• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 2,700 Views, 34 Comments

The Worst of Mentions - BlazzingInferno



Spike just wanted a quiet picnic for two. The citizens of Ponyville have other ideas. Fortunately, Rarity is there to help. Mostly.

  • ...
4
 34
 2,700

A Carnival Affair

The fairground’s bare earth undid Rarity’s hooficure long before she even found Spike. Locating him would have been much easier if she hadn’t felt the need to keep checking her pocket watch, both to verify that it wasn’t twelve yet, and to surreptitiously check her eyeliner in the watch’s polished crystal. Perhaps the gown she’d chosen was a bit much, what with it being designed for the elegance of an opulent ballroom as opposed to the dusty, sweaty mess of an outdoor carnival. Her plan for cheering herself up with fabulous clothing was having the opposite effect; the noonday heat and fairground dust were seeping right through her happy, self-confident façade. As soon as this deplorable betting business was over, she’d lock herself in her shop for the rest of the month. Her friends could visit her, so long as they brought conciliatory ice cream, and perhaps some groceries.

Spike’s gasp gave away his position in the crowd: leaning against a fence by the ticket booth. His mouth hung open while Rarity trotted over. “Ye… You… Dress…”

Rarity gave her apparel a quick glance for signs of dust or worse. Her entire ensemble, from the gold lacing around the hem to the white trim encircling her neck, sparkled in the sunlight. “Do you like it, Spike? It’s from my upcoming spring line, a little something dazzling to disprove that… that… notion that I’m without talent or—”

“You’re gorgeous!” Spike blurted.

A smile broke through her downcast gaze, but only for a moment. “That’s… nice of you to say. Let’s get in position behind the stage curtains; we only have ten minutes until noon.”

“Y-yeah, yeah. Yeah! After that’s over, we've got the whole afternoon at the carnival!”

“Spike, this is no time for fun! I fully intend to go home after the bet is settled and wait for Pinkie and Rainbow to deliver our… winnings, which I’ve told them in no uncertain terms must include a list of every pony that dared placed a bet on our personal affairs.”

He slumped forward. “Aww, but we’re already here, together even! I guess I didn’t ask you to come very romantically, but—”

“Romance has absolutely nothing to do with it. This isn’t about you and I, this is about everypony else taking far too much of an interest in the activities of… you and I.”

“What? But… but I-I even got my claws manicured!”

Rarity’s eyebrows rose as she noted the sun glinting off his polished hands. “Very impressive, and quite suave, Spikey!”

Spike rubbed his polished his claws on his chest and regarded them with a smile. “Thanks. I figured I should start making more of an effort, since I’m Ponyville’s number one bachelor… for another ten minutes anyway.”

“Ugh, please don’t let that notion go to your head! If I was interested in arrogance, I really would be courting a certain ‘prince’ that isn’t worth dignifying with a name.”

“Sorry! It’s just been kind of fun thinking about it… I figured that’s how you feel all the time.”

Rarity frowned through a small blush. “I’ll have you know I never ever considered myself the most beautiful pony in town, but certainly one of the… but let’s not dwell on such things. The sooner this betting affair is behind us, the better.”

Spike kicked his foot against the ground, stirring up dust. “Some date this turned out to be.”

“There will be other chances, Spikey.”

“Really?”

She winked at him. “Our picnic yesterday did start out fabulously, I believe.”

“Then how about we… I mean… If it’s okay with you, we could…” His blush took over, and he looked away.

Sweetie Belle’s joyful, high-pitched scream pierced eardrums for miles around.

Rarity cringed; she could feel the sound in her molars. She spotted her sister through a gap in the crowd, standing a mere five paces away at the foot of what looked like a metal merry-go-round perched at a forty five degree angle. Ponies young and old were stumbling their way off of the contraption, some of them looking quite ill, but none so much as the green-faced Scootaloo staggering towards Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. “Good heavens, Scootaloo. Are you all right?”

Apple Bloom rushed forward and offered her friend a supportive hoof. “I can’t believe ya’ survived ten rounds on the tilt-a-whril without hurlin’, Scoots!”

