• Published 28th Feb 2017
  • 858 Views, 8 Comments

So Close to the Edge - DerpiusHoovicus2



Vinyl struggles with suicide

  • ...
0
 8
 858

The Ground Below Awaits

Octavia was on her walk home from rehearsal with the Canterlot Philharmonic when she saw something peculiar up on her apartment complex’s rooftop. She had lived here for quite some time and had never noticed whatever it was. Upon closer inspection she realized it wasn’t a decoration but a pony. They sat with their legs hanging off of the edge of the building, swinging them back and forth. It was rather chilly out so Octavia decided to go inside and investigate further.

She entered the lobby and a warm gust of air grazed against her coat. She shivered off the cold and headed toward the elevator. The stallion inside was lanky but had a tough build.

“Good evening Miss Octavia.” He said in his usual soft and smooth tone. He already knew her floor due to months of working his shift. The fourth floor button lit up after the stallion pressed it. “How was your rehearsal?” He said starting a conversation.

“It was fine, thank you. How has your evening been?” Since he had the late shift it varied between crowded and lonely. He didn’t seem to mind but the elevator music set on a loop had to have gotten annoying at some point or another.

“It’s been slow, but I can always count on you to brighten it up for me.” The elevator pony said with a wide smile. He seemed so lonely at times. Octavia responded with a smile and a nod before turning to the door. It made a ding and pulled open.

They shared their good byes and Octavia made her way to the other side of the hall. She pushed open the metal door and stepped into the stone room with stairs to the roof. The temperature dropped and she shivered slightly.

Step by step she made it to the door to the roof and nudged it open. “Hello? I thought I saw somepony up here.” She called out. There was no response but she saw a pony sitting on the edge of the roof. The pony had an all white coat, and their mane and tail a couple shades of electric blue.

“Vinyl? Whatever are you doing up here?” Octavia called to her roommate. Usually Vinyl Scratch had a DJ event at this time, so Octavia was concerned why she was on the roof.

“H-Hey Octy. I’m just thinkin’ is all.” Vinyl’s voice was cracking in each word, one could feel the sadness as she spoke. “I-I’m f-fine, don’t worry about me.” Octavia could obviously tell she was not fine. She had lost all of her spunk and pizzazz, she sounded… empty.

“I have made it my job to worry about you. You should know this, you are always getting in trouble and I have to get you out. So tell me, what’s wrong?” Octavia sat near Vinyl, all of her hooves on the solid roof however. From here she could make out the tears staining her friends face, leaking through her pink goggles.

“Heh, thanks. You always have been there for me. When I let you be.” This thoroughly confused Octavia. Every time Vinyl had gotten into something Octavia would get her out. Then she realized.

She had never seen her cry. All those times she wore a huge smile as if nothing at all was wrong.

“I’ve been here so many times Octy. Every time I’m a little closer to doing it. Who would even miss me? I mean sure people would miss DJ-Pon3, but what about me. I’m just a waste of space. What’s the point of living if I mean nothing? Everypony just mocks me or pushes me around, what’s one less punching bag? I came to live with you because my parents kicked me out, not because I left to make something of my life. They hated me, all they cared about was making money. They didn’t want me, I’m just evidence that birth control doesn’t always work.” Vinyl was in full blown tears now while Octavia sat with small traces of water in her eyes.

“Oh Vinyl, I had no idea. I am so sorry.” Octavia attempted to console her friend but to no avail.

“That was the idea. I didn’t want anypony pitying me, so I kept it hidden.” Vinyl was still crying, but was trying to comfort her friend as well. “Look I’ve made you cry, just me making more mistakes. Sorry, I shouldn’t have told you this. Go inside, and you won’t have to see me again.” It was freezing cold in the light of the moon, Octavia wanted to warm up but couldn’t abandon her suicidal friend.

“Vinyl, please stop. I would be lost without you, you mean more to me than I let on. I have used you as my inspiration to smile when I feel my worst. It may not be much, but I do not want to lose you. I cannot imagine living without you, although you are brash and make mistakes, I always enjoy digging you out of your hole. It makes me feel… alive. Especially that time you started the waffles on fire. Somehow you managed to start waffle batter on fire, but I needed that. I have lived such a safe and introverted life, you pull me away from that. I was nothing without you Vinyl, and I do not want to be nothing again.” Both friends were in tears now, crying for each other on the cold rooftop under the blanket of stars.

“Eh, It was getting cold anyway. Wanna head inside and warm up?” Vinyl said after they finished crying. She pulled her legs away from the ledge and stood up with her hoof toward Octavia. Octavia grabbed her hoof and pulled herself up. They moved quickly into the door and down the steps.

They made their way to the apartment and went inside. Immediately Octavia was swept up in a hug. “Thank you so much.” Vinyl whispered, her voice was coated in tears. Octavia returned her hug, and they sat like that for nearly 20 minutes. Vinyl was still crying slightly but Octavia would always be there to wipe her tears. She always had been.

From that point on, Vinyl never returned to the roof.

Author's Note:

Hope you got what you thought you would. Any feedback is appreciated, especially negative, I want to become a better writer and every little thing helps. Thanks for reading this little one-shot. ~:derpyderp2:

Comments ( 8 )

This can be a hard topic to handle. But you did a good job. Nicely done. :twilightsmile:

Not bad, and it's good to see friends being cheered by one another.

7985897
Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read it and writing a comment. ~:derpyderp2:

7986856
That's what friends are for, no?

7987258 Thanks, and may God go with you :twilightsmile:

could be longer but not bad. it did feel rushed.

7996430
Yeah, I still need to work on making things longer. It probably felt rushed because I was trying to get a story out before the weekend was over, at like 19:00. Thanks for the feedback! ~:derpyderp2:

I read this story a while ago, and I remember thinking that it was very well done. The composition and basic plot structure is good and easy to follow. And, of course, the character development (at least this take on the characters) is realistic and makes the reader feel as though they are there on that rooftop with them. It makes them think about what they would do in that situation, or perhaps even about what they have done. I almost find it worrying that your depiction of suicidal thought can be so impressive, and I absolutely support you. True, I have a few gripes. The pacing is a bit fast, as others have said, the characters themselves didn't always feel like themselves, even when not referring to the elephant in the room. Overall, I think it is a very good story with only a few wrinkles, and I look forward to seeing your writing in the future!

Login or register to comment