• Published 21st Feb 2017
  • 2,690 Views, 464 Comments

Dogged Determination - kudzuhaiku



Every dog has their day. This is a story about that day. And in no way is the narrator influencing what is said here.

  • ...
14
 464
 2,690

Can you dig it, bitch?

“Shēdo no understand what just happened.” Standing in the street, Shēdo admired her new bag and thought about all of their new supplies. She felt suspicious about what had just taken place, and she felt guilty for feeling suspicious. She wanted to believe that there were good creatures in the world, even after everything that had happened.

“What don’t you understand?” Conifer asked as he rubbed up against Shēdo to enjoy her fluffiness.

“Everything,” Shēdo replied. With a grunt, she gestured at the general store.

“Well,” Conifer began, drawing the word out and making it long. “He did say that he wants Rusty Rail to be the next Ponyville, whatever that means. They have to start somewhere, and that means building a reputation. Being nice is an advantage for them, because we’ll go out into the world and tell others about how nice the ponies of Rusty Rail are.”

“So he gives away stuff?”

“It’s called altruism.”

Hearing the strange word that Shēdo had never heard before, she barked. A nearby pony stood staring, but did so in a polite way. Reaching up, she began scratching at the back of her skull, using the calloused pads of her paw, and not her diggy-diggy claws. Diggy-diggy claws could become scalpy-scalpy claws if she wasn’t careful.

“Doing good for the sake of doing good,” Conifer continued, his whole face scrunching from concentration as he tried to think of a way to explain this to his companion. “Although in this instance he is hoping for a return from his investment in kindness, he is still doing good for the sake of doing good. Dodge City Junction is apparently a bad, bad place, and Rusty Rail is trying to be the exact opposite.”

“So… like Shēdo trying to be a good dog for the sake of being a good dog, because so many dogs are bad?” Shēdo reached down and her paw came to rest on Conifer’s back. “Shēdo do good to make up for the bad that her kind has done.”

“Yeah… that sort of works.” Conifer wiggled around a bit, trying to scratch his back beneath Shēdo’s calloused paws. “But altruism is doing something good, doing the right thing even though you might not get anything in return.”

“Samurai.” Shēdo bowed her head. “Stories of how things were. Do good for the sake of honour. Do right for the sake of one’s soul. Exercise builds the muscle, but only good deeds make the soul stronger, Minori say.”

“That sounds incredibly wise.” Conifer swayed back and forth, trying to get an itchy spot scratched. “Altruism as a form of soul calisthenics.” When Shēdo’s paw began rubbing his back, the zebra colt’s eyes rolled into the back of his head and his tongue hung out, sensation robbing him of all intellect.

“Shēdo do altruism,” she announced as she gave her zebra companion an absentminded scratch. With her other paw, she gestured at the tiny town all around her. “If Shēdo do good and keep ponies safe, then ponies safe to do good and good is done. If little ponies are in danger, they get scared, they stay in houses and maybe not do as much good. Right?”

Conifer did not reply, but stood there, looking stupid while getting his back scratched.


It could not be contested that some earth ponies were natural diggers, but they had hooves, and not diggy-diggy claws. Shēdo, a diamond dog, had diggy-diggy claws, diggy-diggy claws that were imbued with strong magic meant to move earth. She could carve through granite with one swipe, and diggy-diggy claws were one of the few things that could pierce diamond dog bones with ease.

Shēdo watched, trying to be polite, she hadn’t been invited to come and dig in the unfinished cellar, but she wanted to. Oh, how she wanted to. Her tail wagged from side to side while she watched the two earth ponies chip away at the bedrock with their hooves. In minutes, she could reduce the bedrock to gravel.

Overcome, Shēdo gave into her natural inclination. She didn’t have to dig; nodoggy was making her dig, but she wanted to dig, she needed to dig to satisfy the itch. She lept down into the cellar, ignoring the ladder, and her five-foot-tall bulk crashed to the unfinished floor like a dropped stone. One of the earth ponies let out a startled cry and both of them got out of the way of the charging diamond dog who stood with claws extended.

