• Published 2nd Mar 2017
  • 8,664 Views, 430 Comments

A Tale of Two Suns, Book 1: The Two Suns - Lupin



Life has settled down after the Games. But when Sunset gets in major trouble, someone very unexpected comes to her aid. What follows will change her life in ways she didn't think possible.

  • ...
14
 430
 8,664

Reunion

Chapter 7: Reunion

The entire room was frozen in place. Even the air seemed still, hanging heavily within the confines of the office walls. An outside observer, if they'd tried, might have been able to hear the sound of five heartbeats beneath the veil of deathly silence.

Finally, Sunset spoke. "Mother... I..." she began, only to stop when her tongue couldn't find the words, her brain still trying to comprehend just what was going on.

"What is the meaning of this?" hissed Circinus, her grip on Sunset's arm tightening to a painful degree.

The woman turned her head in Circinus's direction, finally noticing her presence. Her face went through several expressions, confusion, curiosity, and when she noticed the sapphire blue fingers wrapped around Sunset's arm, anger. "Pardon me, but who are you and why are you holding my daughter's arm?"

Circinus released her grip. "I'm Mrs. Circinus," she said with a scowl. "I represent Child Protective Services, and I was under the distinct impression Miss Shimmer didn't have parents."

The pink-haired woman chuckled. "Of course she does. Everyone has a mother and father." Her chuckles evolved into full musical laughter. "I would think someone your age would know how that works."

The indigo-haired woman's cheeks flushed. "Of course I know that!" she half-screeched. Realizing her momentary loss of control, she took a moment to brush her now ruffled indigo bangs back in place. "But I—"

"Oh, Sunset, look how much you've grown," cooed the woman, completely ignoring the CPS agent, much to her consternation. "Let me get a good look at you." She put her hands on the former unicorn's shoulders, turning her left and right.

Sunset didn't resist. Her mind was in complete chaos, earlier thoughts of escape plans thrown to the wind in favor of a barrage of questions. Who was this woman, and what was going on?

She certainly wasn't her mother's human counterpart. Star Shimmer had been a petite mare with a white coat, distinctive blue eyes, and a curly blonde mane and tail.

Had her friends recruited this woman to pretend to be her mother? Some sort of emergency plan? If they did, they hadn't told her. Had they wanted Sunset's surprised reaction to be genuine? They'd certainly succeeded.

Ultimately, Sunset decided that the best thing to do was to just go along with it. If she didn't take advantage of... whatever this was, she'd be in a car and shipped upstate within minutes.

"You're so beautiful, sweetheart," whispered the woman, her voice overflowing with emotion. "I swear you get more and more beautiful with every passing day." Her magenta eyes moved over to Sunset's still exposed left arm before going wide. "You're hurt." The fingers on Sunset's shoulders pressed tighter. "Who did this to you?"

"N-No one," Sunset stammered. "I had an accident yesterday morning. It's just a bruise."

The fingers relaxed, the woman seeming to accept the answer. A glint of mischief sparkled in her eyes. "My poor little baby. Here." She laid a gentle kiss against the offending skin. "Better?" she asked with a smile.

"I, um... yeah," answered Sunset, her cheeks warm. Well, she's definitely embarrassing.

"I beg your pardon."

The woman turned back to Mrs. Circinus with confusion, as if trying to understand what she was still doing there. "Did you need something, Mrs. Circinus?"

"Who precisely are you?" asked Circinus with no shortage of suppressed anger.

"I told you," replied the woman, as if explaining it to a child, "I'm Sunset Shimmer's mother."

"Your name. Now."

"There's no need to be rude ma'am," she replied, getting to her feet. "I'm Sunny Skies."

Up to that point the two administrators had still been lost in their own depression, and then left in a state of shock at the woman's arrival along with everyone else. But at the mention of the name, their faces changed to a shared look of confusion and even greater surprise.

Sunset wasn't sure what was up with that. Admittedly the name sounded vaguely familiar, like something buried in the deepest recesses of her mind, but she couldn't place it. Then again, it could have just sounded similar to some other name she'd heard somewhere.

"Well then Mrs. Skies—"

"Miss, actually," corrected Sunny.

"Miss Skies, then," continued Circinus. "As I was saying, I received reports that Miss Shimmer was living alone and unsupervised. So you'll forgive me if I have a few questions for you and your... daughter."

"Of course," said Sunny with a nod.

Principal Celestia had to ask Raven the secretary to bring in another chair, but soon enough everyone had returned to their previous places. Sunny had her chair set right next to Sunset, her hand intertwined with the teenager's. It was a gentler grip than Mrs. Circinus, but there was a strength to it that told Sunset not to resist.

Mrs. Circinus leaned back in her seat. "I have to say, I find your arrival quite convenient for Miss Shimmer."

"I guess I'm just lucky," said Sunny with a laugh. "I was already on my way here looking for Sunset." She turned to Celestia. "How's she doing in school by the way?"

Celestia blinked at the unexpected attention. "Very well, actually. Academically she's one of our top students."

Sunny beamed. "That's what a mother loves to hear. Of course I always knew my little sun was bright, even from day one. You wouldn't believe how quickly she learned how to walk and talk. Of course once she did she was always following me around and babbling my ears off," she added with a laugh.

She pulled Sunset closer in a pseudo-hug between their seats. "She's so bright in fact that I thought maybe I should have named her Sunrise instead."

Sunset groaned internally at the horrible pun. Yup, definitely going for the embarrassing parent angle.

Circinus just frowned at the attempted humor. "I have to say," she said, her voice as flat at her expression, "you two don't look much alike."

Sunny looked over at the teenager beside her. "I suppose we don't. Sunset takes more after her father's looks. He had the most amazing green eyes. Although my own mother had red hair and blue eyes, so she takes after her a bit too."

Celestia's eyes widened, and she glanced at her sister, who shared her expression. Sunset resisted the urge to raise an eyebrow at that. If she made it through this, she was definitely going to have to ask what was up with them.

"And where is Miss Shimmer's father, Miss Skies," said Circinus. She leaned in, peering closer at the pink-haired woman's free left hand. "I don't see a wedding ring, or even a ring mark for that matter."

Sunny glanced down at her hand in confusion before meeting Circinus's eyes. "Oh, well, he's actually not around anymore."

"I see," replied Circinus flatly.

"No, I don't think you do," corrected Sunny. "He passed away a long time ago. He was a military sta—" she paused, almost biting her tongue, "man, you see. Or at least he wanted to be," she said, adding the last line quickly. "We were going to wait to be married, but then he... he died."

Sunny let out a pained sigh, her previous happy expression crumbling. "I never found another like him. But he did leave me a few things to remember him by." She looked over at Sunset, a warm smile tugging at her lips, "Sunset included."

She gave Sunset's hand a gentle squeeze. "Do you remember the stories I told you about Daddy when you were little, sweetie?"

Sunset nodded her head in silent agreement. It was a good cover story, she supposed. This way, they didn't need to drag somebody else into the cover. And then of course, there was the sympathy angle. Not that they were likely to get any real sympathy from Mrs. Circinus. If anything, they'd be crocodile tears.

