• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 2,796 Views, 98 Comments

Of Innocence Lost - Lunafan1k



A book of evil finds its way into innocent hooves.

  • ...
6
 98
 2,796

Chapter 3 Revised

Author's Note:

Original chapter here.

Change log:
Added more brutality when Diamond Tiara assaulted Sweetie
Minor grammatical changes and other scene tidbits

Sweetie Belle awoke to a sharp pain in her side. She stifled a groan and rolled away from the nuisance, but to no avail. Just as she felt herself drift off into a blissful sleep the sharp pain returned, followed by a demanding voice.

“Sweetie Belle, wake up! You are going to be late for school!” Suddenly images of school, her teacher, and her classmates flashed through her head, forcing her groggy mind into some state of consciousness. Rarity noticed her slowly coming to and promptly opened the curtains, allowing the bright early morning rays of sunlight to burn themselves into Sweetie’s retinas. She cried out in pain and in her flailing managed to tumble off the edge of her bed with a dull thud.

“Ow! Why did you do that, Rarity!?” demanded the now wide awake Sweetie Belle as she rubbed her temples. The sudden amount of bright light made her head pound in ways previously unknown.

“Well, to wake you up, of course.” Rarity saw her sister was in more pain than should have been brought on by a bright light. “Sweetie, Are you okay?”

“I don’t know, but it’s like those migraines you keep telling me about. If this is a migraine then I have no idea how to say how sorry I am to have caused you to suffer like this…” She trailed off as she buried her head in her sheets in a vain effort to ward off the pain.

“Well in that case, come down stairs. I have a remedy for such things. One cannot imagine living with you and not having an antidote.” Sweetie shot her a glare before wincing in pain. “Oh come now, you know I didn’t mean it like that. Besides, I saw you practicing your spell last night and this is just probably from using too much magic before you got used to it. Now hurry up so we can get you to school.”

Rarity left Sweetie Belle on the floor moaning in pain as the sunlight beamed in unabated. After a few more seconds of the relentless onslaught, she decided to head downstairs, more to get out of the path of the abusive light than to prepare for school. With a grunt of pain, she was stumbling through the hall like a drunken pony.

After managing to walk a small distance using the wall for support she came across her greatest obstacle of the day: a flight of stairs. She warily approached and looked down them, intimidated. She paused and the gears in her head sputtered to life as she thought about her situation as best as she could. The best scenario was obviously that she would walk down them just fine. But given the fact she could hardly stand, let alone walk, she was most likely to fall forward onto her face and tumble down like a slinky.

In a moment of brilliance, she came up with another idea. She turned around with her back towards the stairs and lay down on her belly. Using her fore hooves, she pushed herself backwards down the stairs. If her head didn’t feel like it was about to explode she would have giggled at the strange sensation of the steps slowly moving up her body. In no time at all, she reached the bottom and decided to lay there for a moment and catch her breath, regardless if gravity did all the work.

Rarity trotted over from the kitchen and saw her sister sprawled out on the floor. With a dramatic gasp, Rarity hoisted her sister into the air and carried her into the kitchen and set her down at the table. “Well it seems you stressed your magic more than I thought. It’s going to need more than a simple aspirin to get rid of that.”

Rarity began to dig around in her cupboards while Sweetie laid her head on the table and pressed her hooves into her temples. A second later, Rarity placed a pill and a small glass with a brown liquid in front of her. Looking around she noticed Rarity with a similar glass of brown liquid.

“What’s this…?” She asked painfully.

“It’s medicine dearie, but it tastes absolutely awful until you get used to it. So simply swallow the pill and the medicine in one gulp and get it over with.” Rarity lifted her own glass and downed the liquid in an instant. After she swallowed she gasped and shook her head fiercely before looking at Sweetie with a smile.

Sweetie was never one to doubt her sister, and seeing her drink hers, she felt confident the drink wasn’t as bad as Rarity made it out to be. She placed the pill in her mouth and in a swift motion as she saw her sister carry out; she splashed the entire glass into her mouth.

“Sweetie you need to swallow it quickly!” Rarity told her in a rush.

Sweetie Belle was about to question why when she felt it; a burning sensation that felt like a small sunburn. She quickly gulped it down, the burning sensation intensified into a massive inferno as it trailed down into her stomach and burned like the heart of Celestia’s sun.

She gasped a deep breath in an effort to cool the sensitive flesh of her mouth and throat. Unfortunately this caused the pain to instantly double, sending her into a coughing fit. Suddenly she felt the sour taste of a lime being shoved into her mouth, she slowly chewed up the lime, the juices cooling her throat as they trailed down to her stomach. The juices instantly negated the effects of the raging inferno, turning it into a warm glow that spread throughout her body and dulled her migraine to nothing but a memory.

