• Published 13th Feb 2017
  • 1,360 Views, 11 Comments

Lost Harmony - Miner



In a world where the Equestria is divided by the sea. Sunset and Twilight strives to reunited the broken bounds of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,360

Chapter 4

Daylight could be seen coming over the horizon of Las Pegasus mountains. A yellow pegasus mare with an orange and yellow mane exits her house, closing the door behind her. She starts her morning stretches and warm-ups. Once she was done, she took in a deep breath of that fresh ocean air.

*BBBBBBUUUUUUURRRRRRMMMMM* “GUH!” she shouted as she took off straight into the air, by the sudden noise from the nearby fog horn.

After calming herself down, she looks towards the only foghorn on the island. As she got closer to the lighthouse, she heard laughter inside the building. She then frowns, concluding what just happened to her. Las Pegasus local prankster has struck again.

Landing in front of the building, the mare prepares herself for some good old-fashioned payback.

“DASH! If this was one of your gags, Start praying!” She said, entering the building closing the door behind her. The sounds of panic were followed by crashing and smashing of random objects before two blurs could be seen coming out of the building, moving towards the harbor.


“Hum?”

“What is wrong, Twilight?” Sunset asked her roommate as they were getting ready for the day.

“It’s the foghorn. Normally it’s only used to signal incoming ships of where the island is during a foggy day. And right now, it’s clear.”

“Yeah, that is weird.”

“Anyways, we are closing in on Las Pegasus, and we better check up on the captain to see what will happen next.”

“Right.” Twilight and Sunset were about to leave their room when they remembered someone. “Spike," Twilight called out to the dragon under the blankets. "I know you are awake. So, you can either get up and come with us of your own free will. Or I am going to have to drag you with us?”

“Fine, I am coming.” The trio made their way over to the captain's quarters and found him searching his drawers.

“Good morning to you all. I was afraid for a moment that we were going to have to help you get out of bed again.”

“Thankfully, not this time or ever again,” Sunset said as the others nodded in agreement.

“Never say never, my dear Sunset.” The captain said, taking his seat. “Now then, I assume you all are here for more than a friendly chat with an old sailor like me.”

“Yes, straight to business." Sunset then clears her throat. "Captain, once we arrive at the shore, where are we to head to?”

“You are to head to the town hall and meet with Mayor Hooves. She will then show you where the package is.”

"Just out of curiosity. What is in the package, Captain?"

Storm front looks to the left then to the right and motions them to come closer with his hoof; he then whispers, "That would be an Artifact."

“Artifact!?” Spike said quietly.

“Yes, Spike, Artifact,” Twilight said, turning her attention to the young drake. “Celestia said that what we are after is important. So, it is an artifact of some kind in this case.” She turned her attention back to the captain. “Do we know anything specific about it?”

“Nothing that I can be for sure. Only that it is no bigger than a bit, and Celestia wants it.”

“Fair enough.”

“Right then. I will be assigning you some guards for your safety on shore.”

“Are they really needed?” Sunset asked.

“It is just a precaution. Las Pegasus is a poor and peaceful island, but it does have its fair share of crime. Because of that, we cannot afford to take anything to chance.” He smirks. “Also, remember the last time you three were alone on a dock?”

“Ok, fine. However, Captain. The way you talk about the package. It makes me think that you know more than you are willing to share.”

“Call it a hunch, but whatever it is, Celestia has put a tight lid on it. However, based on the size. I can only guess that it might be an Element of Harmony.”

“An Element of Harmony?" Sunset asked. "What is that?”

“Sunset!” Twilight scolds her. “The Elements of Harmony. The magical artifacts that were used to defeat Discord. The same stones that turned our world as it is now. Those Elements of Harmony!”

“Oh, right! Now I remember. After they were lost, some ponies and other creatures have claimed to have found them. However, it turns out to be random crystals or shards of a crystal instead.”