Still, Sunset couldn't help but ponder over the woman's earlier flub. To Sunset's ears, it almost sounded like she was going to say "military stallion". But that was ridiculous. There was no way Sunny was from Equestria. Sunset certainly couldn't think of anypony that looked like her, let alone somepony that would come in and do this sort of thing for her.

Circinus's face remained neutral through the entire story, though there was a trace of irritation in her gaze. "My... condolences on the loss of your fiancé, Miss Skies," she said stiffly.

"Thank you," replied Sunny. "But I don't understand why you're not happier. After all, this must be the easiest case you've ever had, you coming here to investigate a child living alone only for her mother to arrive."

"That would be because she was here last week," said Principal Celestia with no amount of sympathy.

"In fact," added Luna, ignoring the acidic glare she was getting from Mrs. Circinus. "Right before you got here, she was about to drag Sunset off to a foster family that lives far away from Canterlot."

Sunny's face fell as she moved her narrowed magenta eyes from the sisters back to the CPS agent. "Really?" Then, just as quickly, her expression transformed back into a pleasant smile. "I suppose I saved you the trip then."

"Yes, I think you did," added Principal Celestia slowly, hope and realization spreading over her features. "I seem to recall that Child Protective Services can't separate a child from their family without a warrant."

Next to her, Luna smiled. "I do believe you're right sister." Her smile grew into a full grin that she directed right at the CPS agent. "And you don't have one, do you? You wouldn't have even needed one before this."

The glare doubled in strength. "That... would be correct," said Circinus, looking every bit like she'd just embraced a cholla cactus.

Sunset fought back the desire to grin herself. Yes, yes, yes! Thank you, girls! When this was over, she was going to treat them all to ice cream at Sugarcube Corner for coming up with this plan.

It would probably deplete her wallet, what with how much Pinkie could pack away. But at that moment, Sunset didn't really care, her joy crushing any practical concerns her logical brain brought up.

Circinus turned back to Sunny, her face transformed into an icy mask. "Which is why you'll forgive me, Miss Skies, if I ask you a few more questions. You arrival has me concerned about your authenticity." Her mouth twitched. "For instance, I can't help but notice how young you are. You seem to still be in your twenties."

The twitch blossomed into a smirk. "So how is it then that you have a sixteen-year-old daughter?"

Sunset's heart skipped another beat. Ponyfeathers, that's a good point. She can't be more than thirty or thirty-one, and that's being generous. Girls, why'd you pick someone so young?!

Sunny laughed. "Oh, thank you. But I'm afraid I'm just blessed with one of those baby faces. I'm actually going to be thirty-six in July."

"T-Thirty-six?" sputtered Vice Principal Luna. "You're two years older than me?"

Sunny gave the woman an apologetic smile. "I'm afraid so."

Luna grumbled something about the unfairness of nature while her sister gave her a comforting pat on the arm, her own expression indicating that she wasn't exactly happy either.

For her part, Sunset Shimmer just gawked. Almost thirty-six, really? Her eyes and ears struggled against each other. Her eyes wanted to disagree. But Sunny sounded so sincere to her that another part of Sunset wanted to believe her. If she was serious, though, Sunset imagined Rarity had turned green with envy upon learning of that particular factoid.

Mrs. Circinus seemed equally taken aback by the admission. "Nineteen, then," she muttered, more to herself than anyone in the room.

Refocusing her attention back on Sunny, she narrowed her eyes. "What exactly do you do, Miss Skies, and why have you never been seen or heard from before this?"

Sunny's eyes widened a fraction. "Oh, well I'm, um..." she paused, seemingly searching for an answer. "An archaeologist! Yes," she added with more confidence. "I was out of the country on a dig for a long time and then I had some trouble getting back home. I actually only arrived in Canterlot City this morning."

She looked over at Celestia and Luna. "I'm sorry we've never gotten to meet before. But for what it's worth, you seem to have a wonderful school here. You must be so proud."

"Thank you. We certainly are," was Celestia's pleased reply. "My sister and I have worked hard to make CHS the place that it is."

"The quality of that work," snapped Circinus, "is debatable." She leveled her gaze at Sunny. "So you can confirm that Sunset was alone during your absence?"

Sunny nodded. "Unfortunately, yes."

Sunset was screaming inside her skull. What the hay are you doing?! Don't admit something like that!

Mrs. Circinus gave a look of disapproval. "So you left your daughter alone for a long period of time?" Her voice dripped with smug satisfaction. "That's not a very wise decision for a single parent."

"I agree," replied Sunny. "But I didn't leave her alone."

Circinus's brow furrowed. "What?"

"I left Sunset with our neighbors," explained Sunny plainly. "They'd been next to us for quite a long time, and I'd been invited over on several occasions. I thought they were trustworthy, so I left my daughter in their care and gave them some money to help out."

She sighed. "But when I got back I found out that they'd left Canterlot, without my daughter. Naturally I came here to try and find Sunset."

Sunny turned to the teen in question. "Did you run away from them, sweetheart?" she asked softly. "I know we had an argument before I left, but were you really that mad at me?"

The former unicorn saw where this was going, and quickly formulated an answer. "Y-Yeah," she said, trying to make herself sound as unhappy as possible. "They ignored me... Mom. They had all these loud parties that kept me up even when I had school the next day, and they wasted all the money you gave them. I couldn't take it anymore, so I just... ran away."

Sunny's hand squeezed tighter. "Oh, my little sun, I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I suppose sometimes you just don't know who you can trust." She turned back to Circinus. "As you can see, this was all a misunderstanding that was completely out of our control."

The irritation on Mrs. Circinus's face was as clear as day. "I find it a bit odd that Miss Shimmer never once mentioned any of this to me during our discussions."

"You never actually asked," answered the teen flatly.

The CPS agent's face contorted. "Well I—"

"And really," added Sunny, "if Sunset had told you her mother was an archaeologist on a dig out of the country, would you have believed her?"

"I suppose not," was the begrudging reply.

Sunset allowed herself a smile. Finally, they were making ground. Now it was Circinus who was off guard and struggling to regain her footing, and she definitely wasn't happy about it.

"I'm still not entirely convinced this is for real," continued Circinus. "Tell me, what is Miss Shimmer's date of birth?"

"September 22, 2000," answered Sunny confidently. She cast her eyes to the ceiling, seemingly lost in memory. "It was an especially memorable day, since a certain little someone absolutely refused to come out and let her mommy see her pretty little face."

She smiled playfully at the now-crimson teenager. "But then, it was still dark outside, and you've never been happy being woken before sunrise, so I can't blame you for being fussy, sweetheart. I just wish you'd made it a little bit easier for me to bring you into the world."

Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna politely hid twin smiles behind their hands, which just made the teenager blush harder as she slid down in her seat, her descent only stopped by Sunny's hand pulling back.