She turned to her sister who had a huge grin on her face, and seemed to be swimming in and out of focus. “Wow sis, what the hay was that stuff?”

“Do you feel better now?” Rarity asked, ignoring the question.

“I don’t think I’ve ever felt this good. That was some potion.” Sweetie said as she cuddled against her chair, curling into a comfortable ball.

“Well… It wasn’t a potion.” Sweetie raised a confused eyebrow as she sat up. “So… How did you like your first taste of whiskey?”

“I- w-wha… Huh?!” Sweetie Belle stuttered in bewilderment.

“Whiskey is best known for alleviating migraines caused by over use of magic, and to help restore your magical reserves. So why I had you drink a glass just now was not only to help you through your pain and get some magic back, but it’s also a tradition in the family. When I cast my first spell, mom and dad gave me a shot of whiskey in almost the same way. When I became of age I got into the habit of starting my days with a shot. Sewing all those dresses and designs does put me under a lot of strain. But you know what they say, ‘A shot a day keeps the migraine away!’” She said as she finished butting the bottle in the cupboard.

Rarity then returned to the table and placed a plate of the most foul things in existence in front of her. Sweetie would rather risk being burned alive by all the whiskey in Equestria than suffer through what was on that plate. Almost immediately, she pushed the offending monstrosity away from her before she was chided by Rarity. “Sweetie Belle! You will eat your beans or so help me!”

“But why do I have to? I hate them!”

“They are full of protein and will quickly restore your energy! I will not have a drunk for a sister so you had better learn to like beans! Besides, you want to show off your new spell to your friends today right?” Sweetie nodded. “Then eat your beans and you won’t embarrass yourself in front of your entire class.” Sweetie seemed to have a steeled resolve and refused to give in. Rarity quickly changed tactics, “I would hate to see what Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would say if they found out that you can’t do magic without completely exhausting yourself.”

Without another word Sweetie Belle devoured the plate of beans, barely taking the time to chew before swallowing. She was wrong about beans being the worst thing in Equestria. The two bullies at school took that title with pride. She was willing to put her distaste for beans aside if it meant rubbing their faces in the dirt, figuratively of course. She downed the beans’ aftertaste with a tall glass of water. With her mind cured and the warm fire still burning comfortably in her belly she headed outside to face the new day.


The new day quickly turned out to be just an ordinary day exactly like all the other days. Sweetie Belle had arrived to class not a minute too soon to the snickers and taunts of her bitter rivals. She was planning on only showing her friends her feat of magic in the privacy of their club house, but a better situation presented itself. The weather team was covering Ponyville with dark rain clouds for the scheduled downpour this afternoon and the darkness would be perfect for showing off her new spell.

The school bell eventually rang, signaling the beginning of recess. Sweetie followed her friends outside, where she was confronted by Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon before she could show her magic.

“Oh look, it’s the Blank Flank Club.” Diamond Tiara said snottily.

“Oh, can we be members too?” asked Silver Spoon sarcastically. “Oh wait, that’s right, we have a special talent.” The bullies laughed at Sweetie Belle and her friends’ blank flanked-ness.

The fire within Sweetie Belle rose slightly, weather it was the whiskey or pride in her magic, she didn’t know. Putting up with these two on a daily basis was becoming tiresome, and today she was going to put an end to their abuse.

“Wow really?!” She said in mock excitement. “I wish I was able to wear a tiara imbedded with diamonds all the time! It must be really hard to sleep with it digging into your head though. Oh, no it wouldn’t, you would need something in there in the first place to feel uncomfortable.”

The entire class around Sweetie Belle had their mouths hanging open and eyes wide in shock. Nopony has ever said anything like that to Diamond Tiara before. Silver Spoon was about to retaliate but Sweetie beat her to the punch.

“And you,” She rounded on her, “you must feel so special to have been spoon fed your entire life. Now that I think of it, I’ve never seen you eat anything. Your special talent must be to run home to daddy and have him feed you like a newborn foal, which is fitting because you will never amount to anything other than daddy’s little snot.”

“W-who do you think you are to speak to us like this?!” Demanded an irate Diamond Tiara.

“Obviously somepony with far greater raw talent than either of you,” Sweetie stated coolly as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Talent? You can’t even do magic, and don’t get me started on the Pegasus that can’t fly or the inbred redneck!” Diamond Tiara responded angrily.

Sweetie smirked. This was exactly the response she wanted to hear. She focused her magic into the stronger grid matrix she discovered last night, the result was a large bright ball of condensed magic the size of a filly forming at the tip of her horn. Sweetie smile, all that practice the night before really paid off, she hardly felt the strain against her magic! With a flick of her mind she released the spell.