Scootaloo’s eyes rolled from side to side, as if they were still on the ride. “Yeah… I… I gotta lie down.”

Sweetie Belle bounced up and down, not unlike Pinkie Pie. “I told you she could do it! You owe me five double-oat milkshakes, Apple Bloom!”

“Hey, we bet three milkshakes!”

Scootaloo shut her eyes tight. “Please… don’t mention food.”

Rarity produced a handkerchief and dabbed Scootaloo’s forehead. “Sweetie Belle, please tell me you’re not actually placing bets! That insufferable habit has no rightful place in the mind of a lady, or any pony at all!”

“Aww, Rarity. Why do you have to be big a stick in the mud? It’s just some milkshakes between friends. Half the time, Pinkie gives us cupcakes to go with them for free.”

Scootaloo grimaced. “N-not food!”

Spike backed away. “Uh… Sweetie Belle?”

Sweetie Belle didn’t seem to notice. “Plus, it’s not like Scootaloo isn’t used to doing this stuff. Yesterday, she and Rainbow Dash did twenty loop-the-loops in a row! I got sick just watching them spin around and around and a—”

Nature took its swift, splattering course. Rarity screamed and all-but leaped into Spike’s arms as Scootaloo retched her semi-digested breakfast and lunch all over the ground, her friends, and the spot where Rarity had just been standing.

A wave of groans and revulsion swept through the crowd, which quickly moved away from the pegasus-turned-firehose.

Rarity backed away as fast as her ensemble would let her. “Not on the dress! Not on the dress!”

Spike held on his arms in front of her, turning himself into an undersized shield that thankfully proved unnecessary. Within seconds they were far away from ground zero, and completely unscathed.

“Well then!” Rarity huffed, “I believe that's more than enough near-disaster for one day. Come, Spikey.”

He glanced back at the tilt-a-whirl before hurrying after her. “Maybe you're right about just going home. I'd hate for something to happen to your dress, especially right before we—”

“This is a statement, not a show of affection, or a show at all for that matter.”

“Aww, but… can't we just—”

She turned on him. “I want what we have to mean something, Spike, and the surest way to ruin that in my mind is to tarnish our first anything with this getting-back-at-Ponyville business. When the clock strikes the hour, I intend to make a withering statement to the crowd, take you by the arm, and make a fashionable exit.”

Spike gave a long, deep sigh. “I guess you're right. Let's just go and… what is that?”

She followed his gaze toward their path, and to the bright red line tracing its way across the dirt toward them. Was it some sort of magic?

The red line stopped just as a shadow appeared overhead. Spike gasped and pushed Rarity to the side. “Ditzy, watch out!”

Rarity looked up just as Ditzy paused mid-flight, a carrot-dog on one forehoof and a mis-aimed bottle of ketchup on the other.

Ditzy stared down at them and quickly focused on Rarity’s dress. “Wow, that dress is amazing! I-I didn't drip on you, did I?”

Spike held up two claws an inch apart. “This close, Ditzy! This close!”

“Gosh, I’m sorry… You two aren't heading to the stage, are you?”

Rarity lowered her eyebrows. “Why do you ask?”

“There's this really big mud puddle right next to it, from the dunking booth. Be extra-careful, okay?”

Rarity’s glare dissolved into a smile. “Why, thank you for the warning, darling. It's such a relief to know there are ponies out there with noble intentions.”

“No problem! So when's that dress going on sale? I might be inheriting some money at twelve fifteen today.”

Rarity's glare surged back, and her attempted response came out as a series of growls.

Spike grimaced and stepped away from her. “Uh… twelve fifteen? What’s so special about twelve fifteen?”

“That's when my great grandpa’s will is being read. Weird timing, huh? I barely had time to grab lunch.”

Rarity coughed repeatedly and fanned herself. “Oh… I-I’m sorry for your loss, dear. Do come by the shop soon, won't you? I'll fit any gown of your choosing at a generous discount.”

“Oh wow, thanks Rarity!” Ditzy threw her hooves in the air, her carrot dog and ketchup bottle temporarily forgotten.