Looking at the CPS agent again, Sunny saw the woman's sharp eyes were still full of suspicion, completely unamused by the anecdote. Sunny frowned. "I suppose that's not convincing enough. Alright then..."

She turned to Sunset. "Is that a black widow over there?"

The former unicorn shrieked, jumping from her chair before darting to the other side of Sunny and using her as a human shield. "WHERE?! Where is it?! Keep it away from me! Keep it away!"

Looking around frantically at the three confused faces in the room, and noticing the distinct lack of spiders, black widow or otherwise, she gave her "mother" a glare powerful enough to melt steel. "What was that for?!"

"Yes, what was that for?" asked Circinus dryly.

Sunny gave her daughter an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Sunset. But I thought it was necessary. As you can see," she said, addressing Circinus, "my daughter is absolutely terrified of black widow spiders."

"She is?" asked Principal Celestia, eyebrows shooting up to her hairline. "I had no idea."

"Why black widows?" questioned Luna. "Granted, their venom is especially dangerous, but with how little is delivered in their bite, the chance of fatality for a healthy adult is abysmally low."

"Childhood trauma," answered Sunny. "She got a terrible scare from a gigantic one when she was very young."

That's an understatement. Sunset gave a mental grumble as she sat back down. One of her friends must have told Sunny about her fears, and Sunset could take a guess at who. Sunny clearly took her own stab at the reason.

It was so close to the mark, but ultimately nothing more than a coincidence. After all, she couldn't possibly know about Sunset's near death experience.

Still, Sunset made a mental note to throttle Rainbow Dash after this was all over.

"And I take it," said Circinus, "that Miss Shimmer's fears are not widely known?"

"Of course not," Sunset snapped, still angry over being tricked. "You think I want people knowing that? I haven't told anyone!" she lied, her angry embarrassment providing it with conviction.

"But you know," concluded Circinus, looking at Sunny, "because you're her mother, is that right?"

Sunny beamed. "Right."

The indigo-haired woman closed her eyes, deep in concentration. When she opened them again, she smirked. "Fine then. Show me your ID."

Sunny's smile faltered. "I-ID? You need to see that?"

"Yes," said Circinus, still smirking. Her eyes grew eager, catching Sunny's sudden nervousness. "If you're really who you say you are, then you shouldn't have a problem showing me your identification. Unless, of course, you're a fake concocted by Miss Shimmer or her so-called friends to keep her in this waste of an institution."

She leaned in closer to Sunny's face. "And let me make one thing perfectly clear, Miss Skies. If your ID doesn't match the name you've given me, or if it's fake, and I assure you I will be taking a close look to make sure it isn't, you will be in serious trouble. So if in fact you are a fake, I'd back out now before I decide to charge you with a crime."

Sunset felt a stab of panic. That was a good point. No matter who this woman was, she probably hadn't used her real name, not if she was really smart. Or if she had, it was hardly fair for her to prove that and get her trapped in this mess with them. If she got exposed some other way, she'd be facing consequences along with Sunset.

Sunny's eyes, too, betrayed a sense of panic, but only for a moment. Just as quickly, her face returned to a happy smile. "Alright, then. Just let me find it."

She set the little handbag that had previously been slung over her shoulder onto her lap. It was pure white, decorated with a simple sun surrounded by small clouds. She peered into it. "Now where did I put it?"

Her necklace dangled down into the open handbag, and Sunny pulled it out of the way. As she did, there was a bright flash of light.

Mrs. Circinus groaned. "Can't see," she muttered, before reaching up to cover her eyes.

As the woman raised her arms, Sunset noticed a glimmer of gold from under her right sleeve. It was another small piece of jewelry. A gold chain around her wrist, connected to a gold disk. The disk seemed covered in some kind of circular designs, though what exactly they meant, Sunset wasn't sure. But before she could get a better look, it disappeared from sight again.

Sunny looked up from her bag, concern written all over her face. "Oh dear. Are you alright? I'm sorry, my necklace does that to people sometimes when it catches the light."

"Why do you even wear that thing if it's such a hazard?" complained the woman, still trying to clear the spots from her eyes.

"It was a gift from my fiancé." She ran her fingers along the jewel. "He didn't have the money for a ring at the time, so he gave me this instead. He said it was his grandmother's favorite piece of jewelry. I've worn it every day since."

Moving her attention back to her bag, she smiled. "Ah, here it is. I believe this is what you wanted to see."

Sunset watched Sunny reach out her hand to show... nothing. Her palm was completely empty. Was she insane? Across from them, the two administrators also wore expressions of silent confusion.

Circinus blinked a few times, peering closely at the empty space. Her eyebrows knitted together, like she couldn't comprehend what she was seeing.

And why should she? She was staring at nothing. Wonderful, the girls found a crazy woman to stand in for my mother. I'm so doomed. I might as well just change my initials to DRL right now.

Sunny gave another smile. "As you can see, it's authentic."

The woman nodded stiffly, as if she really didn't want to. "Yes, I can... see that."

Sunset did a double take. Circinus was staring at nothing. Literal nothing. But she was acting like there had been an actual ID card in Sunny's hand. If Sunset had still been in Equestria, she would have sworn it was some sort of... illusion spell.

In that moment, the dots connected in her head. The woman's appearance, the little flub in her speech, her knowing about Sunset's phobia of black widows, her sleeping habits... That flash hadn't been sunlight, it had been Equestrian magic.

The woman sitting next to her wasn't somebody recruited by her friends. It was Princess Celestia. How could she have forgotten that Sunny Skies was one of her teacher's favorite pseudonyms?

An icy dread settled over the former unicorn as the blood drained from her face. Princess Celestia was here. Sunset didn't know how she found out. Maybe Twilight told her about what was going on. But she was here, here and posing as Sunset's mother.

The fact that Princess Celestia had personally come here told the fire-haired girl one thing: The alicorn was furious.

Why else would she have shown up here to save her miserable flank, other than being angry at her getting caught by CPS and risking Equestria's discovery? Celestia didn't just cross dimensions to help a disgraced student and traitor when she had a nation to rule. She stepped in when her kingdom was under threat.

Shame welled up in Sunset's chest. She supposed after her attempted invasion, the Sirens, and the portals created at the Friendship Games, Celestia refused to risk the possibility that humans or some other invader would come to Equestria.

She glanced up at Sunny. To everyone else, the woman’s expression was pure pleasantness. But right then, all Sunset could see was Princess Celestia’s angry face.

"Mrs. Circinus," continued Sunny. "I understand that you're concerned about my daughter, and I appreciate you trying to do your job. But I am Sunset's mother. I'm here now, and my daughter won't be alone. So as far as I can see, your job here is finished."

She stood up, taking Sunset's hand again and pulling the still shell-shocked teen to her feet. "Now if you'll pardon me, I'm going to take my daughter home."

Home. Sunset's blood froze in her veins as she read between the lines. Celestia was going to take her back to Equestria. She'd come not only to fix this, but to personally collect her failure of a student.

