• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,233 Views, 232 Comments

Crashing Angels - lillytheomegawolf



A story of how Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash met as fillies. The joys and hardships of life, friendship, and love and all the surprises that happen along their journey as they become best friends--and much more.

  • ...
10
 232
 5,233

Chapter 15: What Runs in the Family

The Hay and Clover, Ponyville’s local pub was bustling with activity on a fun Saturday evening. Opposite the entrance lay the bar, the heart of the establishment, run by a middle-aged purple pegasus. A large circular six pony table sat to the left side of the bar. Many smaller tables were scattered throughout the rest of the wooden brown and clover green room. All in all, it could accommodate around twenty five ponies. One particular group occupied a small table on the far corner away from the bar. At this quiet table, a group of four mares were in the middle of enjoying a few drinks, their meal long since finished. The dark blue alicorn of the night took a swing of her strong smelling spirit drink then carefully placed the tumbler back down. The mare beside her, Twilight Sparkle, levitated a dark green drink that smelled like lavender mixed with many other herbs. The younger princess was in the middle of slowly sipping her drink.

Across from the princesses of the night sat Rainbow Dash, a mug of hard cider loosely held in her right forehoof. At her side sat Fluttershy, a half full wine glass within reach.

Dash chugged the rest of her cider then belched. “Say, Princess?”

Fluttershy shot her mare a reproachful look. It was ignored by the rather tipsy pegasus.

Luna took a measured sip of her drink, “yes?”

“So when are you gonna ask Twilight to marry you? So you can, you know-” Dash parted her mane to reveal a certain yellow primary feather hidden behind locks of rainbow mane. “Join the married mare’s club.”

Twilight hacked and coughed. She quickly placed her drink on the table while Luna rubbed her back. “Rainbow Dash!”

“When we are ready,” Luna replied evenly as she continued to assist her lover. “Not everypony is as fast as thou, Rainbow Dash.”

“Oh, well...” Dash went to take a sip of her cider and realized it was empty. “One sec- anypony want another? Looks like my cider ran out when I wasn’t looking.”

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” Fluttershy prompted, her voice barely audible above the general hub-hub.

“Na,” Dash grinned. “I can have at least three more before it affects me. Twilight? Luna?” 



With a swish of her starry mane, Luna threw back her drink. “Yes please.” 


“I’m fine, thanks,” Twilight added.

“Okay!” Dash happily trotted off to the bar to place the order.

Twilight turned to her marefriend. “You seem to be holding on well.” 



Luna smirked. “Many centuries of enjoying strong drinks does give one a certain level of resistance. Although if I didn’t know better, I would assume that in the case of Rainbow Dash, it likely runs in the family. Her capacity for hard cider is most impressive.”

“It does,” Fluttershy noticed both alicorn’s eyes on herself and placed her glass down. “Run in the family that is. Her dad was ... well- um... yeah. Some days I fear that more than just resistance to alcohol runs in the family. Her brother refuses to taste any alcohol, but my Dashie does love her cider. Just like her dad used to...”

“Should we cut her off?” Twilight asked tenderly.

“Oh, no. She doesn’t get to go out as often anymore and she is enjoying herself tonight. I don’t mind carrying her home. I just wonder what Scootaloo will think.”

“How is she?”

“I think she’s well settled. She seems to be enjoying her new life.”

“Who is?” Dash loudly asked as she placed the two new drinks on the table.

“Scootaloo.”

The Wonderbolt grinned as she laid a wing over her mare. “Oh yea, she’s super cool to have as an adopted daughter. But I think it makes Fluttershy wish for a foal that’s ours too. Then Lil Cheese would have somepony his own age to play with!”

The cocky pegasus pulled her lover in for a tighter hug and added a quick peck on the cheek.

Fluttershy hid behind her forehooves, her muzzle on fire.

Luna glanced at Twilight, the couple shared a moment’s surprise together before their attention returned to the pegasus couple.

“So... is it possible?” Dash expectantly gazed at the alicorn couple.

“Sorry, what?” Luna asked softly, surprised by the unusual question.

“Fluttershy,” Twilight lent closer to the shy pegasus.

“Yes?”

“Do you want your own foal too?”

“Um... yes. I mean, it would be nice. But I understand that we are both girls... so...”

Twilight glanced at Luna. The darker alicorn shook her head ever so slightly.