The orb shot up to hover just below the cloud layer, then seemed to explode. The light that began to shine down was as harsh and bright in intensity as the sun itself, blinding all those unfortunate to have been watching it with the exception of Sweetie Belle as it lit up the playground brighter than a midsummer day.

Cheerilee was at her desk when the entire classroom seemed to light up brightly. She quickly ran to the window to see what the cause was, where she saw the students in the playground looking in awe at and cheering Sweetie Belle for the feat of magic. At that moment she couldn't have been more proud of her student as she returned to her paperwork with a smile.

With a winning grin, Sweetie faced her foes still rubbing the blinding light from their eyes. “And that’s without even a cutie mark.” She said smugly as she turned toward the playground.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were still in a rage at Sweetie’s words and blamed her for trying to blind them with some light spell. Needless to say, they both ran crying to Miss Cheerilee and filled her in on what Sweetie said to them, being careful to sound like they were innocent victims in the affair.

Outside, the class was in awe at both the way she took care of the bullies and the display of magic. None were more enthusiastic than her closest friends as the orb fizzled away after expending all of its energy.

“Wow sweetie that was amazing!” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Yea! Was ah right with my guess that ya was tryen too hard?”

“Yep! I asked my sister and she taught me how to focus it really easily!” She was about to delve into more details on how she was able to focus her magic when a strict voice called across the playground.

“Sweetie Belle, get in here now!” Sweetie flinched at the tone of Miss Cheerilee’s voice, but turned around and headed into the school house with dignity.

Inside she saw Miss Cheerilee standing in front of her desk with the two bullies sitting on the floor in front of her. When Sweetie Belle entered the room their heads turned to her. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon had smug looks of satisfaction that they got her in trouble, while Cheerilee wore a frown of disappointment.

“Sit down.” She motioned toward the spot to the right of Diamond Tiara. Sweetie Belle let a small smile form on her lips, she knew what was coming and was more than ready as she sat within Diamond Tiara’s personal bubble.

“Get away from me you blan-”

“Quiet!” Miss Cheerilee said with firm authority, shutting up Diamond Tiara in an instant. She then focused her attention on Sweetie Belle. “Sweetie, these two told me that you said Diamond Tiara was basically brainless and that Silver Spoon is spoon fed like a foal by her father and that both had no real talent. Is this true?”

Sweetie heaved an exaggerated sigh and looked Miss Cheerilee right in the eyes. “Yes Miss Cheerilee, it’s true.” Miss Cheerilee was about to demand her to apologize, but Sweetie wasn’t done talking. “Diamond Tiara is brainless and Silver Spoon is spoon fed like a foal by her father, and both of them have no real talent.” She shook her head sadly.

Had Cheerilee been less experienced with teaching, she would have burst out into fits of laughter. She had seen the way they bullied the others, but her funding for the school as well as her livelihood was under the hooves of both of their parents, and any action taken against their fillies would have dire consequences.

But as luck would have it, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon became outraged at the insult and leapt at Sweetie with the intent to do physical harm, one of them landed a solid blow to one of Sweetie’s eyes before Miss Cheerilee was able to restrain them both.

Sweetie panicked, she’s never been in a fight before. She tried to remember what Scootaloo told her about hoof to hoof combat but drew a blank. Instead she laid there and simply did her best to cover her face as Diamond Tiara wailed on her relentlessly. Her eye was sore and her nose flared with pain as it too took a blow. Luckily her arms took the brunt of the damage, only a few blows landed against her upper chest.

“Stop this at once!” When her words failed to dissuade their efforts to beat up Sweetie Belle she resorted to grabbing them by their ears and simply throwing them out the front door to the school house. “Go home, now! I don’t want to see you back here. You are suspended for the next three weeks and tell your parents to expect a very harsh letter from me tonight!” Her announcement was punctuated by slamming the door hard enough to crack the window.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon picked themselves up from the dirt and blew a raspberry at the school house, then turned around and walked away with their noses in the air as all the children in the playground watched on in shock.

Sweetie Belle was still in front of Miss Cheerilee’s desk nursing her shiny black eye, blood flowed freely down onto her chest, not sporting a few bruises. She expected them to yell at her and get detention, not beat on her like this. She sniffed as another tear rolled down her cheek, she hated violence. Sure she would rough house with her friends, but they never hurt each other. She sniffed again as she heard the door to the classroom open up and Miss Cheerilee walked in with a somber expression on her face.

“I am so sorry I wasn’t able to stop them. Do you think you’re going to be okay?” She asked softly as she knelt down in front of Sweetie belle, who only nodded with another sniff. “Let’s get you cleaned up then I’ll take you home. Are you staying with your parents or your sister right now?”

