• Published 5th Apr 2020
  • 1,913 Views, 167 Comments

Button Mash! Master of the Arcade Arts! - Clockworklich



Button Mash wakes one day with the Gamer ability. Ready to embark on epic quests, as soon as he finishes his homework.

  • ...
4
 167
 1,913

Let's Get This Party Started.

Tides of Darkness!
Prepare for the first world event.

Attain your first class and gain 5 levels in it. o
Attain a weapon of common rank or higher. o
Get one stat to 50. o
(Optional)Get multiple stats to 50. ooooo

Rewards

1,000xp
1 random loot box

Bonus rewards

New Trait.

Level Up!
Class Level Up!

Scanning soul.
Loading.....
Core found.
Loading.....
Adjusting for skills and desires.
Loading.....
Upgrading for maximum potential.
Loading.....
Reinforcing soul.
Loading.....
Complete!

Congratulations! You got your Cutie Mark!

Gamer Crafting.

1,000% increase to the toughness of creations based on video games.

Creations based on video games lose toughness 50% slower.

Creations based on video games no longer suffer from debuffs.

All effects such as damage, healing, or buffs of video game based creations increase by 200%.

Crafting skills get +200% XP when creating an item based on video games.

Creating video game items takes half the time to build.

Video game-based consumables have a 50% chance of spawning a copy when created.

There are few things that could draw a young pony's attention away from an evil supervillain when they're monologuing. It just so happens that getting a cutie mark is high on that list. Eyes widening Button turned his head to look at his flank. On it, he saw a video game cabinet like from an arcade, except that the front part under the controls was open with gears and pistons inside. There was also a prize slot on the side like from a claw machine that was spitting out a bob-omb from the Mareio games, Dr. Robotic's Egg mobile that he's always flying around in when fighting Sonic Hooves, and a health potion.

"I know who you are!" The lavender pony that was with the dragon exclaimed. "You're-"

"My flank!" Button Mash cried out in joy.

"She is?" Pinkie Pie asked as she looked between Button and the black alicorn. "Wow, Button you lost so much weight!"

"Did you just call me fat!?" The alicorn demanded.

"Well, isn't that what ponies shed when they're losing pounds?" Pinkie asked innocently. This broke some of the tension in the room as some chuckles started spreading in the crowd.

"You dare mock me!? I am Nightmare Moon! Queen of the night!" The dark alicorn proclaimed while adding lightning for effect. This caused the crowd to gasp with recognition and fear. Smerking at the reaction of the crowd she was about to continue her speech when she was interrupted once again.

"You're the pony that keeps taking so much of our candy every nightmare night! No wonder you're so big!" Pinkie called out in an accusatory manner just before Applejack managed to grab Pinkie and forcefully hold the pink mare's mouth shut while continuing to hold on to Rainbow Dash's tail with her teeth. Not that it did anything to stop the laughter filling the room.

"Enough! I will not be mocked! I have brought you all night time eternal so that you may all bask in my works. But it appears that you all must first drown in terror before you can appreciate it. And supply the first soldiers in my army!" Nightmare Moon shouted as she charged up a spell. Button, as a gamer, recognized a charged attack to mean two things. One, get out of the way. Two, hit them while they're just standing there. He chose both options. While everypony was looking up at the charging spell Button pulled out a nerf gun from his inventory but from under a table sheet, just in case he was being watched, took aim, and fired at Nightmare Moon's horn. His high DEX stat served him well and the upgraded toy hit its target, disrupting the spell while at the same time the ball it fired broke open, covering Nightmare Moon's face with sneezing powder.

As soon as the shot had been fired Button decided that he should find someplace to hide for one very important reason.

Nightmare Moon
Forgotten Princess
Lv.💀💀💀💀

No way was he going to just stand there out in the open with a boss that's a high enough level to show 4 skulls. So he dove for cover under a table while keeping an eye out for if he needed to move or attack again.

Growling Nightmare Moon shook her head to try and get the powder off while once more attempting to cast the spell. But as it was charging the sneezing powder took effect and with a mighty sneeze, Nightmare Moon managed to launch herself out a back window while at the same time letting off a watered-down version of the spell. Rarity, who was on the balcony with the dark alicorn, was out of the line of fire. Twilight, being a powerful mage, managed to protect herself and the baby dragon with a shield spell. Pinkie Pie's famous Pinkie sense kicked in and she tackled Applejack and Rainbow Dash, who were with her, under a nearby table. Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo were already hiding under a table together, Fluttershy had also hidden under her own table as soon as Nightmare Moon showed up.

The rest of the ponies in the town hall were less fortunate and were hit with the dark magic, making them quickly fall to the floor and start snoring.