“Hey, telepaths! What is it?” Dash asked then took a large draught from her fresh alcoholic cider.

“Nothing,” Luna replied then threw back her mixed drink in one go. “I’m merely off to seek a refill.”

Dash gazed at the empty glass for a second then hastily chugged back her own. “One for me too, please!”

“T’would be my pleasure,” Luna levitated the two empty bearers of drink from the table then trekked away from their corner.

“I don’t know who’s egging who on more, you or her.” Twilight pointed out to the maybe slightly drunk Wonderbolt.

A blue hoof casually waved the comment off. “Hey, if I knew Moonbutt would make such a great drinking buddy I would have invited her to the sessions with Cloud Kicker and the rest of the weather team.”

“Her name is Luna.”

“Egghead,” Dash poked her tongue at the lavender alicorn.

Twilight rolled her eyes and took another sip of her drink. The strong herbal smelling drink lingered in front of the young princess’s muzzle as she closed her eyes and inhaled the aromas for a few blissful moments.

The speedy blue pegasus took the opportunity to sneak a kiss on her lover’s neck.

Fluttershy giggled as her spouse lay a series of butterfly kisses along her neck. As the cheeky kisser reached her shoulder she playfully fought her off. “Dash- not now.”

Rainbow Dash withdrew slowly, full of giggles. “Awww... but you were getting all cute and flustered.”

A mug floated in front of the element of loyalty. Dash lit up and accepted the cider. “Thanks!”

Luna gracefully took her place beside Twilight and sipped her new drink. Several shots worth of black rum sloshed around in the glass as it was placed back on the table. Luna smiled as the spices in the rum tingled on the way down.

Rainbow Dash eyed the drink. “What’s that?”

“A spiced rum that caught my eye,” Luna replied with a slight smile.

“Mind if I have a taste?”

Fluttershy shook her head.

Twilight noticed and nudged her marefriend. Luna glanced over to her lover who motioned in the direction of the shy pegasus.

Rainbow Dash took a hearty swing of her cider.

Fluttershy lightly shook her head again.

The princess of the night noticed the timid mare’s action this time and levitated her glass carefully to her own lips. She sipped, drawing it out, enjoying the attention from the hopeful Wonderbolt as she supped. Once half the glass was finished, Luna placed it back down. “Thine wife said no, I’m afraid.”

Rainbow Dash shot her lover a reproachful look. 



Fluttershy bopped the blue nose. As the yellow forehoof met soft blue Rainbow Dash recoiled as though struck. “Owww... right in the kisser! I’m never gonna be able to smell again!”

Fluttershy leant in close, took a deep breath then unleashed it right in front of her mare’s nose.

Blue forehooves waved around wildly to dispel the smell and powerful wings shot up for balance as Dash almost fell off her stool. “Too winey...”

“Awww...” Fluttershy cooed then placed a kiss right on her spouses’ snout. “Is that better?”

“You kinda smell of wine,” Dash pointed out needlessly.

“And you smell like the bar. Does that make us even, my love?”

Rainbow Dash took a draught from her mug then belched loudly back. “Now it does!”

Fluttershy withdrew and took a light sip of her wine. “Graceful as ever, Rainbow Dash.”

The bold pegasus smirked, “you know it.”

Rainbow Dash placed her drink back upon the table, shuffled a little closer to her mare then placed her right wing securely around the precious yellow barrel. 


Safe and warm in the blue cacoon, Fluttershy nuzzled her lover.

“Thou art adorable together.”



At Luna’s comment, both pegasi seemed to remember they were not alone. Fluttershy flushed crimson while Rainbow Dash coughed awkwardly and took another sip of her drink.

“Just forget you saw any of that, Luna.” The blue mare shot the large alicorn a reproachful glance.

“One shall require more drinks if they are to forget that.” 


Rainbow Dash downed her mug of hard cider. “Is that a challenge I hear?”

Luna threw back her rum. Dark blue wings flicked out as the burning drink warmed her. “And if it is?”

“Then we need more hard cider!”

“Or rum.”

“No rum.” Fluttershy’s assertiveness faded instantly as the others glanced at her. “Uh... if that’s okay?”

“Of course,” Twilight agreed. “I’ll get you both two hard ciders to get started.”


Well into the night, four ponies exited the Hay & Clover.

