• Published 5th Apr 2020
  • 1,912 Views, 167 Comments

Button Mash! Master of the Arcade Arts! - Clockworklich



Button Mash wakes one day with the Gamer ability. Ready to embark on epic quests, as soon as he finishes his homework.

  • ...
4
 167
 1,912

Hickory Dickory Dock, Button Works Around the Clock.

INT+1
...
INT+1
...
INT+1

Button had to admit, Pinkie Pie was a good teacher. She was thorough in her lesson, explaining everything twice, first in the complicated way, then the dumbed-down version to make sure he could understand. She also knew how to make a lesson impossible to not focus on. No matter how repetitive it got this way. Pinkie froze in her lesson when there was a knock on her door.

"Pinkie, what's going on in there? You brought a colt up to your room three hours ago and have been singing nonstop ever since." Mr. Cake asked through the door. That's right, Pinkie had sung every part of the lesson, changing costume every time she changed the style of music from all sorts of levels from various video games. Even using different items that players can get from video games as well as dungeon traps and mechanisms as examples.

"Just teaching my new apprentice!" Pinkie called back cheerfully.

"Well it will be time for dinner soon and I'm sure his parents will get worried if he's out too late... They do know that he's here right Pinkie?" Mr. Cake asked in concern.

"Nope." Pinkie replied in a tone that made it clear that she saw nothing wrong with this.

"...Pinkie... Just... take him home and talk with his parents about this apprentice thing. We'll keep your plate ready for you." Mr. Cake said in exasperation.

"Okey-Dokey-Lokey!" Pinkie replied before turning back to Button Mash. "So, any questions before we go?" Button had so many questions, few of them even having anything to do with the subject matter. A shame he didn't have the time.

"A few, first I gotta know. I'm sitting in front of your door, blocking the only way in and out of this room. Where did those backup singers come from and where did they go?" Button asked.

"Backstage silly. They're probably in their dressing rooms." Pinkie replied without missing a beat. Button just gave a confused look at this before once more looking around the room. Deciding to just ignore it for the sake of his sanity points Button went back to the subject he was there for.

"Where can I get parts and tools to start making my own gadgets?" Button asked. He wanted to get a few levels in it before leveling up if he can help it. Even with that timer hanging over his head it went against his nature as a gamer to not squeeze out every point he could get.

"I'll tell you later. I'll give you parts and tools to practice with while I watch." Pinkie gave a cheery reply before hopping over to her closet and fishing out a box and tossing it to land in front of Button.

"My first robot minion?" Button exclaimed when he read what was on it. Pinkie just snorted and giggled at his reaction.

"Yep! This toy was what I used when I started out. It comes with parts you can click together, a wind-up motor and a book with schematics for different toy robots you can make with them. Oh, but don't worry, the word minion may make them sound like bad guys but they won't actually try to hurt you. At least, they never tried to hurt me. But I always threw each one a little party before taking them apart to make another. Maybe you should throw the mini robots some mini parties just to be safe." Pinkie said with a smile.

"Sure, they'll probably like hanging with my action figures... I think." Button said in uncertainty.

"Great! Oh, you can make a cake out of legos! And you'll need some balloons!" At this exclamation, Pinkie pulled a bag of balloons from... somewhere and put it on top of the robot box. "Anyways, let's get you home." Pinkie said as she flipped the box onto her back and went trotting out the door.

"So, what kind of cool gadgets are you going to teach me first?" Button asked excitedly as he followed her out.


"Mom, I'm home! And I brought somepony who needs to talk to you!" Button called out as he opened the front door to his house. Pinkie took this time to slide the box off her back and on to Button's.

"Who is it?" Mommy asked as she came into the living room. "Pinkie? What a surprise. What do you need to talk to me about?"

"Button asked me to teach him how to make gadgets. I'm supposed to talk to you about it." Pinkie replied as she hopped over to Mommy. Blinking, Mommy looked to Button, then to the box on his back, back to Pinkie and then repeated that motion a few more times before sighing.

"This is the closest thing to normal that Button has done in the last couple of days. You do realize that this is going to cut into your gaming time. Right, Button? You're not going to do this for a day then quit are you?" Mommy asked as she gave him a look.

"Don't worry mom, I won't quit. I'm going to be the greatest gadgeteer in the world. I have to." Button said in a serious voice as he stood tall with a deep look on his face as he looked off into the distance.

"...Boop!" Button shot his head back as his muzzle scrunched up.

"Moooooooooom! You don't just boop a pony when they're being all mysterious!" Button complained with a pout. This reaction got some giggles from the two mares.

"I don't see why not as long as Pinkie promises to be responsible about teaching you. Your father will certainly be ecstatic at you taking an interest in something like this." Mommy Mash said as she gave Pinkie a questioning look.

"Oh, I will be super-duper ultra mega responsible! I know the rules about teaching gadgeteering from my teacher. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye." Pinkie assured while going through the motions of the Pinkie Promise.

"Alright, whatever has gotten into Button I'm glad it's making him so productive," Mommy said with some joy.

"Oh, oh, maybe he somehow got superpowers and is training to be a superhero! He can go by, The Gamer! Or, or maybe Game Over!" Pinkie said with excitement making Button's eyes shrink to pinpricks.

"I don't think that's it Pinkie," Mommy said with a good-natured chuckle. "Would you like to stay for dinner so we can work out a schedule?"

"Sorry, the Cakes already made dinner and mine is waiting for me already. But I can come by tomorrow. And if he's free Button can come over any time tomorrow. I can watch him so he can start making things." Pinkie replied.

"Alright, I guess I can let him off the hook for chores tomorrow seeing as it's in pursuit of an education." Mommy agreed.


After dinner.


Button quickly went up to his room. He had the simple plan to work on the robot toy until his mom sent him to bed, then he will begin his Wiz grinding with some Puzzle heavy games. And who knows, maybe Button will gain some levels in gadgeteer and possibly a skill or two in it. Opening the box Button's eyes widened at what he saw.

"That... is a lot of parts." Button said out loud as he looked at the color-coded pieces. Taking out the thick book Button blinked at the popup.

You have found schematics. Would you like to learn them?
Yes/No

Considering skill books and the like disappear in games Button pushed no as he didn't want to destroy Pinkie's things. Opening the book he read the first few pages which explain how to read schematics, nothing Pinkie hadn't already covered, before finding the first one. It looked simple enough as it didn't use that many parts. Flipping through the book he saw that the designs grew more and more complicated with each new page. Turning back to the first one he searched for the parts and started building.

Through your actions you have attained a skill!

Assemble Lv 1.
You can assemble a machine faster by 5% + Dex without suffering the rush job debuff.

"Sweet! My first skill!" Button said excitedly before continuing his work. On his fifth robot design where he tried to challenge himself by glancing at the picture and trying to figure out how to build it from that he got a pleasant surprise.

WIZ+1

That was when he realized something about his chosen class. He was taking pieces and putting them together in the right way to get the desired results. This is a puzzle. Throwing his head back Button gave a dramatic, maniacal laugh.

"Button, stop laughing maniacally and take your bath." Button's mom called out.

"Moooooooom!" Button wined.

"I made it with lots of bubbles." She called out again.

"...Okay."