• Published 6th Mar 2017
  • 562 Views, 7 Comments

Every Smile Matters - storm128



Nurse Redheart questions the importance of her day to day life. Perhaps helping out a distressed colt will show her how meaningful the smallest acts of kindness can be.

  • ...
0
 7
 562

Chapter 1

Every Smile Matters
By Storm128

Ponyville General Hospital was a bastion of modern medicine and the highest order of patient care. Its comforting halls of soft greens and warm browns showcased a homey environment, while still retaining an appearance of professionalism. Wideset windows allowed for natural light to be the primary source for illuminating the various rooms. The building was bustling with caring staff as they quickly hustled to and fro; all to provide the very best experience to the patients enduring the trials of a hospital stay.

Although special attention was needed for a particularly melodramatic, white unicorn.

“Please give it to me straight, Doctor,” Rarity wailed, one of her forelegs shielding her eyes in despair, “will I ever walk again?!”

Nurse Redheart was similarly holding a hoof to her face. “For the last time, Ms. Rarity, it’s just a chipped hoof. You’re fine. Honestly, you could have gone to the spa to have this treated.”

“What?!” Rarity shouted incredulously, sitting up from the ornate, red and gold couch she’d pulled from… somewhere. “But those changeling ruffians nearly proved our end! It simply must be more severe than a-” she cut herself off as the nurse’s words registered. “I’m sorry dear, but did you say spa?” the unicorn asked sweetly, her expression growing eager.

Redheart groaned, “Yes. Take a spa day, try to stay off that hoof for a while, and, if you find that that the chipping is a recurring problem, try eating better.”

Rarity gasped in offense, “Nurse! Are you trying to imply my weight has something to do with this?!”

“No, but chipped hooves are often a sign of certain nutrient deficiencies in one’s diet,” Redheart stated simply. The pink maned earth pony then snatched a clipboard off the nearby counter and dropped it in the unicorn’s lap. “Fewer cupcakes, more carrots. Sign here, please.”

“Well, I suppose I’ve been imbibing my fair share of Pinkie’s confections of late,” Rarity mumbled as she hastily scribbled on the page. “Thank you for your time, nurse.”

“Don’t let the door hit you,” the nurse grumbled as Rarity dashed out of the room. Redheart turned toward the job of cleanup for the next patient. She was pondering how exactly she was going to remove the sofa from the examination room when a voice spoke up.

“That was blunt,” Nurse Sweetheart commented.

Redheart sighed as she turned toward her friend. The portly, pink pony looked more concerned than critical. She took a few steps into the room and placed a hoof on Redheart’s shoulder. “You doing alright?”

“I’m fine,” Redheart responded, brushing off her friend’s hoof. “It’s just, you know, them.”

“Them?” Sweetheart asked. “The patients?

“No, no,” Redheart answered exasperatedly. “You know, Princess Twilight and company.”

“I’m confused,” Sweetheart stated. “What do you have against them? I mean, sure, we probably see that lot in here more than anypony in town, but that’s usually because they’re busy saving us all the time.”

“That’s my point!” Redheart snapped. “It seems like every week one of them is in here recovering from some grand feat of heroism. ‘Oh, today we fought off a vicious hydra. Maybe tomorrow we’ll bring down some ancient evil empire. Just shower us with all of the glory and adoration we so rightfully deserve.’ They’re in here always lording over all of us and… and…” the nurse sighed as she trailed off. “This is starting to sound really petty, isn’t it?”

Sweetheart remained silent as she put a foreleg around her friend’s shoulder. “What’s really bugging you?”

Redheart looked up to protest before Sweetheart interrupted, “We’ve been working together a long time, sweetie. I know you, and I can tell there’s more to this.”

“I… I…” the white pony stuttered as she tried to think up an excuse. Finding none, she hung her head, “I don’t know. Sometimes I just feel like all I’m doing is chasing my tail every day. Have you ever felt like what you’re doing in life really doesn’t… matter?”

“What are you talking about,” Sweetheart asked softly. “We’re nurses, everyday we help the sick, heal the injured. Ponies ask us for help when they’re at their most vulnerable, and they trust us (almost) unconditionally. What could matter more than that?”

Redheart scoffed, “Oh yeah, what we do is really important. Like cleaning up after that couple from the discount buffet this morning?”

