• Published 23rd Jun 2018
  • 6,202 Views, 192 Comments

Change: Avia - tom117z



Princess Avia is looking forwards to the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville, what could possibly go wrong with such a fun and active event?

  • ...
7
 192
 6,202

15 - Epilogue

Thirteen years later…



“So, do you remember all of that…?” Avia muttered to herself, reading out loud exactly what she was writing on the paper currently sat on her desk within the confines of her own bedroom. “It seems like forever ago, doesn’t it? Thinking about it just makes me excited for this years. I know you’ve all been busy, but I hope we can all make it this time. Besides, I want to hear all about Blitz’s new flame…”

Avia giggled to herself, the now adult changeling looking off to the side at a framed picture showcasing the second iteration of the Cutie Mark Crusaders all posing for a picture outside of Sugarcube Corner when they were eighteen.

“I hope to see you girls soon, I need a break from learning to be a queen sometime, right? Cutie Mark Crusaders forever, Avia.”

“Writing a letter?” Avia jumped as her mother’s voice came from behind her, and she turned to see the smug look on Twilight face. “Oh, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Liar,” Avia retorted, but then followed that up with a giggle. “I’m just writing to my friends. It’s been a while.”

“It has,” Twilight concurred, moving up next to her daughter as she rolled the letter up and stamped it with the royal seal of the Equestrian Hive. “You might want to get that sent off quickly. We’re going to be busy soon.”

“That expedition to the ‘Undiscovered West’ still happening?” Avia asked, placing the scroll to one side and turning to face her mother. “Honestly, they should have called it the ‘Lost West’ or something, it was mapped out once.”

“Not that those maps exist anymore,” Twilight pointed out. “Think of it, discovering the birthplace of the pony species!”

“I know, it’s exciting!” the Princess squeed. “And about time, too. I think a thousand years and two centuries is enough time for a land to be lost, don’t you?”

“It’s the only unexplored place left in the world. I suppose people were just terrified the Wendigos might still be there.”

“Only one way to find out,” Avia stated. “Need help getting things together?”

“Later. Right now, it’s late.”

“I’m not a filly anymore, Mother.”

“You’re telling me you’re not tired?”

“…Well, now that you mention it.”

Twilight gave her a knowing smile. “You may not be a filly, but you’re still my daughter.”

“Alright! Alright! I’ll get some sleep soon, don’t worry. No all-nighter for me.”


Avia gave a sharp breath as her eyes shot open, the world on its side as her eyes slowly started to scan her surroundings…

Her chitin felt oddly sticky as she pried it from the surface of her desk, slowly looking around her bedroom as she put the pieces together.

“Ugh, really?” she scolded herself. “I couldn’t even make it to the bed right there? Ngh, Mum is going to either be annoyed or she’s going to find it funny.”

Actually, now that she thought about it, probably both.

Avia slowly moved her aching body from the chair and into a standing position. She looked over to the bedside table on the other side of the unslept-in bed, glancing at the clock to see what time it was.

“…Huh?”

The hands were just… spinning. Avia latched onto the device with her magic and brought it close, turning it over to examine the battery slot. Everything seemed to be in order, but the hands kept on moving erratically.

“Stupid machine,” Avia growled to herself, dropping the clock onto the bed. She’d just have one of the more tech-centric changelings in their hive take a look.

Speaking of…

…Why couldn’t she make contact with anyone?

Avia tried to ping her mother. Her father. Any changeling she could but… silence. Only silence replied to her.

“What in the…?” Now Avia was starting to get weirded out. Doubly so since she could still feel the rest of the hive mind. She just couldn’t speak to them.

Avia quickly crossed her bedroom towards the door. She’d just find another changeling and have them tell the Queen what was going on. Her mother would know what was happening or could otherwise find out. They had their study obsessed brains in common, after all.

Opening the door was a mistake, as the moment she did Avia gave a shout of alarm as a blast of pure flame thrust through and knocked the young Changeling Queen from her hooves and to the floor.

And then everything changed.

Avia’s eyes widened, her body beginning to shake with fear as she felt the ground beneath her change to nought but dirt and ash. A wave of heat draped itself over her as a wall of fire stretched in every direction. The open sky sat above her, obscured by smoke and yet more ash blowing through the wind.

Avia had no idea what was happening, so she jumped to her hooves and lit her horn with a bright cyan aura. Magic crackled down it with one of the destruction spells she’d been taught for self-defence. She peered through the fire, trying to fight through the confusion to see who would dare assault a royal changeling.

And there, through the flames, a shadow emerged. The fired seemed to part around the figure and do them no harm, a large equine with an elongated horn bearing down towards the Princess of the Equestrian Hive. Lightning seemed to crackle overhead as the flames gave a burst of heat and energy, causing Avia to grimace and stumble as she turned to face off with the figure.

