• Published 28th Sep 2017
  • 4,363 Views, 133 Comments

Thousand Year Absence - Masterweaver



It's been a thousand years, but they're finally going back to Equestria. Hopefully it hasn't changed all that much...

  • ...
11
 133
 4,363

The Farewell

"FORTY FIVE MINUTES!"

Rarity nodded at the announcement, putting down the polishing stone. "There we go, Spike, your scales are all glossed up and ready to go. And might I say, you make quite the sight."

"Heh, thanks Rares." The dragon rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. "You're looking pretty good as well. I mean, not that you don't always look good. It's just, it's been a while since we dropped the morph spell and--"

Rarity shut him up with a deep kiss, wrapping her forelegs around his long neck.

Rainbow mock-gagged. "Come on, you two, we're on the clock! You'll have plenty of time to make babies after we get back."

The white mare gave the pegasus a glower. "Miss Dash! You of all people should know that there are many ways to express love, and--"

"Yeah yeah, I getcha." She gave her sly grin. "But would you have really been able to stop from going all the way if I weren't being a buzzkill?"

"A lady has some restraint," Rarity replied with a huff. "And I am a lady--Fluttershy! STOP LAUGHING!"

"I'm not, hee, I'm not laughing! It's hiccups!" Fluttershy gripped her stomach with one hand and made a squeak which could have been a hiccup, if it had not morphed into a giggle.

"Hiccups. Riiiiiight." Applejack rolled her eyes. "Shy, why haven't ya dropped tha morph? Ya know humans don't exist in Equestria!"

Fluttershy's face fell. "I... I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of being on hooves again."

"It won't be forever," Spike pointed out. "We just don't want to cause a panic. As soon as we tell the princesses about our experiences, you can go back to having hands."

Fluttershy sighed, looking away.

"...That ain't it at all, though, is it?" Applejack asked gently.

"I'm just... I'm happier here then I was in Equestria. I have friends, I have family..." She looked over the balcony rails at the partygoers, who were gradually growing more somber. "Spike's letters stopped getting through. What if we can't contact Earth after we go back?"

"I'm fairly certain it was just a collapse in the thaumic channeling link," Twilight assured her, levitating a crystal as big as her head as she trotted past her. "All we need to do is re-establish it, and inter-world communication will be restored. Throw in some of our advances in--hunnf--micromagic circuitry, and I can all but guarantee we'll have an inter-world portal in one, maybe two months, and a full out transit station by the year's end." She glanced around the runic circle as she pushed the crystal with a purple hoof. "Thirty five minutes. Everyone got everything they're taking with?"

Her friends all nodded, checking their saddlebags and rechecking the enchantments on them. Applejack gave Rarity a look. "Yah made sure that--"

"Yes, yes, I limited what I was taking. I'm not over the weight limit."

"...Who're ya gettin' ta look after what you left behind?"

"Charisma and Jasmine. They're excellent girls, and they needed someplace to stay while they were studying."

"Eh, suppose you would know."

Rainbow Dash looked over the balcony. "OY! PINKIE! GET YOUR FLANK UP HERE! WE'VE GOT," she turned to Twilight. "Thirty minutes?"

"About right."

"THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE HOPTIME!"

"But I haven't finished saying goodbye yet!" Pinkie wailed, clutching at the various people around her with teary eyes.

"Oh come on Pinkie, don't cry! If you cry, I'm gonna start crying, and then Fluttershy will cry and then we'll be in a big hugpile and then Twilight will panic because we're running short on time--"

"You've got twenty-five minutes, Pinkie!" Twilight shouted. "I want you up here before the five minute mark, got it?"

"I got it, I got it." Pinkie returned to hugging the people around her. "Goodbye Maple! Keep working on your art! Goodbye Hotshot, I'm sorry I won't get to see your big game. Jess, Jack, it's... it's been fun, and I wish we had more time together, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to come back so please don't wait for me, just keep doing what you're doing, okay? For each other..."

Rarity bit her lip. "Maybe I... maybe I should make a few final farewells myself--"

"We've been saying goodbye all day," Spike reminded her gently. "I checked your list, and there's... basically nobody you haven't already handled."

"If it helps, I did prepare a speech," Twilight offered. "I was planning on starting it five minutes before hoptime, so... in twenty minutes, I think."

"Maybe we should take turns giving speeches," Fluttershy suggested hesitantly. "Or at least, big public goodbyes."

Applejack looked up at her, hesitated, and shook her head with a sigh. "Ah don't think that's such a good idea. We're having a hard enough time breaking it off as is... we need ta focus now. The deadline's comin' up, and we can't avoid it." She lowered her head. "Better to be ready than be caught up in a chat."

Fluttershy knelt down, cupping the mare's chin in her hand. "Are you... are you okay?"

"...nothing Ah ain't been through before, Shy. Ah'll be fahn in a bit."

"Is a bit going to happen before or after we're back in Equestria?"

Applejack broke her head out of Fluttershy's gentle grasp. "Drop tha morph, Shy. We've only got twenty minutes."

Fluttershy opened her mouth, paused, and nodded slowly. Her fingers went up to the butterfly gem around her neck; her form wavered and contorted, shrinking in her blouse. In a few moments, a pegasus kicked off the now too-large garments.

