• Published 25th Feb 2017
  • 905 Views, 57 Comments

Chasing Treasures - Yukito



The race is on to secure ancient artefacts that open the way to Equestria before criminal mastermind Tirek does

  • ...
4
 57
 905

17 - Shopping Trip Cancelled

"What do you mean they've been captured?!"

Sunset removed her hands from her ears and frowned as she watched Blueblood falling backwards onto his butt, a fuming Shining Armor standing over him. "L-Like I said, it was a trap and-"

"And now Cadance and Gilda are being held captive by the enemy?!" Shining Armor punched the desk beside him, regretting his decision immediately as his hand throbbed from the pain and began to swell. "And to make matters worse, Sombra's MIA…"

"They really dropped the ball on this one," Adagio said with a grin, earning a fierce scowl from Shining that only amused her more. "And Tirek has the warhead. But thankfully, we have returned with information on where the solvent and the compass are."

Sunset nodded. "Daring Do is on her way to San Francisco now. Probably already there. I insisted on going with her, but…"

"That idiot…" Shining muttered. "I'll try to get in contact with her, to find out where exactly this shop is and see if I can meet her there. For now… we need to figure out where Cadance and Gilda have been taken."

"There is also the matter of Scorpan," Blueblood said. "He might know where Catrina would have taken her prisoners."

"True. I guess I'll have to pay him a little visit."

Sunset felt a vibration in her pocket and reached for her phone. She sighed. It was a text from Pinkie Pie, wondering where she had been lately and hoping she'd go back to school. "Well then, while you guys work on that, I think I'll dare to show my face back at school for a day."

"Yes, please take the time to rest," Shining Armor said. "We'll find out where Cadance and Gilda have been taken to, and form a plan to rescue them."

"I'll track down Daring Do and be sure she's okay," Chrysalis said. "And Shining… don't let your feelings get the better of you."

"Who do you think I-"

"A man with a great sense of justice, but who's also very protective of those he loves," Chrysalis answered, cutting him off. "That's where your weakness lies, and if Tirek discovered that, he'd use it against you."

"… I'll be fine."

"I'll keep him under control," Blueblood said, patting Shining on the shoulder.

With that, Sunset Shimmer picked up her bag and left the room, saying her goodbyes for the time-being.


Daring Do entered the shop, ringing the bell as she entered. The store was stocked with antiques, exotic goods, and medicinal herbs. But there was nobody at the counter. "Hello? Is anybody here?" There was no response. Daring Do wondered if she could search for the solvent and grab it before the store's owner returned. She wouldn't be against stealing if it meant saving a world or two.

Out of habit, she hit the bell as she approached the counter, biting her lip and hoping that nobody would respond. "One moment!" a voice called from the room behind the counter. Daring Do waited for a few moments, looking around the store to see if she could find the solvent.

On one shelf there were various masks in the shapes of animals. On a round table there was a collection of tea sets. In a display case was a fine arrangement of Asian weapons and accessories.

"May I help you?"

Daring Do jumped and turned around to face the storeowner, now standing behind the counter and wiping his glasses with a cloth. He was an aged man of Chinese descent, his hair greying and hanging low. He regarded Daring Do with a curious look as he replaced his glasses.

"Oh, yes," she answered. "I'm looking for a solvent. A special one that can repair anything."

"Does this look like a shop for 'do it yourself' goods? No? Then go across street to local Ikea!"

"I've been told you have this solvent in stock," Daring Do pressed, leaning over the counter and whispering, "One strong enough to repair even the Sage's Stone."

The man stared at her for several seconds, his eyes bearing into hers as he tried to place her. "What would a young archaeologist such as yourself want with the Stone of Sages?"

"Well, it's- Wait, how did you know that-"

"I see, in your eyes, in your spirit, and…" The man pointed to a bookstand to the side of the counter, upon which was stacked a single copy of each of Daring Do's book out at that time. "I am huge fan, Miss Do. Nonetheless, the Stone must not be repaired!"

"I don't want to repair it," Daring Do assured him. "Quite the opposite. I need it to stop it from becoming whole again."

"If what you say is true, then that would mean that one already has both halves of the Stone." Daring Do nodded. "Which means Equestria… is in grave peril."

Daring Do gasped. "You know about Equestria?"

"Know it? I visited it, when I was once little boy! Before moving to America, I lived in a poor, Chinese village. We had temple in heart of village, and inside that temple, there was a tree that was born of Equestrian magic. Very powerful magic, magic that-"

Daring Do's phone rang, cutting off the story that Daring Do feared was on its way to becoming way too long. "Sorry, I gotta take this. So, the solvent?"

"… I will get it, but I must first determine if you are worthy. Please wait here. I will be but one moment."

"Gotcha," she said, answering her phone and watching as the elderly man left into the room behind the counter. "What's up?"

"Miss Do!" Caballeron shouted from the other end of the phone. "They are on their way! I don't know how, but they know where the solvent is and are about to-"

"AIYAAAAAH!"

Daring Do lowered her phone and ducked behind the counter, reaching for her pistol and she kept an ear out for anymore sounds.

"GET OUT OF HERE!" the old man shouted over the sounds of glass breaking and pottery smashing. "YOU ARE NOT WELCOME! LEAVE AT-"

"Shut it!" a voice yelled, followed by what sounded like something heavy crashing into a table or a counter.

"Aiyaaaahhhh…"

The old man's voice stopped there, Daring Do slowly peeked over the counter to find him on the ground, covered in broken fragments of what was once a table. He was still breathing.

She saw a shadow on the floor, moving closer to the doorway, and she raised her gun. Just then, she felt the barrel of a gun pressed to the back of her head.

"I wouldn't try that if I were you."

Daring Do gritted her teeth. "… Ahuizotl," she said, raising her hands and allowing her gun to drop to the floor.

"Seems Tirek was right about this place."

"Working for Tirek now? Doesn't seem like your style to become somebody lapdog, Ahui.

"Do not confuse me with that Doctor Caballeron. I know which side it is safer to be on, and besides, Tirek is paying handsomely for that solvent. And not just him, either." Ahuizotl chuckled as he swung at the back of Daring Do's head, knocking her to the ground and causing her ears to ring for several seconds.

"PandaBubba has a huge bounty on your head. You wanted to see him so badly? I'll happily take you to him, and I will receive payment from him, and then from Tirek."

"Hey Boss! We found it!"

Ahuizotl grinned. "Well then, Miss Do! It seems that for once, it is Ahuizotl's victory! NYAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

Daring Do's vision faded as Ahuizotl's mad cackling filled her ears. The last thing she could remember seeing before she passed out was one of his minions standing over her, a coil of rope in his hands.


Sunset gathered her wallet and her gun, ensuring that it was loaded. After returning home from school, she was ready to enjoy a peaceful night before what was sure to be a gruelling battle against Tirek. This hope however was crushed by a simple text that she received from a mysterious sender.

'I know who you are. I know you are trying to stop Tirek. Meet me. I wish to share information that can help you and your friends. Directions to follow.'

After receiving the directions, Sunset weighed her options. The directions came with an instruction to come alone. It was surely a trap of some kind, but whoever it was could have attacked Sunset at any point throughout the day, if that was their intention.

Ultimately, she grabbed her magic jewel and left her house, walking into the streets of Canterlot in the dead of the night. Whoever it was, she was going to get this 'information', one way or another.