• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 1,770 Views, 77 Comments

The Times of Good-bye - Karan Dash



As Twilight and their friends grow old and deal with the issues of adulthood, they contemplate the meaning of living and dying.

  • ...
7
 77
 1,770

The Fifth Good-bye

Twilight was sitting next to Applejack's bed, reading a book. She was supposed to be at some sort of royal event in Canterlot, but she had decided that she was going to spend as much time as possible next to her friend. As she heard Applejack's deep breathing, she thought about how far behind she was with her work. She'd probably have to do an all nighter again.

After a while, Applejack slowly gained conscience. "Is that you, Twilight?" she said with a hoarse voice.

Twilight closed her book and touched Applejack's hoof. She knew that the cowgirl pony couldn't see well anymore and had a bit of a hearing problem, "yes, it's me. How are you doing?"

"Oh, you know me, I'm mighty fine, sugarcube," Applejack laughed a bit before starting to cough.

"Are you really ok?" asked Twilight.

"Yeah, I am fine," said Applejack after her cough had died down. "You know, you shouldn't spend so much time with this old mare. You have duties to fulfill."

"It's my day off."

"Crapola. You'll have to lie better than that, but thank you."

Twilight couldn't help but smile at being discovered. "You were always good at discerning the truth."

"Well, I AM the element of honesty, after all. Not that you are a particularly difficult pony to figure out."

"Boy, that Elements of Harmony thing never came up again, did it? Remember how all those adventures we had?"

"I sure do. I do have a theory about it."

"So, do I."

"Tell me yours first."

"I think Celestia somehow arranged the whole 'adventure' thing."

"Nah, I like my theory better."

"What is it?"

"I think we just were young mares and happened to be in the right place and at the right time for such things to happen. Then we grew up and became adults and had to deal with other things. I, for one, am very grateful to have had the opportunity to live all those adventures with you and the other girls. Those are some of the best memories I'm taking with me."

Twilight nodded, "I think I like your theory better. I'm certainly going to keep those memories in a special place as well." She sighed and added, "I'm glad to have met you and spent all those years together."

"Me too, sugarcube."

"I wish your grandfoals were here more often. I guess they still haven't learned to appreciate time with loved ones." While they weren't really Applejack's descendants, Twilight and Applejack always referred to them as if they were.

"Oh, I don't mind. They're young and have things to do. Why would they want to spend the day at the house of a sick, ol' mare? They need to live their lives, you know?"

"I guess you're right, my friend."

"Plus, I lived mine and I'm satisfied with how I lived it. I just wish I could have been out there bucking trees until my last day instead of being in bed most of the time. At least Applebloom could walk by herself until she died."

"Well, she had a long and fulfilling life, so I don't feel that bad about it."

"We are the Cutie Mark Crusaders..." sang Applejack.

"...on a quest to find out who we are," joined Twilight.

Applejack giggled a bit. "I'm looking forward to see her again, and Big Mac, and Rarity and all the girls."

Twilight knew that Applejack was certain about an afterlife. They had already spoken about the subject and she knew better than to question Applejack's belief in her condition. It's not like she had figured out the answer herself anyway. "Who do you want to see the most?" she asked.

"My husband."

Twilight's eyebrows rose. "Really?"

"Yeah. I know that you barely knew him. Heck, you probably don't even remember his name. But you know what? He was the only one who truly made me feel special. He loved me like nopony else in the world. He wasn't particularly smart or strong, but he was a good stallion and when he embraced me, I felt like everything was just right. That's not something you forget once you've experienced it."

"It's a shame that you didn't get to spend more time with him. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm going to see him again soon, and Big Mac, and Applebloom, and my parents, of course."

Twilight nodded and smiled. "And I'm sure they're all waiting to see you, too."

"Shucks, now I'm sad."

"Oh, I'm sorry my friend, I should have asked you such a question."

"No, no, it's not about that. I'm sad for you."

"For me?"

"Yeah, I'm going soon and I'll get to see all our friends. I bet Pinkie is going to throw a party and we'll get together and have fun. Maybe Rarity would finally have created the perfect outfits for us and we'll wear them at the party. It'll be nice to talk to Fluttershy now that she's not so shy anymore and she has more free time, not having to take care of a family and all. And Rainbow will just be there, being awesome as always. But you, you'll never get to see them again, and I'll never get to see you again."

"We don't know that for sure. But even if that's the case, someone needs to stay around and take care of your family. I mean, look at how many foals, grandcfoals, and great-grandfoals Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Shy Flower had."