Rainbow Dash staggered, using her mare for support. A rather embarrassed Twilight had Luna half mounted on her, dark blue forelegs wrapped around her neck. Luna kept mumbling and nuzzling the top of the younger princess’s head. The dark alicorn’s hind legs worked with a slight lack of coordination to hold up the tail end of the usually mighty alicorn.

“Good night!” Twilight called out to Fluttershy.

The yellow pegasus grunted as her spouse sagged against her. “Good night. Are you sure you’ll be okay to get home?”

“I should be asking you that,” Twilight replied with a laugh.

“I’ll be okay.” 



“Alright, well-” Twilight tried and failed to reposition her fellow alicorn. “I’ve got to get this deadweight home.”

“Not art a weight dead,” Luna mumbled as her wings lazily rose then fell.

Twilight giggled. “Shush, let’s just get you home, Moony.”

“Hast we ever toll thine how much we love thy flank?”

Twilight’s muzzle flushed, she glanced around and was thankful that no other ponies were around. “Love you too Luna.”

The mare of the night nuzzled shamelessly into her lover’s mane as they stumbled along. Incoherent humming broke out as Luna’s tune lifted then wandered between random ancient songs.

Twilight was sorely tempted to teleport home to avoid anypony spotting them. As she was about to focus on the spell, a memory caused her to falter. Her father had told her never to teleport after drinking anything alcoholic. The young princess sighed and tried to pick up the pace. Three drinks might be few enough to qualify as safe, but with her special somepony on her back, Twilight suddenly didn’t feel like risking it.

Meanwhile, as Fluttershy guided her spouse home, she felt the athlete begin to shake with mirth.

“I won!”

“What?”



“Saw Luna,” Dash giggled some more. “I total beat her drunks!”

“Yes, you did,” Fluttershy responded dutifully.

“Hey Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash grinned drunkenly at her spouse.

The shy pegasus once kept her silence as she focused on walking along in time with the stumbling pace of her lover.

“Fluttershy. Hey!”

“Fluttershy.”

“Fluttershy.”

“Flutterbunbun.”

“Snuggly.”

“Cootie bear.”

Fluttershy took a deep breath, scrunched up her muzzle a little but remained quiet.

“Snuggly-wuggly.”

“Baaaaabe?”

The heavy weight upon Fluttershy’s side suddenly lifted and she was suddenly so light she almost took off into the skies.

A sniffle broke out in the night. “D-did I do bad? Why you not speak to me?”

The demure yellow mare spotted her lover sitting, wings splayed out on either side of her. “You did nothing wrong, my love. I’m just focused on getting you home safe.”

Fluttershy closed the distance between them, did her best to ignore the strong smell of hard cider as she kissed her lover on the lips. After holding onto the sweet action for a few moments she withdrew and lightly placed a kiss upon the forehead of her spouse. “There... is that better?”

Blue forehooves reached out and delivered a loose hug. “Hmmmm... cuddle meeeeee...”

“I will. We’re nearly home.” Fluttershy carefully pried the blue forelegs off herself. “Come on.”

Dash bolted to her feet, took a few steps then faceplanted into the grass at the side of the road.

Fluttershy rushed to her mare’s aid and helped her up.

“Ow... Who dun that?” Dash moaned as she rubbed at her snout.

“Come on, we are nearly home Dashie.” Fluttershy carefully helped the athlete up, careful to not allow her to rush off again.

The couple eventually made it back to the cottage at the edge of Ponyville. With a sigh of relief, Fluttershy deposited her lover on their bed. She gave the drunk pegasus a quick kiss then wandered into the adjacent room. This was a recent addition to the cottage, attached to the upper story that was once just Fluttershy’s solo bedroom.

Inside this room was a cloud bed with a nightstand next to it. On the bed lay Scootaloo in peaceful slumber, a Daring Do book clutched lightly in her forehooves. Fluttershy smiled at her adopted daughter as she crept closer. The proud, tipsy pegasus stood there for a few moments as she admired the strong filly who was so close in her heart.

The demure mare carefully removed the book and placed it on the nightstand. She lifted the sheet to better cover the slumbering teenager. With a final check to make sure everything was in order then returned to her spouse.


Atop the much loved lookout cloud of Rainbow Dash, the young filly in question was about to take off for another glide with her brother when Spitfire called out. She had spotted their mother.