It seemed that, no matter what happened today, Sunset was still going to be leaving this place for good. She would have laughed at the horrible irony if she could, but her vocal chords just refused to work.

Mrs. Circinus stood up, her face twisted in frustration. "But I—"

"Goodbye, Mrs. Circinus," said Sunny finally. She turned to the two administrators. "I hope you don't mind me leaving with Sunset now. We have a great deal of catching up to do."

Yes, they certainly did. And Sunset knew that was probably going to be between a set of iron bars, at minimum. She glanced at the sisters. Could they see the fear on her face? Mostly they just seemed confused as to what had just happened.

"Of course, Miss Skies," said Principal Celestia uncertainly, glancing between the woman and the still-angry CPS agent.

With a nod, Sunny walked toward the office door, taking Sunset with her. "Come along, sweetheart, it's time to go home."


The pair walked through the halls of CHS. The final bell had rung not too long ago, and students were still filling the halls, making way for the two as they went.

Neither of them said anything as they walked, passing posters for various events scattered between rows of green lockers, some of which were dented and scraped. Not that they might have been able to have a conversation amidst the noise of the hallway, the opening and closing of lockers and the chatter of escaping students.

Sunset allowed herself to be pulled along, her hand still entwined with the older woman's, though the grip was far less comforting than it had been only a little while before.

As they exited the front doors, Sunset spied the base of the Wondercolts statue. This was it. She was being taken back to Equestria. No doubt the portal was already open and waiting for their return, along with a squadron of royal guards on the other side.

Actually, as Sunset thought about it, she realized that last part probably wasn't true. Since Celestia had gone to the trouble of doing this herself, she probably didn't bother with the formality of guards for prisoner transport.

Would Princess Twilight be there on the other side? Would she plead for leniency? Would Spike?

Princess Celestia looked around, as if trying to get her bearings. "Sunset?"

It was so strange hearing Sunny's voice, knowing it was Princess Celestia. Sunny sounded so different from the princess, so much younger. It made part of her desperately want to believe that this wasn't Princess Celestia in front of her. But she knew that was just a delusion.

"Princess," she croaked in reply.

Celestia's eyes widened a fraction. "I see you recognized me." She looked around again. "Where do you live, Sunset?"

The former unicorn, still buried in her own thoughts, did a double take at the question. "I-I have an apartment. Why?"

"I'd like to go there. Would you be able to take me?"

"S-Sure," she answered with a nod, once again reading between the lines to see her mentor's intent.

Celestia wanted to stop by her apartment to let Sunset gather her things. They were going to ensure there weren't any traces of her life here in the human world. Sunset Shimmer would disappear in much the same way she'd appeared in this dimension. All the better to prevent Equestria's discovery.

"SUNSET SHIMMER!" came a voice in the distance.

Turning her head, Sunset saw her friends racing towards her. Spike was with them, frantically following behind Twilight.

Pinkie Pie, the one who'd called out to her, reached her first. She barreled into her, nearly knocking her off her feet. "I'm so glad you're still here!" she cried. Her hair looked less curly than it normally was, falling limp around her head, while her whole image was... dimmer somehow.

"We heard you got called out of class again," said Applejack, trying her best to pry Pinkie off of her. "We got worried that snake in the grass pulled somethin'."

Twilight spoke next, hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. "Spike," she huffed, "Spike was jumping outside the classroom window. He told me what happened with Mom and Dad."

"Hey," interrupted Rainbow Dash, looking suspiciously at Sunny. "Who are you?" Her pink eyes narrowed. "Are you Mrs. Circinus? And why are you holding Sunset's hand?" The rainbow-haired girl growled, taking a single step forward. "If you're even working with that jerk Circinus then you better get away from her right now."

"I'm not working for Mrs. Circinus," said Sunny calmly, taking in the sight of the six girls and dog with no shortage of curiosity. Gesturing for the girls to follow her, she proceeded down the steps of the school out onto the open campus.

"I'm Sunny Skies. I'm Sunset's mother," she said with a smile.

The seven girls shared glances. "That's a load of manure right there," said Applejack, crossing her muscled arms over her chest. "We know you're not her momma. So start talkin'."

Sunny chuckled. "Well, it was worth a try." She cleared her throat. "I'm Princess Celestia. I'm not sure if Sunset has told you about me."

Twilight's glasses almost fell off her nose. "P-Princess Celestia?!"

Rainbow narrowed her eyes. "You don't look like our principal."

"Or, um," added Fluttershy quietly, "sound like our principal."

"Or smell like her," added Spike, walking up to her legs.

"I altered my appearance when I came to this world so I didn't look or sound like my human counterpart. I didn't want to cause confusion," answered the princess calmly.

Rainbow looked over at Sunset, and the girl nodded. "She's Celestia."

Rarity's eyes widened. "I'm in the presence of royalty..." she whispered. She whipped out a pocket mirror in a fit of panic. "Is my hair alright?"

Applejack rolled her eyes. "Your hair's fine, Rarity." She looked back at Celestia and smiled. "I gotta say, it's a surprise to see someone like you here, Your Highness. What are you doin' at CHS?"

Pinkie Pie bounced up to the woman, her hair having suddenly returned to its normal, curly state. "You heard about Sunset's problem and you decided to come here and pretend to be her mom so Sunset wouldn't get taken away by that big meanie mean pants!"

The sun princess blinked, taking a moment to absorb the sentence, before laughing heartily. "That's exactly right, Pinkie. I'm only sorry I didn't get here sooner. I might have been able to save you some grief."

"Well, we're certainly glad you're here now, Your Majesty," said Rarity, having calmed down. She curtsied. "And it is most certainly an honor to be in your presence."

"Oh please, call me Miss Skies, or even Sunny. After all, I'm not a princess here."

"So what happened to Mrs. Circinus?" asked Spike, taking another cursory sniff at the woman's shoes. “What? They smell good,” he defended, seeing the look Twilight was giving him.

If Celestia minded, she didn't show it. "She did indeed show up today, and from the sound of it, she almost succeeded in taking Sunset away from here before I arrived." She paused, observing the now-paling faces of the group. "But since I arrived, she shouldn't be able to do anything."

"Oh thank goodness," said Fluttershy, taking a hand away from her chest.

"This calls for a party!" declared Pinkie.

Princess Celestia laughed. "As wonderful as that sounds, I wanted Sunset to take me to her apartment. We have things to talk about and I wanted to do it in private."

Sunset stiffened. This was just like her nightmare from a little more than two weeks ago, pushing away her only lifeline so she could be punished without protest. Only this time, Sunset knew what was coming.

But what point was there in fighting? Fear, shame, and helplessness wrapped themselves around her and held her down like invisible iron chains, and whatever resistance she might have been able to muster was gone.

Without Princess Celestia, she was subject to Mrs. Circinus. And besides that, Celestia clearly had her magic here. They had magic, sure, but they were still just beginning to learn how to use it, and Celestia was an expert. There was no way they'd win.

Celestia turned to Sunset. "You said you could show me the way?"

Sunset nodded slowly. "There's a bus stop down the block that way," she said, pointing to a sign in the distance. Her bike had a flat tire, and Sunset wasn't even sure it would've fit the both of them. "You can go wait there. I'll be right behind you."

Sunset watched as Princess Celestia walked away, before turning to her friends.

Her friends. The girls that had shown her what it meant to care for others, reminded her what it meant to be cared for, to laugh and share her joys and sorrows with someone else. They'd filled a hole in her life she didn't even realize she'd had.

She'd only known them, only really known them, for a few months. But now she found it almost impossible to imagine life without them.

You won't have to imagine for much longer, taunted the voice of the raging she-demon in her head. This is why you should have stuck with me.

"I... I shouldn't keep her waiting too long." She gave them a weak smile, even that being a monumental effort on her part. "Goodbye, girls. Thank you for being my friends."

Sunset turned around, walking off to join Princess Celestia before they could respond. She wouldn't give them that chance, couldn't give them that chance. If she had, if she'd stayed any longer to let them answer back, she might have broken down into tears.


By the time Sunset caught up with Princess Celestia the bus was already pulling up, and the two Equestrians boarded it in another round of silence.

She edged herself away from Celestia on the seat. Her emotions were growing more and more turbulent as time went on, and it was taking all of her willpower to keep herself together. Looking around at the other passengers as a means of temporary distraction, she studied their faces. Some were lost in thought, others looked tired, while still others looked bored. For them, it was just another ordinary bus trip through Canterlot City.

For her, it might as well have been a march to the gallows.

Celestia seemed to busy herself between looking at Sunset and gazing out at the buildings they passed. She was undoubtedly interested in this world, and Sunset couldn’t blame her. It was such a surreal experience seeing it all for the first time. She'd been the same way when she'd arrived here.

Sunset couldn’t really enjoy the same view. Looking out that window would mean looking at Celestia, the mentor she’d failed, the princess she’d betrayed. The pony who would be doling out her punishment in the very near future.

It hurt like a knife to the heart. So she had to settle for the view from the window across the aisle, further away, harder to reach.

Soon it’ll be completely out of reach. It was a sobering thought. She’d probably only have one last look at this world on the way back to the portal. Then she’d be back in Equestria, chains on her legs and a magic-blocking restraint on her horn.

Her horn. She’d have her horn back, and she probably wouldn’t have more than ten minutes to use it.

The bus finally stopped, and Sunset led Celestia over to her apartment building. In her opinion, it would have been more fitting for Celestia to lead her, what with Sunset being the prisoner. But Sunset was the navigator here, so she had to take the lead. It was a sort of freedom the girl chose to cherish for what little time she still had it.

Quietly, the two made their way to her door. She pulled out her keys and twisted them in the lock with a click. “Here it is.”

Her apartment wasn’t much. It was a small, dull space that was made of one main room with a kitchenette, one small bedroom with an east-facing window that was permanently shut by way of defect, and a bathroom. Sunset flicked on the lights. Or rather, light, singular, because the main room only had the one, uncovered light bulb on the ceiling.

She didn’t even turn to face Celestia. “You can wait here,” she said, not allowing any of the myriad of emotions surging in her heart to enter into her voice.

Sunset immediately made her way to her room, picking up the two large old duffel bags she’d managed to procure in her time here. They were all she needed to pack away everything she owned in this world, every precious thing and piece of detritus she accumulated over the years.

She’d pack her clothes in one. Her closet had been near empty for most of her time here. But since she and Rarity became friends, the tiny space had been finding itself with more and more occupants.

They’d probably be useless in Equestria. Who knew if or how well they’d change to fit pony anatomy? It was probably best, Sunset realized, to give them all to Rarity before she left. The rest of her meager possessions would fit well enough between the other duffel and her backpack.

In fact, now that she thought about it, most of her possessions would be useless on the other side of the portal. Which ones could she take and which would she have to leave behind?

Her laptop and phone would definitely be worthless. She could probably give them to Twilight. The bespectacled girl certainly wouldn’t object to the extra electronics. She didn’t have Crystal Prep’s resources anymore after all. At the very least she could use the parts for whatever inventions she happened to come up with.

Her guitar? Sunset had, to her surprise, fallen in love with the instrument once she'd learned how to use human fingers enough to manipulate the chords. She'd even put in the effort to engrave her initials in its polished surface. Now Sunset probably wouldn't get a chance to play it again.

She could give that to Rainbow Dash. The athlete loved the one she had, but hey, a backup was never a bad thing. At least that way her treasured instrument wouldn't go silent.

Her bike? At the very least she could rule out Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie for that one. The former wouldn’t like the noise or speed, and the latter... the idea of Pinkie on a motorcycle was a scary enough thought. She was as likely to cause some sort of collateral damage as she was to grievously injure herself. Applejack wouldn't need it since it couldn't be used to transport anything large, not like her brother's truck. Rarity definitely wouldn’t want it. Rainbow might like the speed.

Sunset had loved the speed too, so much. Racing down the road made Sunset feel like she was flying, which had been a particular plus in those dark days before Princess Twilight. It was like a simulation for the wings she’d been sure she’d get.

As she gathered her things, her eyes fell onto two items on the nightstand by the bed. A couple of pictures in simple frames. One was of her and her friends at Christmas, after Anon-a-Miss had been settled. The other was more recent, taken after the Friendship Games, where Twilight and Spike stood with them before the front steps of CHS.

She picked them both up, returning the smiles that graced the photos. She slipped them into her backpack carefully, padding them with softer items to prevent damage. Would Celestia let her come back here after her sentence? That was, of course, presuming she didn’t get life in prison. Or execution. Or got banished to the sun.

Which one of her past nightmares would become reality? Which one of those horrible possibilities would Celestia choose? Or would Sunset have the novelty of something entirely different and unexpected? Even if prison was all that it was, she'd want, no, she'd need these photos.

That’s what her friends would be soon. Nothing but images on photographic paper and memories lodged in her head, separated by a literal universe of distance.

And that's what she'd be to them, too. Reduced to memories of days gone by, a few meager items, scattered records and pictures at CHS, and an empty, worn-down apartment they'd never seen, without the smallest trace of her ever living there, like she hadn't even existed.

Suddenly, the little goodbye she'd given them seemed so inadequate to express the misery raging inside her. How could she leave them with something so pathetic? She wanted to do it again, to speak to them one more time and tell them just how much she was going to miss them and how sorry she was that it had to end this way.

Would she even get the chance to say goodbye one last time? Would she—

“Sunset?”

The voice broke her from her thoughts. Sunset whirled around to see Celestia standing in the doorway, concern written on her face.

Sunset couldn’t hold it in anymore. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I’m sorry. I’m so, so...” Tears blurred her vision as she fought to find the words.

A hand was on her shoulder, guiding her to sit on the bed. Sunset pressed herself against Celestia’s side. “I’m so sorry. I... I was so horrible. I did so many awful things. I j-just... I wish I could take it all back.”

The tears were joined by fresh mucus from her nose as she continued to mutter apologies. She hadn’t cried like this in years, but she just couldn’t stop herself.

The guilt, the shame, the fear and stress from the past weeks, it wouldn’t be held back, a swollen river breaching a dam, sweeping away everything in its path. Her arms wrapped themselves around the woman’s torso, seeking any form of comfort from the torrent of pain she was lost in.

A handkerchief found its way in front of her face. A part of her mind wondered if Celestia had it on her to start with or if it was made by the portal. But the rest of her just didn't care. She took the piece of cloth and blew her nose loudly.

“... Princess Celestia?” she asked after another sniffle.

“Yes, Sunset?”

“Can I... Please, can I get to say goodbye to my friends? Just one more time.”

Celestia’s magenta eyes filled with confusion. “Why on Terra would you need to say goodbye to them Sunset?”

“Because you’re taking me back to Equestria. I know I’m going to face trial. Whatever verdict I’m given, I’ll take it without complaint. But I just want to say goodbye in case I never see them again. I owe them that much.”

Celestia frowned at the former unicorn. “Sunset, I’m not here to take you back to Equestria, and I’m certainly not taking you back to stand trial.”

“But I committed crimes!” cried the girl, hands balling into fists. “I knocked out those guards. I stole Twilight’s crown. I tried to invade all of Equestria. I was going to overthrow you. That’s treason! Why would you be here if you aren't taking me back?”

Celestia just chuckled. “As I told Pinkie Pie, I heard about your situation and came to help you, Sunset. That is all. And as for your crimes, if you’re so concerned about it, well, there are advantages to being a ruling diarch.”

She cleared her throat. “I, Princess Celestia, Sol Invictus,” she intoned, “co-ruler of all Equestria, do pardon the unicorn Sunset Shimmer for all crimes committed against the crown or any ponies prior to this day in time.”

She grinned toothily. “It’s not exactly on paper and notarized, but that can be easily amended.”

“B-But..." Sunset stammered, "But why? How can you forgive me just like that? Those awful things I said to you... and you don’t even know everything I’ve done since I got here, before Twilight. I—”

“I forgave you for those things a long time ago Sunset,” soothed Celestia. She rubbed the girl's back slowly. “And for what it’s worth. I’m sorry too. I’m the one that failed you.”

Sunset looked at Celestia like she’d just said the sky was lime green. “I don’t understand.”

“I was your teacher, Sunset. I should have done more to help you through your problems, done something more to break the arrogance that consumed you. And perhaps if I had simply explained the mirror to you instead of denying you answers, you may not have run away as you did.”

Fresh tears started to prick at Sunset’s eyes, but Celestia wiped them away. “There is something I want you to understand, Sunset,” continued the princess, her tone especially gentle. “I have never stopped caring about you.

"I moved the mirror to the throne room after you left to remind myself of my mistakes, and in the hopes that you would return. And when Twilight came back from this world, the very first thing I did was ask if you were alright.”

She nuzzled the teenager's cheek. "You are both my subject, and my student, Sunset Shimmer. And what sort of ruler or teacher would I be if I didn't come to your aid when you most needed it?"

Sunset just hugged her mentor tighter, fear and pain transforming into gratitude and relief. Her chest hitched. “Thank you, princess,” she whispered, voice quaking. “Thank you.”

Celestia’s arms went around Sunset’s torso, pulling her closer. “You’re welcome, my student.”

They sat there on the bed for a few more minutes, wrapped in that shared hug, before Sunset spoke again. “What happens now? Do you need me to help you back to the portal?”

Celestia shook her head. “I’m not going back, Sunset.”

Sunset pulled away to stare wide-eyed at her teacher. “But what about Equestria? They need you to rule and raise the sun!”

"I'm not going back to Equestria," said Celestia as a sly smile crossed her lips, "because I never left."

Sunset's brain tried to make sense of that statement before throwing its metaphorical hooves in the air. "What are you talking about? Of course you left. You're right here."

Celestia shook her head again, letting out a laugh. "No, actually I'm not. This isn't really me, not entirely."

Sunset's blank expression prompted the solar princess to continue. "What you're looking at is a magical construct or clone. It's not only made from my magic, but is also magically connected to me as well, able to transmit thought back and forth, not unlike the spell on our journals.

"This is how I was able to easily alter my appearance. I simply created the clone in the shape of Sunny Skies before it crossed over."

The woman grinned. "So while we're here talking, I'm still in Equestria." She closed her eyes. "Currently I'm handling a delegation from Los Pegasus." Her face fell. "The leader is a rather long-winded stallion... with some kind of nasal problem from the sound of his voice."

Sunset sat there completely stunned. A construct that allowed the transmission of consciousness? It was the sort of magic that drove the academic part of her brain wild. Struggling for a proper response, she finally settled on the simplest thing she could think of. "I didn't know you could do that."

"Well, it's not exactly something most ponies know how to do, let alone something they're able to perform, but it's certainly possible for an alicorn like myself."

"And it's not too difficult?" asked Sunset worriedly. She didn't like the idea that she would be placing a tremendous burden on Celestia's shoulders.

"It's perfectly fine," assured the princess. "I managed to rule an entire nation by myself for a millennium, so I think I can handle something like this." She placed a gentle hand on Sunset's cheek. "The ultimate point is that I'm going to be here with you for a while, Sunset, until I know you're safe."

The pair were interrupted by a pounding against Sunset's door.

"Were you expecting company?" asked the startled princess.

Sunset shook her head. "Not that I know of. It's not like a lot of people know where I live."

Walking to the door, Celestia right behind her, Sunset turned the knob. Before she could greet whoever was practically beating her door down, she found herself flung forward.

The next thing Sunset saw was her friends' backs. The six girls had barged into the apartment, forming a human wall between her and Celestia, Spike standing in front of Twilight, legs fixed in a defensive posture.

"Girls?! What are you doing?"

"Just stay behind us, sugarcube," said Applejack, her green eyes never leaving Celestia.

"We're not letting you take her away!" barked Rainbow.

Celestia blinked rapidly. Her mouth opened, but nothing came out, words unable to find her tongue.

"Please, Your Majesty," said Rarity, "we know Sunset has committed several crimes, but don't punish her."

"Please," pleaded Fluttershy, trying her best not to hide behind her hair. "S-She's not bad anymore."

"Darn right," added Applejack. "I wouldn't have believed it if you told me last year, but Sunset's turned over a whole new leaf since the Fall Formal. She's our friend and we're not gonna let her get dragged off without a say."

"Yeah!" cried Pinkie with an angry bounce. "It's totally not fair, too. She almost got taken away by that super duper meanie, so you can't just stop that from happening just to do it yourself. That's extra super duper mean. It's like offering somebody chocolate chip cookies but then giving them raisin cookies instead." She stuck her tongue out in disgust to illustrate her point.

"We, uh..." began Twilight nervously, "we demand to speak as character witnesses." The bespectacled girl took a deep breath before meeting Celestia's still staring eyes. "Sunset stopped me from tearing this dimension apart," she added, her cheeks flushing with shame. "She pulled me back when magic drove me crazy. She doesn't deserve to be punished."

