• Published 7th Jul 2012
  • 7,373 Views, 379 Comments

An Early Reunion - RainbowDoubleDash



After twenty years of being trapped in the sun, Celestia is returning! Or is she?

  • ...
17
 379
 7,373

9. Abandonment

The filly alicorn reached Luna, and began to nuzzle her leg. This shocked Luna from catatonia; she backed away as though stung by a bee, though bee stings were not normally something she even noticed. The filly let out a cry of fright at Luna’s sudden motion, nearly tumbling over once again, but her extended wings, small though they were, helped her keep balance. However, she also didn’t try to run away, and kept her large, round eyes focused on Luna.

Luna’s own narrowed slightly. This could still be a trick – was probably still a trick. “I am Luna, I am the Night,” she proclaimed, keeping her voice at normal volumes this time, and somehow unable to put true force behind her words. “I am the Shepherd of the Moon, the Tamer of the Stars, and the Sovereign of the Ceaseless Dark. Thou shalt identify thyself.”

The filly was walking forward again, heedless of Luna’s words. Her legs trembled with each step, and her head was bowed as she watched her own hooves working closely – so closely that she didn’t realize she had reached Luna again until she bumped into her and started to tumble. Her fall was broken, however, as Luna reached down with her head and neck instinctively, stopping the filly’s fall as an earth pony mother might with her own foal.

Within a moment, the small alicorn had her legs under her again, but she didn’t move her head from Luna’s own, instead rubbing her head against Luna’s own, eliciting a gasp from Luna. And that was when it struck her a second time, that this filly alicorn was her daughter – that this was not a trick, not some dark creature in disguise, just a foal seeking the comforting touch of her mother. Luna lowered herself onto her barrel, and the filly copied the motion, letting out a sigh as she gave her still new legs and hooves a break. She was still staring at Luna, mostly into Luna’s eyes, but occasionally the filly’s eyes would wander to take in Luna’s wings, her horn, her hooves.

A growling stomach – the filly’s – interrupted the moment. The filly let out a slight whimper at that, but stood up, walking towards Luna, probably looking to suckle – apparently the filly was unaware of the nature of its own “birth,” such as it was; in any event, Luna’s body was completely unable to provide the filly the nourishment she was seeking. That did not mean, however, that Luna herself was unable. Stopping the filly’s walk with one wing – eliciting another whimper from the hungry filly as she did – Luna’s horn glowed a deep blue. The filly’s eyes went wide at the sight, mystified, even more so when Luna created a waterskin from nothingness, a waterskin that was swiftly filled to capacity by magically-created, but no less nutritious, milk. Luna telekinetically waved the waterskin’s nozzle underneath the filly’s muzzle, and once she caught the scent of the waterskin’s contents the filly grasped it tightly in her hooves, then began to drink, settling down next to Luna as she did, pressing against Luna’s barrel. If she was disappointed that her mother was unable to teat-feed her, she didn’t show it, in fact showed the precise opposite when she lay her head against Luna’s side, nestling under her wing.

Before too long, the filly had drunk her fill. Luna nuzzled her after banishing the waterskin and its contents back to the ether, running her muzzle along the filly’s back until she burped. The filly, herself, seemed content to simply lie against her mother, having apparently decided that walking around was too much effort for too little reward.

“Was I ever as small as thee?” Luna asked softly, chuckling slightly as she did. Her daughter stared back at her, her eyes drifting closed, then snapping open, before slowly drifting closed again, as she fought a losing battle against sleep. Luna chuckled once more, nuzzling her daughter, an action that came surprisingly easily. Luna was hardly a virgin – she doubted anypony, anything, could live as long as she had and retain its chastity – but she had never before been a mother, yet she seemed to be taking to it easily enough.