Rarity screamed and backed away, while Spike simply held up his hands. “I’ve got it! I’ve got it!”

The carrot dog fell into his hands, perfectly intact. The plastic bottle wasn't as lucky. Ketchup splattered everywhere as the bottle struck his forehead and burst open.

Ditzy gasped. “I'm so sorry, Spike! Want me to get you a towel or something?”

Spike groaned and held up the carrot dog. “I think you dropped this.”

She swooped down and gingerly took back her lunch. “Thanks. I-I’d better get going. Sorry again!”

Rarity ran back, stopping at the edge of the ketchup blast radius. “Spikey-Wikey, speak to me!”

“I’m okay… I just need a shower… or Twilight and a couple baskets of hay fries.”

“Indeed, but in light of our having only minutes to spare, we’ll have to make do with this.”

She lifted him out of the ketchup puddle and went to work with her handkerchief, followed by her spare handkerchief.

“It’s okay, I can just lick it all—”

“For the sake of my own stomach, don’t finish that sentence.”

Cleaning off the ketchup went by quickly, what with her mind being preoccupied with how she’d acted just a moment ago. She could’ve easily caught the ketchup bottle herself, had she been focused on something other than preserving her own cleanliness. Worse still was what she’d been prepared to scream at kindhearted Ditzy, based on the mere assumption of her placing a bet. Had her opinion of her fellow ponies really sunk that low, that they were somehow worth less than her apparel? Her dress felt more sweaty and uncomfortable than ever.

Spike, now ketchup-free, resumed walking towards the stage, and Rarity followed. “Okay… we can do this. We’ll get up on the stage, and then we can get out of here before anything else messy happens.”

Rarity stared at her hooves. “Spikey… thank you for giving Ditzy the benefit of the doubt when I couldn’t. I’m becoming far too harsh.”

“Ditzy is almost as nice as Fluttershy. There’s no way she’d do something that she knew was going to hurt somepony.”

“And I doubt she’s alone in that sentiment. Surely most of the townsponies didn’t mean us harm when they placed their bets.”

“Does that mean we don’t have to chew them all out?”

“Certainly not as strongly as I originally planned. Perhaps we can simply let them know that their actions were hurtful, and leave it at that.”

Spike wiped his forehead. “That’s a relief. I know you don’t want to stay at the carnival, but… what if we did something else instead?”

She raised an eyebrow. “Oh? What did you have in mind?”

“Well… I-I was kind of wondering if—”

Applejack across their path, trailing a rope that quickly went taut. “C’mon, ya’ pesky pig!”

Rarity followed the rope from Applejack’s clenched teeth to a sizable pig trying and failing to reach the mud by the stage. “Excuse us for not helping, Applejack. We’re in a bit of a hurry.”

Applejack waved them off. “Sure thing. Just gotta get my prize-winning pig to the livestock competition, mud free. Nice dress, Rares. You mistake this place for a fancy dress ball or somethin’?”

Rarity made a small curtsey. “I’m merely dressing how any confident fashionista would, given the chance. Shall we, Spikey?”

Spike pointed at the sun overhead. “We’d better hurry; it’s almost noon!”

Rarity trotted her way around Applejack with Spike following behind her. The bet would be settled soon enough, and all without the blistering speech she’d intended to give. A simple “Spike and I are an item” would suffice. Leaving would be the best part of all; he’d wrap his soft, manicured hand around her foreleg, and they’d make an exit worthy of bridleway.

“Got ya’ now, Betsy!” Applejack shouted.

Rarity turned back just in time to see Applejack take five quick steps backward, two more steps than Spike had left her room for.

Spike gasped moments before Applejack’s back leg landed on his chest. “AJ, watch ou—oof!”

Disaster, as always, happened in slow motion: Applejack fell backwards over Spike, tangling his foot in the rope just before she lost her grip on it.

Rarity lunged forward and wrapped her hooves around Spike. “No! No more near-disasters! We’re getting on that stage, and we’re doing it n—”

Betsy the pig said otherwise.