"You know, I love all those foals like they were my own."

"Well, you certainly took care of them as if they were. And you kept the farm running all by yourself when everybody moved out. That was a lot of hard work for just one mare."

"Yeah, but I wanted my foals to have education and to follow their own calls. Don't get me wrong, I loved the farm and I got my cutie mark because of it, but it's not for everypony. It's a lot of hard work in the sun and the trees never give you a day off. I want my foals to have a better life than mine."

"That's where you're wrong my friend. Your life is one of the most beautiful and wonderful I've known."

"That's very sweet of you to say. And you take care of my farm, will you?"

"I will. Thank you for leaving it to me. I still think it should go to one of your family members instead."

"Which one? The one that came everyday to help me? What's his name? Applenopony?"

"Ok, you got me there."

"I'm sure you'll take care of it while you find a good use for it."

"I don't know. I might just hire someone to keep the apple trees as they are, even if they aren't harvested."

"That'd be as good a use as anything."

Twilight stood up, approached the bed, and embraced Applejack.

"I love you, my friend."

"And I love you too, Twi. Can I ask you a favor?"

"Anything you want."

"When I die, can you make sure they make me wear my old hat in the casket?"

Twilight walked up to a closed in the bedroom, opened it and took an old, worn cowboy hat from it.

"Why wait? You might as well wear it now," she said as she placed it on Applejack's head.

Applejack's smile grew wider. "Thanks Twi, you're the bestest."

*****

"A message for you, Princess."

Twilight looked up from the parchment on the desk that she had installed in her temporary office in Applejack's house. She took the envelope that her assistant, a white Pegasus named Looby Hooves with a muffin cutie mark, handed her. He didn't have magical breath like Spike's but he could fly relatively fast between Ponyville and Canterlot.

"Thank you, Looby. You can go back to the castle now."

Lobby gave a little bow and left. Twilight broke the royal stamp that sealed the letter and read it.

Princess Twilight,

I hope you are doing fine. I am writing to let you know that I've decided to take Flurry Heart as my new pupil and she will be moving to Canterlot to live in my castle. I'm sorry to deny your request to have her live with you but as you must be aware from the months that she stayed with you, she just doesn't have the discipline or talent that you had and needs closer guidance than what your duties can offer. I've already gotten permission from Princess Cadance and Flurry Heart herself is looking forward to living here. Both of them are going to Manehattan to get new outfits for her before coming here. Of course, you'll be able to visit Flurry Heart, provided that your visits don't interfere with her studying schedule.

On another matter, please keep me informed of Applejack's condition. I would like to visit her but I fear my presence would cause unnecessary commotion in town and affect her already weak condition negatively. Despite what you may think, I care deeply for my subjects, even more so those who have been my Bearers of the Elements of Magic. When Applejack's time comes, I would like to come and give a small speech, but I don't know if it would be appropriate. You are closer to her family than I am and I would appreciate your advice in this delicate matter.

Yours Truly, Princess Celestia.

Twilight crumbled the paper and threw it in the garbage can. She sighted and continued working.

It was almost dawn when the nurse that Twilight had hired to take care of Applejack came into the office.

"Princess Twilight, I think it's time."

Twilight got up from her chair and followed the nurse. She went into the bedroom and saw her friend. Applejack was quiet. It was hard to see her chest going up and down as she slowly breathed.

"She has been sleeping all night long, but her breathing and her pulse have gone way down. I don't think there's any point in trying to wake her up," said the nurse.

Twilight approached the bed and touched her friend's hoof. "Good-bye, my friend."

Applejack lips curled up a bit, almost imperceptibly. She gave then her final breath. She was 102 years old. Outside the window, a beautiful day broke.

*****

Applejack was buried in Sweet Apple Acres, just like she had asked. Her funeral was simple and over two dozen ponies, plus their foals showed up. Shy Flower said a few words for her aunt. Twilight found the small speech simple and sweet, nothing fancy or complex, much like Applejack.

At Twilight's advice, Princess Celestia made a short visit but gave no speech. The ruler of Equestria knew exactly what to say to the family and how long to stay, showing her good taste and tact. On the other hand, Flurry Heart wore a fancy dress that was more suited to a night club than a funeral. Twilight had to interrupt Flurry's talk of how handsome the young stallions at Manehattan were in order to tell her in no uncertain terms to take off her dress and behave appropriately . Twilight knew that Princess Celestia could have prevented Flurry from wearing such an outfit but she suspected Royal Alicorn was making a point.