Except one thing, and her eyes widened as she remembered. “A name!” she exclaimed softly, closing her eyes in contemplation as she cast her memory backwards. She may have never been a mother, and to her knowledge, neither had Celestia, but that did not mean that the subject had never come up between the two sisters. At times the two spoke of grave matters, matters upon which the world turned, matters of life and death, order and chaos, good and evil. At other times, they had talked about deep and meaningful things – the meaning of life, the nature of love, the responsibility of an alicorn towards lesser beings.

And, on occasion, they had spoken of nothing of importance at all. How would the ponies’ perception of their rulers have changed if they had ever caught the two discussing their opinions on this mare’s or that stallion’s finely-toned body? Arguing over whether white or red wine was better? Or even something as innocuous as what they would name their foals, if they ever had the time to bear them, or the courage to change their lives so?

Luna couldn’t remember where or when she’d had the conversation with Celestia, other than ‘somewhere’ and ‘a very long time ago.’ But she did remember the conversation itself, and the name she’d want to call a daughter.

“Cadence,” she said softly into the filly’s ear. By now, she had fallen asleep. “Thou shalt be Cadence, little one…”

This changed everything. This filly changed everything in Luna’s life. She had shirked her responsibilities for too long in Canterlot – nearly a year, hardly caring at all for the chaos that must have ensued with Celestia having been banished into the sun and Luna unable to muster the will to continue her regnal duties. She wondered what the political situation in Canterlot was. She didn’t know, but now she had to. She would need to go home, to raise Cadence and…

…and, like a beam of pure moonlight illuminating a path, Luna saw where that would lead. She saw a room, a room full of the finest silks and the softest pillows, with hoof-crafted toys for a foal, for Cadence. She saw Cadence in that room playing there, alone but for servants ordered to wait upon her mouth and hoof. Occasionally Cadence would look up to the door, but she would not see what she was looking for, not see Luna. She would have everything the daughter of a Princess deserved to have – everything but her own mother.

Luna blinked. No. That would not happen. She – she would make time.

Like she had made time for her sister?

Luna stifled a gasp of pain at that. Even now, it hurt, what she had done – what she had been forced to do – how she had been unable, unwilling, to see what had been happening to Celestia. To see the madness in her eyes until it was too late. To pay close attention to the decrees of the Day Court.

Of course it hurt even now. It had only been a year. Compared to how old Luna was, never mind her yet-older sister, what was a year? It was barely a moment. The pain was still fresh, still there…the sudden, unexpected arrival of the foal, of Cadence, had made her forget, truly forget, what she had been forced to do for the good of the world. Banish her own sister into the sun…forever. Even Luna could not undo the magic wrought by the Elements of Harmony.

And for the briefest of moments, Luna looked down at Cadence, now sleeping, in disgust for what the foal had done. For making her forget her own sister. Uncounted millennia simply forgotten, forgotten over what? An accident of their fight? This foal was nothing more than debris, fallout, and yet she had dared to rob Luna of her grief?

It was only for an instant, and in the next instant, Luna found herself nuzzling Cadence again in shock at her own action, needing to feel the foal’s coat and mane, needing to realize where her thoughts had just turned. The only thing Cadence had done was be born, not a natural birth, to be sure, but certainly no crime. She only wanted to be fed and to be close to the pony who she believed to be – who was¸ by any rational examination of the situation – her mother.

Luna closed her eyes. She could not return to Canterlot with Cadence. She could not be both Princess of Equestria and mother of a foal at the same time – but then, that was an easy choice while Cadence was snuggled under her wing, sleeping softly, but nevertheless still instinctively leaning in to her mother’s nuzzling. How could Luna choose anything but the foal?

It would be easy enough to hide, to raise Cadence on her own. She had moved mountains and boiled seas. She had no delusions about the difficulty of being a mother, but she also was completely confident in her ability to rise up to the challenge. Cadence would grow into a fine young mare…

…in a world with Equestria falling apart around her, with the three pony tribes reverting back to the old ways. Once more, Luna saw the possibilities take shape. With Celestia banished, with Luna disappeared, Equestria would crumble, fall apart into petty fiefdoms and weak city-states. Already that was beginning to happen while Luna grieved, and that was with her still visible, still making her presence known on at least some level to forestall arguments over succession – a matter that neither Celestia nor Luna had ever even considered before, as immortal beings had little need to concern themselves about what might happen after they died.

