• Published 24th Feb 2017
  • 1,688 Views, 35 Comments

Adventures in Valatorium - X3n0heart



Join Sunset and the gang as they gather together every week for a game of Dungeons and Dragons!

  • ...
0
 35
 1,688

Session 04: Secrets Are Better Kept Silent

Author's Note:

Below you will find the color key for each character so you can keep track whenever their character speaks.

Sunset as the narrator
Twilight as Jeana Sparks
Rarity as Lady Lavanya
Applejack as Roxanna Mourneblack
Pinkie as Aresim
Rainbow as Thandra Lockcat
Fluttershy as Lohen Greenbranch

Sunset clapped her hands together and smiled to herself as she looked around the table at her friends. They each returned a similar smile, eyes gleaming with anticipation with tonight's session. All last week at school they kept talking about it and wondering what is going to happen next to them. They even tried coercing answers out of Sunset but she wouldn't give in. As the girls settled down Sunset looked over her notes once more as she recapped what transpired last weekend.

"As you guys spent the night in the port city of Whitestar and headed out after breakfast, you got a little bit of information about the city and who's in charge. You then decided to explore the area a bit before heading up to the keep that sits on the south eastern side of town upon a small hill, over looking the entire area. You were stopped by some guards who asked you what business you had at the keep and Lady Lavanya persuaded to let the party in to speak to Lord Amarith."

Sunset nodded to Rarity as she went on, "Waiting for the summons you decided to take a look around the courtyard and saw two fountains with had matching statues. One of a devil and the other of an angel. You didn't have to wait for long before you were summoned to speak with Lord Amarith and were lead inside and to his chambers where you conversed with him. Telling him that you lied to gain entry, he then assumed you were there as spies or assassins and had all of you thrown into the cells beneath the keep. You were all put into separate cells, your gear taken and put somewhere out of sight. And that's where we pick up tonight."

"It's very dim down here, the only light source coming from two wall torches set across from each other near the stairs. There is a nasty stench of rotting food, stale water and probably a few things have died down here recently. You get the sense that those put down here very rarely come back." Sunset then looked around to each of them before asking, "So, what do you do?"

"I shout out, 'Hey! Let us out of here!'" Rainbow said.

"You wait for a moment and there seems to be no reply of any kind."

"How big are the cells?" Applejack asked Sunset.

"Taking a look around they are not very big, maybe six feet by eight feet."

"Is it a solid door or bars?"

"The doors to the cells are bars with a lock about midway down it. There is no handle as they just swing open when unlocked." Sunset explained. The girls looked to each other a few times as they bounced ideas off of one another. It was Rainbow Dash who turned back to Sunset with a question.

"Do I still have my tools?"

"Give me a sleight of hand to see if you have hidden them on your body instead of in your stuff."

Rainbow rolled her die then checked her sheet before answering, "Seven."

"Well luckily they were in such a rush to get you down here that they did a sloppy job of searching you that you were able to keep your tools."

Rainbow grinned as she then said, "I would like to try and pick the lock to my cell."

"Alright, go ahead and roll for your thieve's tools.

"Twenty-five!"

"And with ease you hear the soft clicking sound of it unlocking."

"Easy as pie."

"The darkness, watch out for the darkness..." a voice behind Thandra whispered. Spinning quickly she turned around to see who or what just spoke. Using her dark vision she saw a very old and frail man laying in the corner who kept repeating it over and over.

"What darkness? What are you talking about?" She asked him but it seemed he has lost his mind a long time ago and wouldn't give her any other information. Stepping close to the door she listened carefully to the sounds around her.

"Do I see or hear any of the guards around?" Rainbow asked.

"Roll a perception for me."

"Six," Rainbow frowned as she looked back over to sunset.

"You don't hear any foot steps around."

"Is anyone across from me in the other cell?"

"Yes, you can see Roxanna in the cell just sitting there."

"Okay. I would like to sneak out and try to make my way over there and unlock her door too." Rainbow said.

