• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,927 Views, 411 Comments

The Magnificent Six - Paradise Oasis



Twilight, Firefly, Glory, Surprise, Posey, and Applejack. After the age of Equestria has passed, Princess Cadence tries to train a new generation of harmony bearers. *starring the Original mane six, as they were intended to be*

  • ...
19
 411
 5,927

PreviousChapters Next
Second Lesson- Little Ponies in the Big City!

Second Lesson- Little Ponies in the Big City!

"Wheeeee!" Surprise exclaimed, as she stuck her head out the window. "This is more fun than ridin' on the train!"

"Surprise, would you please get back in here!" Glory snorted. "Having the wind blow your mane around and letting your tongue hang out like that is so unladylike!"

The nine ponies were currently on the Bright Valley trolley, riding their way up the main street of the city. The whirring of the brown car's wheels and the buzzing of the electric cable that ran up to the power lines were all drowned out by the yelling, trotting, and running of machinery of in the city around them.

"Oooh, what's that pony doing with that weird gizmo over there?" Surprise asked, pointing at a construction pony nearby. "Is he trying to drill a hole in the ground?"

"That's a jackhammer, Miss Surprise!" Bow Tie replied, trying to be heard over all the noise. "That stallion is doing road repair with it!"

"Ohhh, is that an honest to goodness theater?!?" Glory asked excitedly . "I've always wanted to see a movie on the big screen!"

"Yep! They have live shows there daily, plus one movie a week!" Nightshade boasted. "It's really big inside, and I hope to perform there on stage someday!"

"Oh, so you wanna to a performer, Nightshade?" Firefly asked, looking back at the colt sitting across the trolley from her. “That’s a really cool dream to have!"

"Yeah! I've always wanted to be a singer and a dancer!" He stood up, and did a strange dance backwards. "Do the moonwalk, baby!"

"My boy Nightshade, here." Bow Tie leaned in, nuzzling him. "He's going straight to the top!"

Off in the corner of the trolley, sat the silent and lonely figure of Poesy. Seeing her over by herself, Applejack trotted over to the seat beside her.

"Bet you're happy to be going home to see your family, huh?" The orange earth pony asked the shy pony facing the window.

"I guess." Poesy replied sadly, turning her head towards AJ slightly. "My mom runs a flower store here in town, but my dad... he passed away, a long time ago."

Applejack was taken aback. "Oh, Poesy.... I'm so sorry!" She shook her mane sympathetically. "I had no idea!"

"It's okay, I never talked about it much to anybody." She turned to face out the window again. "Daddy served with Bow Tie's father on the city watch, and during a griffon attack-"

"Girls, we're here!" Twilight yelled excitedly to the others as the streetcar pulled in at the top of the hill. The nine ponies on board exited the trolley. There stood a large yellow mansion, with small turrets, and a purple-colored roof. The two guards opened the gates to the estate for them, and Princess Cadence led the group of ponies inside.

"Whoah, fancy place they got here!" Firefly whistled as she trotted through the gate.

"I guess whoever's in charge must live here." Applejack whinnied, looking around at all the elegance and splendor.

"Cadence, so good of you to come here!" A white unicorn with a silver mane trotted out to greet them. "Ah, and I see you've brought the potential Harmony Bearers with you as well! Welcome!"

"It's good to see you again, my old friend!" Cadence and the unicorn bowed to each other. "My daughter, Silver Rain, has long inquired about your well being."

"Who's the tall unicorn lady?" Surprise whispered to Twilight curiously. The white Pegasus admired the swirling silver cutie mark that seemed to run up and down the mare's body.

"That's Princess Silver Swirl, ruler of Bright Valley!" The pink unicorn whispered back. "She's descended from an offshoot of the ancient royal line of Unicornia, and her family has controlled this city for generations!"

"Girls, I would like to thank all of you for coming!" The Princess greeted them warmly. "We are eternally grateful for your help in our current endeavor!"

"Thank you, your highness!" Glory replied politely. "We had heard we were to help put on a performance?"

"Indeed you are, my little pony!" Silver Swirl nodded. "But before I give you all the details, I believe you should enjoy some of our unique Bright Valley hospitality!"

"Ohhh! Princess, let Nightshade and I show them around!" Bow Tie bowed to Her Highness. "We'll take 'em to all the best places in the valley!"

"Good idea. Bow Tie!" The princess inclined her head, finally acknowledging the little blue filly. "You two should show the girls around town while Princess Cadence and I talk for awhile!"

"C'mon girls, follow us!" Nightshade yelled enthusiastically leading the fillies back out as Cadence and Silver Swirl trotted into the mansion. "We'll show you a fun time that you'll never forget!"

...

The rest of the day was a mad flurry of activity for the girls as Bow Tie and Nightshade bounced them from one place to another. Many of the girls saw new sights for the first time, while others simply saw things that they viewed as commonplace.

"So this is what they call a shopping mall!" Twilight exclaimed, looking at the high ceiling and connected stores with interest. "Kind of like a bazaar, but with each of the merchants divided into their own room."

"Indeed! It seems sooo inefficient, darling!" Glory commented. "How can you barter and trade with other merchants when your stall is cut off from theirs?"

While the two unicorns discussed the logic of the store setup, Surprise was busy galloping up one of the down escalators backwards.

"Wheeeeee!" She cried out, giggling. "This is fun!"

"Stop that, Surprise! You're blocking other ponies' way!" Bow Tie called out in a panic. "And be careful at the edges, or you could get sucked under!"

In the arcade, Firefly and Nightshade battled each other at a game of Gallop Gallop Revolution. And it seemed to the earth colt that he had finally met a worthy opponent.

"Say, you're good!" The white pony gasped, his hooves dancing across the machine's colored panels. "But nobody's fast enough on their hooves to beat me!"

"That's what you think, bozo!" Firefly huffed back, as she reached to match each of the arrows. As the song wore on, it actually began to look as if the pink Pegasus might actually outdo the pony dancer.

In the mall's spa, Applejack was enjoying a massage by Daisy Sweet, one of the Spa's mares. At the same time, another mare, Dainty Dahlia, was giving Poesy a hooficure.

"T-h-i-s f-e-e-l-s s-o g-o-o-d!" The orange earth pony whinnied as the mare's hooves hit her back rapidly. "I haven't had a workover like this in ages!"

"Oh, it's sooo good to see you back here, girl!" The blue pony with the yellow mane told Poesy as she painted a raspberry colored gloss on her hooves. "This town has been all abuzz about your Harmony Bearing, ever since ya left!"

"They're talking about me?" The yellow filly's cheeks turned a deep crimson. "Oh my..."

"You're all the talk of Bright Valley, after we all found out you ladies were coming to perform our founders play!" The white mare with the pink mane responded, even as she finished up on AJ's back.

"Founder's day play, huh?" Applejack snorted, as she stood up from the massage table. "Well, that doesn't sound too hard!"

"It will be more difficult than you think, Miss Applejack." Lavender Lace, the Pegasus who ran the spa, emerged from the back. "For every eye in this town will be upon you, scrutinizing and judging your every move!"

"I thought Bright Valley was an earth pony town?" AJ inquired. "I didn't expect to see a Pegasus running a beauty spa!"

"Let's just say I'm tolerated because of the good work I do, and leave it at that." The pink Pegasus with the green mane whinnied. "Now, would you like a Hooficure, Miss Applejack?"

"Yeah, but make sure it's a color that goes with my mane." She lay down on the treatment table. "And maybe just a bit of eyeliner and blush on the face, too."

"Wow, I never would've thought you go for that kind of stuff, Applejack." Poesy whispered in her usual tone.

"Yeah, you seem the strong and stoic type." Dahlia agreed. "Not at all a pony who is into girly things!"

