out of their mighty book fort at their friend who was still sitting in the same spot from before. He seemed content to sit there and curiously look around the room, occasionally glancing back at the two of them.

She continued. "We must be diligent and observe him."

He almost didn't want to ask. "And why do we need to do that?"

"Because at any moment something unexpected might happen and he could destroy us!"

"Excuse me?"

Twilight and Spike stopped talking and looked up. In the time that they had spent talking, Owlowiscious had rose to his hooves and had shakily marched across the room to the fort, and was looking in at the both of them, his yellow eyes shone with intelligence.

"I was wondering..." He spoke haltingly, like somepony who had never spoken a lauguage before but knew how. "...If I could speak to Twilight?"

They took one look at him and ducked back into the fort.

"He talks." Twilight stated, nearly surprised beyond words.

"Well that was certainly unexpected."

"This is the discovery of the century!" Twilight squealed, scribbling more and more notes in the small pad of paper. "I'll be famous!"

"Twilight?" The Pegasus called into the fort, trying to see the two. "We really need to talk-"

He was cut short as Twilight teleported next to him in a flash of magic, startling the owl-turned-Pegasus.

"Are you still Owlowiscious?" She asked rapidly. "What do you think of when you're an owl? Can you see colors? Do you get dizzy if you turn your head too fast?"

Owlowiscious stepped back from Twilight in surprise. "I...what...Twilight, please calm....ah!"

In his surprise, Owlowiscious had been stepping back from his frantic owner and had accidently tripped over his own hooves; falling to the hard wooden floor with a thump.

"Oh my!" Twilight gasped, now concerned. "I'm sorry! Are you okay?"

He looked up at her, his face showing no amusement. It was like that for a good minute or so before he laughed quietly, breaking the silence.

"I'm fine, Twilight please do not worry. I've seen what has happened when you worry."

Twilight laughed at that in spite of herself. Even though he had only started talking, Owlowiscious spoke in an intelligent, humble tone. Pretty good for somepony that was a bird earlier.

"I'm sorry," She apologized, offering him a hoof. "It's just that I didn't think this would happen."

Owlowiscious took it and stood up quicker than before. He seemed to be getting used to his hooves at this point. "What did you expect to happen when you try to go against the laws of nature?" He said dryly.

"Was that sarcasm?"

"Maybe," Owlowiscious said truthfully, clearing his throat. "I've never been sarcastic before, never had the vocal cords for it."

Spike had climbed out of the fort at this point and cautiously came up beside Twilight. "How did this happen anyway?"

"That's a very good question." Twilight and the Pegasus said as one. They paused and stared at one another, laughing it off.

"I suppose we both know already?" Owlowiscious hazarded a guess.

"I suppose so," Twilight giggled, "Why don't you explain? I would, but I've already done so much"

"Well..." He considered merrily, jokingly thinking about it for a moment. "If I must."

He walked over to the center table and inspected the many spell books. "The weather spell you used was twice as powerful as what you should have used."

Twilight smiled sheepishly, knowing that she had done something wrong. "I...wanted to be thorough."

"Everything you did was correct and the incantations were precise, but something slipped and you changed the very structure of the spell."

"Probably when she was struck by lightning." Spike mumbled under his breath.

Owlowiscious flipped a few pages before closing the books. "The spell is reversable, but only if you have enough power or can recite the incantation in reverse."

"No problem, I memorized the entire spell." Twilight proudly proclaimed.

Owlowiscious narrowed his yellow eyes at her, a single eyebrow raised questioningly. "Oh really? Even the part where one million volts of electricity were rushing through your cortex?"

"Oh..." The student exclaimed softly.

Spike sighed, slamming the palm of his hand to his face. "Well there goes that plan. Got any others?"

A light went off in Twilight's head, sparking an idea. "I got it!" She exclaimed, stamping her hooves in excitement. "The summer sun celebration; Princess Celestia will be there, and she can reverse the spell!"

She put a lavender hoof on the Pegasus's shoulder, giving him a reassuring look. "I'm sorry but you'll have to wait until the end of the day for the Princess to arrive."

He shrugged, using his wings for the expression. "Fair enough. At least nothing else has gone wrong."

At that moment, a small pony walked into the room. Well, crawled really. The ponies very quickly noticed the new presence and looked over at it. Everyone gasped.

On the ground, sitting in the doorway to the kitchen, was a baby Alicorn. The Alicorn had bright colored fur; a light orange coat and a yellow mane. Little wings and a stubby horn poked out from the fur.

"Spikey!" It babbled innocently.

Spike nearly choked on his tongue. "Peewee?!"

Owlowiscious groaned. "Oh dear."

Twilight shook her head. "Nothing else has gone wrong, huh?"

***

Outside of Ponyville sat the apple fields of Sweet Apple acres. It was before Twilight had cast the spell so the storm raged overhead. Lightning crashed down every so often on one of the trees, splitting it in two but never catching on fire, the rain took care of that. The apple family had gotten a message to bunker down until the storm was over, so all of them had gone inside the house to wait it out. All of them, except two.

Applejack the earth pony braced herself against the strong winds, bringing a hoof up to her head to keep her prized hat from flying away in the gale.

"Winona!" Applejack shouted to the trees. "Where are you?!"

Unfortunately, nothing replied. All noise was swallowed by the storm and howling winds. Applejack groaned angrily and continued through the trees.

"Come on out Winona. Big Mac an Applebloom are already in the house," she shouted, "We need to get in before the storm gets worse!"

A random bolt of lightning struck the tree above her; a smoking branch tumbled out and smashed into the ground beside the farmer.

She gulped. "If that's even possible."

Applejack searched through the trees for her loyal dog, eventually the sound of whimpering reached her ears and she followed the sound to a large apple tree. Her dog, Winona curled up at the base, shaking like a leaf.

"Winona..." Applejack spoke softly. She inched towards the frightened animal, every clap of thunder causing Winona to flinch.

"It's okay girl." Applejack said soothingly. "Ah know that you're terrified of the thunder. You should really stop running off like this."

The pony's kind words reached the dog's ears and Winona looked up at her questioningly. She seemed to calm down in Applejack's presence, but turned her head and looked off in another direction, ignoring the thunder, lightning, and Applejack.

"Winona? What's wrong girl?"

Winona ignored her owner and continued staring off in one direction. Applejack looked that way as well but saw only trees. All around them, the storm seemed to get worse; the rain was pounding on their heads and the flashes of lightning constantly lit up the dark sky.

"Come on Winona!" Applejack shouted above the rising storm and attempted to grab her dog. "We need to get to the house before the storm takes us out!"

Winona didn't listen, or rather, she couldn't. The storm was reaching its peak, the clouds above them getting bigger and darker. Despite what Applejack thought before, the storm seemed to actually be getting worse, almost as if it was building up.

And that's when she saw it. Winona had sensed it before it has showed up but now it was visible to her as well. A wall of magic energy pushing the storm clouds in her direction. The wall passed through the apple trees, tearing bark and leaves off them as it went. Applejack quickly figured out that she and Winona would be caught in the chaos.

"Winona!" Applejack shouted. She jumped forward and wrapped her arms around the dog, shielding her from the wall of magic that soon overtook them.

It was all a blur as the force slammed into Applejack, sending the pony and her little dog too through the air. The world seemed to turn upside down for Applejack, but that was probably because the world was upside down for her.

Unfortunately the force of the magic blew the earth pony and her dog into one of the many apple trees, crashing into the hard bark with a crunch and knocking Applejack out cold.

The magic passed and an unconscious Applejack fell to the field floor, slumping over in the dirt and completely oblivious to the also unconscious canine that was beginning to glow and morph.