Right before leaving, Princess Celestia got a few moments alone with Twilight, which she used to inform her that Princess Luna had visited Applejack the night before and they had said good-bye to each other.

"Since Princess Luna had said good-bye already, she didn't feel the need to come," said Princess Celestia.

"I understand."

"I will be leaving now, as per your suggestion. I know that you may want to talk about Flurry Heart, but this is not the occasion for it."

"Thank you for taking my opinion into account. I think it made a difference for the family, but you don't have to leave so soon."

"Maybe not, but I need to be alone for a while," said Princess Celestia, avoiding Twilight's eyes. "You see, when you are the leader of Equestria and so many ponies look up to you, it's advisable not to be seen crying."

Before Twilight could answer, Princess Celestia extended her powerful wings and flew away. Her guards were caught by surprise and ran as discreetly as they could to get Flurry Heart in the Royal Carriage.

Once Princess Celestia and Flurry Heart were gone, the ambience of the funeral became more relaxed, just like Twilight had predicted. The day was beautiful and it was hard to stay sad or to leave. Slowly, the ponies sat around under the apple trees and talked about Applejack, but also about their plans, jobs, relationships, and foals. Eventually, some of them brought out food and cooking utensils from the house. Foals ran around while stallions and mares had something to eat and engaged in friendly and simple conversations. Twilight found it touching that the funeral was so full of life. Above them, the sun shone beautifully over the top of the apple trees while a nice breeze made the day even more delightful.

*****

"Any more cake, Princess Twilight?" asked Apple Pie as she offered a plate to Twilight, who was sitting by herself at a table.

"No, thank you, Apple Pie, I'm full. But congratulations on the birth of your grandfoal. You're a grandmother now!"

"I know. Just between you and me, I wish the girl had finished school before getting pregnant. I'm a bit worried about that."

Twilight looked tenderly at Applebloom's daughter. Apple Pie was now 60 years old and her hair showed a few threads of silver already. Her fur was orange like her late aunt and she had worked for years as a pie baker, not very different from the party pony she was named after. Twilight knew that Apple Pie was looking for a bit of wisdom from her. She had slowly realized that ponies came to her not because she was a princess or an Alicorn, but because she had experience and had seen many facets of life.

"There is no need to worry at all. No matter what happens, everything is going to be alright, one way or the other. I learned that from your aunt, you know?"

"Oh, did you? I still miss her. I should have spent more time with her. She was such a great mare."

"Indeed, she was. I miss her too."

"Also, thank you for giving a job to Anansi. It's ridiculously hard for a zebra to get a job in Ponyville. Do you think he'll be up to it? He has no idea of how to run a farm."

"He's a good stallion and he truly loves your grand daughter. He and Apple Shy will run the farm as well as Big Mac and Applejack did. And if they don't know something, they can always look for it in a book at my castle or ask me for advice. Do not tell them, but if they do as good of a job, I'll let them have Sweet Apple Acres in a few years."

"That's very generous of you. I really appreciate all that you're doing for my family."

"Well, you're my family too, in a way. And I'll do it only if they prove to be worthy of the place. I promised to Applejack to take care of the farm, after all."

"Of course, I understand. Thank you very much for your words, Princess Twilight. I feel more relieved now. Do you mind if I go see if the other guests are ok?"

"Sure, go ahead. You know what? Leave the cake here. I changed my mind."

"Sure. If you need anything else let me know."

Twilight watched all the young foals run and play around as she ate her cake. They reminded her of her own foalhood, tucked away at home, always with her head in a book. The foals around, in contrast, were as varied and colorful as the characters in the stories she had read, each one with distinct personalities.

Twilight noticed a young blue colt that made the adults laugh with sarcastic impersonations and biting comebacks. Not far from him, a young orange unicorn pretended to take care of her stuffed animals. Her tone of voice was strong and she was making certain that no breaches of discipline would be tolerated and they'd better follow her rules if those animals knew what was good for them. Almost outside of the circle of ponies, a young and shy pink pegasus also played with her stuffed toys in absolute silence, dressing them in rags that she obviously thought were the fanciest and most elegant of dresses. And in the middle of everything, there was the baby of Apple Shy and Anansi, a baby zorse, the very first of his kind in Equestria, who would grow up in an apple farm, bucking trees and working hard.

A light pull on her wing shook Twilight out of her observations. She turned around to find a young red Earth colt, who was known for both his racing skills and his quiet, stoic demeanor. He had in his hoofs an old book that was open to show a page with an old picture of a blue Pegasus with rainbow colored hair.