"What in the hay happened!?" AJ demanded when all of the lucky ponies who managed to avoid the spell stuck their heads out to look around.

"Button... where did you get that?" Sweetie asked as she pointed at his toy gun.

"That's my apprentice!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed as she scooped Button up in a hug while beaming with pride. "What a great prank gun!"

"Never mind," Sweetie said as she and all the others stopped questioning him pulling a sneeze gun out of nowhere as soon as they heard 'Pinkie's apprentice'. Anything else that might have been said went out the window when Twilight ran out the door. Suspicious, Rainbow quickly flew after her.

"Oh for the love of, Apple Bloom you stay here and keep hidden!" Applejack called back as she gave chase as well.

"You too Sweetie Belle," Rarity added as she followed.

"I'll just wait here and watch the kids if that's alright with eep!" Fluttershy's words were cut off as a passing Pinkie hopped under the flying mare, causing the yellow pegasus to grab on by reflex and with wide eyes, rode the bouncing earth pony out of the building.

"... So, I'm Spike. Nice to meet you." The baby dragon said to the group. While he got helloes from the others Button was thinking of a way to get out unnoticed. He didn't do all that grinding to sit on the sidelines after all.

"So, about that..." Spike began to ask as he pointed at Button's gun.

"Don't. Trust us, I don't know how Button can learn from Pinkie let alone learn how to do... pink stuff, but you don't want to ask questions about it." Scootaloo said while the other two fillies just nodded.

Event Quest!
Dream Catcher.

Defeat all Nightmares before they can stop the Elements of Harmony.
Waves: 0/10.
1 mini-boss.
1 Boss.
(Optional) Defeat Event Boss (Nightmare Moon).

Rewards.

10,000xp
1 random loot box for each wave defeated.
One loot chest for mini-boss.
One elite loot chest for boss.

Bonus rewards

100,000xp
One legendary loot chest.

As soon as he finished reading the new quest Button's attention was drawn to his mini-map where several little red dots started to appear. Looking in the direction of those dots he saw the sleeping ponies tossing and turning as some kind of black sand started falling off them. He watched as the black sand started to lift up while purple bolts of electricity started shooting around them and they started to take monstrous forms. Button Mash only had one thing to say about this.

"Oh dang."


"Achoo! Achoo! Achoo!" Nightmare Moon was sneezing herself through the air and was halfway back to Canterlot when she collected her thoughts enough to take on her mist form, allowing the sneezing powder to fall through her. Once that was done with she flew back to the small town just in time to see some ponies rushing into a treehouse. Slowly, Nightmare Moon slithered like a snake through the air towards the closest window.

"The Elements of Harmony, a reference guide." That gave the dark alicorn pause. Rather than bust in, She waited by the window, staying just out of sight to listen in on the conversation. Nightmare Moon was a little confused about what she learned. Why would Celestia just leave such important and powerful artifacts just sitting in the old castle? Whatever the reason she couldn't just leave them out there to be used against her. So Nightmare Moon left directly towards the old castle to search for them, breaking off a piece of herself to stop any who might go looking for them. Not long after Nightmare Moon left the six ponies that were inside the library departed towards the Everfree Forest.

"Pinkie darling... what are you wearing?" Rarity asked as she saw that at some point between when they were inside the library and now, Pinkie had dressed up in a green tunic with a matching green hat that would be in the shape of a cone if it weren't flopped over to the side.

"They're hero clothes silly." Pinkie answered.

"I'm afraid I'm not familiar with... this." Rarity said as she looked at Pinkie's outfit with disgust.

"Why would y'all even need them clothes for?" Applejack asked.

"Because we're on a quest to get some magic artifacts to defeat a dark lord." Pinkie replied like it was the most obvious thing in the world. None of the others had any kind of response for this so opted to drop it.


"What are you doing!? Run!" Sweetie shouted at Button. When they heard Button mash say 'oh dang' they followed his line of sight to see monsters taking form. When the others screamed and ran, Button pulled another gun from nowhere and started shooting. Unlike the one before, this one didn't shoot status effect ammo as he called them, but baseballs instead. The gun had two wheels that once he pulled the trigger started spinning at high speeds while balls were continuously pushed into it for rapid-fire.

"I'm covering your retreat just go!" Button shouted back without taking his eyes off the warped looking clown whose head he was turning into a smashed lump. After a few more headshots the clown gave one last demented laugh before breaking apart into particles of black sand.

Level UP!
Class Level Up!

