• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 1,930 Views, 195 Comments

What Follows Hugs - David Silver



Tsuki the moon rabbit has led his people, and King Sombra, towards better places, not that he understands what he's doing. He just wants rabbits and ponies to be happy. A little hug between friends goes a long way to put bad feelings to rest, right?

  • ...
6
 195
 1,930

3 - From Darkness Comes

Luna's horn glowed brilliantly as a shaft of light reached up towards the sky and exploded brilliantly like the birth of a new constellations, which it was for a time.

Toby clapped eagerly at the sight, and Celestia nodded appreciatively even as a great yawn overtook her expression.

"It is far past bedtime for me. I leave the kingdom in your capable hooves, sister." She shared a gentle nuzzle with her beloved sibling, then turned to walk blearily off to some well-deserved rest.

Toby went in to nuzzle at Luna's cheek. "It is good we are all friends."

Luna started, but a smile came easily. "You are fortunate."

"Toby is very lucky, he thinks." Toby's head bobbed, helmet jostling around. It never was the tightest fit on his head. If not for his horns, surely it would have fallen off long ago. "Toby had long day, but Best Princess is just starting. Toby will stay up to help."

Luna lifted a hoof. "That is not required, good friend. Go and rest." But she could see the determination in his eyes. "Toby, do you understand what I am princess of?"

"Luna is Best Princess?"

"Perhaps that," said Luna with a smile. "But I am the princess of the night, of dreams. You must sleep so you are in my domain, dear friend."

Toby tapped a huge foot on the ground in a thumpa-thumpa-thump. "That makes sense. Toby will go to sleep then and help you protect dreams."

Luna gave her rabbit friend a gentle kiss on the cheek. "Sleep well."

He gave a sharp salute before he launched himself away. He arrived in his own room and shook himself free of his armor. He yawned wide and took the time to brush his big teeth as Luna had instructed, then crashed onto the bed, prepared to do his duty to protect the kingdom, especially Luna, from all that would harm them.

Sleep came quickly, for it had been quite a long day indeed, and he sank into the dream world, but not the one he expected.

He awoke mid-leap, soaring, but he heard no wind rushing past. He landed on snowy greyness that puffed up from the spot he landed before he pushed up to the next. So much height! He was soaring higher than ever he had before, except that time he jumped off Canterlot. That had been fun... But where was he? Everything was so grey. There were big holes, round bowls set into the ground beneath him as he jumped with unusual easiness. The world seemed to pull at him less and so he could push away better. He didn't understand it, but it was great fun.

A splash of color caught his attention, a little movement to go along with it had him reorienting himself. Once he hit the sandy ground, he launched toward the hint of life and came down in a bowl full of activity. There were all kinds of creatures of all kinds of sizes. Some were thin, some were big and pudgy just like him.

One of the bigger ones walked towards him. "You're not supposed to be here," he noted with a high-pitched tone of suspicion. "You're not one of us, how did you even get up here?" He glanced to the others. "Did one of you try taking an Equestrian again? We have rules about that!"

Toby's ear twitched, as close as it ever got to pricking up. "Hello. Toby came to help Luna."

The large creature blinked. "Luna?! Oh! That changes things..." He scratched at his cheek. "She didn't tell us she was getting new assistants, but if you're here, huh... This way." The creature waved a paw as he turned and headed towards a colorful pool. "Here we watch the dreams of Equestria, helping them to be nice."

"Toby thought Luna just said she does that?"

"She helps, but there are too many dreams for one pony, even that pony, to handle. We had the job first, let me tell you." He turned back to Toby. "This is a serious job. We messed it up once, and we're not going to do it again. Are you a nice person."

Toby blinked with wide eyes. "Toby wants to help Best Princess and all the ponies and tsuki." He tapped himself on the shoulder. "Show Toby how to help."

The creature smiled. "You seem alright. I don't feel even a trace of darkness around you. Is there a sleeping person you know? We can start there, somewhere familiar."

Toby considered that gravely. "What about King Sombra?"

The creature waved a paw over the pool, but nothing seemed to happen. "I think he's awake, must be a night owl. Got someone else?"

A challenge! But one Toby came to the answer to quickly. "One of the guards. Ponies in golden armor."

"You got it." He waved and a dream began to form in the liquid beneath them, showing a guard standing at rigid attention. "Ah, one of those workaholics, even dreams of work. Boring, but usually safe."

Toby leaned closer. "Toby will make it happy."

"You don't have--" Toby had already jumped in. "--to..." The creature shrugged softly. "This should be good to watch at least."

A smaller creature scampered up in a hurry. "Who was that that just jumped into the dream? Are they another shadow agent?"

"No ma'am," assured the larger creature. "He feels as innocent and clean as fresh snow."

The female turned to the pool. "We'll see... The shadow can be very clever." She put her paws on the rim of the liquid-filled crater. "Let's keep a close eye."

Author's Note:

Toby goes on a dream adventure. This can't be a typo!

Have your own story written on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!