• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 1,903 Views, 195 Comments

What Follows Hugs - David Silver



Tsuki the moon rabbit has led his people, and King Sombra, towards better places, not that he understands what he's doing. He just wants rabbits and ponies to be happy. A little hug between friends goes a long way to put bad feelings to rest, right?

  • ...
6
 195
 1,903

13 - Putting to Right

Sombra's perceptions shifted as he slipped from the realm of light to that of shadow and thought. He was comprised of the place, it was familiar to him. Yet, there was little to rule there. It was as empty as it was full, a dizzying place of infinite potential and little actuality.

He shook his head free of such thoughts and looked around. The school felt solid. It had great importance, even in the shadow world. Ponies thought of it often, and its shape barely wavered under the ripples of thought and shade.

That was, in part, unfortunate. It meant the door to the target's room was just as securely bolted as it was in the physical. He guessed they were tied, and opening or closing one would affect the other, considering how powerful the impressions were. The doors were known and solid. A light smile split his darkened face.

That didn't help the walls. Fewer ponies thought long or hard about any stretch of wall, which simply existed and was rarely interacted with. He hunched down just far enough to leap forward, striking the wall like thick jello and pressing through. As he emerged into the room, he could see two things. One, a unicorn mare, between that of a proper mare and a filly, and his vizier.

The latter held the former in a dark shroud of magic, wisps of purple and green in a sphere that held her securely. "You've come," he spoke as if delighted. "I thought you may not figure it out."

Sombra scowled as he took a step towards them. "There is no way this is coincidence. You caused this."

"I did," he confessed. "The two were quite spirited in their struggle to one-up the other... It was quite easy to make her spell go off in the wrong way."

The door burst open in a shaft of silvery moonlight, revealing Luna with Toby beside her. She nodded to Sombra, but her eyes were on the Vizier. "You are the pony he spoke of?"

The vizier lifted his shoulders. "There goes my enthusiasm. I thought you came alone to see me."

Sombra took another step, hoof leaving cracks where it struck the dark floor. "I have... grown." He tossed his head towards Luna. "The Tsuki and ponies are allies. Our combined strength will see those that dare oppose us driven to ruin!"

Luna clucked her tongue as she strode into the room. "Not the words I would have chosen, but it's growing on me. You, give us your name."

The vizier raised a brow. "If you are so confident you will destroy me, what does it matter?"

Toby landed beside Sombra. "Maybe not need fight?" He put a paw at his chest. "I Toby, nice meet you."

The dark pony laughed at the introduction. "You've trained your pet well, so many tricks."

Toby blinked softly. "Not trick, Toby is name. What you name?"

Sombra gestured at the trapped pony in the shadowy bubble. "Release her. I have negotiated your pardon, if you do not give reason to make my words sound foolish indeed."

The vizier smiled at Sombra, an easy expression, as if there were no threat at all. "How foolish of me to doubt you. As for my name, since I am not introduced, I am Quick Stroke. It is by these hooves that many laws of the Crystal Empire were signed and enforced."

Toby missed any malice in the words or posture. He nodded. "Toby help Sombra with law for Tsuki and help tell Tsuki how to be better Tsuki. We are same."

"Same?!" He barked out before he broke into laughter. "Perhaps in the most base of ways." With a sudden wave of a hoof, the bubble popped and dumped the confused and dizzy mare to the ground. "Here you are, as requested."

"I do not request." Sombra frowned. "You, I command."

Quick shivered softly. "With pleasure, King Sombra. Good to see you haven't been entirely dulled. How do you wish to proceed?"

Luna's magic wrapped around the mare and drew her close quickly. "You are safe now." The poor thing was gibbering, clearly shaken and traumatized. Luna gently brushed through her mane as the mare began to nod off. "It will take time to recover her."

Sombra pointed at Quick Stroke. "Tell Luna how her pony became lost."

Quick raised a brow at the alicorn. "One of the Royal Sisters, is she not?"

"She is." Luna frowned. "Explain yourself."

"That would take too long." He rolled his eyes. "You should take her back into the light."

Luna wrinkled her nose. "She is safe, for now, speak what Sombra bid you."

Toby was looking around the room curiously, admiring how the furniture shifted subtly over time and watching how the room had changed over the years, passed from student to student.

"Neither unicorn is guilty," Quick spoke. "At least, of anything greater than hubris. I was the one that drew her here."

Luna wrinkled her snout. "You've proven me wrong."

"A pleasure, though you make me wonder how..."

Sombra snorted. "A fault we share. You have proven Celestia wise in her gentle touch. That is immaterial. It's time to go. We're leaving."

Toby wasn't paying much attention to the conversation. He picked up a flowing shape on an only slightly more solid desk. Holding it, its shape collapsed, becoming more solid. He was holding a ribbon. "What is this?"