"Alright. Give me a stealth roll."

"Twenty-two."

"Got it. You stick to the shadows and move across the hall to Roxanna's cell unnoticed."

"Psst. Roxanna, you alright?" A disembodied voice called out from the shadows at Roxanna looked through the door of her cell.

"Thandra? Is that you? I can't see you at all," she said as she stood up and made her way to the bars peering out into the dimly lit area.

"Shhh, give me a moment and I'll get you out of there," Thandra whispered back as she suddenly appeared and started working on the lock. A moment later she had it open and Roxanna stepped out into the hallway. "Keep watch and I'll go see if I can free the others," she added as she disappeared into the darkness once more. It didn't take her very long to locate and release the rest of her party as they all gathered near Roxanna's cell for it was the closest to the exit.

"What do we do now?" Lohen asked.

"We should probably find out where they are keeping our things, dear," Lady Lavanya told her.

"I agree. Our stuff should be a priority," Jeana agreed.

"Shhh, quiet everyone," Roxanna hissed as she continued to stare up the staircase that wound upwards to the right. There was a few silent moments as the group waited till Roxanna gave the all clear. "Alright, I think the coast is clear. Not sure how long we've been down here but let's stay quiet as we move along. That means no singing or humming or any kind of noise, Aresim." Roxanna looked back at the bard who nodded understandingly for the situation they are in.

"Alright I need everyone to make a stealth check for me please," Sunset told them as the girls rolled their dice.

"Fifth-teen."

"Five."

"Nine."

"Fifth-teen."

"Three."

"Twenty-one." All the girls replied as Sunset rolled some of her dice behind her screen.

"Well luckily I rolled really bad for their perception so all of you make it up the stairs unnoticed. You enter a large room which you recognize as the waiting room where they took all of your things away before ushering you down to the cells."

"I quickly look for our equipment," Rainbow said.

"Aright. It doesn't take you very long to find the chest that they threw all of your things inside. As you all gear up what do you do next?" Sunset asked as she looked around the table.

"We need to find a way out of here," Fluttershy said to the girls.

"Yes, I agree, darling," Rarity nodded to her then turned to Sunset and asked, "Is there any other way out of here?"

"There is a door on the opposite side where you guys came in and the way back down to the cells."

"I'm going to head to the door and see if I can hear anything," Pinkie said.

"Okay, give me a perception roll."

"Nine."

"You don't hear anything on the other side."

"Is it locked?"

"No."

"I open it and take a peek through the crack."

"The door opens quietly and you can see it leads into a hallway that has two doors on the right side, both closed. At the end of the hall it seems to turn to the left. You can see sunlight on the floor at the end of the hall where it turns."

"Guys, I think I can see a the way out of here!" Aresim said as she shut the door. The party looked to each other and nodded as they drew their weapons just in case.

"How should we do this? Slow and quiet or make a mad dash for it?" Roxanna asked them. The girls took a moment to think about it and they agreed on just running for it, only fighting if they need to. Taking another look out the door, Aresim saw a pair of guards turn down the far end of the hall. As she quietly watched them they entered the first door on their left and when it was closed she nodded to her friends.

"All clear! Let's go!" Taking the lead the bard bolted out of the room and into the hall, the rest of the party after her. Making it to the end of the hall and turning left they saw an open arch way with no door which lead straight outside. Stepping out into the bright sun they noticed they were in a courtyard of some sorts. It was similar to the one at the front of the castle but smaller. Another one of those demon statues stood in the center in a grotesque pose. They spotted a small wooded gate near the southern wall and quickly made for it.

"Hey! Stop them!" A shout was heard from atop the opposite wall as a few bolts sank into the ground around them.

"Open it, quickly!" Lohen panicked as Roxanna and Lady Lavanya threw their weight against the door. It swung open without any problems as the group rushed out and onto a small dirt path that lead down the back of the keep and into some ruined buildings, long forgotten remnants of the town when it was first built. They continued to dash through the ruins and eventually making their way into the city where they slowed to a brisk walk. A ringing of large bells could be heard in the distance as the alarm went off. Most people around them continued on their day but a few of them stopped and looked up towards the keep wondering what is happening.