"Excuse me, Princess Twilight," said the colt, not without some nervousness in his voice. "But I'm a big fan of Rainbow Dash and my mom told me that you actually knew her. Is this true? Can you tell me a bit about her?" He looked at Twilight with big eyes.

Twilight patted the chair next to her, indicating the colt to sit down. "It's true, I really knew her. She was the most awesome pony in Equestria. Let me tell you all about her. Did you know that she rediscovered the Sonic Rainboom all by herself when she was just a little filly?"

The colt jumped on the chair and said "Really? Please tell me more, Princess Twilight."

Twilight thought a bit and then smiled "Sure. But it's Twilight, just Twilight. No more of this Princess business."

Author's Note:

I finally finished it. I hope you liked it. It was a lot of hard work and I'm proud of my story. I learned a lot about writing while doing this fanfic.

I want art for a cover, but I don't know what image to ask for. If you have an idea, please PM me.

I also want to make a voiced version of the story. If you're interested in providing the voice for one character, please let me know. So far, I have someone to play Applejack, and maybe someone to play Discord.

Thank you very much for reading all of it. I really appreciate it. Love you all.

Comments ( 26 )

That is a nice ending. I would have liked to see Twilight confront Celestia about the accusations that Discord leveled against her. Still it is a good ending as we see possible new bearers appear.

So this is the end? Well... it was a wild emotional ride. A good end for a very good story.
Thank you for sharing this story with us.

8320171
I wanted to let that part somewhat unresolved for two reasons. First, chess moves between eternal beings take a long time and they are in no hurry to solve them. Second, I think it's better for the reader to image their own conclusion.

In any case, I want to thank you for reading my fanfic. I really appreciate it.

8320345
On the contrary, thank you for reading it. It means a lot to me.

I literally cried. Very touching story. Well done.

8322120
You're the fifth one I think, at least from the ones that I know. I'm now thinking of putting a counter.

Anyway, thank you for reading my story and spending your time on it and commenting. That means a lot to me.

8322279
:rainbowwild: you're welcome. Truly great work here. Definitely worth the sadness. Hope to read more from you in the future. :)

8324602
Oh, I don't know. I think you'll be surprised. 😉

Overall, it was a good story! Great!
However, for one I'm a heartless monster and didn't cry at all.
Second, it felt to me like the characters, except for Twilight, acted out of character.
Third. I felt like Pinkie, while she would act crazy, wouldnt start doing drug overdoses.
Finally, the skipping around made me very confused. I wasn't sure what or where the timeline was.
It was a good story, not my cup of tea, but good job. Definitely deserves an upvote.

8325228
Well, thank you very much for reading it.

The part about Pinkie Pie is something that is commonly pointed out. However, it seems like it's a "should" thing. Like it shouldn't be that way. In my experience, alcoholism and addition has no limits and no one is immune from it. But that's just my interpretation. On the other hand, others haven't had a problem with it. Like all fanfics, you have to choose a position and you're not going to please everypony.

Thanks for the upvote and the comment, and again, for reading it.

Very touching story. I'm sorry to say I didn't she'd any tears but I think I used them all up writing one of my own stories. Five out of five horseshoes. :scootangel:

Guess Twilight isn't going to be Celestia's bitch anymore.

8327835
Yes, it's a sad story. And thank you for helping me. Did you read all of it or just chapter 4?

I was thinking that if you want a bigger part, you may want to do Big Mac too. He's in chapter 3. It's not like I wrote Spike's part minor on purpose, it just happened that way. Or Margarita's, for that matter.

Are you studying voice acting by any chance?

8326201
Thank you very much for reading it, I'm glad you liked it.

Wow, five horseshoes out of five! I'm flattered.

:moustache:And he became a leader of his own dragon clan . . . . .Margaritaville and he wasted away.

:trollestia: And now I'm the bad guy?
:twilightangry2: thanks for the M A Larson extras
:duck: YOUR SUN gave me cancer
:pinkiesick: Your goofy mane drove me to drink
:fluttershysad: I popped like a balloon giving birth, I think I did, I hope I didn't leave too big a mess, If you didn't mind that is???
:applejackconfused: I WANTED BURRIED IN MY APPLE CART - What do you mean it wasn't in my will?
:rainbowlaugh:wham bam thank you mam - what was left of me you could pour into one of Raritys thimbles
:derpytongue2: that was one muffin of a story

:facehoof: beats what happens to Prince Blue Blood...
orig13.deviantart.net/43ec/f/2017/237/6/b/got_mine_too_by_hillbe-dblbxqj.jpg
:moustache: yeah I had something to do with that. :pinkiehappy:

8399396
Now the fic is finally finished. Thanks for reading and making me smile.

8399773
:trollestia: Now I'll wait for your next adventure . . .:pinkiehappy:


orig05.deviantart.net/6b0b/f/2016/233/0/9/flash_dragon_ii_by_hillbe-daet9tl.jpg

:flutterrage: Angel Bunny? STOP THAT RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

8520698
Oh my. Well, I warn you it's very bittersweet.

Okay, time for some serious talk.