"And your ancestor was known for being a rough and tumble cowpony!" Daisy added. "Well, that's what the gossip mags said, I dunno much about history stuff."

"Ladies, there was a time when I wouldn't have been caught dead doing frilly things like that." The orange filly snorted, as Lavender Lace began to apply the hoof polish. "But after all that I've been through, I just see it as one of the privileges of being a girl!"

....

As evening drew on, the eight ponies trotted their way down to the town's cinema-.the Popcorn Movie Theater. The building looked like a large pink popcorn box with buttered corn on top.

But that was only the outside. Inside, the regal red walls and crystal chandeliers gave the building a feel of opulence. As their hooves trotted across the lush red carpet, the five fillies from out of town were struck near-speechless.

"Wow, this place is even grander than Dream Castle's theater!" Glory whinnied, looking up towards the ceiling. "Those carved ponies look so real, I'd swear they were going to jump off and start trotting around!"

"Yep, this theater really is something else!" A pink mare with a red and yellow striped mane trotted up. "Makes me proud that my family and I have cared for it for generations!"

"Oh, girls! This is Butter Pop!" Bow Tie introduced her. "She runs the theater and the concessions!"

"Kinda makes sense, given yer cutie mark!" Firefly noted, looking at the overflowing popcorn box mark on her flank.

"Girls, Nightshade... we don't have any shows scheduled for tonight, so you can have the run of the theater!" Butter Pop giggled. "I set up one of our latest flicks for you to watch, and I'll keep an unending supply of popcorn and sodas comin' at ya!"

"Awesome!" Firefly grinned. "I hope it's an action flick!"

"I'm up for a comedy!" Surprise giggled.

"Adventure movie." AJ whinnied hopefully,

"I'd love a romance, myself." Glory batted her eyelashes.

"How about a horror movie?" Bow Tie put her hooves out in front of her and started to shuffle and drool. "I'd love ta see some zombies, rhar!"

"How about a musical?" Nightshade added in.

"I'm good with whatever you girls want." Poesy added timidly.

"Well, the newspapers say you're the leader, Miss Shine." Butter Pop snorted. "What's your decision on what the group will see?"

"A fairy tale!" She blurted out, before looking back to the others. "With adventure, comedy, romance, songs, and maybe some scary stuff?"

....

It wasn't long before the ponies had made their way to the balcony, and were seated in posh velvet chairs. The movie soon started up, but it was unable to hold everybody's interest at any given time. So they began whispering among themselves.

"I don't think the way that earth colt escaped on that flying carpet was very heroic!" Firefly told AJ. "I could fly outta a death defying situation like that with my eyes closed!"

"Ohhh, I so love that princess filly's wardrobe!" Glory added at another part of the movie, "Though the baggy pants instead of a nice dress is so garish!"

"These special effects are so fake looking!" Bow Tie complained. "That tiger head coming up out of the sand, NOT REAL!"

"Oh, I don't know, Bow." Nightshade whispered. "I think it's a worthy trade off for the good songs!"

Twilight sighed at the sight of the princess and prince ponies. Normally, it would be the genie and his wishes that the filly thought about, but all of Glory's talk of romance had gotten her mind on that aspect of the plot. She looked across the seats at Bow Tie and Nightshade, who were nuzzling as the Prince and Princess performed their number together.

"Nightshade clearly loves her a great deal! He'd probably do anything to keep her safe!" Twilight's ears drooped, as she muttered to herself. "So why haven't my wishes come true? Why haven’t I met a wonderful stallion like that yet?"

As Butter Pop brought the popcorn and soda refills, she couldn’t believe how depressed Twilight looked as she watched the film.

"Are you alright, Miss Shine?" The theater mare asked her.

"Huh? Oh yeah." The unicorn filly sighed. "Just wishing all the best things in life didn't just happen in fairy tales..."

PreviousChapters Next