Rarity picked them up in her magic, folding them gently and stashing them in the waiting saddlebags. "You'll be back in them soon," she said, almost too brightly. "Best not to lose them before then, no?"

Fluttershy nodded meekly, walking to the saddlebags and putting them on. "I hope you're right, Rarity."

"You know what the worst part about this is?" Rainbow's wings fluttered. "The waiting. I mean if there was like this big gate and we stood before it and hesitated a lot, sure, I could get that. But it's more like we just don't have any control over it at all."

"We may not have control over the surge," Twilight said, "but we've got control over how we manipulate it."

"More like you have control," Rainbow grumped.

"What, you don't trust me?"

"No, of course I trust you. I just feel kind of useless just standing here and watching you prod that crystal."

"It'll only be for fifteen more minutes, Dash." Twilight gave her a small smile. "You'll probably be the one to scout out the area after we get back."

"Right." She nodded. "I'll... be ready for that, I guess."

Applejack glanced at the balcony railing, her ears flicking back. "...do ya think anyone but the princesses will remember us?"

There was a moment of silence.

"...some of the dragons might," Spike offered weakly. "And Discord."

"No, Ah mean... Ah get that lil' Bloom's..." Applejack swallowed. "Ah mean, a thousand years. Ah'm sort of... wonderin' if, ya know, we're figures of legend by now."

"I guess that would be cool," Rainbow Dash murmured. "Being hailed as the ancient heroes."

"...we can't take anything for granted," Twilight reminded them. "We have to be ready to adapt to any changes..." She took a breath. "Ponyville might not even exist anymore."

The gathered mares lowered their eyes to the ground.

"...I don't know what's worse." Fluttershy kicked the ground. "I want you to be able to form a portal back quickly, but... I also want to be able to stay and help, if they need it."

"Building a bridge might be the best chance we have to help them." Twilight shut her eyes. "Ten minutes. Could... could somebody call Pinkie up?"

"She's still got five--"

"I know, Rarity, but... I don't want us to be wrangling her to the last second."

Rarity took a breath, and let out a slow sigh. She walked over to the balcony. "Pinkamena, you should wrap it up. We're going to have to leave very soon."

"But Raaaaaaaaaaaaritiiiiiiiiiiii--"

"Please, Pinkie! Just..." Rarity bit her lip. "Just, please. I... it's getting intense up here."

Pinkie blinked, looking at her face. "...Okay. I... Okay." She turned back to the crowd, giving one last hug that enveloped five people, before walking up the stairs. By the time she joined the rest of them, her hair had lost most of its bounce.

"...morph," Twilight quietly reminded her.

With a nod, the woman became a mare, jumping easily out of her clothes as she had many times before. Unlike any of those times, it managed to somehow be a somber moment.

"Everything in your bags?" Applejack asked gently.

"Uh-huh." Pinkie stuffed her clothes into the saddlebags, taking up her place.

Twilight sighed. "I'm sorry, Pinkie. I do wish we had longer."

"I know." She glanced up. "Five minutes, right?"

Twilight nodded. She turned, walking to the edge of the balcony, and tapped her hoof on the railing. Below, the crowd went silent.

"...I would... I would like to thank you all. I know you don't remember when we first came here--none of you were even born yet, but..." Twilight inhaled. "You've all helped us, and we... we've become close. We've become a family. Some of us more literally than others, true. And I'm sorry that we have to do this."

She glanced back at the gem, steadied herself, and turned around.

"I don't know when we'll be able to come back. Maybe a few hours, maybe a month... if we're really unlucky, maybe a year or more. But we will be back. Because, well... you... you mean too much to just leave behind. We're going home, and we're going to clean up, and then.... then we'll be back and ready to invite you all for a visit. So, just... thank you all, for making these last few days so memorable."

The crowd was silent for a moment.

Then, somewhere, somebody began to clap. Then somebody else, and another.

Twilight managed, just barely, to smile as the applause filled the massive room, even as tears threatened to blind her. With a final wave, she forced herself to turn around and take her place.

"Not one of yer more structured speeches, Ah reckon."

"Didn't.... feel right, doing a big lecture." Twilight glanced at the crystal. "One minute left."

"Right." Pinkie inhaled. "Right. Time for smiles, girls and drake. We've got to be ready to cheer the welcome party!"

"It'll be pretty sweet to show my new stunts off to new fans," Rainbow managed, her cocky tone just barely cracking.

"I'd love to see what fashions have cropped up in my absence," Rarity mused.

"I... I guess I'll just see if there's any new animal species that have been discovered," Fluttershy murmured.

"Don't worry," Twilight assured her, "we're all going to be here to help you out. Spike? You ready to take a letter?"

Spike grinned. "You know me, Twi. I'm always ready."

"Good. Cause we're making the jump in five... four... three... two... o--"

The crystal flared with light, spinning rapidly as the runic circle began to glow brightly. Beams lashed out, connecting to the gems worn around their necks, and the one that had only recently returned to Twilight's brow. A rainbow spiraled around them, rising up high and shrieking with potent power.

And then, in a flash... they were off.