• Published 21st Feb 2017
  • 512 Views, 7 Comments

Rainbow Dash Goes to Hell - Obsidian Chitin



After her death, Rainbow Dash ends up in the Equestrian underworld.

  • ...
 7
 512

No Rest For the Living

Rainbow Dash sat alone in the Everfree forest. Light from the sunset filtered through the treetops, the rays falling upon her as she stared at her reflection in the pond. When she first saw what she looked like, she was horrified. She felt something was wrong when she came back to life, now she could see what it was. Her ears flicked, trying to point behind her.

Her friends would be coming soon.

Rainbow Dash got up, flared her wings, and launched into the air. She pulled off a triple loop, then an aileron roll. The new wings would take getting used to, but it seemed that they did not slow her down. Good.

Rainbow Dash!”

Aw, horsefeathers. With a quick 180, Rainbow shot off deeper into the forest. She scanned the trees as she flew, looking for a particular Tree. She knew it was in a gorge, or trench, or canyon, or whatever Twilight called. She might only have one shot at this, and she didn’t want Twilight trying to stop her.

A flash of purple magic next to her startled her.

“Hey!” Twilight shouted. “Could you please-"

Her voice sounded quieter as Rainbow Dash outpaced her. Three, two, one…

Flash.

“That was rude, could you please-”

Flash.

“Slow down a second? We-”

Flash.

“-Have so much to talk-”

Flash.

“-About! You were dead-”

Flash.

“-For pony’s sake! How-”

Rainbow Dash saw her target, and nosedived. With precision, she pulled up just before hitting the ground, and her hooves touched rock lightly. In front of her, the cave containing the Tree of Harmony.

Flash. “-Could you please stop doing… The Tree of Harmony? You want to use the Elements?” Twilight’s annoyance and frustration gave way to confusion and curiosity, then the joy of discovery as she reached a conclusion. “You know who’s attacking Equestria, and you’re getting the Elements to save everypony again! Rainbow, if you had just explained that instead of just taking off-”

Rainbow Dash launched forward as fast as she could at the Tree before turning and delivering a hard kick to the branch holding her own Element. A large clang resonated through the cave as Rainbow bounced off, grunting in pain.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing?!” Twilight yelled as she grabbed Rainbow magically and pulled her back, the demon pony fighting against her hold.

“Saving Equestria, that’s what!” Rainbow yelled back, in Twilight’s face. Twilight immediately cowered, and Rainbow’s eyes widened. “Twilight, I’m sorry. But I have to do this.”

Twilight looked up. “But why?”

“Because the Tree isn’t just some magic thing that helps us out for no reason, it’s a crutch! We don’t need it, and the more we rely on it, the weaker we get!” Rainbow said. “It’s controlling us!”

Twilight looked at Rainbow like she had three heads.

“I look like a conspiracy-theorist-nut, but I’m serious. Persephone told me everything.” Rainbow said.

“Who?”

“She’s like a goddess or something. She’s who brought me back. Yeah, I look freaky, but I’m back, Twilight. I’m alive! I just have to do a little thing for her, that’s all.” Rainbow explained.

“A goddess?” Twilight said. She looked unconvinced. “How do you know you can trust her?”

“She isn’t evil, she just understands us in a way even we don’t. Equestria relies on us, and only us. Most of the time, we only win through luck. Don’t you think that should change?” Rainbow said. “We have the chance to tell fate to go buck itself and do our own thing! Is that really that bad?”

“No, I guess not.” Twilight admitted hesitantly. “But destroying the Tree of Harmony is going too far! What if we need it?”

“What if we don’t? What if we never needed it?” Rainbow said.

“I don’t… Rainbow…” Twilight said. She was starting to understand her friend’s point, but this was going too far. “Can’t we just leave it alone?”

“No, Twilight. It spreads Harmony magic or something, and it might have been controlling us all along.” Rainbow said. “Do you think ponies randomly burst out into song by choice?”

“Hey, I enjoy those moments! I think they’re kind of cute.” Twilight said.

“Yes, but ponies singing in harmony and dancing with perfect choreography with no practice beforehoof? Isn’t that mind control? What was it I said before, Twilight, when your student took control of us just to make herself look good to you?” Dash asked.

“I don’t know, I wasn’t there.” Twilight said.

Don’t cast spells on your friends. This thing has been casting spells on us well before day one. It is not our friend.” Rainbow said.

“How do you know all this?” Twilight asked.

“Persephone. She told me enough to realize the rest.” Rainbow said.

Twilight shuffled her hooves uncomfortably, then trotted over to the Tree of Harmony. “Are you sure?”

“I’m positive.” Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight mulled it over, staring at her own Element in the center of the Tree. Was this the right thing to do? Would Equestria be better off, or would she doom it?

As she contemplated, she noticed her Element shining brighter.

“Twilight! Look out!” Dash shouted as she charged toward the Tree, but she was too late. A bolt of magic from the Element of Magic shot out and connected with Twilight’s horn. A look of surprise crossed Twilight’s face before dissolving into an expression of serenity. Light blue crystals began forming around her body like an armor, her wings turning white and her body starting to glow. The bolt ceased, knocking Twilight’s head back like it just recieved an uppercut.

Twilight turned around. “No, I don’t think you’ll be doing that.” She spoke in a soft voice, one very different from her own. It was ethereal and motherlike, with infinite wisdom and patience.

“No…” Rainbow muttered as realization took hold. “No, no! Twilight!”

“Twilight is safe, Rainbow. I would not allow harm to come to her. My name is Harmonia, and we have much to discuss.” The goddess-possessed pony said.