All Rarity could do was hold on. No force of hoof or magic held them in place now. For a moment, with her eyes shut, she could almost picture that stunning view of Ponyville from their picnic, back when she’d thought so much better of its inhabitants, back when her only worry was Spike asking her out on a proper date.

The sounds of shouting and rushing air vanished with a loud, wet splat. She didn’t need to open her eyes to know where they were, especially not with a contented pig rolling around in the muck a few inches away.

Applejack thundered her way to the edge of the mud pit. “Aww, Betsy! Look what you’ve gone and done to Rarity and Spike… Ugh. C’mon, ya’ll, let’s get you out of there…”

Rarity didn’t need help, nor did she want it. One mud-covered step at a time, she stomped past friends and onlookers alike, climbed the backstage steps, and disappeared through a door. Alone at last, she fell to the floor and wept. She’d been crying already, but now there wasn’t any point in trying to keep the tears in. Her ensemble finally matched her feelings.

Spike stumbled through the door a minute later. “Rarity, wait! I’ve got a towel!”

“For what? Just look at me!” She gestured to the mud-soaked remains of her dress and her disheveled mane. “I’m a disaster, Spike! I’m everything those awful rumors make me out to be: ugly, pathetic, prissy… What’s the point of going on with anything at all when I look and feel exactly how the worst of ponies see me?”

She stared at him, as if to dare him to find a suitable answer.

He stood there, squeezing the towel between his claws. “Because… because…”

“There’s no more to say, Spike. Just leave me be… Let Ponyville have its precious bet. Let some unscrupulous pony make a small fortune off of us someday… unless of course some genuinely pretty mare catches your eye before then…”

Spike stood up straight, threw down the towel, and marched over to her with a directness and determination that made him into a giant. Before she could object, or even ask what he was doing, his arms were around her, and she was leaning back in an embrace that surpassed every notion of romance she’d ever had. “You’re always beautiful to me, Rarity.”

For one perfect moment, just as their lips met, it didn’t matter that she was covered in mud and on the cusp of losing the bet. Ponyville and the rest of Equestria were far away, and her troubles temporarily forgotten. What did the opinions of a few ponies around town amount to, in the grand scheme? They were no more qualified to assess her beauty and worth than Spike or anypony else, only she herself could do that, and in this moment she felt as radiant and glorious as the sun itself.

She needn't shine alone, of course, and who better to stand alongside her than the dragon who’d literally swept her off her hooves?

Daylight flooded the stage amid Rainbow’s laughter. “I keep telling you it’s gonna be Hearts and Hooves day. There’s no way Rarity would come up here and plant one on Sp—aah!”

Dreamy coos and defeated groans filled the air. Nearly the entire town was present, watching them share the best first kiss in history, as far as Rarity was concerned. The ponies in the front row had plenty to say.

“What’s your secret, Rarity?”

“Save it for the honeymoon, you two!”

“Don’t say that! Keep your options open, Spike!”

“What the hay is she wearing?”

“I dunno, but if brings in the dragons I'm totally buying five of ‘em!”

Pinkie trotted up to Rainbow and patted her head. “Look on the bright side, now we finally get to eat that ‘It’s About Time’ cake I’ve been saving in the freezer!”

Spike stared out at the crowd, frozen. His previous romantic air had given way to shell-shocked disbelief and a ketchup-rivaling blush. “Uh… um…”

Rarity returned to her hooves, which weren’t as steady as they’d been a minute ago. Her previous worries were far from gone: her ensemble was a disaster and her reputation might as well be, but this time she didn’t care. She could hold onto that moment of serenity, especially if a certain dragon was capable of a repeat performance. She ignored the crowd and faced Rainbow instead, smiling. “Well, it appears that we’ve won a certain—”

Rainbow groaned. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll get you your bits… and your hit list.”

“I’ll simply take the bits, thank you. I believe Spikey and I have other plans this evening that require them, don’t we?”

“Uh… yeah…” Spike said. Shock aside, some measure of his earlier resoluteness still shone in his eyes. “We’re… going to the nicest restaurant there is… in Canterlot!”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Seriously, Spike? With this many bits, you could have a nice dinner on a tropical cruise!”