Diggin’.

There was no feeling greater than diggin’ for pleasure. Shēdo tore into the bedrock, sinking in her diggy-diggy claws, and shredding the stone as though it was soft cheese. In mere moments she had a pile of gravel at her hind-paws and she had carved away quite a bit of stone. The earth ponies, realising that Shēdo posed no threat, now watched with wide-eyed wonder as a real digger took over and did in mere moments what took them hours.

Shēdo’s powerful forearms were as big around as their necks and her front paws were as big as their heads. Though she did not know it, she was a powerful creature, even as a pup. She might have been small by diamond dog standards, but she was still a diamond dog, and as such, she was a hulking menace made of muscle, sinew, and fur. Shēdo and her species could only be described as the ogres of canine-kind.

Dust and gravel flew as Shēdo carved away the stone. Her claws grew warm and tingled, the magic in them was strong, and now that they were properly warmed up, they became even sharper, if that could be believed. Above her, Conifer looked down at his companion, curious, studying her, watching her every move.

Perhaps the most amazing thing was the sound. It defied description, the sound of stone being ripped and shredded at such an amazing pace was a terrific noise indeed. Shēdo’s hind paws were now almost buried in gravel, and she had carved away several square yards of stone in a short time, digging away with frantic, canine glee, her tongue lolling out from the side of her muzzle.


The cellar was done, for the most part, a big square empty space that went down about twelve feet into the ground. It was full of gravel, but that could be hauled out later and then used wherever it was needed. Days, maybe weeks worth of work had been done in mere hours, thanks to Shēdo’s efforts.

As for the happy little bitch herself, she was sitting near the edge of the cellar, making an awkward attempt to lap some lemonade out of a glass. Her diggy-diggy claws were still smoking—the smoke smelled like hot earth—and she looked happy all covered in dust. Several ponies had come out of their houses to rubberneck and Conifer spoke to them, glad to have somepony to chat up.

And this is the part where it gets interesting, you see. This is the part where I become a little envious of Shēdo, though it pains me to admit it. She’s a diamond dog; a big, scary, brutish creature with a well-known reputation for eating delicious bite-sized ponies. Equines of all tribes have all manner of frightful, keep-you-awake-at-night stories about diamond dogs capturing silly little ponies foolish enough to leave the safety of the herd and then eating them, or something just as horrific, like grinding their cute little bones to make some adorable little loaves of bread.

It just doesn’t seem fair. Shēdo just gains acceptance with no real effort on her part, but I… a draconequus, there was never any acceptance for me. No trust. No warmth. No friendship. Why is it that I was made to be a pariah, but Shēdo can dig a hole and find acceptance? I was helpful! I narrated the blue brat’s potty training so she would stop widdling everywhere! Nopony likes stepping in puddles! It’s just not fair, I tell you, not fair at all. Ponies are fickle creatures and I cannot help but wonder, when will they turn on her, and how bloody will it be when the inevitable happens?


Dinner was pinto beans, plenty of them, served over a brick of cornbread. A number of ponies gathered in the common room of the hotel and they ate as ponies tended to do; loud, noisy, with a lot of gusto. Hot chilis had been stewed with the beans, along with some savoury vegetables.

Royal Anne Cherry sat with her new guests, watching them eat, and smiling a kind smile. Her mane was now pulled back into a tight, neat bun. She had washed before dinner, to get the dust off, and now she was fresh-faced. It made her look younger somehow, and her eyes appeared more vibrant.

“You know, y’all could stay,” Royal Anne said to the pup and the zebra colt. “We’d be right glad to have ya. If’n you stayed, we’d help you build a house and everything. I’m certain that some paid work would come for you in time, but we’d be happy to carry you along until it did.”

“I was hoping to see the world a bit more,” Conifer said in between bites of food.

