• Published 9th Mar 2017
  • 4,297 Views, 103 Comments

The Guardians of... High School!? - MetalJrock



The Guardians of the Galaxy make an accidental detour to another world filled with magic. Which for some reason is at a high school.

  • ...
7
 103
 4,297

Under the Stars

"So, AJ. This the best you got?" Rocket asked, holding the sleeping bag in his arms. "I'd rather a bed than freaking hay in a freaking... Whatever this is."

Applejack nodded, "Yep. Granny Smith's orders. Really no position to argue with her, Rocket."

Applejack was giving the galactic team a rundown of her farm, the actual barn chosen as the place to stay, as there were not enough rooms for all five of them to stay in each of the girls' houses. "Cause it looks to me, that we're bein' put back in the brig," his eyes turned to a horse and pointed a finger at it accusingly, as though he caught something, "And you already got a few prisoners."

Peter sighed, "Rocket... Those... You know what? I'm just gonna leave this alone." he waved his arms, a thing smile growing on his face as he pondered whether or not to explain, but choosing to drop things. "Cause this is gonna blow his mind."

Chuckling at Quill's comment, Applejack moved some things around and spoke up. "Granny Smith would prefer ya and Groot to stay here fer... 'sanitary purposes' she says. Her words not mine. If it were up to me, you'd fit right in the house."

Rocket growled, "Oh great. Separated yet again."

"It's not like that, Rocket." Gamora commented with a low grunt. "Until we find a better spot to stay, we should be grateful for her hospitality. Otherwise we'd be begging on the streets of this place."

"No Milano, no fun..." mumbled Quill. He looked outside, "Speaking of, we should probably look for that if it ended up here with us. Last thing I want is for someone to hijack a spaceship, especially since it looks like nobody would know how to us it properly. Had the thing just painted too." he commented to himself.

Rocket pointed a thumb at himself, "Ya mean, I painted it."

Peter shrugged, "Whatever. Point is, it just got painted and I'd hate to see it messed up."

"Glad we can agree on something..." the raccoon alien grumbled and yawned while lying down in the hay, using it as a temporary pillow. At this point, Groot had fallen asleep as well, his tiny body drooping in the pot that Rocket had made for him. The others were not sure if he was snoring, but they recognized that he was tired.

Gamora rolled her eyes, "About time you two did."

Drax folded his arms, "Perhaps it'd be wise if we were like our wooden friend and rest as well? I need to be ready in case of anytning trying to attack us."

Peter put a hand on his friend's shoulder, "You guys do that. I'll be up in a minute."

Applejack raised a brow, "What're you gonna do, Quill?"

Strapped to Peter's pants was his orange walkman, connected to it were headphones, which were placed firmly on his neck. "About time I did a little nostalgia trip."

"How would even trip on nostalgia?" Drax replied.

"Ya have one of those? Didn't think somethin' that old would still work." commented the farmgirl with a light chuckle, "I'm sure Twi would get a kick seein' that thing." she waved a hand, "No offense, Peter." she apologized.

Quill shrugged, "None taken. Haven't been to Earth in years so I'm a little... Out of touch as it is. Heh" he stepped outside, "If you need me, I'll be on the top of the barn."

"Sure thing." Applejack replied.


Quill sat down on the top of the barn, and held his walkman in his hand. His small headphones were place firmly on his ears and he could hear thr music he'd always cherished. The tape that was playing in it had a marker label on it, 'Awesome Mix: Vol. 1'. He'd been listening to it for the past two and a half decades and probably won't stop for as long as he had the old thing, which he'd never let go of.

Peter let out a quiet sigh, he knew the entire tape backwards and forwards, yet he couldn't help himself. He lied down on his back, his eyes looking at the night sky. This reminded him of his childhood, sitting outside with his mother, looking at the stars.

"Hey, Peter."

Star-Lord turned his head, removing his headphones for a moment upon hearing his name getting called. He spotted a certain fiery-haired girl climbing up to meet him. "Sunset? The heck are you doing here? I thought, uh, school was tomorrow or something." he paused, "Ah well. Procrastination was always my thing. So, what's up?" he wondered to his new friend.