The grey-blue mare was out of breath as she settled down in front of the surprised trio. “Your father- he’s is in hospital.”

“What!” Dash exploded with surprise.

“He is suffering from alcohol poisoning! Whatever he drank this morning nearly killed him.”

Cold terror followed the words of the mother mare. There was no way...

Dash’s gaze darted between her brother and mother, “but- but. Dad can’t die...” Sure she had wished for a cool father, but that did not mean she wanted to lose her dad!

Soarin sat awkwardly on the edge of the large lookout cloud, unable to believe his ears. The thought that his dad was suffering alcohol poisoning threw him back into the ugly nightmare. He jolted as something brushed up against his side. It was Spitfire. She was giving him a hug. The normally chill colt melted into the affection.

“He’s gotta be fine... remember what I said Soarin...” Spitfire tenderly nuzzled her coltfriend.

With a shudder, Soarin broke the snuggle and Spitfire gave him a peck on the cheek.

Dash gazed at the open display of affection in shock.

Gust broke the moment by once again speaking up: “He’s being treated right now. Anypony want to come with me to check up on your father once they allow us in to see him?”

“Yeah, I mean- of course!” Dash exclaimed.

“I gotta make sure dad is okay,” Soarin added.



“I’ll come to,” Spitfire flicked her wings ready for action.

“Alright, come here girl,” Gust instructed her daughter.

Dash quickly rushed up to her mother who gave her a quick hug then helped her up onto her back. “Uh... you gonna be okay to fly me to the hospital, mom?”

“Of course...” Gust replied as she stood tall. “Now let’s go.”


The castle of the princess of friendship lay quiet under Luna’s moon. A flash of light from the bedroom window of the princesses suite briefly disrupted this peace. Darkness returned. As did peace to the outer bounds of the crystalline castle.

Inside Twilight’s bedroom, a midnight blue alicorn stallion stood before the mare herself. The bridge of his nose was lightly dappled right up to his forehead. The spots resumed around the base of his mane where they tailed randomly down his back to merge with his cutie mark. 



The lavender alicorn’s horn flickered out, her jaw fell loose and she felt her wings rise. The princess paid them no heed. “Yeah... I think it works. But, uh...” 



Luna smirked at the stunned look on his marefriend’s face. “Yes?”

“Did the spell accidentally add those cute spots?”

Luna glanced at his back. His wings rose in surprise. “Oh. Those.”

“What do you mean, those?”

“My dapples. It has been ever so long since We last saw them. We had almost forgotten the concealment spell was ever there.”

“Why would you hide them? They are soo cute! Even on a stallion, they make you adorable!” 


The stallion coughed awkwardly. “Yes... well. A princess does not need to be fawned over. These dapples ruin my tough image.” 


“But I like them...” Twilight coed as she drew near and placed a kiss upon the closest dark spot on the bridge of her lover’s nose.

The dapples on Luna’s nose were joined by a rosy dark tinting as the now-prince of Equestria flushed.

As Twilight withdrew she spotted something else that caused her wings to rise once more.

Luna noticed the unsubtle wing signals and felt pleasurable sensations rush through his system.

“You look really good as a stallion.”

“You don’t mind me like this?”

The smaller alicorn pressed herself closer and laid a series of kisses upon the jaw of her lover. They quickly found themselves on Twilight’s large bed, hooves entwined as they shared more kisses that grew in passion and heat.

A swish of magic knocked Twilight off the stallion and she found herself gazing at her marefriend. “Why did you do that?”

Luna lay there panting. Her one free wing was up like a flagpole, a clear show of her ...excitement. “Because you know as well as I do where that was going.”

“I know,” Twilight tentatively crawled closer and slowly wrapped her marefriend in a hug. She noted that the dapples had, in fact, remained after the sex change and filed the information away for later. “What if I wanted it too?”

“Then surely thou can wait till we are wed.”

“You mean do you want to marry me?”

Luna nodded. “Then we can share in the next step of intimacy.”

“Okay,” Twilight agreed as she settled in closer. “I’m sure it will be worth waiting for.”

“Now we know we can experience it both ways too,” Luna grinned.

“Yeah. Although I might always let you be the stallion when we want that. You really did look nice.”



“Should we inform Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy that there may be a way to fulfill their desires of creating their own foal?”