But if Luna disappeared utterly? Equestria, the dream, the union of the three tribes of ponies, would collapse, and its successor states would exist only to be preyed upon by dragons, by griffins, by whatever foul creatures looked at ponies and saw prey.

“No…” Luna breathed, eyes wide as she stared at sleeping Cadence. There was no true choice at all: Equestria had to come first. Luna – she would make every effort to dote upon Cadence. To spend as much time as she could on her, to actually be a part of raising her daughter…raising her in a world of intrigue and corruption. Raise her in a palace surrounded by false masks and political agendas. How old would Cadence be when she survived her first assassination attempt? Would she have even earned her cutie mark before her first attempted kidnapping? Would her teenage years be marked by increasing interest in stallions or mares and an increasing boredom with nobles trying to court her to gain wealth and power and a direct connection to Luna? And what effect would all this have on her?

To Luna, she would be a daughter. To Canterlot? One more political tool, one more weapon to wield against one’s enemies, one more obstacle to overcome by any means necessary. Luna could try to re-organize the government, but it wouldn’t work. It didn’t matter if the governance of Equestria was a monarchy, a republic, an anarchic commune or a rigid tyranny. There would always be ponies more interested in power than in morals.

And then there was immortality to consider…immortality had never bothered Luna. Ponies died and she did not, and that was simply how things worked. She had witnessed friends and, yes, even lovers grow old and wither and pass on, and she had grieved for each one, truly grieved, and she truly missed them all – but then she had moved on from each one, too. Her heart had been wounded, but eventually she had recovered from the wounds, and even the emotional scars faded with distance from the pain. Time truly did heal all wounds.

But Luna was old. Luna remembered observing the first ponies. She had had millennia to simply move amongst them in secret or to watch from afar, to grow accustomed to her own immortality compared to the fleeting lives of ponies. Cadence would not have that luxury. Cadence would grow up around mortals, make mortal friends, take mortal lovers, and watch them as they, one by one, passed beyond the pale – and she remained. In that scenario, under those conditions, Luna could easily see how one could prefer a fleeting life to an eternity of eternities.

Luna felt wetness in her eyes as she stared at sleeping Cadence. She inhaled sharply, biting back her tears, not wanting her daughter to awaken and see her mother crying. Luna could run away with Cadence, and doom Equestria. Or Luna could take Cadence to Canterlot, where she would be a target, where she would watch as everyone she knew withered and died around her, where it was easy to imagine her growing to hate her mother, or at least hold her in contept. And in either case, Luna would be a horrible mother. Most horrible of all, though, was the fact that Luna immediately came up with a third option – the most terrible of all for her, for at least in the previous choices, Luna got to keep Cadence.

But Cadence deserved better than what Luna could give her. If Luna wanted to make any claim of being a good mother, then the third option was the only one she could take.

---

The journey to Cavallia took a week for Luna to fly. She could have reached it even sooner had she flown at her full speed, but even though she was an alicorn, she doubted that Cadence could bear travelling at supersonic speeds. She also could have reached it even sooner had she not delayed every wing beat, stopped at every large cloud bank or interesting-looking grassy field or lakeside, and allowed Cadence to slide from her back and run around.

Cadence trotted and galloped easily now, of course, though she tired quickly. She seemed to enjoy racing Luna, never mind that a casual trot from the alicorn could beat Cadence’s full gallop. Luna let her win nine times in ten regardless, and when she did not, it was only because she would race ahead and then turn around, waiting for Cadence with wings spread wide and hooves outstretched, and when the foal reached her she would scoop her up and nuzzle her closely.

Cadence’s laugh was the most beautiful sound that Luna had ever heard.