And then the equine’s large feathered wings shot out either side, a red glow overtaking the horn as Avia’s own sputtered out. The flames all rushed in, forming a bubble around her that prevented her from even thinking about flying away. Her magic seemed to stop working altogether as the fire closed in, and the Princess was powerless to stop them.

Which was why she was finally able to awaken from the nightmare, shooting up from beneath the covers of her bed with a shout of alarm and fear.

But there was no fire. No destruction. And that figure was nowhere to be seen.

“A dream. Just a dumb dream,” she muttered to herself, glancing to her side to see the clock showing that it was still too early for the sun to be up, if only just.

So Princess Avia let the nightmare’s memory depart her mind, despite how eerily real it had appeared at the time, and she let a far more pleasant sleep overtake her.

Author's Note:

And so the third, and shortest, entry in the Change series comes to an end. I hope you enjoyed the general departure from the war and drama into a more fluffy and slice of life tale of a juvenile filly experiencing Ponyville for the first time.

Change: The New Kingdom will come after 'A Sparkle in the Darkness', and will follow on from where this epilogue left off. See you Change fans then!

Comments ( 23 )
TL
TL #1 · Oct 6th, 2018 · · ·

Awww, it's done. Either way You've did a great job, looking forward to Change: The New Kingdom. I have a feeling that Avia's dream is a vision for the upcoming future.

Oh my god... the red-and-black alicorn oc is coming for their souls!!

9213938
Not red and black, I assure you. :rainbowlaugh:

JMP

‘I will always be here to protect you, Avia,” Twilight proclaimed within, even as she bid the princesses farewell and moved to depart the town hall. ‘Always.’

No....no you won't. Whether you like it or not, you won't always be there for your daughter.

This was a fun little story. Nice to see the next generation for a bit.

9214010

No....no you won't. Whether you like it or not, you won't always be there for your daughter.

Indeed, as she may yet come to learn.

"Undiscovered West"

You're not going to play the "Post-Apocalyptic World that Once Belonged to Humans", right?

And so the story ends.... but the journey continues...
This has been one heck of a roller coaster ride, and I look forward to seeing the new chapter of the Change series!

Fun little slice of life story. If I remember right, the next story will be the last of the Change series right? If so, then I can’t wait to see how you plan to end it all.

9214046
Um... no. That's long established as the land where the pony tribes originally came from. :rainbowlaugh:

9214074

If I remember right, the next story will be the last of the Change series right? If so, then I can’t wait to see how you plan to end it all.

Excluding an anthology, where I explore some of the lore and how certain events from the show differed in this timeline, like the MLP movie.

For a moment when the evil alicorn was described I thought it might have been an evil Sunset Shimmer out for revenge on Twilight. What happened to her in the Change universe anyway?

I'm sure that Avia's nightmare will have absolutely no bearing in Change: The New Kingdom. It was just a dream that will be forgotten to time. I'm also sure that Crudelis just wanted to be Twilight's friend, and that Immortalis was the best thing to happen to the changelings.

awesome story Tom117 .
i love the cliffhanger.

So Princess Avia let the nightmare’s memory depart her mind, despite how eerily real it had appeared at the time, and she let a far more pleasant sleep overtake her.

“A dream. Just a dumb dream,” she muttered to herself, glancing to her side to see the clock showing that it was still too early for the sun to be up, if only just.

That was no dream, Avia... It was omen...

Cya in the sequel!

Noice, an enjoyable little slice of life. Or the calm before the storm. But why not both? :applejackunsure:
On a side note...

And then everything changed.

Oh no! Did the Fire Nation attack?

An unnerving epilogue which suggests uncertain future. This Lost West gives me a bad feeling...

I'll sit down, be a good boy and wait patiently.

By the way, it seems it's Avia who's going to make it through this time.

Interesting premonition, Princess...

I heavily doubt even 1% that this was a regular nightmare, Avia...prepare yourself, the next ride might not be your last, but maybe for others close too you...

Love the nice fluff slice of life for the sequel thereafter.

Fitting that the book Avia reads about prophetic dreams kinda come into play at the end of the fic.

Damn it, Chekov... you've got to keep a better eye on your weapons!

Which was why she was finally able to awaken from the nightmare, shooting up from beneath the covers of her bed with a shout of alarm and fear.

Twilight chuckled, examining the title on the book’s spine. “So… ‘Prophetic Dreaming’, hm?”

(Chapter 2)

(Yeah, I'm late to the party.)

Woo. Nice short slice of life fic.

This is gonna be good!:twilightsmile:

I read this at some point in the past, but I can’t remember any if it so I will have to go back to the first story again.

Thirteen years later…

Nooooo she's a baby! The baby can't be all growed up, I'm not ready!
They grow up so fast ;~;

“A dream. Just a dumb dream,”

...Oh no. This has been foreshadowed from when they talked about prophetic dreaming. This is an omen.

Login or register to comment