Twilight placed a kiss upon her mare’s lips then smiled into the vibrant eyes that shone in front of her. “Once we test it ourselves.”


The waiting room at Cloudsdale hospital was a squat wide open room. The walls were a fluffy white and the place smelt overly clean. Opposite the front desk, there were five rows of seats, filled with a couple of individuals and the occasional family. One particular colourful family of pegasi took their seats at the back.

Rainbow Dash rounded on Spitfire as the older filly settled down beside her. “Since when do you kiss my brother?”

The filly in question gave her coltfriend an apologetic glance before she turned back to Rainbow Dash, “since we are now dating.”

“You’re what?” Dash almost fell off her seat in shock.

“Yea, Spitfire is my fillyfriend now.” Soarin proudly extended a light blue wing to cover his fillyfriend’s back protectively.

Dash sat there, completely unable to believe her eyes and ears, “you asked spitfire out?”

“Kinda... yea.”

Seriously?”

“Yeah...” Soarin replied slowly, stretching the solo word out as for as long as he could manage.

Dash rounded on Spitfire, “but I thought you said you wanted my help to get him to notice you!”

The filly in question sank into her seat sheepishly. “I did...”

“You asked my sister to help you what?” Soarin’s gaze darted between the two fillies, surprised by the admission.

Gust let loose a brief laugh as she stood in front of her young ones. “Don’t be too surprised Son, I think the only pony who failed to realize she liked that way was yourself.”

“What are you trying to say?” Soarin eyed his mother with a cautious eye.

“You can be as dense as your father,” Gust replied with a cheeky grin as she settled into her chair beside her daughter.

“Oh...” A sinking sensation filled the pit of Soarin’s tummy.

“After all kinds of failed attempts, I ended up cornering him in the locker rooms and kissing him. That got his attention.” A faint blush tinted the grey-blue mare’s cheeks at the pleasant memory. Caught up in the past, she failed to notice her sons’ sour change of mood. Her out of focus gaze lingered in the direction of the ward where her husband was being treated.

Dash faked a gag in response.

That reaction was one her mother did notice. “Oh come on Rainbow Dash, I’m sure that one day you too will see colts as something more than icky creatures with cooties.” Gust gave her daughter a playful nudge then noticed her son had vanished. “Wait... where did Soarin go?”

“To the little colt’s room?” Spitfire offered. “He suddenly had to go. On second thoughts, I think I need to go too...”

The vibrant yellow filly snuck away quickly before anypony could refute her excuse to vacate the waiting room. 



Dash turned to her mom. “Is Spitfire acting weird?”

Gust smiled down at her daughter, “I think it’s because they are in love, isn’t it precious?”

“Eeugh... I think it’s gross... dunno why I ever said yes to help her to get him...” Dash wrinkled her muzzle up. “Why do you think Dad did that?”

“What?” 



“You know...” Dash shuffled awkwardly in her chair. “Had enough stuff... to uh- end up in here... I don’t like this place... it’s all stuffy and boring...”

Gust gave her daughter a loose winged hug. “Well, I’m sure they will let us see him soon.”


Soarin, Spitfire and Gust strode down bland cloud hallways behind a bubblegum pink nurse dressed in white. The mother mare shifted her weight a little as her sleeping daughter stretched out on her back and murmured something in her sleep. The nurse came to a stop in front of a door. Soarin glanced nervously at his fillyfriend who gave him a light winged hug in return. Gust carefully slipped her daughter off her back, sat down then cradled Dash gently in her right forehoof. After a few blissful moments of gazing at her precious little girl, Gust gave her a kiss on the forehead then a nuzzle.

“Whaaa?” Dash moaned as she came to. “We there already?”

“Yes,” Gust replied softly. “Ready to see your father?”

Rainbow Dash stretched awkwardly. “Yeah, lemmie down please, Mom.”

With a final quick nuzzle, Gust deposited her girl on solid cloud then turned to the waiting nurse.

The bubblegum pink mare with a white and purple mane rested her hoof on the doorknob. “He’s just inside here. The doctors have finished with him for now but please, keep your voices down. We don’t want to wake him up.”

“Thanks,” Gust fired back as she strode right up to the closed door and stood expectantly in the mare’s face.

“Uh...” The nurse timidly eyed the imposing weather pony in front of her for a few seconds before she obliged and opened the door. The strong smell of disinfectant wafted out and hit the family’s senses. 