Luna tried to remember what she knew of growing foals. While Cadence was able to run and play, her mind was still developing. She was not yet capable of any kind of speech, instead simply babbling incoherently. She wasn’t even capable of calling Luna ‘mama’ yet – though that, Luna resolved, was probably for the best, given what Luna had to do.

Cavallia was a nation of rolling hills and idyllic valleys to Equestria’s southeast. It bordered Equestria to the north and west, a generally peaceable kingdom called Zaldia to the northeast, and the wide expanses of the Southern Sea to its south. The kingdom had not known war or strife in four centuries, due to being a close ally to Equestria, the mightiest nation on the continent but for the Griffin Empire, and they were located far to the north, and currently dealing with their own internal squabbles besides. Luna was loathe to admit it, but in many ways, Cavallia was a superior nation to Equestria.

Perfect for raising a foal in.

Luna flew deep into the countryside, magic surrounding her to keep ponies from noticing her passage. Cadence lay on her back, asleep, blissfully unaware of what her mother was going to do. What she had to do, to give Cadence the life she deserved.

Luna found her goal soon enough: a vineyard. Cavallian vitners lead the simple, honest lives of a farmer, but their wine, being in high demand across the continent, meant that they could also live lives of relative comfort. Luna spotted the owners of the vineyard from the sky, an earth pony mare and stallion, looking like they had several fillies and colts of their own already – one more would hardly be unwelcome. Her horn glowing, she further used magic to look past their mere physical forms, and into their souls. She found nothing that offended her. Another spell, to read the minds of the ponies below her, found them decent folk, possessed of no hidden agendas or psychoses.

It was not enough. What Luna wanted to do was land amongst them and question them, interrogate them, make them swear ancient oaths to look after and care for her daughter with their lives. But if she did that, she would never be satisfied, and by the time she had finished Cadence would have been a mare in her own right.

Luna landed in an isolated part of the vineyard, using telekinesis to take Cadence from her back and set her onto the ground. This woke up the foal, but she took being disturbed happily enough, trotting up to her mother and nuzzling her closely. Luna returned it eagerly, pulling the filly close to her chest.

“I’m sorry…” she breathed into the filly’s ear, repeating the apology over and over again, though Cadence did not understand a word of it. After several long minutes of holding her daughter close to her, she moved her away, looking Cadence over for a few minutes before closing her eyes, and setting her horn to work. Cadence was once more wrapped in a midnight-blue glow. After a moment, the glow intensified.

Luna’s magic reached up around her daughter’s nub of a horn, incapable of channeling magic of its own yet. Grimacing, Luna willed her magic to flow across the horn like water across a sand castle. It gradually, gently disappeared, Cadence not even noticing it leaving her. Next, Luna moved to Cadence’s wings. These Cadence did notice, and she let out a cry of fright and shock, though the process was not physically painful. Luna nearly stopped there, nearly undid what she had done, but images of the alternate lives Cadence could lead entered her mind, and she forced herself to continue.

If Cadence understood that her own mother had robbed her of her potential for magic and flight, she didn’t show it. Instead, the filly rushed to Luna, hiding beneath her far larger form, not understanding that the changes to her body were being done by Luna herself. The princess ran a hoof across Cadence’s barrel and through her mane, trying to comfort her even as she worked harder. She reached into Cadence now, touching the very core of her being and working as powerful magic as she ever had over the filly. It wasn’t enough to take Cadence’s wings and horn – the disguise, the change, would have to be greater than that. It was not enough for her to look like an earth pony – she had to be an earth pony.

The spell was complicated, but not difficult, not for Luna. In a few moments, Cadence’s very basic nature had been changed, and she was an earth pony – strong, tough, grounded, in-touch with the land…

…and mortal.