Rarity’s eyes lit up, and she spoke loudly enough for the crowd to hear. “That’s a splendid idea! A tropical cruise, the perfect honeymoon retreat! Come, Spike, we simply must discuss our secret engagement in greater detail!”

Now Ponyville really had something to gossip and wonder about, this time on her terms.

Rainbow gasped. “Did you just say you’re—”

“We’ll be sure to send you a postcard, Rainbow.” Without another word or even a glance to the gawking crowd, Rarity trotted toward the backstage door with a shocked Spike in tow. Pinkie gave them a wink as she pulled the curtains closed again, returning the stage to its far more romantic near-darkness.

“Wha… wait. Wait.” Spike murmured.

Rarity smiled at him and batted her eyelashes. Now came the real test. “Hmm? Is something the matter, my Spikey-Wikey?”

Spike hid his hands behind his back and blushed. “Well, n—I mean yes. Yes! Going on a honeymoon cruise sounds amazing but… we’ve been on one and half dates, tops… and we’ve only kissed the one time. Couldn’t we just start with dinner in Canterlot, and maybe see a play?”

She leaned in and pecked him on the cheek. “I couldn’t agree more.”

“Really? But… you said—“

“What were you thinking, during our kiss?”

“I-I… um… I… I wasn’t?” he offered a weak smile.

She giggled. “I realized something important, meanwhile: I shouldn’t answer the pettiness of a few ponies with pettiness of my own… and if there are going to be rumors about the two of us, shouldn’t we be the ones starting them?”

He leaned in puckered up, but she stepped away with another giggle. “Shouldn’t we save that for our next proper date? Hmm?”

“Oh… yeah. So, uh… Would… Would you like to go to dinner and a play tonight, in Canterlot? I-I don’t have tickets or anything yet, but—”

Rarity pulled him into a hug. “I thought you’d never ask.”

Comments ( 30 )

Not saying I don support other ships, but...

:moustache::heart::raritywink: 4 LIFE

Aw, this is nice. :twilightsmile:

I love how Spike gets to be the one keeping his composure. The hardest part of Sparity is, in my estimation, "What does she see in him?". That is, what reason does Rarity have to be attracted to Spike outside of him being nice? This story does a good job answering that question while keeping both of them in-character. I fully approve.

Welp, I've got nothing constructive to add. So here's what I was listening to while reading.

Who knew having dragon breath could make you such a hot item? :trollestia:

Thanks for the lovely fic.

A grand ship she is...:trollestia:

:twilightblush: Well you've been dating a while when are you two going to get engaged?
:pinkiehappy: I bet 20 bits for 6 months
:rainbowlaugh: you're on but next hearts and hooves day!
:yay: Next summer sun celebration
:unsuresweetie: this week
:ajbemused: no way give them time
:scootangel: Not time tic tacs
:twilightblush: breath mints?
:applecry: Rarity was on the pill
:unsuresweetie: now she's on breath mints
:raritystarry::twilightoops:
:moustache: She does smell like marsh mellows:facehoof:
:raritycry: SWEETIE BELLE !

15/10 . CUTE CANON characters - well done
orig02.deviantart.net/a30d/f/2017/055/2/7/fashionably_resting_by_hillbe-db0abdt.jpg
:unsuresweetie: does this mean I lose the bet?

The petty is real

Another great Sparity fic from you. Favorited and like.

“It’s okay, I can just lick it all—”

As Twilight would say, "Very efficient! And a little bit gross."

Kudos for remembering that little detail of Spike's character! :pinkiehappy:


This was a great followup story - it was as heartwarming as it was funny. And it seems very believable the citizens of Ponyville would be placing bets all this time. :rainbowlaugh:

Ah, hey! it's a sequel to one of the better fics in the Soft Hands contest! Solid sequel it is, too.

Very well done, dude. :raritywink:

Aww. This is a wonderful story and a great sequel too. I didn't think the original would have a second part, but I'm glad you wrote it. What a lovely and sweet way to wrap up the tale...unless you plan to continue their blossoming romance.

Ha ha, only joking. Excellent nonetheless.

Loved it!

Once more I find myself deeply appreciating your balanced take on emotional needs & the necessity (or lack thereof) to address drama mills. 'Specially since some of the tongue-wagging townspones working Rarity's dander up seem deeply analogous to the fandom's kneejerk hatebase for Squiggletail's every perceived misstep or purple-prose affectation. I've certainly spent more time seething over RandoMcDouchenozzles (disclaimer: not an actual FIMfic user. I think) and their Defcon-11 Flanderizations of what Fashion Pone's about than is strictly sane or productive, so hot damn can I relate to Rarity's source of stress in this fic despite not having one-fiftieth her sense of style (among a great many other things). Thanks again for a chucklesome & uplifting read.

I reviewed this story as part of Read It Now Reviews #108.

My review can be found here.

Truth be told, I 'm a skosh underwhelmed by some of the off-page critique this fic's received. Ponyville residents wouldn't off-hoovedly compliment one of the Crystal Empire's saviors (and a pagedrake who can bend Hoity Toity's ear)? Rarity isn't occasionally a skosh over-concerned about public (and self-) perception, and couldn't use a little verbal support now & again? Spinning said elements as borderline Social Gary Stuism in Spike's favor seems a bit, well, loaded to me.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Wait, they kissed? D: Gross! It's like you want them to be together or something! I'm outraged!

8796043
That one’s on you :trollestia:

8796064
And that one’s on me :moustache:

I’m assuming you picked this up because it’s a sequel to something you liked. Otherwise I can’t fathom why you bothered. Go read Forever Twilight or After Action instead :scootangel:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

8796138
Yes! It's a sequel to that great Soft Hands fic where you tore Sparity apart!

I WAS LIED TO D:

Yet another Spike fic of yours that I love... Well, two really. Tensions was cute, but this one sold it further. Got any plans to write any of the non-Rarity Spike pairings? It'd be fun to see your take on some of the other straight ships the drake has accumulated over the years.

9184581
Thanks, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I’ve written (and will continue to write) other pairings, but as far as Spike and Rarity go, I’m a bit of a purist :raritywink:

9185332

I'm sure you'll stick to your preferences, but hey, there's always an opportunity to expand your horizons. Have you ever tried some of the CMC ships at all?

Good enough to be canon. Most excellent.

9193931
To me, the CMC are too young; they’re school children. That doesn’t mean they won’t have crushes, but all their wants and ideas about a relationship are going to be tied up in feeling out what all this mushy stuff even means versus actually seeking out and finding a life partner. There’s plenty of story potential there, but it’d be romance-themed coming-of-age story in my book. The same goes for the EqG mane six.

I guess that’s a very long-winded way of saying “nah, not my jam.” :derpytongue2:

9214952

We could argue that Spike is younger than Apple Bloom, so what's your point?

9215432

Spike is an interesting beast. He’s grown up separated from his kind and all semblances of biological family. As the show seasons have passed, we’ve seen him grow from being horribly insecure about his role as Twilight’s assistant when she gets a pet to handling some of her responsibilities while she’s away, preventing a war with the dragons, and standing up for a lone changeling against everyone he loves and respects.

The CMC have grown tremendously too, but the challenges they face are still largely confined to the school yard.

We could argue about this, but let’s leave it at “it’s complicated.”

9216042

Moving on, do you have any experience with ships you haven't published on this site?

9216240
Hmm. Do you mean in other fandoms, or just ones I haven’t written? Other fandoms: not really. Unwritten ships: I suppose I’ve read some that I haven’t written. Nothing is coming to mind at the moment, though.

9216358
So that's a no. Honestly, I'm curious how you'd handle the Starlight ships, but that'd probably be too easy if it were Starburst.

9217248
The most off the wall ships I’ve done are easily Shell Game and Water Pony. Starlight isn’t on my radar at the moment, but never say never I suppose :scootangel:

9227689

Off the wall really doesn't describe the Starlight ships that aren't OC's as far as I've seen. Heck, it was a Sparlight story that even got me more invested towards her in the first place, lending to me a sense of real depth to her more SoL stories as a whole.

Login or register to comment