“And in some of the cases," Spike spoke up. "The crystal shards had a unique spell placed on them to make them seem real. Thus given them the term 'Shard of Harmony.' or fakes. Although no pony truly knows if the Element of Harmony were shattered when they were lost.”

“That is right, Spike," Twilight said. "But I believe some of the elements might have shattered after releasing all that chaos energy. So some of them dividing into shards is not too far fetch. But Captain. You can’t seriously be suggesting that we are here for an Element of Harmony, do you?”

“Oh, come on. Can’t you let a stallion dream a little?”

“Right. Anyways how long do we have until we depart back for Canterlot?”

“It depends on the news we receive from the local weather ponies. Suppose the weather is clear for the next two days. Then we will be on our way by tomorrow morning. If not, we will have to wait it out.”

“Well then, let’s not waste any more time than. Come on, guys.”

“You will find your guards waiting for you at the gad plank.”

“Thank Sir.”

With that, they bid the captain farewell and left the room. Unaware that one of the crewmembers who was working near the cabin stopped what they were doing, he went to the other side of the ship once no pony was looking.

Twilight’s group headed to the town hall, while another group of crew members went to the marketplace, others stayed on board the ship. However, no one paid attention to Trixie and her wagon when somepony came out of it when she was heading to the marketplace.

This pony was an earth pony mare with a cream-colored coat and pink and blue mane and tail divided down the middle. She made her way to a small café and ordered coffee. The mare pulled out a red flower from her bag and placed it in her mane next to her left ear during the wait. Shortly after she finished her coffee, another mare came from the sky and sat next to her. She was a grey coat pegasus with blonde mane and tail with her eyes looking in two different directions. After ordering her coffee, the mare with the red flower looked at her once before setting her cup down.

“Isn’t a little late having dark coffee today Miss?”

The Pegues mare looks at her before looking around before addressing her. “It is never too late to have spicy coffee.”

“Excuses me?" the first mare said with a puzzled look, "But I never heard of spicy coffee. Don’t you mean cold coffee”

“No spicy coffee.”

The mare with the flower groans with a hoof over her face. “Let’s try that again. The purple sun melts the red snow.”

“And the river runs upstream.”

“Secret Agent Hooves?”

“Secret Agent Sweetie Drops?”

“What was wrong with your countersign?”

“What do you mean what was wrong with it? I gave you the countersign for the red flower.”

“But that the wrong countersign.”

“It is not!” she then reaches into her bag and pulls out a roll-up scroll. “See, right here.”

Sweetie Drops looks at the scroll before looking at the issue date on the scroll. “That’s the old countersign.” She then pulls out her scroll and shows it to her.

Agent Hooves look at it before she starts to cry. “I am sorry, Agent Sweetie Drops. I should have known that you would have the right countersign. It's just after all these years undercover, hiding in trees, walls, and small spaces. You can get out of the loop. And you know what? I am getting tired of it.”

“Calm down, Agent Hooves. We all have to make sacrifices on the job. Here, take my code scroll.” Sweetie Drop said, giving her her scroll.

“I can't do that.” Agent Hooves said, giving it back.

“It's fine. I already memorized it.”

She takes it and sniffs a little. “I won’t forget this. I will pay you back, Sweetie Drops.”

“Thanks, and that’s is nice and all. But could you please give me your report?”

“Right.” *ahem* “Nothing major has happened except for Rainbow Dash scaring the feathers off Spitfire earlier. ”

“That must have been funny. Anything sign of the 'green flames' around here?”

“Nothing yet, but I will keep an eye out for it.”

“You better. The princess wants to know if they are friendly or not a.s.a.p..”

“Will do. Also, the package is ready for pick up at the Mayor's office.”

“Excellent. The Princesses will be one step closer to reuniting the lands with this. All that is left is to get it back to Canterlot.”

“That concludes my report. I better get going before anypony starts missing me.”

“Alright, then carry on the Agent Hooves.”