Gust wrinkled her nose then strode in without a word. She approached her husband slowly, her face set like stone. 

Rainbow Dash quickly rubbed at her eyes then hurried in behind her mother. She daintily approached the bed, attention divided between the hard expression her mother bore and the bedridden purple stallion.

“He- he’s gonna be okay, right?” The words were little more than a whisper as the young filly fought to not tear up at the sight.

The unconscious pegasus lay on his back looking rather peaceful as he slept.

Soarin nudged his mother. 

The mare unfroze and shuffled a little closer to the love of her life. His breathing was shallower than normal. A grayish purple hoof reached out and captured the right forehoof of the bedridden pegasus. Standing this close, Gust could smell the foul scent of alcohol. Whatever was in the final bottle he had opened was truly nasty. Thankfully, it was a lot weaker than when she had found him earlier in the day.

The haggard weathermare lent in and tenderly nuzzled her husband. “Come back to me...”

Rainbow Dash watched the exchange with wide eyes. “Daddy’s gonna be okay, isn’t he?”

“Yes,” Gust coarsely replied.

Spitfire gave her worried coltfriend a hug. His set jaw melted under her affection and his eyes scrunched shut.

As the hug drew on, Rainbow Dash turned away from her brother and approached her mother and father. The light greyish-blue mare gave her girl a boost and set her carefully on the bed.

Rainbow Dash recoiled as her sire breathed out slowly. She buried her muzzle into the purple barrel of her dad.

“You sfink ‘ad,” the muffled complaint brought a sad smile to Gust who gently rubbed her daughter’s back.

Soarin shuffled up alongside his mother. As her wing descended upon him she realized her feathers had settled upon two young pegasi. She glanced down at the couple. Soarin snuggled up close to his mother and gave her a hug while Spitfire nuzzled his chin comfortingly.

The mother mare smiled. “See... he’s going to be okay... We’re going to be okay.”


As the small family left the downed stallion’s room, Gust turned to the bubblegum pink nurse. “Thank you.”

The kind looking pegasus smiled back, her eyes upon the rainbow maned filly who sat atop mum. “You’re most welcome. As we don’t have unicorn magic to purge his stomach, Blaze is expected to be unconscious for at least the rest of the day. But don’t worry, our methods of healing appear to be well received by his vessel. Providing he continues to react this way to our care, he should be allowed to return home tomorrow sometime. Thank you for bringing him in as soon as you did, I have a feeling that you might just have saved his life.”

Gust nodded, the news caused the clearly stressed pegasus to relax somewhat. “Thank you.”



With a flick of her wings, Gust stood tall and strode down the hallway. Rainbow Dash nuzzled deeper into her mother’s mane, her wings drooped by her sides.

Soarin and Spitfire trudged silently along beside the older pegasus. The young couple failed to notice that there was a vibrant yellow wing extended across the colt’s light blue hindquarters. They received several curious glances and smiles as they made their way through the hallways, out past the reception and to the front door.

“Son?” 



“Hm?” Soarin paused at the front door.

“You do know that you both are putting on an absolutely adorable show for everypony?”

“Wha-?” 


“Whooops!” Spitfire hastily removed her wing. “Sorry. I-”

“No, no it’s fine- I... it was so comfy and nice, I-I guess we both forgot.” Soarin stuttered.

Dash faked a gag but couldn’t help but grin down at her embarrassed brother.

Gust smiled happily down at the couple. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of. I just thought I might tell you before we stepped outside.”

“Thanks, mom. But you could have told us earlier.” The colt gave the door a light shove and hurried outside.

Gust laughed then followed.

Spitfire glanced around the reception room of Cloudsdale hospital. She recognized none of the bored or antsy looking ponies. She shrugged. Maybe that had been okay. The growing filly hurried out.



The wide, open air street outside the hospital had the odd pegasus walking lazily along. Everpony else was enjoying the late afternoon air in the skies.

The teenaged filly trotted up to the small family, “where to now?”

“Well...” Gust sighed. “It’s getting late in the afternoon. I feel like an early dinner. How about we go out for dinner then go home?”

“Fine by me,” Soarin shrugged.

“Okay,” Dash agreed as she played with her mother’s mane. “Can I invite Fluttershy out to dinner with us?”