Doing a quick reload, Button Moved on to the giant snake, he let loose with another shower of balls at its head. Dodging the snake's strike he realized too late that there was a giant bat flying right at him, its mouth open wide to sink its fangs into the currently airborne colt. Button was about to pull an airhorn from his inventory when the bat was chased off with a blast of green flames. Quickly taking aim and firing on the giant snake once more, Button spared a glance at the frightened but determined Spike that had joined him in battle.

"This is a bad idea!" Apple Bloom screamed while the 3 fillies charged in together to try and tackle a moving tree. When the three of them hit it the nightmare tree fell over and coughed up a glob of tree sap that landed on the fillies. Undeterred, Apple Bloom started bucking the tree's branches off while the other two just wailed on the now defenseless nightmare.

Finishing the snake while Spike watched his back, Button reloaded his weapon once more to finish this first wave. With a screech, the bat flew down at the fillies, causing Sweetie and Scootaloo to jump out of the way. Instead of aiming for the head, this time Button aimed for one of the wings. The shot managed to knock the bat to the ground head first while all of them save for Apple Bloom, who was still bucking the nightmare tree, ganged up on the bat. Enraged and in pain, the giant bat flailed around to get its attackers off of it. Seeing an opening, the bat managed to bite down on Sweetie Belle's hind leg and flung her across the room.

"Sweetie Belle!" Button cried out causing the bat to look at him and give out a screech. Something that Button took advantage of by shooting a ball down its throat where it got stuck, causing the bat to choke on it. They all then left the bat to choke to death and the tree to just lay there uselessly while they ran over to a crying Sweetie Belle. Without a second thought, Button quickly pulled out a health potion and put it to her mouth.

"Quick, drink this!" Button said as he tilted it up, causing Sweetie to chug the entire bottle. The wound on Sweetie Belle's leg almost instantly started glowing green with little particles floating off of them. Once the lights were gone, so were any signs that she had ever been hurt. Not even the blood that had already fallen to the floor remained. Carefully, Sweetie moved her leg to see that it was fine. Not even a little pain was felt. Slowly they all looked to Button Mash who just realized that in his rush to save Sweetie he forgot to use any slight of hoof and just pulled a potion out of thin air for all to see, not to mention that he produced a potion that instantly healed such a bad injury. Looking at their questioning gazes he tried to think of some way to salvage this situation. He could only think of one way.

"I'll tell you... But only if you make a Pinkie Promise to keep it secret." Spike had no idea why the three fillies suddenly got so tense. Sweetie was the first to make the promise to keep his secret, followed shortly by Scootaloo and Applebloom. All eyes now on Spike, the young dragon gave in to both peer pressure and his own curiosity and copied the motions of the others. Nodding, Button Mash decided to start by using a feature that he read about in the help list from the menu.

"Invite Sweetie Belle to party. Invite Scootaloo to party. Invite Applebloom to party. Invite Spike to party." With each invite, he saw the others flinch back in surprise at something he couldn't see. "Just accept the invitation, it will help."

Sweetie Belle has entered the game!
Scootaloo has entered the game!
Apple Bloom has entered the game!
Spike Sparkle has entered the game!

Eyes wide, the new players looked around at the names and levels floating over each other's heads. As this was happening Button Mash noticed that new red dots were starting to appear on his mini-map.

"Sorry but complete explanations will have to wait. The next wave just showed up!" Button called out as he dumped several of his creations on the ground for the others to chose from. Turning he saw what looked like Diamond Tiara in a ballerina outfit but where her face should be was a gaping mouth inside another mouth which was inside yet another mouth, all of which had sharp teeth. There was also a group of 4 ponies, two wearing fancy suits, and two in normal clothes, all of them wearing white masks that look like the faces of dolls. Next to them as a pale unicorn with no hair anywhere on his body. In his magic, he held a round puzzle, though the most attention-grabbing thing was the buzzsaw blades stuck in his head. Speaking of buzzsaws, the last one to take form was a robot that moved on 4 spider-like legs and had a buzzsaw tipped arm that came out of the top like a scorpion tail.

"Dibs on the robot." Button said as he put his ball gun away then took out a toy bazooka and shot it at the death machine. A foam rocket flew out of the weapon and hit the robot, peeling on contact to cover as much of the robot that it could and sticking to it. Then several overcharged joy buzzers that were built into the rocket let all of their electricity out at once doing major damage and inflicting a stunning debuff. Quickly taking some sunglasses from his inventory he put them on and smiled.

"You've just... been nerfed," Button said.

"How long have you been waiting to use that line?" Spike asked as he picked up a bat that covered every part of itself except the handle with electricity when the young dragon pushed a button.

"Since I saw the nerf guns in the toy store."

Author's Note:

I was going to end this chapter after giving the monster descriptions but went a little further because I wanted to make that nerf pun before anyone could make it in the comments.