• Published 2nd Mar 2017
  • 1,683 Views, 71 Comments

Twilight's Slumber Party - Furious Thestral



Twilight had friends from the very beginning and she decides now is the time to know them

  • ...
0
 71
 1,683

Intermission four: End of the night.

Luna’s personal bedroom was now filled with music and laughter as the the group was dancing and prancing around the place, jumping on the bed and singing along with the music.

“Cause the world is crazy, and we are free to reign as the way we want.
And we ain’t mares being lazy! For that, we just let those stallions rant!”

They all singed together as Luna watched the group sing in enthusiasm and as loud as they could until the song ended and the phonograph stopped moving. Luna clapped her hooves, congratulating the mares for their performance as she laughed along.

“Spectacular singing! We would vouch for another encore, but tis seems thou have sang enough for a private concerto,” she said with a grin as she congratulated to each of them for their singing performance.

The mares nodded in agreement as they let their bodies hit the floor to take a breather from such performance that they made for their princess, while Luna walked to the phonograph that had offered the display of the music to inspect it closer.

“We are impressed of the innovations that our subjects have obtained over the centuries. I had never considered that these plates could have contained the echoes of those ponies who offered their voices for the entertainment of others,” she said, while inspecting the music device from all angles.

“Many things have been invented to improve the life of the ponies in the kingdom, along with many other for the act of entertainment, your high- I mean, Luna,” Midnight Snack said as she offered a mug of cider to the others to freshen up their tired throats.

“Even I have noticed that music these days have been more exclamative and loud, making the ponies not just dance but shake thine bodies, as if a stampede of buffaloes rushed by towards them,” the blue alicorn said as she returned to the group. “I must say that this Sapphire Shores can truly excite the audience very well.”

Midnight Snack perked her ears up and soon lifted her head, looking at the alicorn. “Luna, if you think that she is a good singer, then I might have to introduce you to Countess Coloratura. She is the true singer with passion that has more fame than any other artist out there.”

“That’s not how you pronounce Songbird Serenade,” “She is truly the best singer of them all,” Both twins interjected as they nodded their heads in unison towards Nightlife, smiling with glee. “She’s, by far, the best of them all,” they added in unison.

“Oh, please! Coloratura has won far more awards than her, with how many Golden Hoof trophies she had won compared to Songbird,” complained Nightlife, with a haughty look at the twins, who scowled back as they began to discuss who was a better singer.

The discussion left the three immersed, as the other mares were left seeing them debating about who is the best singer among them.

“Is this common among the ponies when it is about musicians?” Luna asked, somewhat interested in the argument as she focused her eyes on the trio.

North Star chuckled for a bit, watching the bickering from the others, as she looked at Luna. ”It’s been something that most ponies have been doing since an article from a renowned magazine questioned who was the best singer from the three of them, which caused this debate that has been going on for a long time,” she explained to her princess, “Do not fret about it, though. It will cool down… eventually,” she added as she brought another set of moon pies to the others.

Luna took hold of the moon pie and ate it with more enjoyment as they began to grow in delight with them with each of them she ate. “Although, we would be concerned if this debate gets to develop into something far worse than just bickering,” she said, looking once more at the discussing mares, finding eerie similarity with the bickering with her sister before her jealousy led to her banishment. Trying to clear her mind, she turned her look directly to North,

“Do not worry yourself on the matter, Luna. These topics may be in defense of their favorite singer, but I’m sure they will not get out of control into a discussion nor to a fight amongst the ponies.” North said. noticing the brief moment of relief on Luna’s face but decided to continue on. “But I would love to ask: who was your favorite performer? There must be a mention of them in our archives that I might have read about?” she asked with a great curiosity about her princess’s favorite musical genre.

Luna didn’t give it a thought as she shook her head. “I never had a preference among bards, as I was too busy taking care of the dreams of our subjects to stay awake to enjoy any theatrical performance or concerts,” she replied with a strange sense of calmness.

Both mares were surprised about it, not expecting the answer as it was but wanted it to be some mistake. “Not even a night live concert was made? Or something related to the night?” asked the pearl coated unicorn, insisting, or rather yet hoping, that the ponies back then did so in favor of the lunar princess.

