• Published 2nd Mar 2017
  • 3,532 Views, 84 Comments

Dusk and Dawn - PinkFluffyAlex



Dusk Shine is rather surprised to find himself in the bedroom of one Twilight Sparkle, just after the 1000th Summer Sun Celebration. Shenanigans, guitar solos, and demon forms ensue.

  • ...
23
 84
 3,532

S1C1 - Friend Like Me

As Dusk woke up the next morning, he could smell breakfast. A breakfast that was familiar in a way that made him mumble a few words from his place on the library’s floor. (Twilight hadn’t gotten a sofa from Sofa and Quills yet, so Dusk had just piled a bunch of blankets on the floor and called it good. Twilight was too tired to say or do anything different.)

Dusk smiled. “Good morning, Barb.” He frowned. Barb? That wasn’t right. Dusk sat up in his bed, quickly glancing around himself. When he saw the interior of the Golden Oaks Library, he was even more confused, but last night’s memories soon caught up with him, so he smiled. Spike was making breakfast, not Barb. He chuckled. Barb would probably crush it anyway. When had Barb last made breakfast? Not for... a while. His smile dropped.

Dusk decided that those thoughts could wait until later, so he stood up, looked himself over while smoothing his coat, then took a breath. He made his way to the kitchen, where Spike the baby dragon was indeed making breakfast. “Hey, good morning.”

Spike, caught off guard by the sudden and unfamiliar voice, tried to wield his frying pan as a weapon against the intruder, but only managed to throw a fried egg into Dusk’s magical grasp. Spike blinked for a moment, his mind trying to put the Twilight-but-not-Twilight pieces together. “Twilight? Did you turn into a stallion?”

Dusk facehoofed. “Oh my gosh, no, sorry. I just realized: I haven’t introduced myself!” He held out a hoof. “I’m Dusk Shine! I’m a version of Twilight from an alternate universe. I kinda fell out of the sky last night, during the party. You were dead asleep.”

Spike raised a brow but shrugged it off. Twilight had done some crazy things with magic before, like that quesadilla monster and the time she raised an army of skeletons from some of his baby teeth. “Alright. Well, there’s a few pancakes over there and eggs are almost done.” They looked at the egg that was still floating in the air. Dusk sheepishly dropped it into Spike’s pan as his hoof fell back to the floor.

“Thanks.” Dusk almost grabbed a plate but decided to wait. “Has Twilight come down yet, or is she upstairs?”

“She’s still upstairs. Hey, does she know you’re... here?” Spike looked back at Dusk as he dropped a fried egg off his pan.

Dusk chuckled, then ran a hoof down the side of his face. “Yeah... I made quite a bit of a racket when I landed. She was just going to sleep." He blinked. "How did you not wake up?"

"Eh, I'm a heavy sleeper."

They were silent for a while. Dusk offered to help, so Spike had him grab some gem dust to mix into the extra pancake mix. Dusk made the pancakes just how Spike wanted them, to his surprise. It wasn’t until they had sat down at the kitchen table with eggs, pancakes, and glass of milk that they began asking questions.

Spike set down his fork, then let out a small burp and a green ember. “So, Dusk, how did you even get here in the first place? Did you teleport wrong or did some kind of spell collapse?”

Dusk looked up from his own meal, shook his head, then swallowed. “I’m not actually sure how I ended up here. The spell I had just cast went off perfectly, without any kind of hitch. And then I was on Twilight’s floor.” He shrugged. “It’s one of the many things I want to figure out while I’m here.”

“Huh. Well, I hope you figure it out. I’ve seen Twilight get weird results from her spells; it drives her crazy trying to figure out what happened.” Dusk and Spike both laughed.

“Hey Spike, can I get a favor from you real quick?”

Spike nodded. “Cool. I need to send a letter to Celestia.” Spike asked why. “I have a project I want to get started on as long as I’m here. I don’t want to get in anypony’s way, so I’m going to find ways to keep myself busy and somewhat out of the picture.”

“Oh. Okay then, let me just go grab my writing stuff.” Spike jumped off his chair, then made for the staircase.

“I’ve actually got a quill and paper handy.” Dusk frowned. ”At least I’ve still got a pocket.”

There was a white flash of light, which faded to reveal a very strange looking quill and a paper with quality beyond what Spike had ever seen. The quill was obviously pony-sized, though it’s owner must have been a massive pegasus. It was lavender, with a dark purple then magenta gradient at its tip. The paper was perfectly rectangular, perfectly white, and perfectly flat. Spike whistled at its quality.

“Where’d you get a quill and paper like this? I’ve never seen a pegasus wing with this kind of pattern. The closest thing I can think of is the colors on Princess Celestia’s feathers. Twilight would kill for stacks of paper like this.” Spike blinked. “Wait, you didn’t get an ink bottle.”

Dusk smiled, then tapped the quill to the paper. A dot of blue ink appeared on the sheet. Spike whistled. “Twilight would kill for that spell.”

Dusk chuckled. "Not a spell, actually. If you twist the nib, it reveals an ink resivoir inside of the pen! It was something I thought of, a while back. Canterlot scholars scrambled to get the prototypes. Try the pen on that paper, there was a company in my world that made it."

Spike reverently took the quill and paper, then scribbled a bit on the corner of the paper. His eyes widened. “Wow, it’s like writing on glass.” He looked up at Dusk. “Anyways, what did you want to write to the Princess?”

“Actually, that’s private. Sorry, but I’m gonna have to write this one.” Dusk took the materials back as Spike pouted. Dusk took some time writing on the paper in a very small handwriting, which he still managed to fill the paper with. When he was done, he signed his name at the bottom, blinked, then scribbled a part out. “Alright, that’s ready to go,” Dusk declared as he folded the paper up. He held it out to Spike, who grabbed it, ran his claws over it, then sent it away with a small flame.

It was at this moment that Twilight came downstairs, rubbing her eyes. She walked into the kitchen, then waved to the two others. “Hey Spike, hey...” She glared at Dusk for a moment. “Oh, so you are real. I was hoping that you were some kind of hallucination caused by my lack of sleep.”

Dusk laughed. “Nope, you’re stuck with me. If it helps, though, I’ve just asked Celestia to let me know when it's best to let me into the Starswirl Wing of the Royal Library. I’m going to get a research project going that will probably keep me out of your mane.”

Twilight straightened up, immediately and completely awake. “Princess Celestia gave you access to the Starswirl Wing!? What on Equus would you need to get in there for?” She blinked. “Why would the Princess give you permission? You’re a stranger and I’m her most faithful student. I don’t even have access!”

Her rant was cut short by Spike burping out a small trail of smoke. It then solidified into a scroll bearing the royal seal. “See! She’s probably already changed her mind!”

Dusk opened it up, read through it, then smiled. “Perfect. She wants me to meet her in Canterlot this afternoon to let me in, since I’m kinda not an Equestrian citizen here so I’m not in the registry, you know?”

Dusk stood up from the table, dropping his dishes into the sink as he went. Twilight’s eyes twitched, and a few hairs came out of place.

Author's Note:

So I am aware that Twi and Spike have just moved into another house, and there probably wouldn't be gem dust, eggs, and pancake mix readily available.

However, I personally subscribe to the headcanon that Celestia had the library prepared with the foods that were in their last home in order to make their transition as comfortable as possible, so Twilight could focus on friends. I think she intended for Twilight to stay in Ponyville all along.

Stuff is happening now! Dusk has multiple projects that he is going to be working on. Some are going to be more public than others.

Cover art by the wonderful Mix-Up!

Here's his Deviantart page.