“Only if Soarin and Spitfire will take you to her house. I don’t feel like flying all the way there.”

“Okay,” Soarin spoke up. “I think it’s about ten minutes from here to Fluttershy’s place. Then where do we meet you, mom?”

“How about... Freddy’s diner?” The weathermare offered.

Soarin perked up. “Sounds good.”

Spitfire grinned at her coltfriend’s reaction. “You don’t mind me sticking around do you, Mrs. Dash?”

“Of course not.”

“What if I was to stay the night?” Spitfire tentatively asked.

“But we don’t have a guest room for you.”

“I can sleep in the lounge,” Spitfire responded hopefully. “I just wanna be close to my coltfriend in case he needs me.”

“Or... you could... you know. Sleep with me?” Soarin offered rather eagerly.

The teens shared a glance. Soarin blushed lightly. They turned to the mother mare who shrugged. “I feel like having family around. And it feels like you’ve been a part of this family since before you started dating my son, so why not...?”

Soarin broke out into a grin too, “Okay, thanks mom.”

“Get permission from your mother first.”

“Okay,” Spitfire nodded. “Hey, Soar?”

“Yeah?”

“It’s what, less than ten minutes from Fluttershy’s to my Mom’s house?”

“About that, yeah?”

Spitfire thought for a few moments, “so if we see you... in about thirty minutes?”

Gust shrugged, “fine by me.”

The tough weathermare settled down on the soft cloud roadside and allowed her daughter to dismount. “I’ll do some more cleaning at home then meet you all there.”

“Okay, thanks mom!” Dash gave her mother a quick supportive nuzzle then rushed to her brother for a ride.

As the family parted ways, Rainbow Dash couldn’t help but glance back at the receding form of her mother. “Mum will be okay, won't she?”

“Of course,” Soarin replied with as much confidence as he could muster. "She's the strongest pony I know."

Dash tried her best to smile but failed, “yeah.”


A trio of pegasi arrived at the serene home of Fluttershy. Rainbow Dash carefully leapt off her brother’s shoulders, rushed up to the door and knocked briskly. Her forehooves began to tap rapidly as boredom ate away at her.


“Rainbow Dash?” Autumn gazed down at the bold little filly in surprise as he opened the front door. “If I didn’t know better, I would guess you lived here.”

The joke fell on flat on the three young pegasi in front of the stallion. The pale green stallion’s muzzle scrunched up, “Somepony die?”

“Dad got himself sent to hospital for drinking too much,” Soarin shot back sourly.

Autumn’s gaze hardened. “Shit. He gonna be okay?”

“I think so,” Soarin nodded hopefully.



“I hope he’s kept home for a few days to recover. I don’t wanna see him looking wrecked at work.”

“You won’t see him tomorrow,” Soarin sighed as his mind went back to the downed stallion in hospital.

“Yeah,” Dash spoke up softly. “The nurse said something about keeping him there.”

“Till tomorrow, but then he will be able to come home,” Spitfire added quickly.

“Daddy? Who’s- Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy leapt out the door, rushed up to her friend and gave her a quick hug. “Why are you back already?”

“Dad’s sick in hospital,” Dash explained as she returned the hug.

“Oh no! Is he okay?”

“Yeah, I think. Mom offered to take us out to dinner. I wanted to ask if you wanna come too.”

“Oh,” Fluttershy turned to her father. “I-I don’t know... mom just started making our dinner.”

“It’s fine. You go support your best friend.”

Fluttershy gazed up at her dad with wide eyes. “A-are you sure, daddy?”

“Yes, but your mom and I would like to see you home as soon as dinner has finished.” The pale green stallion turned to the teenaged couple. “As long as you two make sure she gets home safe and sound after dinner, I don’t have a problem.”

“We will,” Soarin replied firmly.

“Okay, be good Fluttershy.”



“Thank you, daddy,” Fluttershy rushed up to her father and gave him a hug.

Once the red maned pegasus had retreated inside, the latest addition to the party turned to her best friend. “What happened to your dad?”

Dash sighed, “He- He... ugh...”

“Dad is sick because he had too much of a bad drink,” Soarin carefully spoke up. “He’s in hospital for the night so they can make him all better.”

Spitfire eyed her coltfriend. He met her gaze.