I would be lying if I said I enjoyed this story. However, I do think you have talent, albeit unpolished. Normally I don't even bother to comment on stories I don't really like, but I think it might be worthwhile to leave my thoughts here in the hopes of nudging you along a little bit further.

You know the words and you use them well. However, even as a purely emotional piece, this story is... crude. That's really the only way I can describe it: It lacks subtlety. It is mainly Twilight suffering a parade of unfortunate but not dramatically meaningful losses, and you are basically hitting us over the head with it. If your goal was to make me sad, let alone have me crying, then I regret to say you failed. It will take more than a few fictional characters dropping dead to move me. If your goal was just to make me feel something, then you succeeded in the sense that it basically put me in a bit of a bad mood.

Being a writer of fiction is, ultimately, an art of manipulating the feelings of others. We tell people beautiful lies and make them love us for it. We are tricksters, stage magicians, conmen. But like any good con, it only works when you can convince the mark that they are in control. You have to make the readers want feel what you want them to feel. If they can tell they are being manipulated, the trick won't work and the illusion fails.

Like I said before, chapter four is the best one since it actually has the makings of a decent plot. Unfortunately you didn't actually go anywhere with that, which is especially disappointing since you decided to make Celestia some kind of pseudo-villain. I'm rather fond of Celestia so I don't like the practice of turning her into a heartless Machiavellian antagonist, but I can tolerate it you at least do it for a valid reason. Alas, you didn't: You could have kept Celestia as the same benevolent, wise and genuinely kind ruler she is in canon and it would not have changed the story much at all. If anything I believe it could have tempered the unrelenting gloom, making it sweeter and easier to swallow.

Throughout all this I can kinda see what you were trying to do, however telling a story is more than "having things happen" (yes, even Slice of Life) and telling a sad story is more than just subjecting your character to misery and despair. Sorrow is at its most powerful when it is beautiful, and words become stories when they have something meaningful to say. As I said, you show promise, so I think you will be able to learn this.

Ah, but now I feel like writing. For what it's worth, all this destruction you've wrought has left me with the desire to create something.

8604952
Hi,

First and foremost, I want to thank you for reading through the whole thing. It's not a short story and you invested your time.

I read your feedback and I will take it into consideration. This story was a vehicle for me to express a lot of things and to improve my writing. I learned a lot from it. It's also been a hate it-love it story, interestingly enough. It has made some people feel upset, whereas others loved it, and some in between. I try to get each reader's point of view to improve.

Honestly, I have no more to add. What you get from my story is what you get and I have no business telling you what to take from the story. I do appreciate the advice and I'll think about it. In a way, I'm glad it made you feel upset, because at least it made you feel something. I also hope you sincerely wanted to read until the end and didn't drag yourself just for the sake of completeness. Also, thanks for the complement.

I like that it also made you feel like creating. Finally, thank you once again for reading my story. It means a lot to me.

8605062

In a way, I'm glad it made you feel upset, because at least it made you feel something.

Anything is better than indifference, I suppose. Still, the real artistry lies in trying to predict how your readers will feel and writing your story accordingly. This is one of those intuitive parts of writing that can't really be taught, you just have to develop a feeling for it.

Also, my annoyance was mainly in response to how you wrote the story, as opposed to what you wrote. There's a difference between me getting mad at Celestia, the character, and getting mad at Celestia's characterization. Some readers may not make that distinction, of course - since I'm a writer myself, I tend towards a more meta perspective on these things.

I also hope you sincerely wanted to read until the end and didn't drag yourself just for the sake of completeness.

Well, I don't know about sincerity, but I did want to know how it all ended even if I wasn't enjoying myself. Take that as you will.

8606794
I hear you. I will definitely take your words into account for the future. Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and read my story.

8768988
Well, I hope you liked it.

I just want to congratulate you on a well written tale, and I've left a review here for your perusal.

Thank you for sharing this story with all of us!

Login or register to comment