“We agreed not to talk about that before lunch,” Sweetheart responded scoldingly. “And yes. At that moment, those ponies needed us more than anyone else in the world. Nopony ever said what we do is glamorous, but it absolutely matters.” The pink nurse motioned toward the door, “Speaking of lunch, let’s go get some and talk about this a bit-”

Nurse Sweetheart, Nurse Sweetheart to the operating ward, the intercom announced.

“Oh feathers,” Sweetheart swore before covering her mouth ashamedly.

Redheart giggled, “Go on, I’ll be fine. Meet you in the cafeteria?”

“Count on it,” the other nurse responded. Sweetheart dashed out of the room, leaving her friend alone with her thoughts.

“Guess I’ll go wait for her,” Redheart said. She couldn’t think of any other patients assigned to her that needed immediate help, and maybe a bit of time alone was just what the doctor ordered.

The pink-maned nurse didn’t get two steps into the hallway before somepony came stampeding toward her.

It was a young, gray colt with a shock-white mane. He was dressed in a green hospital gown that flapped behind him as he galloped at a panicked pace. The colt’s face was struck with worry as he nervously scanned his eyes around the hall. Suddenly he veered into an open door, and Redheart began hearing instruments crash to the ground.

“Hey!” she shouted before darting after the colt. It was another exam room, although this one was already in quite the state of disarray. Several white cupboards had been thrown open, and their contents seemingly swept to the ground. Jars of tongue depressors and cotton swabs were spilt across the counter, and every drawer had been flung open.

The colt was busily tearing apart a stack of magazines on the far side of the room. Redheart approached stoically, preparing the best ‘respect for other’s property’ lecture she could muster. When the child came into view, all of Redheart’s righteous indignation evaporated at the sight of tears cascading down his cheeks.

“Rowdy! Rowdy! Where are you?!” he called through his sobs. The colt’s shoulders shook as he desperately pulled down the periodicals. Giving up, he turned back toward the door, but froze as he spied the nurse. The colt’s eyes grew wide, and a look of guilt passed over him as he glanced at the jumbled mess. “I… I’m sorry,” he croaked.

“What’s going on?” Redheart asked comfortingly. She approached the colt and put a hoof around his shoulders.

“I- um- well-” he stuttered.

“It’s ok,” Redheart reassured him. “I’m not upset. Can you tell me your name?”

The colt sniffed back a tear, “Snow Drift.”

“Hi Snow Drift, you can call me Nurse Redheart,” she answered softly. “Now what happened, why are you so upset?”

“I- I can’t find Rowdy!” he cried out suddenly.

“Who’s Rowdy?” the nurse asked gently.

“My best friend, he’s my dog,” Snow Drift said somberly.

“We don’t usually let dogs in the hospital, maybe he’s waiting for you outside,” Redheart offered.

“No, he’s here. We came in together,” he countered. “Maybe ‘cause he’s a toy?”

“Oh, yes. Toy dogs are certainly allowed,” the nurse conceded. “Well, where did you last see him?”

“Right after we got here,” the colt answered. “Mom and dad said I had to see the doctor today, but I was too nervous to go without Rowdy. They went to go talk to Doctor Horse about my horn.” He gestured at his forehead, and Redheart could now see a tiny nub of bandages jutting out of his mane. “We fell asleep waiting, and when I woke up I was wearing these clothes in a different room. Mom and dad said I had to have surgery, but Rowdy wasn’t there and they couldn’t find him. I had to go look for him!”

“I’m sure we can look while you’re in surgery, but you really shouldn’t run away like that. Your parents must be worried about you.”

“But I can’t!” the colt cried, his tears returning in full force. “I don’t wanna go to surgery, it’s scary.”

“Will Rowdy make it less scary?” Redheart asked.

Snow Drift nodded.

“Well, I guess we better go find him,” the nurse stated confidently.

“You mean it?” the colt asked, hope sparkling in his eyes.

“I promise. So, where were you waiting for your parents?” Redheart inquired.

“The lobby.”

Nodding, Redheart offered her foreleg for the colt to take hold. The duo then made their way toward the entrance. After a time, they passed by a nurse’s station. Redheart pondered a second before stopping.