Luna’s magic faded. She felt like she had just murdered Cadence, as surely as if she had conjured a blade of steel and plunged it into the filly’s heart. Cadence still pressed close to Luna, trembling, not understanding what had been done to her. “I-it’s f-f-for the b-best,” Luna explained to her daughter, her voice trembling uncontrollably, tears streaming from her eyes. Cadence didn’t understand that, either. She only understood that her mother was here, and she was warm, and that she would protect the filly. In some ways, she wasn’t incorrect.

Luna scooped up Cadence again, holding the filly close to her. For several long minutes she considered never putting Cadence back down, never following through with her mad plan. Even now, it was well within Luna’s ability to restore Cadence, to return to Equestria, to Canterlot. She could try to give Cadence the foalhood she deserved. She should try.

But she would fail, as surely as she had failed her own sister. Luna knew this. Her horn glowed again, once more touching Cadence, this time putting the filly into a deep, peaceful slumber before laying her on the ground, then closing her eyes and reaching out with magic, to the vitners, instilling within them a compulsion to come forward, to this part of the vineyard. She didn’t have to wait long. Within just a few minutes, the two earth ponies had arrived, neither understanding nor questioning their sudden desire. They didn’t notice Luna, for she still had the same perception-altering spell wrapped around her form, but they did see Cadence. The mare of the pair quickly came up to the filly, inspecting her, while the stallion looked around, rearing back onto his hind legs to see if he could find Cadence’s parents, but found nothing.

Luna waited, listening as the vitners spoke to each other. They spoke Cavallian, but language was no barrier for the Princess of the Night. The two ponies swiftly decided to take Cadence back to their house, where the mare would look after her, while her husband went into the nearby village to see if anypony was missing a foal. The stallion gingerly hefted the filly’s sleeping foal with all the care of an experienced father, laying her atop the mare’s back before the two left for their home.

“And what if we cannot find her parents?” The mare asked, as Luna listened closely, the distance they were putting between themselves and where they had found Cadence hardly an impediment to the alicorns’ senses. “Should…should we keep her?”

The stallion was quiet before answering his wife with “we’ll deal with that if we have to.” However, Luna was inside his mind. The answer he gave was not the first one that he had thought of – that had been “of course we will.”

“What shall we call her?” the stallion asked his wife.

Luna reacted before she could, planting the suggestion in the mind of the mare, a compulsion so strong that she could not help but name the foal “Cadence.” Luna had taken so much from the filly – her wings, her horn, her immortality, even her true mother. She could at least leave her with her original name.

Luna lingered for several more minutes, magically observing as the stallion and mare reached their home, showed Cadence to their own colts and fillies. All of the younger ponies acted with concern, and curiosity. The youngest asked if the vineyard was where all foals came from. In any other circumstance, Luna might have laughed at her naivety. As it stood, it was as though it were the signal for her to leave. She took to the skies once more, heading north towards Equestria, and unlike her slow flight into Cavallia, this time she moved as fast as she could, flying as though Discord himself were chasing her. As fast as she flew, however, she could not outrun the knife embedded in her own heart, nor the twin waterfalls that flowed from her eyes.

She managed to cross the border into Equestria, and made it as far north as the province of Palomino before the pain in her chest, the image of Cadence that would not leave her mind, finally became too much to bear. She had to purge all thought from her being before they consumed her and made her do something foolish – something like fly back to Cavallia and take Cadence into her hooves and lay waste to the vitners for daring take her daughter from her. And there was only one way she knew of to do that.

Luna landed in the center of a town she did not bother to recall the name of hard enough to rattle the ground itself and kick up a mighty cloud of dust from its dirt streets. “I AM YOUR PRINCESS AND I DEMAND SUCCOR!” Luna ordered as she stumbled from the dust cloud. Ponies had scattered at her arrival, some pouring from the local tavern, but as Luna approached – head bowed, staring straight ahead like a predator locked onto its prey – they fell back in, away from their princess.

“WINE!” Luna shouted. “MEAD! ALE! SOMETHING! ANYTHING! BRING IT NOW OR SUFFER THE WRATH OF THE PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT!”