“Ponies back in the days had dedicated their sunlight hours on hard work and labor. They would be too tired to be awake before dusk, and as such, so little could be done to organize a festivity of sorts when ponies slept during my time of rule during the night,” Luna explained further as she looked at the moon through the window, “Ponies’ lifestyles have been improved greatly through the years, as it seems they now find time during the night to do more activities and enjoy themselves,” she added while closing her eyes for a moment and opening them once more to enjoy her delicious treat of moonpie.

“It is all in the past now. No need to feel pity for such events that never happened,” the blue alicorn added to her two subjects.

North wanted to say something, anything, to the princess, just to show her that they supported her greatly and that things were different. There were many things to say and possible future plans to schedule to let her know how the night has changed in the lifestyle of ponies these days, but she was abruptly interrupted by Nightlife and the twins, who had finished their discussion moments ago, as the thestral wrapped her hoof around Midnight and pulled her closer.

“So, Snacks… I know that you said you were Luna’s right hoof, but what that entails you to be...? I mean, no offense, but you’re a quite a simple maid to have such a title,” she said bluntly.

keeping her control in check the maid felt easy to make her answer. “My duty is to always be at her highness’ side and to be at alert for whenever she requires my services or my aid whenever she encounters something that she inquires about and needs an explanation about it,” Midnight explained with professionalism as she felt proud on each word she gave.

“So, you’re a chaperone,”

The sole simplification of Midnight’s explanation was enough to make her gawk in confusion as she looked at her brethren Thestral with disbelief, unable to make a retort as the other mares laughed at the reply and the look on her face.

“I think you drank too much mango juice, Nightlife,” North scolded as she tugged the ear of the guard pony with her magic. “I think you should lay off from them.”

“No fun!” Nightlife complained as she pouted, taking a little distance from Midnight.

Luna could only chuckle at the acting these two mares did as she soon let out a burst of laughter, enjoying it far more than she could admit. “We most apologize, but thy interactions have been the most amusing thing that We have witnessed. Watching the two of you interact in such manner is not common during the old days, and this Slumber party is granted to be more entertaining than We had imagined.”

The mares smiled at how happy the princess was and felt that they had fulfilled their task satisfactorily, feeling more confident that they were truly suited to service the princess to their best abilities.

“We are pleased that you are enjoying your evening,” Midnight Snack said while a murmur of agreements joined along with her statement.

Soon enough, Waning Moon and her sister perked up at the same time as an idea came for them both with a simple glance they gave at each other, something they enjoyed.

“Are you thinking what I am thinking?”

“Always, sister of mine,”

Soon, both sisters stood up in perfect shyncrony, and as one, they rushed to their saddlebags, searching for a particular object. “Found it!” Waxing proclaimed as she held a camera in her hoofs.

They soon turned back, showing the object to the others. “We would like to take a photo of us all.” “It would be a good thing to remember this with all of us together.”

“That sounds like a perfect way to celebrate Luna’s first slumber party,” North Star said as she smiled excitedly to the others.

Quickly enough, the other mares were now choosing where to position themselves for the shot and decided to take it on the bed, with Luna sat in the middle and the others around her.

“Okay, we just need to set the timer and...” “Smile for the photo!”

The two of them said as the white chambermaid prepared the camera and set the timer for the two of them take their respective places in the group.

Luna had learned what the device was and how it was supposed to work, but to see it in action was something that caught her interest as she was soon dazed by the quick flash of light that blinded her for a second, and the after effect of white spots in her eyes was something that was soon to be considered the most annoying thing that it could offer to the princess as she tried to rub off the light in her eyes.

Once her focus was back, she noticed how the mares returned to talking amicably among each other with joy and happiness, making her feel an uneasy thought from her, not so, distant past and great misdeed. She smiled weakly as she walked out to the balcony of her room.

North Star noticed this and followed her out into the cool night air as she saw the blue alicorn sit on her haunches and stare at the city. “Luna?” she asked, daring herself to sit down near her.

“The land looks beautiful under the mantle of the night. In the ancient times, the moon and the stars would shine above the land and guide the brave wanderers that render themselves to go by in the darkness. Thine little number of ponies used fireflies to bring light into their cottages when they forced themselves to remain woken during the late hours,” she said softly as her eyes lingered into the bright lights of the city. “Times have truly changed if ponies can tame the lightning to illuminate the once empty streets and that this mentioned light can help ponies can sleep safe and sound without any fear of the ravenous creatures that lingered in the darkness and could dare bring harm to thyselves. But... can they now rest calm knowing that the most dangerous monster now resides among them?”

North Star could tell what her princess meant and looked at her with apprehension. “Luna, I do not believe that you are such thing.” Worry began to take form in her face as she watched the alicorn. “What happened to you was in the past, and you have already paid penance for it. No pony can punish you for what has already been done,” she said, watching her closely.

Luna remained focused on the city below them. “We cannot fathom why the ponies would be eager to forgive us without repercussions, nor that they would be willing to forget about our past sins,” each word insisting on the matter as Luna closed her eyes.

“If I may be blunt with the matter, then I would say that nopony would never mind about what you have done in the past, and if they did, they would never dare to say it without proclaiming such things to your own sister, unless you fear that she is the one that hasn’t forgiven you?” North asked, watching Luna’s eyes narrow for a moment but then readjusted themselves back to normal.

“Neigh, Our sister has done more than just forgive us. She also seeks to be forgiven for our banishment that she was responsible of doing, something that had truly surprised me.” Her eyes soon drifted from the city back to the pony who sat next to her. “We… I never imagined that she would feel such way for my mistakes, but I sensed the guilt upon me only grew,”

“I may not know what happened one thousand years ago, nor will I be able to understand that feeling any of you held. However, you can’t blame everything on you for something that no one could’ve possibly foreseen,” North said, doing her best to make her see some sense. “Also, ponies around the nation have been nothing but happy when they learned about your return, even if they had never known about you outside of books or legends of old times,” she added in order to give the alicorn the opportunity to start anew with equine society.

Luna took a deep breath, letting the cold air fill her lungs, letting her mind cool down from their debate they had. “Mayhaps thou are correct. Thy words speak only the truth,” she conceded with a faint smile.

“You will get over the events of the past, princess, and you will notice that most of the ponies here will enjoy your company,” North added, returning her smile back at Luna.

Luna didn’t say anything and just enjoyed the silence while her eyes once more turned to the city that was before her. It was so strange for her to see it in a different light, but it still remained the same city that Princess Platinum had lived during the distant past. Even the ponies of today have changed in several ways that she could have never foreseen.

But doubt lingered in her mind, and fear was still pounding in her heart. Both sensations made her uneasy as she felt the urge to run away from the city and hide herself from the shame she had once provoked.

She mentally groaned out in defeat, as she knew that no matter how far she could run nor how deep she would bury herself. Her sister would never allow her to submit to a proper punishment if she knew about it. Unless.

“It will be sunrise soon, miss Star. You should get ready to sleep, if you wish to adjust yourself to the night service,” Luna spoke softly as she maintained her expression, unchanged.

North Star wondered what was going through her princess’s mind, hoping that her words reached into the alicorn to ease her fears. “I shall be waiting for you inside, Luna. It was fun to be a guest in your slumber party,” she with a respectful bow as she walked back inside, leaving Luna alone for the moment.

Luna watched the white unicorn leave and rejoin with the others, observing each mare sleep in their sleeping bags that were next to each other and on the royal bed. “Forgot to ask for a sleeping bag to myself,” she grumbled to herself before she noticed that each of the mares had turned off the light and began to sleep soundly.

Once the room was devoid of noise, aside from the soft breathings and snoring from the mares, Luna returned her eyes to the horizon, where the first rays of the morning sun could be barely seen. She knew it was almost time for her to proceed with her part of the daily task, but before all that could take place, she needed to do something.

With a concentration of her magic, and an incantation of her own words, a small sphere of nebula appeared before her, flowing in circles as it floated in place.

Luna stared at it for a few seconds until she closed her eyes. “Do your worst, Tantabus,” she whispered as the dark miasma merged into her body, causing a chilling sensation to run through Luna’s coat.

Once it was done, Luna glanced at the horizon once more and closed her eyes. “It is for the best that my crimes shan’t be left unpunished,” she whispered, using her magic to lower the moon and allow the sun rise to bring forth a new day.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoy this final intermission for when the final chapter arrives.