“I know they keep a lost and found here,” she told Snow Drift. “Let’s check, just to make sure.”

The colt nodded his agreement. Redheart pulled the box out from behind the counter and began combing through the contents. Plenty of forgotten hats, coats, and the odd single shoe that always seem to inhabit lost and found boxes, but no toys.

Just as Redheart was set to continue on, a dark blue doctor and a yellow nurse both hustled into the station, arguing loudly.

“I’m telling you, doctor, it’s just bad dreams brought on from a poor diet,” Nurse Snowheart said sternly. “No reason to start one of your wacky conspiracy theories.”

“And I’m telling you, nurse, not to question my diagnosis. It’s Luna, there’s no other explanation,” Doctor Hoof responded incredulously, a hint of mania in his tone.

Snowheart placed a hoof over her face, “Every time a pony comes in with a couple nightmares you say the same thing. You always think it’s Luna, and it’s never Luna.”

The pair continued to bicker as they continued on. Snow Drift looked at Redheart curiously.

“Don’t mind him,” she reassured the colt. “Doctor Hoof is brilliant, but nopony can correct him. He just needs to come to his own conclusions.” Snow Drift nodded his understanding and the duo set off toward the lobby once again.

Upon arriving, Redheart turned toward Snow Drift, “So, where were you and Rowdy sleeping?”

“Over there,” he said whilst pointing at a set of open benches. “We were sitting next to that filly,” the colt redirected his hoof toward a white filly with a pink and lavender mane standing at the front desk.

“What do you mean my sister just left?!” she shouted at the receptionist, her voice cracking in frustration.

“I mean Ms. Rarity just walked out the front door a few minutes ago,” answered a bored-looking, green stallion nonchalantly flipping through the pages of a magazine.

“Ugh,” she groaned. “I was waiting this whole time and she just leaves?! I cannot believe her!” The filly then turned and stomped out the front door.

Returning her attention to the task at hoof, Redheart trotted over to the empty seats and began looking around. There was no sign of any toy amongst the furniture. The nurse turned back toward Snow Drift and shook her head somberly.

The pair approached the receptionist, who was still gazing down at the glossy pages before him.

“Welcome to Ponyville General, how may I help you today,” he mumbled slowly.

“Snapshot, I work here,” Redheart stated flatly.

“The employee area is down the left hallway and-”

“Oh horse-apples, Snapshot, could you pay attention for two seconds for once in your life,” Redheart snapped.

The stallion’s eyes turned toward her. “One, two,” he stated sarcastically before returning his attention to the magazine.

“For the love of-” Redheart began before forcing herself to calm down. “I just need to know if you saw a toy dog out in the lobby earlier.”

“You don’t pay me to look after your things, nurse,” he replied.

“We also don’t pay you to sit on your butt, reading about Coloratura’s latest fashion fumble,” Redheart shouted as she reared up and slammed her hooves on the counter. Snapshot lurched back in surprise and instantly straightened up. “So tell me if you saw the toy before I find somepony a little more observant to warm that seat.”

“I saw the kid with it when he came in, but then his parents came and got him. After that it was gone, but I didn’t see anypony take it. I swear,” he replied.

“There, now was that so hard?” Redheart responded sweetly. She patted the buck on the head before the pair walked off.

“Horse… apples?” Snow Drift repeated curiously.

“Um, let’s not tell your parents I said that,” Redheart answered quickly. “It’s um… grown up talk.”

“So what do we do now?” Snow Drift asked nervously.

“Let’s check the other nurse’s stations first, they’re all bound to have some kind of lost and found. After that, we can check the exam room they moved you to,” Redheart stopped suddenly and knelt down next to the colt, bringing herself to eye level. “And if we still can’t find him, I will turn this hospital upside down until we do. We’re gonna get Rowdy ba-”

“Nurse Redheart,” a voice proclaimed sternly. Redheart whipped around, and found Doctor Horse and Nurse Sweetheart standing at the other end of the hall.

“What do you think you’re doing,” the yellow stallion began. “This patient was supposed to be in surgery an hour ago. We’ve been looking everywhere for him.”

“We’ve been looking for his toy,” Redheart responded defensively. “He’s too nervous to go into surgery without it. You can’t expect him to go through with this if he couldn’t even come see the doctor without Rowdy.”

