• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 6,483 Views, 255 Comments

Grounder - JustAnotherEarthPony



Another 'Human turned pony in Equestria' story...where cliches are shoved to the side, lampshaded and abused while our protagonist tries to come to grips with the 'real' Equestria.

  • ...
26
 255
 6,483

Chapter Eight: Time

Time. The ever going stream. A branching tree, with infinite possibilities, allowing for true beauty in a world full of decisions.

It’s also a huge pain in the ass.

Why did you fail the test? Ran out of study time. Why did you fail to meet your goals? Didn’t dedicate enough time to them. Why does your life suck? Because your time is limited, so every moment you don’t enjoy is a waste.

Time is always in demand, regardless of what you’re doing. It goes forward and hardly ever goes back, even in magic pony land.

And as I would realize a week into my term in Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, time can be as fickle as destiny, and three times as much of a bitch.


A bell rings.

I managed to make it back from the library in time for our first Rune Magic class, but I’m too slow to beat most of my classmates in. So, I had to avoid the stares whenever I walked anywhere on the school grounds.

The rumor had spread rapidly during the first day. And while I had tried to ignore it, by Wednesday I’m pretty sure the entire school knew that an earth pony was attending CSGU. From what little I heard, apparently some parents had complained to the school, but had been told that since I passed the school entrance exam fairly, the teachers couldn’t really kick me out unless I misbehaved or did horribly in class.

I found that response quite funny until I learned that one of the parents had actually withdrawn their foal because I might ‘influence them’ or ‘contaminate their magic’ somehow. And while none of the other parents followed the crazy mare, I don’t think many of them approved of the school’s decision to keep me around.

This disapproval was expressed quite clearly by their foals.

It’s not like any of them started hitting me or anything -this is Equestria after all. But whenever I walked down the halls, they tended to move out of the way, either staring at me coldly or just pretending I didn’t exist. Some of the meaner ones started calling me some unoriginal names and the local bullies would usually try and throw paper wads or even spit at me in rare cases during class.

Ah, yes. The local bullies… Following their leader, Prince Blueblood.

I should’ve expected it, really. Where else would Blueblood have developed his prejudice against ‘commoners’ but the super-exclusive unicorn only school?

I’d seen a couple of stories in which Blueblood redeemed himself and ended up not being as spoiled and pretentious as he was in the Grand Galloping Gala. But sadly, this didn’t seem to be one of them. For example, upon delivering our first math homework assignment, he was called to the front.

“Mr. Blueblood, what is this?” the teacher had said, holding up a small note with a scrawl of what looked like really bad handwriting.

“My homework assignment, Professor.” He somehow managed to make the profession as a whole sound like an insult.

“This has none of your work done in it!” She exclaimed, having apparently resisted Blueblood’s persuasion roll. “It just says that you ‘did the work perfectly’ without showing any proof of it!”

“But teacher, my parents wrote that! You dare doubt the word of royalty!?” He seemed to be getting mad at not getting his way. As I’d learn later, this was his usual response to frustration.

“I shall report this to the principal when class is over. She will issue out a proper punishment,” The mare said, her eyes narrowed to the small prince. For a brief moment I wondered who the principal was, then decided that it probably wasn’t too important.

“Yes ma’am.” Wow, twice in a row! He had a true talent for twisting the spirit of cordiality.

Later, I would learn from the rumor mill that he had to publicly and formally apologize to the teacher for his inappropriate attitude and promise it wouldn’t happen again. When I heard that, I thought the principal must be a softie when it came to punishments. But in hindsight, having to apologize probably hurt Blueblood more than any physical punishment would have.

Finally, I managed to find a seat at the right corner of the classroom, opposite to Blueblood’s corner. As usual no one sat next to me, but at least I wouldn’t be distracted from our Rune Magic class. Whoever made our schedules didn’t think second years should learn much about runes apparently, since we only had the class for two hours at the very end of Friday’s schedule. In other words, every colt was already making their weekend plan and just waiting for the class to end.

Not that I could afford that.

As I had predicted when I looked at my schedule, I was struggling to keep my grades up. It was the first week and I’d already failed the first Spell Progression homework, which had been all about learning the switching spell to swap a simple wooden box on the teacher's desk with an apple that was sitting on my desk. I did manage to impress the teacher by making the apple ‘disappear’. But since I didn’t properly switch it with the box, I only got half the points. Still, those small victories were what I needed to ensure I passed the year.

Sometimes, I thought about why the teachers didn’t offer me alternative, non-magical homework. I suspected that it had something to do with the parental complaints at my enrollment into the school. In fact for the most part, every teacher simply pretended that their entire class were unicorns and completely ignored me unless I had my hoof raised to answer a question. And with the exception of History and Math, all of them had looked at me skeptically while I did it.

During my ruminations on the unfairness of being pony Ruby Bridges, the runes teacher arrived. He was a bespeckled stallion with what I thought was a nordic rune for a cutie mark and a very Flitwick-esque excitement at giving class. Because Equestria needed more Harry Potter comparisons.

“Welcome --fillies and gentlecolts-- to Rune Magic. My name is Written Scroll, but you may refer to me as Professor Rune. I’d like to begin today with a brief recap on the history of runes…” By this point, most of the class was drifting off. That was because as far as I could tell from my week of studying in CSGU, the average unicorn colt was only slightly more attentive than the average kid in the human world.

Eventually, the teacher finished the long and boring history of how runes were made and got to the interesting part: the applications.

“... Which brings us to today. Now, do any of you know the most common uses for runes in our times?”

I saw a couple of hoofs rise up from my spot on the back of the classroom and the teacher picked one of them.

“Runes are used for enchanting, professor.”