"That was to close," Jeana said as she tried to catch her breath. "I don't think it's wise to stay here for the night. Maybe we should make camp outside of town then return to get more information about Lord Amarith and those strange statues."

"When we were in those cells there was an old man in mine and he kept saying 'the darkness, watch out for the darkness.' I'm not sure what that means but he seemed rather scared about it." Thandra shrugged as they party made their way towards the edge of the walled city. Passing through the gates they headed towards the hills surrounding the area to make camp. The sky started to turn a reddish purple color as they found a spot on the other side of a large hill. As the last rays of sunlight vanished behind the horizon the party on their next course of action and what they are going to do with this new information they have received.

"As you guys set up camp and prepare for the night, what's the watch order?" Sunset asked them.

"The same as last night, I believe," Rarity said. The girls nodded while Sunset checked the order then turned back to the girls after rolling some dice.

"Fluttershy I need a perception roll please."

"A ten."

"That just barely made it. On your watch everything seems quiet and still but you then heard a scraping sound, almost like something is being dragged along the ground."

"Can I look around and see if I see anything strange?" Flutteshy asked.

"Sure. You look around the camp site and see your all of your party members there except for one. Jeana is missing from where you saw her last," Sunset explained.

"Oh no! I run over and check the area where she was."

"Make an investigation check."

"Twelve."

"Her stuff is still there but she is not. You can see drag marks on the ground leading away from the fire and into the darkness beyond. You don't hear the dragging sounds anymore though as you look around."

"Girls, wake up! Jeana is missing. I think she has been kidnapped!" Lohen shouted as she woke her party up. They started searching the area and found more clues that lead not back towards the city but away to the Southeast.

"We must go after her! Whatever or whomever it is couldn't have gotten that far," Roxanna said as she drew her sword, the rest of the party following suit.

"As you all dash into the darkness of the night to track down whatever has taken Jeana in her sleep, that's where we'll call it," Sunset told them with a smile.

"Really?" Rainbow Dash questioned, obviously wanting to go on longer.

"Why me?" Twilight asked Sunset.

"Well it was random Twilight. I just rolled and it landed on you," Sunset explained to her.

"Well I think next week will be fun. We get to chase down something that took one of us and rescue them!" Pinkie said as she packed up her belongings.

"I think so too," Rarity said with a smile then turned to Twilight, "don't worry we won't let anything bad happen to you." Twilight just nodded and gave a small smile in return as the girls finished gathering their things. Saying their good byes to Sunset they all left once again leaving Sunset alone and with a smile upon her face.

"Next week, huh?" She giggled to herself as she headed over to the table to clean up the rest of her things. "Next week will be a lot of fun. Can't wait to show them what I have in store for the girls. It will definitely be exciting!"

Comments ( 9 )

I am loving this story so far. Keep up the good work!! :pinkiehappy:

8265024 thank you very much! It's a lot of work to play 6 characters and a DM but I am having fun with it. :twilightsmile:

Oh please please please write more soon! This has been fun to read, especially having grown up as a D&D nerd! :3

8432943 Don't worry there will be more, I've just been busy recently and haven't had time to sit down and write down another chapter. :twilightblush:

8433084
Well great to hear!!! Also, I was wondering something when I was reading this before, but is there supposed to be some "tensions" and flirts between some of the girls? Because I for one caught what felt like some :3 lol

8433141 What do you mean? :twilightsmile:

8433304
Oh well I'd have to reread to catch other ones, but there seems to be something goin on between AJ and Rares it felt like.... ;) at least some flirtatious implications anyways lol :raritywink:

I'll reread to point out the others because I coulda sworn there were some others just gotta check ;)

8433423 no worries. But there is no intent on all that but if it comes off like it perhaps I'll roll with it.

i also cant wait for what is next! i hope to see it

Login or register to comment