“Rowdy?” Horse asked.

“The toy!” Redheart exclaimed. “He needs to be as comfortable as possible before surgery. It’s paramount that we find it.”

“Unfortunately, none of that matters,” the doctor responded woefully as he approached. The stallion leaned in close and spoke quietly so only the two of them could hear. “Why do you think this was scheduled so quickly? Procedures on magically infused extremities are incredibly delicate, you should know that. Time is of the essence, and if the surgery is not performed soon, then he may face serious physical deformities. We cannot afford to delay any longer.”

Redheart’s stomach sank as she let that register. As much as she wanted to continue the search for Rowdy, to make sure Snow Drift was as comfortable as possible before his first major surgery, Doctor Horse was right.

The nurse knelt next to Snow Drift, again meeting his gaze, “Ok, kid, these two nice ponies are going to take you back to your parents. They’ll help you feel better before your procedure. It’ll be-”

“But you promised,” Snow Drift cried out before grasping onto Redheart’s leg. “You promised you’d help me find Rowdy. I can’t do it without him. Please, don’t let them take me. I want my friend back. Please!” His lips quivered as fresh tears poured down his cheeks.

The edges of Redheart’s eyes began to burn, but still she pushed him away. “I’m sorry, Snow Drift. When you get out, we’ll find him. I swear.”

“But- but-” he stammered as Sweetheart picked him up. “But you promised.”

“It’s ok, sweetie,” the pink nurse said comfortingly. “Everything will be just fine. You’ll see your little friend again soon enough.”

“But- but-” the colt mumbled before devolving into mournful sobs.

“I’m sorry,” Redheart said again as the three ponies disappeared around the corner.

With a heavy heart, the nurse plodded back into the lobby and collapsed into an empty seat. The room was empty, save for Snapshot, allowing Redheart to feel comfortable enough to lie down and shed a few quiet tears.

“How could I do that to him?” she whispered. “Bad enough he lost the darn thing, but then I had to go and get his hopes up? What was I thinking?”

She covered her face in her hooves and let the burning guilt work its way through her. “I can’t even find a toy dog for a sick kid. Guess I was right at least, nothing I do really matters.”

“Pardon me, I hope I’m not interrupting… you,” a familiar voice spoke up.

Redheart immediately sat up straight, nearly colliding with the white unicorn standing above her.

“Oh goodness me,” Rarity squeaked in surprise. “I’m ever so sorry, darling. It was not my intention to startle you.”

“It’s ok, Ms. Rarity,” the nurse said dejectedly.

“Please just Rarity, darling,” she corrected gently.

“Ok, Rarity. I probably shouldn’t have been talking to myself in public anyway,” Redheart responded.

“Well, I was indeed hoping I would run into you again when I returned,” the unicorn continued. “I wish to apologize for my accusatory tone earlier. It was out of line when you were just offering your expertise. So, I’m sorry… again.”

“It’s ok… again,” Redheart said. “What are you doing back?”

“It’s certainly not for another chipped hoof,” Rarity responded amusedly. “Although, it may be just as embarrassing. You see, I was in such a hurry to fill your prescription that I grabbed what I thought was my sister on the way out the door. Turns out, I apparently stole this.”

Rarity removed an item from her saddlebag and levitated it before them, causing Redheart’s eyes to grow wide. The unicorn was holding a small stuffed animal with white fur, blue eyes, a tail, and a big pink tongue hanging out of its long snout.

“Rowdy!” Redheart exclaimed as she snatched the toy.

“Oh dear, don’t tell me I stole one of your belongings as well as insult you,” Rarity said, looking mortified.

“No- I- it’s just- ugh,” Redheart groaned as she dashed from the room. “I’ll explain later! And I’m sorry I called you fat!” she called over her shoulder.

“Wait, what?!” Rarity shouted back, but the rest of the comment was lost to the wind as Redheart galloped down the hallway.

Orderlies, nurses, and doctors alike all sprang out of the way of the stampeding mare. The nurse’s heart pumped audibly and sweat broke out across her brow. She knew this hospital like the back of her hoof, and she took every shortcut imaginable to the surgery ward. Redheart dived over trollies, ducked around opening doors, and leapt over at least one occupied gurney.