“Rar-,” she sniffed, “Rarity.”

“Okay, come on.” Cheerilee led Sweetie into the faculty room and grabbed a first aid kit from the shelf. Nothing was said as she held a rag to Sweetie’s nose, using another to clean off the blood staining her coat.

“There, that should do for now. I’ll walk you home.” And together they slowly made their way out of the school house. As they passed the playground Miss Cheerilee noticed the attention of her students. She used her body to block Sweetie from their preying eyes as she announced, “I’m letting class out for the rest of the day. You can stay and play or head home if you want.” She noticed Scootaloo and Applebloom running towards her and cut them off before they could say anything. “You two can come, she needs her friends and family right now, I will explain everything at Rarity’s.”

The walk her sister’s was thankfully uneventful, save for the prying eyes of her friends. She buried her face into Miss Cheerilee’s coat the entire distance to her sister’s boutique, luckily her nose had slowed its bleeding and didn’t get any on Cheerilee. They stopped in front of the door and knocked firmly.

“It’s open~!” Rarity sang from inside. Without further delay Miss Cheerilee opened the door and led them inside to see Rarity comparing various colors before a half dressed mannequin. Once she picked a satisfactory color she draped the fabric over the dress in progress and turned to face her guests.

“Oh my goodness, Sweetie Belle what happened?!” She exclaimed as she took in the sight of her sister’s condition. She quickly ran to the kitchen and emerged a second later with an ice pack in tow. Sweetie took it and whimpered a ‘thanks’ before heading up to her room, her friends giving their support as they helped her along.

“Cheerilee, I demand to know who is responsible so I can do very unladylike things to them and their family.” Cheerilee was more than a little frightened at the inferno of rage in Rarity’s eyes as she glared at her with murderous intent.

“Rarity, why don’t we go into the kitchen and talk over some tea before we do anything rash.” Cheerilee suggested as calmly as she could.

“I do believe rash actions have already taken place.” Rarity responded coldly, but reluctantly led the way into the kitchen. It was there that Cheerilee confided in her friend about the events that transpired and her predicament with Diamond Tiara’s and Silver Spoon’s parents as well as her inability to act openly against them in fear of losing her livelihood.

“Well that is something not to be taken lightly.” Rarity commented as she finished her third cup of tea. “When I visit Twilight today about getting another history book I’ll have her see if she can do anything about it. I think if she convinces the Princess to take over the funding for the school you should be in the clear.”

“Thank you, and that reminds me, Sweetie doesn’t have to turn in the history report if she doesn’t feel up to it. After what happened today I think she would want a break.” Cheerilee said as she sipped at her tea.

“I’ll let her know, but I think in the end she will want to do it because she will be working on it with her friends.” Cheerilee nodded at Rarity’s understanding.

Upstairs Applebloom and Scootaloo were doing their best to comfort their friend. “You should have said something! I would have rushed in there and beat them both up good for what they did!” Scootaloo than began delving into details of a largely epic battle with the fate of Equestria somehow in the balance.

“Uh, Scootaloo, ah think yer over do’en it a bit. Ah really don’t think princess Celestia’s life will be in yer hooves are you rescue her from Discord. Besides, ah think we should let Miss Cheerilee handle this. Ah don’t wanna get in trouble fer fighten. Mah sis would have mah hide,” Applebloom said with a shudder, and then she turned to Sweetie, “What do ya think?”

Sweetie nodded toward Applebloom, a wad of cloth jutting out her nose. “I don’t want to see anyone else get hurt…”

“Well, alright then, but this is seriously twenty percent uncooler.” Scootaloo said sadly.

“That’s not a word.” Applebloom stated, earning a glare from Scootaloo. “So what should we do today?”

“I don’t know, I don’t feel like going out for a while…” Sweetie said as she shifted the ice pack over her swollen eye. By the way it looked, it would be swollen shut for the next few days.

“I know!” Scootaloo exclaimed as she jumped to her hooves. “How about I go to the club house and get some things so we can plan our next adventures to get our cutie marks!” Her idea was seconded by a nod from Sweetie Belle and a cheer from Applebloom.

Without delay Scootaloo ran from the boutique. On her way to the club house she took a slight detour to the school house to pick up her scooter and wagon. With a burst of speed provided by her wings, she was able to arrive at the club house in record time, or ‘in ten seconds flat’ she would later tell her friends.

She ran into the club house and rushed around, collecting an assortment of crayons and a stack of paper. She was about to make her way back to her friends when something caught her eye. She gave another scan of the club house and spotted it, the mysterious book from which Sweetie Belle learned her first spell. Without a second thought she loaded the book and the gathered materials into her wagon and sped back towards the boutique as the first drops of rain began to fall.