• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 239 Views, 5 Comments

For Princess and Country - Nocturn Dreamwrite



Forester, a pony who served in the Great Changeling War, now lives secluded in Equestria's White Tail Woods. All the while he deals with post war trauma, and his story is revealed as he decides to return to the world of ponies.

  • ...
 5
 239

Epilogue

For Princess and Country

By Nocturn Dreamwrite

Epilogue


The Battle of Dodge City ended in Equestrian victory. It is in fact known as the turning point of the Great Changeling War. Two days later, Lieutenant Forester led the honor guard that buried Sergeant Kepler among the rest of the fallen with full EPU honors. It was the single most difficult task he ever had to do. A week later he was called to Canterlot where, with several other officers, he and, posthumously, Sergeant Kepler were awarded the Royal Golden Medal of Honor by Princess Celestia herself. When Princess Celestia presented him with the two medals she said to him, “I’m truly sorry for the loss of your brother. I truly am.” He wanted to thank her, but he couldn’t find the words, so he simply saluted.

The war continued for another two years, ending in the spring of the fifth year of fighting. After Dodge City, Equestria won battle after battle in which Forester fought with a vengeance alongside his fellow soldiers. The War came to an end when the Equestrian forces pushed the changelings out of Equestria’s boarders, over the Macintosh Hills and into the forest beyond. General Corn Pipe had wanted to continue the pursuit, but despite his arguments to finish the job, Princess Celestia ordered him to withdraw his troops. It was enough, and that was the end of it. Every soldier who survived the war was presented the silver medal of victory by General Corn Pipe who went down in Equestrian history as a great hero.

After the war however, Forester felt worse than ever before. The war, the terror, the loss of Kepler, it had all been too much for him. At the end of his fifth and final year of enlistment, he was offered a promotion to Captain, if he reenlisted, but he refused it. Instead he simply walked away from it all. He needed some time alone, away from that world, and eventually found himself in White Tail Woods. The rest, as they say, is history.

_______________________________________________________________________


The following morning, after a quick breakfast, Forester took a moment to look through his notebook, reviewing everything he had learned one more time: trees, flowers, shrubs and bushes, deer, birds, small animals, seasonal effects, natural herbs, deer magic, etc. Yes, everything was here, notes, drawings, and all. He then packed it along with his few belongings in his saddle bag which he belted around his barrel. He attached his saber to his belt, on his left side, and finally placed his tin derby on his head. All Odo needed to bring was a wooden bottle that held some of the magic herbal water of the deer, in case he ever needed it.

Forester and Odo, then said their good-byes to all their friends as the walked through the woods one more time. Odo said good-bye to his mother and father, and the he and Forester paid their respects to the Grand Duchess Glorianna, ruler of the White Tail Woods whom had allowed Forester to stay with the herd and study their magic. They then made their way to the forest’s edge and looked back. Behind them, they could see some of their friends who had followed them to see them off, with them were Odo’s parents. Forester looked to see a small tear form in Odo’s eye and he put his wing over Odo’s back to comfort him, only to find that he was beginning to tear up himself. These woods had been their livelihood and their home. Five years ago, Forester first came to this forest to live and to learn, and now he was leaving with his best friend beside him. Forester and Odo then turned back toward the forest’s edge. Just beyond was the pony world of Equestria, and a new life.

Forester sighed and took a deep breath.

“Are you ready?” asked Odo.

Forester nodded and said, “Yes, I am.”

And with that, Forester took a step outside the White Tail Woods, with Odo right behind him. He took another step, and then another, and another.

Forester and Odo journeyed all that day, and slept that night in a field beneath an elm tree. The next day they finally came across a dirt road, their first sign of civilization, and began to follow it. On the way they saw a signpost which read that they were headed toward Canterlot, but they would reach Ponyville, and Canterbray first.

They arrived in Canterbray late that afternoon. Canterbray was a small town, and for Forester, that was good. He wanted to slowly get used to living and being around ponies again before entering a big city like Canterlot, the capital of Equestria. Admittedly though, Forester didn’t really have a plan. Simply that they would integrate among other ponies and then, as he told Odo, get involved in something so that they could have a sense of belonging. Odo, on the other hoof, was amazed by everything and everypony he saw. To him, this was a whole new world that he was seeing for the very first time.

There was a local inn that also served as a tavern, and Forester decided it would be an ideal place to rest, and perhaps try to mingle, though Forester’s nervousness was starting to build within him.

“Well,” said Forester as they entered, “Here goes nothing.”

As they entered, Forester and Odo received a few odd looks, obviously because it wasn’t every day that they saw a strange pony walk in with a deer. They sat down at a table in a corner, and began to observe what all was happening. One of the first things Forester noticed was the fact that ponies were using bits to pay for their food and drink, something that he didn’t have any quantity of, since you don’t need bits in the woods, but then something else got a hold of his attention. On the other side of the room there were two mares sitting at a table. Both appeared to be earth ponies. One was green, with a black mane and tail, and a gray cloak draped over her back. The other was light brown with a red mane and tail. Her mane she had braided around her head and she was wearing a smart black and white dress, but what had really gotten Forester’s attention was her silvery shoes. Forester found them so intriguing that he found it hard to look away, try as he might, and he had a good reason too.

“What’s up?” asked Odo.

“You see those two mares over there?” asked Forester, “You see the one with the silvery shoes?”

“Yeah,” answered Odo, “What about them?”

“Well,” said Forester, “The time I saw shoes like that, they were on the hooves of a princess.”

“Wow, really?” said Odo, “You think she might be a princess?”

“I don’t know,” replied Forester, “But last I heard, there was only one princess in Equestria, unless that’s something that’s changed while I’ve been away.”

“Well, why you don’t you go over and ask her?” asked Odo.

“Nah, they look busy, better not,” replied Forester nervously. “Besides I’m getting thirsty. I hope they don’t charge for water here. Give me a moment while I ask a waiter.”

Forester called over a waiter and asked him whether or not they charged for water. He was relived to learn that they didn’t, but he didn’t realize till too late that Odo had left his seat was walking over to talk to the two mares.

Odo walked casually over to where the two mares were sitting and asked the one wearing the smart black and white dress and the silvery shoes, “Hi. Pardon me, but are you a princess?”

Author's Note:

And thus, an new adventure begins!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment