• Published 6th Dec 2011
  • 1,419 Views, 5 Comments

Song from the Shadows - SteampunkBrony



After two years of working at the rainbow factory, Nightsong is offered a chance to escape alive.

  • ...
4
 5
 1,419

Freedom

A/N: Well there ya go, another chapter. I decided to do a little action in this one, hope ya like it. Fifty internets to the pony who can guess the game those songs came from WITHOUT looking at the youtube tab that those links open. As always lemme know what i did wrong, i enjoy constructive criticism.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Are you ready?" The guard said with a kind smile.

It was a week later and Nightsong had been planning her escape. She knew it was going to hurt the guard's feelings, even though he had been so kind to her, but she had to escape that damned factory.

"Yes, I'm ready." She said smiling, she had left her work coveralls on, deciding the black fabric would help with her escape.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

An hour later the guard and her were sitting on one of the maintenance walkways that the unicorns used when repairing machinery on the outside of the factory.

"I must admit, tonight was fun." The guard said smiling, they both had splotches of spectra on them from a pipe breaking, causing them to have to sneak past the maintenance crews.

"Yeah, it was... I don't think I ever got your name..." Nightsong said leaning onto the guard's shoulder.

"It's Starwatch. I usually got the night shift before i was transferred, I'm not a day person to be honest..."

"Well Starwatch, Thanks for the wonderful night." Nightsong said hugging him, "But I'm afraid I have to go now... they probably have noticed I'm missing..."

"Night... what do you mean?"

"They do rounds of the rainbow factory's workers rooms to make sure none of us try to escape... chances are they're in a panic trying to find me..."

"I'll hold them back..."

"Don't bother... they would kill you in an instant..." She said taking his gun in her hooves. "Take this, count to five, then start shooting. Say I got the jump on you, that I knocked you over before jumping... save yourself, I'll die before I give up this one chance." She said smiling at him, tears in her eyes. "Your wife and foal deserve you more than I deserve to live, wish me luck." She said pressing the 10mm pistol into his hooves. "Star... Follow your orders and don't cry over me... I don't even exist to the world anymore." She said as she jumped over the railing, entering a free-fall.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Cue battle music!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Seconds after the black and green pegasus enters her dive, nine shots ring out accompanied by a slightly choked shout of "SECURITY BREACH!" followed by an alarm klaxon beginning it's wail.

Oh no you don't! Nightsong thought as she pulled a small device from her pocket and pressed a button.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Inside the rainbow factory five cola bottles shattered from extreme heat as the thermite they contained ignited, their detonators triggered. Molten iron poured across coolant pipes and important temperature controls for the spectra processor as the machine roared to life, a dull thud echoing through the facility as a home made bomb ripped the control panel apart. The separation spell matrix began to generate heat as the hopper-full of corpses fell into it, beginning a powerful magical chain reaction.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"AFTER THAT ROTTEN LITTLE BITCH!" Solar flare yelled at the elite guards of the factory, the six pegasi diving after the free falling pegasus, pulling out various forms of firearms. They accelerated downwards, but Nightsong spotted them and responded in kind.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Another alarm echoed through the Rainbow factory as the separation spell matrix began to overheat and melt down, the sheer amount of energy being generated was causing the stone spell matrix to crack, a deep blue light shining from the cracks.

A worker ran into the control room to see what was up. "Celestia have mercy on us..." He muttered in shock as he beheld the now melting mass of metal that had been the processor. Rubber and plastic components were burning as wiring sparked and zapped. The worker slammed his hoof into a glass covered button on the wall, the two alarms that had been ringing cut off, leaving an eerie silence before a low drone was heard, the old air raid siren from the last war involving Equestria groaning to life, it's haunting, pulsing drone echoing across Cloudsdale.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bullets whizzed past Night as she accelerated downwards, the drone of the meltdown alarm music to her ears. If this doesn't end the factory, at least they will be investigated. She thought as she looked up at the dark mass of clouds, the ponies that were inside scattering across the sky.

She cried out as a bullet impacted her right hind leg, tearing through the flesh just above the fetlock. She cried out in pain, pulling out of her dive moments before she hit the ground, making a beeline for the Everfree.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Solar Flare ranted as he ran towards the spell matrix, dragging an unfortunate unicorn behind him. "Stupid Bitch thinks she's gonna win? LIKE FUCKING HELL THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ON MY WATCH!" He yelled as he tossed the Unicorn into the room with the processor, following him in. "Fit it or you die!" He growled at the purple unicorn.

"I don't think i will..." The unicorn said with a smirk. "After all, I know what happens in here, on my last visit to Cloudsdale i found out, I was originally going to report this to the Princess Celestia, but i think this is a smarter solution... after all..." She said as she charged a spell, "I am her prized student."

The door welded itself shut behind Solar Flare as Twilight teleported from the room.

"YOU FILTHY ROTTEN STINKING WHORE WHEN I GET OUT OF HERE I WILL DESTROY YOU AND EVERYTH-"

Solar Flares shouts of rage were abruptly ended as a blue flash and a impossibly loud explosion rocked Cloudsdale, spectra painting the city and the ground below in bright vibrant colors as a glowing blue mushroom cloud rose over the Cloudsdale Plains.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The explosion momentarily blinded and deafened Nightsong as she tore through the air towards the Everfree, the visible blast wave following her across the plains, catching up fast. She poured every ounce of strength she could into outrunning that deadly wall of high pressure air.

The six stallions chasing her kept firing as the wave caught up, they were barely keeping up to the pegasus as she sped across the hills.

Just a little more speed... c'mon... i can beat this... I have come too far to die now! She mentally screamed at herself, a pressure cone forming in front of her as she accelerated, the blast wave swallowing up the first of her six followers.

Suddenly Nightsong felt something change as the world went quiet. She saw a wavy ring of green in her peripherals as she slowly pulled away from the pressure wave behind her.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The guard who was right behind the fleeing pegasus couldn't believe it, a second explosion? No... it was a rainboom... only one color but the fact that he could no longer hear and that his wings were broken by the sudden mass turbulence convinced him as he slammed into the ground barely below the speed of sound, saving somepony the nasty job of burying him as the sheer momentum of his impact digging his own grave.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Please switch music.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I did it... Nightsong thought to herself, letting herself glide down to the dirt road leading into the everfree, I escaped... and destroyed that thrice damned machine... Now what... She thought as she went in to land, screaming in pain as her rear leg took on weight. She fell down onto the path and breathed heavily for what seemed like hours before she heard a quiet voice, "Oh my! Are you okay? Miss? Miss!" The last thing she saw before passing out from blood loss was a yellow blob running towards her.