“You can count on me.”


An hour. Later at the storage room in Townhall.

"And this, my friends, the what you are here for." Mayor Hooves said, opening the storage room and letting everypony in. "I am not allowed to tell you what is inside with all the hush-hush going around it.”

“Thank you, Mayor Hooves," Sunset said. "But I do have one question."

"Yes?"

"Why is the box the size of a wagon?" She gestured to the box. “Is it that big?"

"No, that just to throw ponies off from what’s inside it."

"Oh, so it small!" Twilight said, which caused silence to fall around the room.

"You didn't hear that from me.” Mayor Hooves said.

"Don't worry; we won’t tell anypony. Okay, boys, get this create moving." Sunset told the guards as they began to move the box.

Once the box was out of the storage room. The Mayor pulls Sunset aside.

"How did you know it was smaller than it appears to be?”

“You just told me,” Sunset said as she moved to join the others.

“Clever girl.”


It didn't take long before they rejoined the crew at the ship. They got word from the captain that everything was ready to go and would be on their way back shortly if the weather ponies told them otherwise. He also informed them that they would bring along three other crew members. After their talk, Sunset and the others went back to their cabin to wait for the journey back home.

“You know this wasn't as exciting as I thought this trip would be,” Spike said as they entered their room.

“Well, what did you expect, Spike?" Twilight said. "This was no more than a milk run.”

“I know that, but I was kind of hoping for action. You know, fending off pirates, holding out against a great storm, or even fighting a giant sea creature!”

“Oh, Spike, that is the last thing we want to happen on this journey. Imagine if that did happen?”

“Yeah,” Sunset said with a smile on her face.

“Stop encouraging him," Twilight said to Sunset. “Spike. I don't think we could survive if something like that were to happen. While we are out at sea, my magic is unless, and I have no form of training in hoof to hoof combat. And before you say that we could rely on your fire, you would be risk burning the ship down, and then we will be lost at sea forever.”

Spike rubs his head, embarrassed. “Sorry, Twilight, I didn’t think about it that way.”

“It is ok, Spike,” Twilight said as she hugged the little dragon. “Sometimes the best adventures are to ones where nothing bad happens.”


Meanwhile outside,

Every sailor on board was getting ready to shove off. One of them noticed an orange Pegues looking around the last of the supply crates on the dock as they were doing so.

“Hay Miss, get away from there!”

“In a minute,” Spitfire said, not looking at him. "I am looking for somepony.”

“Then I’ll help you.” The sailor said, going down to join the search.

Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash was hiding behind one of the farthest barrels on the dock. She was a cyan-blue pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane and tail. She sees the two of them trying to find her, and she notices the top of the barrel she was next to was open. Quickly she hid inside and left the top open so she could breathe and get out. After three minutes, she heard the Stallion telling Spitfire to go. Rainbow was about to leave her barrel when the lid was forced closed, and she started hearing the sounds of nails being hammered. She tried to open the barrel, but she was stuck with the limited amount of room. The barrel was pushed to the side and started rolling her around before stopping.

“Hey Henry, this water barrel is a little light. Is it supposed to be empty?”

“Nay dud, I guess they forgot to fill it. Take it back and fill it up before we head out.”

“On it.” Then the barrel started rolling again.

Rainbow was starting to get dizzy. A small hole opened, and water started to fill it. But then it stopped half ways then something else started to fill it. And it smelled familiar to her, “Cider?” she tastes it, "IT APPLE CIDER!"

As the sailor was rolling the barrel back, he thought he heard the barrel drinking itself. “I got to lay off the hard stuff. I am hearing things.” He said to himself as he put the barrel in storage.


“But I need to get on this boat!” Secret Agent Sweetie Drop said, trying to get past the guard onto the gad plank. Her mission in Las Pegasus finished faster than she thought and forgot that the mare she convinced to let her stowaway wasn't going on this ship back.