Sunset sat down next to Quill, "Well, I came to ask Applejack for something real quick involving a little get-together this weekend. Saw the rest of your team except you, and Gamora mentioned you were up here for some reason. You alright?"

"Yeah, definitely." Quill replied, looking back to the stars. "Since this is the first time I've been on Earth, or at least a place close to it, in years, I thought I'd take a small trip down memory lane, y'know? I've been travelling through space for so long, it's just nice to lay back and look at the stars. Being here kinda reminds me of home."

Sunset blinked, "I didn't think you could be... this sentimental, Quill."

"Eh. It comes with age." joked Peter. "I have very good reason." his eyes softened as he gazed upon his walkman again, his smile becoming a thin frown.

"What's that?" asked Sunset, genuinely curious.

Quill held up the device, "This? It's a walkman, it plays these things called cassete tapes. Apparently your world's moved on from that, according to Applejack. I still don't understand how you can listen to music without using a tape but whatever." he lowered the object and strapped it back to his belt for convenience.

"Why not get something like this?" suggested Sunset Shimmer, handing him her phone to look at.

"Woah! What is this? They don't have this on Xandar Prime!" Quill wondered excitedly, flicking the screen. "No buttons? This is some serious next level stuff. And music, books too? Games? I can play Pac-Man anywhere now!" his eyes widened, "TV shows? Aw yeah, He-Man marathon here I come!"

He gave the phone back to the girl. "Pretty cool stuff you have there." he admitted

Sunset placed her phone back in her pocket, "If you want, we can try to get you one."

Star-Lord waved a hand, as he looked back to his old walkman, "Nah. All I need is my Awesome Mix. Thanks for the offer, though." he shrugged off, not wanting to lose his greatest memento.

Chuckling, Sunset repeated the name of the tape, "Awesome Mix? Sounds like something Rainbow would make up."

"I was a kid, and was really into music. Heck, I still am. You can't blame me for an awesomely named tape." Quill laughed off, "Plus, this thing means a lot to me, both the player and cassettes. So, I'd rather not replace it unless I really need to. And I seriously hope that day never comes."

Raising a brow, Sunset asked curiously, "I can't argue with that. Any particular reason why? I'm not judging you, of course." she wondered, adding the last statement quickly,

"..." Peter was silent. He really didn't want to being the mood down, so he decided to adbridge his story, "It's a piece of my childhood on Earth. The only thing I had with me when I went to space." it was a half-lie, but no one else needed to know that at the moment. He knew that it should be enough of an explanation.

It was, judging by Sunset's expression which softened, "I see. Truthfully, I have something like that as well. A book from my fromer mentor and one of my newest friends. The only connection I have back to my home, and I admit I get a little homesick now and again too. So I don't blame you, Peter.

"It was a nice gesture, though." Quill assured, noticing the girl now looking upset, "Know what always gets my mood up? The Awesome Mix. Maybe I should see if I can get you some of these songs, all upbeat and fun, straight vintage from the 1980's and not... whatever this year is. How long was I gone for?"

Sunset giggled and held out her phone, "Sure. Just list the songs and I'll see if I can find them and put them on a playlist."

Star-Lord nodded, "Sure thing. Let's see..."


Yondu and Kraglin stepped out of the Vintage Electronics store, the rest of the Ravagers waiting outside. "We found some things, boys." the leader of the group revealed, handing some of them some old CDs and tapes. "Told ya I was still a Ravager at heart." he admitted, hoping to keep his team's loyalty together.

"Finally." Taserface cackled, "Let's find those rodents and that stupid stone."

Yondu smiled, putting his hands in his pockets, "Ya'll go on ahead. I just wanna grab one last thing." he ordered. The Ravagers nodded and all walked ahead, leaving Yondu and Kraglin alone.

"Did you find it, sir?" Kraglin wondered.

Taking his hand out of his pocket, Yondu revealed a small device and held it up a little, "Thought the boy could use somethin' when the time came. It's like a... Zune or somethin'. That's what that stupid guide said. Looked nice enough, I suppose. Now, c'mon, we gotta find the boy and his small crew and get the stone."

Kraglin agreed, "Sure thing, Yondu. Think they'd hand it over peacefully?"

"Knowin' Quill. No." chuckled Yondu. "Just like I taught 'em."