Luna nodded to Toby. "We should go, in this I agree. Toby, it is time for you to--"

Toby sprang awake where he had been put to sleep.

"--wake up," finished Luna, a hoof on his back. "Thank you."

Shadow exploded violently. From within the churning vortex of purples and greens stepped free Sombra with a slumped over mare on his back. Beside him came Quick Stroke. His eyes squinted in the light of the hallway. "Distasteful."

Sombra let the mare slide gently to the ground. "This is the realm of our allies. They will learn to admire and respect our work, and support us in our domination."

"The long game." Quick smiled. "I look forward to seeing how this goes."

Luna nodded to Sombra. "You have performed... as promised. Thank you. I knew you had it in you to handle this."

Sombra flashed a large smile of sharp teeth. "As if there was doubt." There was a delay before he glanced over towards Toby, who was playing with something. "What are you distracted by?"

Toby held out the ribbon he had held before awakening. From it dangled a metal, more of a medal. It glittered and sparkled in the light.

Luna frowned softly. "It has been some time since I have beheld that honor. A high medal of bravery in the face of imminent peril." She reached up and traced the gemstone heart and its wings. "The last award was given to a group, but this one... is older. The design has changed since then. When did a student of this school earn one of these, to create such an impression?"

Quick snorted softly. "I care little for the small honors of a small country." Luna glared at him for his slight.

Sombra held up a hoof. "There is little reason to be so fast in your disparaging. I can think of one who deserves this, but it would be in Luna's means to award it properly."

Luna started with surprise. "Who do you have in mind?"

Sombra thrust a hoof at Toby. "He knows not fear, and he would work for the benefit of his allies without regret."

Luna's eyes danced between the medal and the rabbit-like creature holding it. "We think... you may be correct." Her horn glowed, taking the medal carefully. "There are proper observations to be had. I will arrange the ceremony in all due decorum."

Toby's mind was elsewhere. "You two good friends."

Sombra blinked softly. "Who?"

Toby pointed at Sombra, then Luna. "Best King, Best Princess. Even bester together!"

Luna gave a little smile. "I admire his strength, even if there is still growth yet to be had."

"As if I am not strong enough?!"

Luna reached up and put a hoof on his nose. "Inside, not outside. What pony does not have more growth to achieve that still draws breath?"

Quick snorted at the display. "You've found your partner, M'lord."

Sombra colored at the implication, which only grow worse when Luna suddenly gave one of his warmed cheeks a kiss.

Her horn glowing, she carried the unconscious unicorn away. "Release the prisoner. She is exonerated of the crime. She will face punishment for the duel when sister decides the proper price for it." She blinked away, her passenger gone.

Toby tilted his head one way and the other, then looked at Quick Stroke. "You Toby's partner?"

Quick's snout wrinkled in disgust. "I am not interested."

Toby gave a slow blink before it hit him. "Not partner like that. Partner for Tsuki. Partner for Sombra. We help Sombra be Best King."

His expression lightened. "That I can consent to. You are a curious creature. You did not show the usual reaction to being engulfed in true darkness, forced to face nothing but your own frail mortality."

Sombra waved the dark speak away. "As if I would have any lesser working for me. I expect great things, from both of you." He strode off, confident and pleased with the day's efforts and results.

Quick returned his look to Toby. "You are not serious about those two, are you? She does not strike me as the 'right' pony."

Toby twitched an ear before it fell back to its usual flopped state. "What pony is 'right' pony? If he likes her, and she likes him, good pony!" He brought his paws together in a clap. "Luna is really good pony."

"So you insist..." He prowled around Toby. "What do you even know of her? I've heard many things, from long ago."

"I know she is good friend, and Best Princess." He nodded with confidence. "She is brave and kind and good with magic." He put a paw at his own chest. "I want to learn magic too! Oh!" He jumped up and came down facing the other way. "We are in magic school! Toby will ask if he can join."

Quick strode easily to be at Toby's side as the bouncing began. "They will turn you away. You are not a pony, and only ponies do they know how to handle, unicorns specifically. You are not that, and so they have no place for you. However cheerful their claimed model is, it has no room for things outside the normal."

"Toby think you are wrong. I will ask nice. I will work hard, then learn magic!"

"As if your people should be so lucky." Quick smiled, a malicious hint about his features. "There are really two sorts of people in the whole world... unicorns, and not. You, my new friend, are not. You could avoid much embarrassment and effort accepting that."

Author's Note:

Toby's saved the day with the help of his friends! Now it's time to learn magic, right?

Quick suggests not. Good thing Toby is terrible at being told NOT to do something.

Support me and the writing on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!