Fluttershy gave her best friend another hug. “I’m sure he will be okay... why don’t we go? Food will help you feel better.”

“Yeah...” Dash straightened up a bit. “Yeah.”

The multicoloured filly’s grip on her best friend lingered for a few long moments. She coughed nervously then rubbed her eyes. “Okay... let’s go.”

Soarin waited patiently for his sister as she meandered over to him. He picked her up in his forelegs and carried her off. Fluttershy curled up in Spitfire’s forelegs as she too was picked up, her eyes squeezed shut and she let out a little “eep!”

Once the small group was cursing along the flight lane toward the diner, the shy filly relaxed a bit. Her eyes cracked open and she spotted her best friend.

Rainbow Dash had a smile on her face. Her wings were open and she was being carried like a little pod under a larger carrier airship. Pale blue forelegs tethered her firmly in place and she was doing her best to mirror her brother’s positioning as he cursed along. Soarin wore a stoic, flat expression as he concentrated on his flight and the safety of his little sister.

The shy filly glanced up at the darker yellow teen who carried her.

“You want to try that too?” Spitfire offered.

Fluttershy briskly shook her head and curled up a bit more.

“Okay.” Spitfire relented and continued to fly in the more upright position she was maintaining for easier bridal style carrying.


Rainbow Dash found herself in her bedroom. The sun had set. It was time for little fillies to go to bed. But for some reason, she could not seem to find blessed sleep. The youngster picked up the plush toy of her father from his position by her bedside. 

She gazed at it for a few sombre moments before she clutched it close. A few tears escaped as she wiggled back and forth in bed. “Please come back, Daddy... I promise I won’t say mean things about you, ever again...”

The young filly’s mind wandered to her best friend. Fluttershy would be cool to have around right now. Why did she have to go home after dinner? It was a shame she couldn’t spend another night out at her house.

It had been nice, playing together in the bath... sleeping together... and ...snuggling.

How in the world was snuggling cool?

It should have been uncool.

Yet somehow, the thought of snuggling up at night with Fluttershy was especially appealing to the lone filly right now.

As her mind wandered from her friend she quickly found herself wondering about her poor father.

“Dumb dad... why did you do that...?” Dash uttered. 

The raincloud walls and plush toy failed to answer the filly who sighed.

A light blue muzzle poked around the corner of her open door, “hey, Dash?”

The normally vibrant filly shot up in bed. She quickly hid the toy. “Soarin? Whatdoyouwant?”

“Spitty and I can’t sleep. Wanna come and play a game with us?”

“Sure.” Rainbow Dash leapt off the bed and approached her brother.

The colt remained in place, his gaze upon the spot where the purple plush with a rainbow mane had been hidden.

“Soar?”

“It’s okay if you wanna bring dad too.”

“Y- you sure? He’s just a toy.”

“Yeah. I think I want him too.”

Rainbow Dash nodded slowly then rushed back to her bed and fished the plushie out from under the sheet. The young pegasus gazed into its static eyes for a few moments, wishing she could be looking at the face of her real dad. 

Rainbow Dash snapped out of her trance as a wing fell upon her back. “Do you... want a hug, sis?”

Rainbow Dash nodded as she fell into the waiting hooves of her older brother. “Thanks...”

“You know, if you ever need anything, I’m here for you, right?”

Rainbow Dash nodded briskly. “Yeah. Let’s go. I’m sure your fillyfriend is waiting for us.”

Soarin tenderly eyed the plush toy grasped firmly by a blue forehoof. “Okay. Yeah.”

Once outside her room Rainbow Dash paused again, her gaze upon the door at the far end of the hallway. The door to her parents’ room.

Soarin noticed, “she’s sleeping Dash. I think today wiped her out.”

The small blue filly nodded then cantered to the kitchen where they found Spitfire dealing out three hands at the dinner table. The older filly noticed the plush toy that was reverently placed between the two siblings as they took their seats. The vibrant yellow filly elected to not comment as she continued to set up the card game.

Author's Note:

So I was going to continue the main story and be back into Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash at school by now.
But this...

I had a cool what-if idea and wondered if I should go with it.
Then I remembered I had started and never finished a scene with Spectra at school and that led to more ideas for a return to later days (but before the scene in chapter 1). I thought it would be something fun to drop in the middle of the crisis. You will hopefully see why I have started bringing up other times now of all times in the next chapter.