Finally, her chest burning, Redheart arrived. Snow Drift’s hospital bed was just parting the double doors into surgery. The terrified colt’s gaze was locked onto what was surely his parents standing above him.

“We’re right here for you sweetheart, everything is gonna be fine,” the mare was saying. “While you’re asleep, I promise that we’re going to find-”

Redheart lifted the stuffed animal into the air, and Snow Drift immediately spied it. “Rowdy!” he cried joyfully.

The panting nurse trotted up to the supine colt, and nestled the toy in the crux of his foreleg. “You found him,” the colt murmured longingly as he hugged the toy close.

“I promised you, didn’t I?” Redheart gasped, still recovering from her gauntlet through the halls.

Snow Drift didn’t respond at first, just ran his hoof along the toy’s silken fur. His look of shock soon devolved into a grateful smile. It grew until the colt was grinning from ear to ear as he nuzzled against the toy. The nurse’s heart warmed to the point that her exhaustion was far from her mind.

After a few moments, Snow Drift turned his gaze toward her. “Thank you, Nurse Redheart. You’re the best nurse in all of Equestria.” The colt leaned off the bed, threw his forelegs around Redheart’s neck and squeezed. She returned the hug before seeing Rowdy levitating gently beside her. The flickering, white light around the toy was the same that illuminated the young colt’s bandaged horn. “Rowdy wants to say thank you too,” Snow Drift explained.

“You’re welcome, Rowdy,” Redheart said to the toy before embracing it as well. She then turned back to the colt. “I kept my promise, now you have to give me one too.”

Snow Drift cocked his head quizzically.

“Promise that you’ll be a good boy for your doctors, and that you’ll come see me when you get done.”

Snow Drift’s smile widened before nodding his agreement.

After the parents gave their heartfelt thanks, they ushered the young colt into the operating room. This time, he seemed far more confident as the double doors swung shut.

Redheart and Sweetheart were left alone, but they didn’t speak at first. The pink-maned nurse kept her gaze locked on the door to surgery as the earlier warmth continued to spread throughout her.

“Well,” Sweetheart said after a time, “still feel like your job doesn’t matter?”

Redheart’s smile only widened, “I guess I just needed a dose of reality. Sometimes it really is the little things you do that makes all the difference. Fending off ancient evils and battling monsters might be important, but the day to day worries still matter a lot too. Whether it’s mending a broken leg, cleaning up somepony’s sick or…” She stared longingly at the closed doors again, allowing the comforting wave of a job well done crash over her.

“Making just one pony smile, it all makes a difference.”

Comments ( 7 )

God damnit the feels! Good story by the way!

8001764 Thanks! Feels were definitely what I was aiming for. :twilightblush:

8002214 i think my heart stopped for a second at the end when rarity came back!

Cute, with some nice comedy mixed in.

If I had one complaint, it's that the story opens with an infodump of description about the hospital, and this is probably not the strongest way to start. In part, it's because some of this is information we don't really need to know. What we do need to know could be interspersed with Rarity and Redheart's interactions to build the scenery in a more natural way than pouring it all out upfront.

She patted the buck on the head before the pair walked off.

I think you mean "stallion" and not "buck" here.

Nice Scrubs reference with the name of the toy. The overall sentiment here is good as well. However, the main conceit of the story, that Rarity confused a toy with her own sister... that's too much of a stretch. Maybe have it be in a saddle bag, and in the process of leaving (with her sister) she grabs the wrong bag, thinking it was Sweetie Belle's in the rush out the door.

My other main complaint is that Redheart's crisis is too bluntly stated. This happens early on, in the conversation with her fellow nurse, and then again later, when she literally talks to herself, describing her exact thoughts as she cries in the lobby. It'd be better to describe more of this as emotions or actions, rather than direct dialog.

Overall though, a touching story!

8031270 Thanks for the critiques. I agree about the info dump, I could have worked the descriptions into the dialogue a bit better. And yes, I meant stallion, I'll fix that.

8034161 Thank you for the suggestions. Honestly, the whole plot point with Rarity taking the toy was mostly me just grasping at threads to tie the story together, same with Redheart's crisis. I guess that's what I get for procrastinating. :fluttershyouch:

Login or register to comment