“Aha! That is a common misconception. Yes, runes are utilized during the enchanting process, but not directly. The truth is that spells are utilized while enchanting objects, but runes such as Naudiz or Ehwaz are utilized to ensure the spell remains on the object after it is enchanted. Sadly during this process, the effect of the spells are either greatly reduced or simply impossible for the rune to tie to the object. This is why only weak spells are found in enchanted objects and what removes most of their utility.”

Finally! After six days of searching in the school’s expansive library, I had an answer to how my teleportation trick actually worked! (And also why it cost so much…)

“Now class, I’d like to introduce you to your new alphabet!” As he proclaimed that horrifying statement, his horn lit up and I could see the board light up as twenty-four symbols, each representing a Nordic rune, appeared next to their basic meaning.

“Yes indeed, this is your first assignment! I want all of you to learn how to draw each of these symbols and their specific meaning. This is incredibly important for our later work… But first, a small demonstration.” He went over to his desk and pulled out a scroll, held in his magic.

“This is a basic rune scroll.” He paused, opening the scroll and showing the class the blank middle of the scroll surrounded by a circle of symbols. “In it, anypony can practice drawing runes and utilizing their effects without hurting anypony else. This is very important!”

He turned to the board and wrote down in big, underlined letters:

NEVER DRAW A RUNE OUTSIDE A RUNIC CIRCLE!
NEVER EXPERIMENT WITH RUNES!

“... Until you’re finished with your studies and have a degree anyways.” He paused and then placed the scroll on one of my classmate’s desk. “Please pay attention; I will be drawing a rune known as Kauno. It means torch, fire and enlightenment. However, despite it’s very positive meaning, it can be used for destruction and pain just the same. Observe.”

The teacher then wrote down the rune on the middle of the scroll.

Nothing seemed to happen.

Almost immediately, Blueblood began jeering.

“Oh what a joke! Watch out for the dangers of the fire ru-”

He was cut off by a tunnel of fire suddenly erupting from the scroll, roaring upwards like a pillar made entirely of flames. At the same time, the runic circle activated, sending up a wall of pale blue light around the column of fire and locking it in so that it wouldn't spread.

Gasps and startled cries sounded around the room, and more than one jaw had to be scraped off the ground.

“Mr. Blueblood, the reason that the rune did not activate immediately was because I had to charge it with magic after drawing it. Otherwise, it would have had no effect.” He seemed annoyed at Blueblood’s outburst. Perhaps the teachers had warned each other about his disrespectful attitude?

This was also the moment I realized that I wasn’t going to do well on this course.

Well, as long as I get to see Blueblood make an ass out of himself, I suppose it won’t be that bad.


A bell rings.

Class was over. The week was done! I could finally take a much-needed bre-

“Wait wait, class! Stop!” Professor Rune gasped out. “I had forgotten! The principal has informed us teachers that today there will be a special beginning of term speech welcoming all new students to the school. I know you are second years, but the entire school will be there! Anyone found missing will receive a detention!”

He said that last part sternly, as if he knew from years of dealing with foals that without the threat of punishment, most of them wouldn’t go. Smart stallion, that one.

A couple minutes later, the entire second year class was seated at the second closest row to the base of the amphitheater with the upper years behind us and the first years in front and below. It was quite a nice place, all in all. The bright stage lights hitting the wooden platform, the beautiful marble walls and comfortable seats, Princess Celestia walking in and standing behind the podium…

wait what

“Hello, my little ponies. Welcome to Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns! As most of you know, I am Princess Celestia. But while on school grounds, I’d prefer you called me Principal Celestia…” she said this with a calm, practiced smile of reassurance. She seemed to be mostly directing her speech towards the first year students who were no doubt awed in her presence.

Just like I was.

She was tall for one, as in more than twice as tall as every single pony until the sixth years, who were around ten years old. Beyond her height, her not-quite-white coat and ethereal rainbow mane made her impossible to miss. But, the most overwhelming aspect of her physique were her eyes. The old saying about ‘the window to the soul’ was in full effect here. Celestia’s magenta-colored eyes were full of compassion and love for her little ponies, but behind that was a razor-sharp intelligence and the weight of knowledge gained from an eternal life.

She was both the most amazing and most terrifying being I’d ever met.

I was so stunned that I missed the entirety of her speech and only snapped out of it when everypony started stamping their hooves in a show of applause. I hurried to do the same, hoping I wouldn’t stand out. I was not ready to gain the attention of the nation’s ruler just yet.

“Thank you. Now before you leave, I’d like all of you to meet somepony very special. She requested that I give her a few words in the opening ceremony, and I was glad to agree. She is my personal student so I hope you can all become good friends in the future.”

wait
why does Twilight want a few words?
this is her first week…

But, it wasn’t Twilight who walked onto the stage. A light amber filly, probably two or three years older than myself, stepped up to the podium. Her wavy mane was very similar to a yellow and red fire, flickers of both colors were visible all across her mane in equal proportions. From my seat at the left of the platform, I could see her cutie mark resembled a sun flare, with one yellow side and the other being red.

It started with a few innocent questions.

who is this?
why haven’t I ever heard of this pony?

“Hello everypony, my name is Sunset Shimmer…”

Then more important questions.

why does Celestia have another personal student?
why haven’t I heard of other protégées before?

“You have all passed your tests to enter the best magic school in our kingdom, where the most powerful unicorns are taught…”

Then the realization hits like a thunderstrike.

Twilight Sparkle isn’t Celestia’s personal student.
The timeline has already been changed.

“I encourage all of you to seek to fully develop your potential and not to waste any of your time with… unimportant matters.”

Followed by panic.

The butterfly effect…

I’ve already ruined everything.

Author's Note:

I'm finally done with college finals, so I should get a little more time to write this story!

As always, any reviews, comments and suggestions are appreciated. :twilightsmile: