• Published 13th Mar 2017
  • 8,235 Views, 208 Comments

Inoculation - Tumbleweed



"Every normal pony must be tempted, at times, to spit on her hooves, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.”

  • ...
9
 208
 8,235

Chapter 3

“I've got it figured out.” Twilight Sparkle dumped a load of books onto the round table in the center of her Imposing Doom Fortress (formerly Magical Friendship Castle). It'd taken her longer than she had planned to find the proper reference materials after Spike's villainous reorganization of her library, but such things were just the price of wickedness. “So, while it looked like we were doing good when we saved Ponyville from the cra-- from the otyugh, we were really just defending our conquest, so that means we're still bad guys.”

“Whew!” Pinkie Pie took off her domino mask and wiped the nervous sweat from her face. “I'd hate to think I used artificially flavored frosting for nothing!”

“But. Um. Does that mean we can stop being evil, then?” Fluttershy said.

“I don't think so, no.” Twilight shook her head. “I've still got some more nefarious plans I'd like to implement.”

“So do I!” Spike popped up from behind Twilight's chair, holding his cape up just below his fake moustache. “Behold, the fruits of evil!” With that, he tossed a handful of cloth scraps into the air, like monochrome confetti. The scraps floated down to land on the table, and the lettering on the tags could finally be seen.

DO NOT REMOVE BY PENALTY OF LAW

“I've already hit every mattress in the castle-- soon, I'll cut the tags off every mattress in all of ponyville! MWA HA HA HA!” Spike twirled his mustache with one hand, and snipped at the air with a pair of scissors in the other.

“Good job! I'm very proud of you.” Twilight beamed.

“Spike.” The corner of Rarity's eye began to twitch. “Are those my good fabric shears?”

“Uh.” Spike's eyes went wide. “Evil awaits! Bye!” He dropped the scissors on the table, turned literal tail, and took off running. Rarity glared after him, but didn't pursue. Instead, she busied herself with picking up the scissors and examining the blades for any dulling or damage.

Rainbow Dash facehooved. “I can't believe a baby dragon is better at being evil than we are.”

“He does have a slightly different perspective on this than we do, I guess.” Twilight rubbed at her chin.

“Of course he's got a different perspective! He's short!” Rainbow said.

“Not that-- I meant the fact that he's a dragon. There's still a lot of propaganda that stems from the centuries-old feud between the Chromatic and Metallic Dragons. It's ludicrous to assume that Spike's evil due to being a purple dragon, but rather, it's not unlikely that he's subconsciously internalized some of the stereotypes that he's read about over the years. Remind me to talk to him about that when this is all over.”

“And just when will that be?” Fluttershy said.

“I'm not sure yet. I'd at least like to unveil at least one evil plan.” Twilight opened up a book and began paging through it. “And I think I've got just the thing … “

“Oh! Oh! Oh!” Rainbow Dash leaned forward. “Are you gonna use dark magic to summon some big demon to blow up the world or something?”

“I could do that.” Twilight didn't look up from her reading. “But I'm trying to be evil, not stupid. Heralding the way for an Elder One is honestly too time and resource intensive, not to mention counterproductive. I'd much rather conquer the world instead of feeding it to some ravenous hunger from beyond our comprehension of space-time.”

“So what is your plan?”

“I'm going to open a new wing of the Ponyville Hospital.”

“Ooooh. I get it!” Pinkie Pie shivered in fear and also maybe anticipation. “You're going to give everypony better medical care so that way they live longer so that way they have more time to suffer from the inherent meaninglessness of existence! That's totally evil!”

Pinkie Pie blinked her guileless blue eyes at the other four ponies at the table as they stared at her.

“What? I've been reading Neightszche. That's what bad guys do, right?”

“That's a little more … philosophical than what I had planned.” Twilight sat back in her chair. “I was just thinking we'd name it the 'Princess Twilight Sparkle Intensive Care Unit,' as a testament to my evil vanity. Or something. There's enough money for it in the 'discretionary spending' budget of the Mayor's office-- well, technically my office now, by right of conquest, but still. I'm pretty sure Mayor Mare just used this money for campaigning and direct-mailers and stuff, but if I misuse the funds for something else, I figure that's pretty evil. Not like there's anyone to stop me, anyway.”

“Aha!” Rarity pointed her scissors at Twilight, quick enough to make the princess flinch. “That's it!”

“You think taking advantage of poorly worded budget legislation is evil too?”

“No, not that.” Rarity set her shears back down on the table, and everyone let out a breath. Uncaring, Rarity continued. “The reason we haven't been effective villains is because we don't have any opposition! We're nothing more than a quintet of fabulously dressed hooligans without anyone to properly oppose us. What we need, ladies, is a hero.”

“You may have a point there.” Twilight said. “But it's not like we can put out an ad in the classifieds. 'Wanted: One Hero of Destiny. Magic Swords not provided.'” The corner of her lip turned up a little. “Or, I guess we could, but I doubt we'd get the caliber of hero necessary for our purposes.”

“Oh! Oh! I know! I know!” Pinkie Pie waved a hoof in the air. “Why don't we just kidnap somepony? That's how it works in the fairy tales! The bad guys are always kidnapping Princesses and locking them in towers and stuff! And then a hero comes and lets them out!”

“We've already got a Princess.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Oh, right.” Pinkie screwed her face up in intense thought. “Then … what if we kidnap a Prince? Rarity sure scared Prince Blueblood back at the Grand Galloping Gala that one time-- it should be easy to catch him!”

“NO.” Rarity snapped-- and then cleared her throat, playing off the sudden outburst. “I mean, ah, that's … a compelling idea, but we wouldn't want to get ahead of ourselves. Blueblood's in Canterlot, a place we decidedly haven't conquered.”

“Yet.” Twilight said, absentmindedly.

Rarity arched a brow. “Beg pardon?”

“Oh, just planning ahead, that's all.” Twilight waved a hoof. “It's good to set your goals high, you know? But as is, we'd need to secure the geode mines of the Crystal Empire to ensure the materials needed to make the ether-batteries needed to feasibly mount a proper siege on Canterlot. Of course, if I were in Cadance's horseshoes, I'd probably find a way to backwards-engineer Sombra's dark magic to take the Crystal Empire out of phase with the primary timeline before letting that happen.” Twilight took a map of Equestria out of her pile of research materials and unfolded it over the table. She traced lines and borders with a hoof, lost in strategic thought. “And even if she didn't, we'd need to establish steady supply lines so we wouldn't freeze and starve in the winter like Gnollpoleon's army did. We'd probably have to annex every bit of arable land in the immediate area to make it work, including--”

“Sweet Apple Acres!” Rarity said, with no small degree of enthusiasm.

“Very good, Rarity.” Twilight smiled, teacherly. “The orchard is the cornerstone of local agriculture.”

“Not to mention it's run by one of the most stubborn ponies I know!” Rarity sighed, dreamily. “If we start menacing Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack's sure to pay attention to me!” She blinked, and hastily added on. “Us. I meant us. Because we're evil now. Yes.”

Twilight didn't look up from the map. “Whatever you say, Rarity. But we're going to have to be careful-- we don't want to damage the orchards, and we're going to need the Apple family's cooperation to make sure they're operating at peak efficiency.”

“Darling.” Rarity steepled her hooves in front of her chin. “Just leave it all to me.”


Applejack groaned as she walked into the kitchen. Honestly earned mud and sweat spattered her coat, and all four of her legs ached. She tossed her hat onto a hook by the door, and made a beeline for the refrigerator. She reached all the way to the back of the fridge, pulled out an earthenware jug, and uncorked it with her teeth. The cool, sweet cider didn't make Applejack's pains vanish, but it at least made them feel worthwhile.

Applejack chugged down an unladylike swig of cider, gave an even more unladylike belch, and put the jug back in its proper place. It wasn't until she closed the refrigerator door that she noticed the wax-sealed envelope stuck to the front (with an apple-shaped magnet, naturally).

Curious, Applejack pulled the letter off the fridge, and after a bit of fiddling (as well as the careful application of a paring knife) opened it.


My Dearest Applejack,

We have kidnapped your family. If you ever wish to see them again, you must come to Twilight's Magical Friendship Castle Imposing Doom Fortress and surrender yourself, as well as Sweet Apple Acres. You have until sunrise to make your decision. Choose wisely.


R.

P.S. If you would, wear something nice.


“Huh.” Applejack glanced around the empty kitchen. “Thought it was quiet.” She bit the inside of her cheek, and re-read the letter, just to make sure her eyes weren't playing tricks on her after a long day's work. Sure enough, the words remained the same, even if they didn't make any more sense on a second reading.

Applejack got the cider out of the fridge again.