“I am sorry, madam, but it is not up to me. It's up to the captain, and we are already full-on crew members.”

“But I must- you know what? Never mind. I am good.”

“You are?”

“Yes, I am. Have a good day.” She then started walking away.

“Hun, that was odd.” He said as she snuck onto the boat by hanging onto the ship's anchor when nopony was looking. Once there were on their way, she got on board.


Entry 123

It has been seven hours since we left that little town. But I do have to get Spike's idea for thought.

This vogue has been too peaceful. I have read reports from other captains, and they have had some serious problems no matter how short the voyage was. I fear that soon we will have some problems on our hooves soon that may be more than we can handle. Especially with now down below deck. I have no idea what it is, but if the princess wants it, it's has got to be important. I know that I am not allowed to look inside it, but that doesn’t mean I can keep an eye on it.

Sunset then made her way below deck and let the others know where she is going to be. However, on her way there. She started hearing somepony singing. It was hushed, but it got louder the closer she got to the storage area. Once inside, she notices that she’s not the only one who has heard the singing. A couple of the other crewmembers were gathered around a barrel, looking at each other, then back to the barrel, unsure what to do.

“Hey, is everything alright here?” Sunset asked one of the crewmembers.

“I am not sure." One of them replied. "But this barrel is started singing about ten minutes ago. I thought I heard things, but then he started hearing it as well.” He said, gesturing to the other crew member.

“Well, what’s in it?”

“The label says water, but I don't think so.” The sailor then grabs a crowbar and pries the lid off.

“Annand IIIIIII will always love you!!” Rainbow Dash said, grabbing the closest pony in a hug, which happens to be one of the crew members. “Have I ever told you about the time when I made a rainbow boom from just free falling?”

“No.” He replied.

“It was glorious.”

“Let me guess. She is not a member of this crew?” Sunset asked the other sailor.

He shakes his head as the other crew member tries to set himself free. “Nope, she is a stowaway.”

“And at least she is friendly. Let’s see if we can get her without causing a raucous.” Slowly Sunset and the stallion closed in on the new mare before she noticed them.

“Oh, look, so many ponies here. Are you all part of my fan club?”

Sunset has no idea what this mare was talking about. She was going to ask her some questions when she started smelling cider coming from this mare direction. “Excuse me miss…”

“Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow said, saluting and letting go of the crewmember. "The fastest pony alive! In the flesh.”

“Miss Dash. By any chance, have you been drinking cider?”

“Naaa this was only. Titse little sips from this barrel.”

“And how many of these tissey little sips did you have?”

“Two hundred and seventy-two.”

Sunset looked down the barrel and found it to be empty. “Do you usually have this many sips of cider?

“Nope, first-time honeydew.”

“Honeydew?!” Sunset said, offended,

“Well, you look like honey. I bet you taste great.”

“Ok, enough of this. Get her out of there and take her to the brig. I will inform the captain.” Sunset left the two ponies to deal with Rainbow. Sunset started making her way back to the top deck. However, once there, she notices a change in the weather. The clouds were gathering in thick grey clumps in the sky, the wind was starting to pick up, and the ship began to rock.

“Hey, sailor!" Sunset called out to one of the crewmembers. "Does the captain know that we are in the middle of a storm?”

“I am not sure, miss, haven’t seen him since we left port.”

“That’s odd. I am on my way to see him now anyway. I will let him know.”

“You do that. These clouds are making my nerves.”

Sunset hurried to the captain's courters and knocked at the door, but there was no answer. She tried again calling out to him but still no answer. Fearing the worst, she opens the door.

“Captain, are you here?”

“What do you want?” Stormfront said from his desk.

“I here to tell you about the storm outside.”

“You leave that to the crew and me, my lady. In the meantime, I suggest you batten down the hatches and wait with your friends until this blows over. Don’t worry; only ponies on the deck are at risk of falling overboard. You will be fine.”

“Okay, then, captain.” She turns to leave but then stops. “Oh, I just remember, captain, we have a stowaway on board.”

“We will deal with that after the storm, but for now, get below deck and wait for further orders. Understood?”

“Yes, captain.” Sunset left to join the others below deck. Once there, she told them what was happening and the captain’s orders. Twilight thought it was odd they ended up in the middle of a storm without anypony noticing. However, Spike thought it was hilarious hearing about the pony in the barrel.

“Spike, it wasn’t that funny. Which reminds me of what I was doing before all this happened.” Sunset started to leave the room.

"But what about the captain’s orders?” Twilight asked Sunset, stopping her from leaving the room.

“I am not going to do anything while I am there. I am just going to have a peek insi- um erm, I mean make sure the crate is intact. Yes, intact wasn’t trying to look inside.”

Twilight just looks at her with a mild glare. “Um-hum. If it is all the same for you, I better tag along.” Twilight then left her makeshift bed and moved next to Sunset.

“What, why, don’t you trust me?”

Twilight then looks at Sunset. “Last year's Hearts Warming Eve.”

Sunset's eyes widened when Twilight brought up that embarrassing moment last year. “Oh right. But to be fair, Twilight. It was a big box, Twilight.”

“And you couldn’t have waited two more hours.”

“It was practically morning.”

“Say the one who wore a black ninja outfit crawling across the floor. And then causing unsuspecting ponies to fall down the stairs!”

“Okay, that was your fault for not looking where you were going. And what about me? I got hurt as well.”

“Only because Spike thought you were stealing his presents.”

Spike starts laughing from his bed. “Yeah, I remember that. If couldn’t have them, then no pony could.”

Twilight turned her attention to Spike. “You are lucky, Mr., that the only things that got burnt to dust were half of the present and the tree.

Sunset then looks at the floor. "I never did get to see what was in the box. Ah, fine then if you want to tag along, there is no reason not to.”

“By the way," Spike spoke up. "Whatever did happen that the mare in the barrel?”

“She was taken to the brig.”

The duo made their way to the storage area of the ship. As the storm outside was growing worst. The lightning flashes across the sky, waves of water crash into the ship's sides, sending sailors across the deck and cabins. The wind blows the sea across the deck, soaking everyone on deck. Sailors struggle to operate the stations to keep the ship from tilting over. Stormfront was at the helm, working to guide the ship through the storm. However, through all this storm the was a sound. It started small, and then it began to grow.

Sunset glance through one of the windows below deck and see a red glow in the distance. She knew it was the sirens but gave it no second thought, for they are safe as long as they don’t go the light.

But then Sunset noticed that, for some reason, the ship was turning. It was turning into the direction of the sirens.” What is the captain thinking!” Sunset shouted.

“What is wrong?” Twilight asked.

“He is guiding the ship into siren territory!”

“What is he thinking!”

“Something wrong here. I may not know the captain well, but he would never endanger the ship like this, especially since he is probably the only pony who knows what is inside the crate. I'm going to talk with him to see what’s going on in that thick head. You to keep going to the storage room.”

“Okay, but why!”

“Something wrong here, and somepony needs to ensure that the crate is intact.”

“Don’t worry; I am on it. Be careful, Sunset.”

“Same to you too.” With that, they went their separate ways.

The storm was getting worse by the minute, forcing ponies to hang on the wall to keep on their hooves. A lantern fell to the floor in front of Sunset, which burst into flames. She manages not to get burnt and moved away from the fire. Lucky there was another pony who came by and started putting out the fire.

“You there! Make sure the lanterns are put out on the top deck. I got this floor.”

“On it. But can you get somepony to the captain and find out why he is steering the ship straight into siren waters.”

“Don’t question the captain’s judgment, miss. He has gotten us out of storms before, and he can do it again. Now off with you!”

“Alright.” Sunset then struggles with the other lanterns and quickly puts them out. As she did so, the song of the sirens was growing louder.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoy this story,