Hearing the colt’s words, Royal Anne’s eyes appeared a little sad. “The world, it ain’t a kind place. You could stay here with me… I’ll be happy to take you in and look after ya. Both of you seem like good, decent folk. And both y’all are so young.”

Wiping her muzzle with the back of her forearm, Shēdo swallowed a mouthful of beans and looked at the mare across the table. “We can’t stay. Shēdo sorry, but Shēdo has work to do.”

“What work is that?” Royal Anne asked.

“The Black Hound spared I. Now, Shēdo must hunt down other diamond dogs that do bad. Must keep favour of Black Hound. With own eyes, Shēdo has seen the destruction that Black Hound can do. Shēdo has seen his anger, his wrath, and Shēdo want no part of his fury.”

Now, Royal Anne looked troubled, and the edges of her mouth sagged.

“Now, Shēdo get revenge.” The diamond dog hung her head a bit and her ears hung limp. “Shēdo must get revenge, for Shēdo has seen proof that Black Hound exists and now Shēdo do His will. Shēdo not want head lopped off for being a bad, lazy dog.”

“But revenge is a terrible business,” Royal Anne said to the diamond dog pup. Both of her front hooves rested upon the edge of the table and she gave her head a sad shake. “What sort of life will ya have? Why would you do this to yourself? What do ya hope to accomplish? How will ya support yourself?”

Shrugging, Shēdo looked a little confused after the onslaught of words. “What choice do Shēdo have? Black Hound not forgiving. Bad dogs were punished and Shēdo spared.” Her jowls sagged and she added, “Good dogs died too, along with bad ones. Minori gone. Kabuki gone. Long Ears, gone. All of tribe taken by Black Hound. Rocks shattered. Home destroyed. Shēdo not even had howl yet to honour the dead. Just holding the sadness in, I guess.”

“This Black Hound seems terrible—”

“Black Hound is terrible, but easy to avoid.” Shēdo’s brows furrowed and her hound face became wizened. “Don’t be bad dog. Too many bad dogs now. Diamond dogs all turning bad. Need to be reminded of Black Hound. Need to be warned to turn away before Black Hound come for them.”

“Are you sure the Black Hound is real, sweetheart?” Royal Anne now looked very worried.

“Yes. Seen his passing. Saw my home. Saw his destruction. Shēdo was spared because I took head of Crag Daggle and I offer it to Black Hound to appease him. He has new head for sack of heads. I do right by giving him bad dog head. Maybe others die because they not fight to do right. I don’t know. They gone, I live. I do will of Black Hound and punish bad dogs.”

“Revenge is a bad business,” Royal Anne said once more. “Finish your food, and then I wish to show y’all something.”

Hunched over her food, Shēdo nodded.


Behind the hotel, in the shade of the building, there were a row of outhouses, a little garden patch, and three markers. It was Conifer that recognised them as headstones, and the zebra colt stared at them, unmoving. Royal Anne trembled as she too, stared at the stones, then she looked over at Shēdo and in a quavering voice, she poured her heart out.

“Two daughters, both lost to thieves and rustlers. They was taken and bad things was done. About a month later, we got the news from the sheriff of Dodge City Junction. My husband went off and crossed the alkali flats to take matters into his own hooves when the sheriff said that he couldn’t do nothing ‘bout our plight.” Royal Anne strode over to the headstones and stood beside them, looking distraught.

“My husband’s remains were found quite some time later by prospectors.” Royal Anne turned to look at Shēdo with wide, pleading eyes. “There ain’t no future in revenge. There is nothing to be had, nothing at all. Stay with me, both of y’all. You don’t have to go.”

Shaking her head, Shēdo’s ears flopped from side to side. “Shēdo sorry… but I have work to do.”

“But I could make you happy.” Royal Anne’s voice was pleading.

“The Black Hound will come if I don’t do his will. All will be lost. There will be much suffering. Shēdo sorry, but I can’t stay.”

Blinking away tears, Royal Anne looked into Shēdo’s eyes. “I wish you would reconsider…”

Author's Note:

A somewhat more edited version might be uploaded later.