"And if you still try to take her away," threatened Rainbow, "we'll fight you for her." She raised her fists to emphasize her point. The other girls looked at her uncertainly, but they too nodded their heads.

"That includes me too," said Spike. He lowered his head and shifted his paws, almost like he was ready to jump up and bite, for however far his puppy legs would take him anyway.

"Girls," whispered Sunset. "It's okay. She's not going to—"

Whatever she had to say was interrupted when Celestia burst out laughing. It wasn't the mocking sort of laugher as one might expect from an alicorn threatened by teenagers, but a happy one, and the pink-haired woman clutched her sides in an effort to control herself.

When she finally looked at the still pensive group, she shook her head and smiled warmly. "You truly remind me of your counterparts, though they've never felt the need to actually threaten me."

She let out another chuckle. "You can all relax. I'm not punishing Sunset or taking her back to Equestria. As far as I'm concerned, her crimes have been pardoned."

"But why did she look so sad?" asked Fluttershy.

"Because I thought she was going to punish me too," answered Sunset as she squeezed out from behind the human barricade. "Turns out I was wrong."

"I'm only here to help Sunset, girls, though I appreciate your dedication. It makes me happy to know she's found such wonderful friends here." She turned her attention to Sunset. "I think we've spoken enough for now, my student. Why don't you go spend time with your friends?" She grinned. "I believe Pinkie said something about a party."

"YES!" cried Pinkie with another bounce. "A victory party at Sugarcube Corner!"

Sunset smiled at Pinkie before glancing at Celestia. "What about you?"

"I think I'll pass. This is something you should celebrate with them." She put a reassuring hand on Sunset's shoulder. "Don't worry, Sunset, I'll be right here when you get back."

Turning the girl around, she gave her a little push. "Now go on, all of you. A victory party isn't going to start itself."

Sunset smiled at her old teacher before letting herself get swept away by her friends, both figuratively, and in the case of Pinkie, somewhat literally. The mood of the celebration had reached them all even before the actual celebration had begun.

Making their way down to the ground floor, Sunset's feet were as light as a feather. As the group emerged onto the busy streets of Canterlot City and continued onwards to the bus stop, Sunset couldn't help but feel like the sun was smiling back at her, just like the one in her apartment.


It was afternoon at Crystal Prep Academy, and the final bell had already rung. A portion of the students had gone home, while others still lingered in after school study sessions or other such programs.

Even some of the faculty, including the resident dean, had gone home for the day, and the building was filled with a sense of quiet that came from major depopulation.

Principal Abacus Cinch, meanwhile, was in her office, bathed as it was in shadow. She was sitting behind her desk, taking care of the minutia of paperwork that came with her job, her chair turned away from the door.

The pen in her hand shook when her door swung open with a crash, the light from the hallways spilling in. Her pink eyes glanced irritably in the direction of this sudden intrusion. "Knock before entering my office," she said sternly.

"It's me."

Abacus turned her chair slightly to see Mrs. Circinus standing before her. She raised an eyebrow. "So it is."

Mrs. Circinus didn't say another word as she shut the door, locking it for total privacy. Her hand reached out for the nearby switch, twisting the knob so the lights were turned all the way up.

Cinch squeezed her eyes shut in response to the sudden brightness. Once her vision had adjusted, she looked down at her watch. "What are you even doing here, Astrolabe? I thought you'd be transporting Sunset Shimmer to the Luxuries' estate. Did you get someone else to deliver her?"

"No," was the strained reply.

Cinch's eyebrow shot up higher. "What do you mean no? I thought you were going to return today and take care of it."

"I did," replied Circinus, her gaze never leaving Cinch's face. "There was a problem."

"What happened now?" asked Cinch, setting down her papers to turn her chair fully in Circinus's direction. "Did she exploit some loophole to give herself even more time? I told you that wasn't wise in the first place—"

"Oh, shut up, Abacus!" screamed Circinus. "Just shut up!"

Cinch's eyes widened at the outburst. The other woman's face was one of pure rage, her eyes burning with a frightening intensity. It was the sort of expression that would have made grown men taller and twice her weight back away in fear. A vein of emotional magma breaking through to the surface, threatening to raze everything in its path.

The principal looked into her eyes and didn't even flinch. Instead, she gave the woman a flat stare. "Don't take that tone with me... little sister."

Astrolabe Circinus growled, baring her teeth like an oversized wolf. "And don't you dare talk down to me."

Abacus glanced away. "Perhaps I wouldn't need to if you got yourself under control again. Remember how much father hated your emotional outbursts?"

The other woman's cheeks flushed with humiliation. "I am in perfect control, thank you," she said, taking a few deep breaths. She straightened her dark jacket as her face settled back into a calmer, if still irritated expression, the intense feelings the younger Cinch had always been prone to sinking back into the subterranean depths.

Principal Cinch leaned forward, propping her elbows on the desk as she looked at her sister over the top of her folded hands. "Tell me what went wrong."

The plan they'd developed together had been simple. Armed with Abacus's information, her sister would stick Sunset Shimmer with the Luxuries. Astrolabe knew them far better, having met Excessive when her husband was still alive. Abacus, by contrast, had only met them a handful of times.

In both their opinions, and many others' opinions undoubtedly, just being around that insufferable brat Pearl at a social gathering was punishment enough. But to be shanghaied into being her recently desired baby sister?

Either being around the heiress constantly would drive Sunset Shimmer mad, or, as Astrolabe suggested, perhaps Excessive Opulence could mold her into something useful to society, like an heir for her company that wouldn't kill it in a calendar month. Though Excessive, according to Astrolabe, had held the vain hope that Sunset's intellect really might rub off on Pearl.

No matter the outcome, it seemed an appropriate recompense for what she and her friends had done to Abacus and her academy, not to mention the first step towards crushing their so called "magic of friendship".

Really, it was such an insipid name for something that had caused her so much grief.

"Sunset Shimmer's mother showed up," was Astrolabe's terse reply.

Cinch's brow furrowed. "That's impossible. The information pointed toward her being an orphan. At the very least we know she's living alone."

"And I agreed with you. My initial talks with her gave me the same impression. But then this woman showed up."

The younger Cinch ground her teeth. "I had her! I had her right where I wanted her. I could have even broken CHS if I wanted to. But this woman... she...." Astrolabe let out a growl, her control slipping again as her fist smashed down on Abacus's desk. A stack of neatly organized papers toppled over in response.

"Do you know what happened on the way over here?" continued Astrolabe. "Excessive called. She wanted to know how things were going. And of course I had to tell her. She's not happy, to say the least. And Pearl! I had to listen to her wail on the phone. Do you know what that's like? I wanted to pierce my own eardrums from listening to that waste!"

Her nostrils flared. "Honestly, Excessive may be a shrewd and influential businesswoman, but she's completely failed with her daughter. And as Miss Shimmer found out, it seems Pearl's stupidity is thanks in part to her tutors editing her lessons."

Cinch's nose wrinkled. "I suppose that would explain some things, even from what little I've seen of her."

"If I thought it plausible, I'd encourage Excessive to adopt a daughter in exchange for throwing that waste into the dirtiest, most disease-ridden slum she could find."

Her eyes became dangerously narrow. "Not that I don't want to do that anyway, for all the extra grief she caused me. Her visit and natural stupidity put that Shimmer brat on edge. And then that Sunny Skies woman."

Her fist smashed into the desk again. The same stack of papers, just recently restored, was sent toppling over again. "She has to be a fake. It was just too lucky."

"You should have just taken her last week," admonished Cinch as she righted the papers for the second time. "You could have taken her to the Luxuries right then without her even knowing what she was in for. She would have been gone and no one but you would have known exactly where she went or who you took her to."

Abacus locked eyes with her sister and gave her a disapproving frown. "But no, little sister, you had to give her that extra time. It seems to me that this is your own fault, not mine."

"I had everything under control," Astrolabe retorted. "It was a chance to get complete cooperation, and I was confident that I could break those friends of hers. After all, who else would someone turn to?"

She folded her arms in front of her chest, turning away from her sister, before glancing back. "How did you manage that stunt with the Sparkles? You said you'd handle them, but you never explained it."

"Those individuals regularly file frivolous lawsuits to receive quick out-of-court settlements. Most of them use false names when they file. It didn't take much encouragement to get them to go after Twilight Velvet," explained Cinch with a wave of her hand.

"And they can't be traced to you?"

"They were contacted through a mutual acquaintance." While her status as the principal of Crystal Prep and her own family name offered Abacus a number of powerful contacts, there were some that were less than prestigious, people who could be asked to contact other such individuals anonymously, as in this case.

But such contacts, while unsavory, were necessary. One needed to be ready to deal with trouble, ready and prepared with the tools to cripple it however possible. Father understood that, and grandmother understood it, and so did Abacus and her sister. The world was harsh and cruel, and one had to adapt to not just survive, but thrive.

Cinch leaned back in her chair. "This doesn't change the fact that you failed, Astrolabe," she said, directing the conversation back on track.

The indigo-haired woman bristled, giving her sister another glare. "You were the one that came to me for help, Abacus, so don't talk to me like that."

"You were the one who agreed to help," countered Abacus. "You could have said no if you wanted, if you weren't willing to accept the consequences."

"It would have benefited us both," she retorted sharply. "The Luxuries would have been indebted to me, and their influence could have been directed here." Astrolabe gave a derisive sniff. "Besides, you're the one whose career was somehow endangered by a bunch of teenage girls."

Principal Cinch's face darkened. When her sister smirked back, her expression grew darker still.

"And of course I had to help you. We can't have the family name stained like that, or lose Crystal Prep. We were one of the founding families, after all."

Abacus nodded her head in silent agreement. No, they certainly couldn't. "At this point, perhaps it's best for me to try a different angle of attack."

Astrolabe cocked an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

"It means, little sister, that you don't seem to be necessary anymore," replied Cinch idly, already deep in her own thoughts as she turned her chair away from the other woman. "Please turn the lights back down before you leave."

"No."

Cinch's head snapped in the direction of her sister. "... What?"

"I said no," repeated Astrolabe, her voice low. "I'm not done yet." Her hands tightened into violently shaking fists. "I will not be bested by a sixteen-year-old girl. This is our problem now, and I for one am not going to just walk away simply because you tell me to."

"It seems to me that you're at a disadvantage at this point, Astrolabe," argued Cinch. As much as she would have liked her sister to deal with the problem at hand, she was loath to waste time on failed strategies.

"Don't you have any confidence in me?" asked Astrolabe, planting her hands firmly on the oak desk. "I presumed you did, since you bothered to ask for my help." She gave her sister a pointed stare. "I took care of those other troublemakers for you, didn't I?"

Abacus had to concede there. More than once Astrolabe had helped to deal with thorns in her sister's side at CPA. That was why Abacus had called her in the first place.

The indigo-haired woman smirked, taking her sister's thoughtful expression as a form of agreement. "You can add Sunset Shimmer to that tally, Abacus."

She stood up straight, and purple eyes met pink ones, the former burning with determination and barely contained rage. "I don't care what other plans you come up with, as long as you keep me informed. But I'm telling you now, I'm not done, not by a long shot."

Astrolabe whirled around, leaving without so much as a goodbye, and to Abacus's annoyance, without turning the lights back down. After restoring her office to the state before her sister's arrival, the principal sat back in her chair, hands folded in front of her face as she pondered the turn of events.

Her little sister always took pride in her profession, about as much as Abacus did in hers. Both of them helped to shape the generations that would follow, and therefore benefited society as a whole. It was rare for anyone to provoke Astrolabe enough to make her lose control of her emotions like that. The only other one she knew of was Astrolabe's ex-husband.

It had been a marriage of convenience on her part, since not only had True North been enthralled with her, but he’d been well-connected. But after only a year, he’d become disenchanted with his wife, and became romantically involved with another woman.

Astrolabe's reaction had been... volatile seemed like too weak a word to describe the utter fury that resulted when he'd asked for a divorce. She'd certainly given it to him, but not before she made it so he and his newfound love were sent crawling away with meager possessions to some small town that had several states between it and Canterlot City.

Astrolabe was never a slouch at her job, but now... now she was angry, and once she got that under control, it would turn into even greater motivation. A deadly combination indeed when it came to her little sister.

Principal Cinch picked up the papers she'd been working on. Alternate attack strategies could wait. She still had her job to do, and at this point, it was best to just get out of Astrolabe's way while she regrouped and prepared her own assault.

As Cinch returned to sorting through documents, she allowed herself a smirk. "I wonder if they realize this is just round one."

Author's Note:

And so ends chapter 7, and on the one month anniversary of it being published. Hooray for the story being officially a month old. :pinkiehappy:

I hope you enjoyed it. I also went and did some light editing to the other chapters as well, just one typo in chapter 1 (thank you again beacjere) and fixing some things in chapter 6.

The name "Sunny Skies", and her general description were taken with permission from the author PhantomFox and his wonderful story Sunny Skies All Day Long. If you haven't read it yet, well, what can I say other than... YOU SHOULD. Seriously, it's a classic, both in terms of age and quality of content.

It's also at this point that I'm going to say that the next chapter will take a while longer to put out. It's at this point that I need to take a step back and do more planning. I have lots of ideas for things to happen further in the story, but some of them need further refining, and I need to bridge the ideas together so I know what happens when, etc.

On top of that, I have fanfics in other fandoms I need to get to as well that have been waiting long enough to be updated. If you're interested in the Naruto fandom, I'm also the author of The Lost Boy. That's definitely going to be updated again soon.

But don't worry, I will return. Until then, feel free to leave feedback and tell me what you think, either as a comment, a fave, a like, or whatever combination. And if you feel there's something I need to improve, don't be afraid to tell me either.