• Published 13th Feb 2017
  • 2,499 Views, 43 Comments

Let's Just Live - Psyga315



It had been a few months since Fluttershy was tragically lost to you, and while everyone else seemed to have moved on from it, you still have a hole in your chest that you can never hope to fill. Though, perhaps your friends could fix that for you.

  • ...
7
 43
 2,499

We Were Just Pretending

The rain passed and you were able to go back to the town. School became a blur for you, especially when you purposefully blocked out all mentions of a certain dance that was coming up. As the final bell of the day rung and you began to pack up your belongings, you noticed someone next to you.

“Oh, Angel Wings, was it?” You asked as the pink-haired girl just nodded.

“Um… I just wanted to ask you…” Her voice waned a bit before she got out a greeting card. You took the card and saw a cupid shooting an arrow at two hearts. You saw her blush as you read what was essentially an invitation to…

The Valentine's Day dance.

You wanted to avoid that topic for this entire week, but something managed to bring it up anyways.

“You okay?” She asked you. It was just now that you noticed you were crying and you quickly wiped them.

“Y-yeah…” You took a moment to ask her. “Why me?”

“… Well…” She fidgeted. “I’m… new to this school. My mom moved here to be closer to the hospital and as such, I had to change schools… I haven’t been able to talk with anyone.”

“But… what about the soccer team?” You asked. She just shook her head.

“I never really,” her voice became whispery, “talked with them.”

“Oh.” You sighed. You remembered when you were new in school. You were lost, confused, and friendless. The first person you ever talked to was…

Fluttershy.

You decided to do what she probably would have done for you back when you were the new kid.

“If you’d like, I can take you there.” You said.

“R-Really!?” She gave you the biggest smile you have ever seen… Well, maybe not as big as Pinkie’s…

“Yeah… I… Don’t really have anyone to go with either.” You frowned.

“Then it’s settled! We’ll be a couple!” Your heart stung when she said that, but you just smiled and nodded.

“Well, I’ll see you at the dance…” You said. You finished packing and headed home.


As you were on your way home, you noticed Applejack at a kiosk across the street handing out papers. Intrigued and wanting to talk with her, you crossed the street and waved to Applejack.

“Hey, sugar cube.” She said.

“Hey, how’s it hanging?” You then noticed the pink sheets of paper. You recognized the stationary and its signature pink coloring as paper printed in the offices of the animal shelter that Fluttershy used to volunteer for. It didn’t sting you as much as you might have expected and instead gave you a warm smile.

“We’re raisin’ funds for the shelter’s renovations. I have a spare seat for ya if ya’d like.” She said. You smiled and nodded.

For the next hour or so, people passed by you as you offered papers to them. Few were interested and fewer chipped in. It wasn’t until someone came by that you managed to turn the situation around.

It was a woman, a rather beautiful one at that, with icy blue eyes and icier blue hair. She had a robe that covered her fair purple skin. You were pretty stunned by her appearance. So stunned in fact that you didn’t notice her take a paper from you.

“Hmmm…” She looked at it. “Wait a minute, I think I remember this place.” She giggled to herself. “Ah, I do! This was the place where I was asked to perform surgery on a dog when the vets weren’t able to.” She smiled. “I still remember that poor girl crying and begging me to save him.” You remembered that moment all too well.

It was the day when one of the dogs needed a delicate heart surgery that none of the vets were equipped to handle. One of them suggested Dr. Radiant Hope to do the surgery, though they were pessimistic over whether she’ll do surgery on a dog.

That’s when Fluttershy contacted her and had a long emotional cry, begging her to save the dog. She succeeded and the surgeon was convinced to perform the surgery.

Though that’s when you remembered what Fluttershy cried to her:

I’d gladly trade my life for his if need be!

And that’s when you remembered her death.

“Wonder what she’s up to now…” Radiant Hope pondered.

“… She… She passed away.” You muttered.

“… Oh. Sorry to hear that…” She looked at you. “… You were close to her, weren’t you?”

“Huh? H-how did you-”

“You’re crying.” She stroked your cheek and wiped away the tear that you were not aware of.

“… Yeah… I… I used to date her before…” You couldn’t admit it, so you just cried. She then smiled and handed you a hundred dollar bill.

“Here. For the shelter. You have my condolences.” She said. Before she left, she turned to face you. “You really need to talk to people about you and her. Your heart’s really knotted up with all that emotion.” That was what she said to you before she left. You simply frowned as you stowed away the hundred dollar bill into the cash register.

“Whoo-whee, Anon, that bill was more than I could get today.” She said. You and her had a longing gaze at each other. A long, awkward silence that was soon broken with a ringing of Applejack’s phone.

“Oh, shoot! Granny’s wanting me back for supper!” She began to pack up her stuff as you helped her. “Thanks again for helping when you can…” She finished and began to run. That’s when you noticed she was about to cross the street with the crossing light blinking the stop sign. When shined in full you noticed a car about to go. In a brief moment, you thought about the dream about Pinkie Pie.

“WAIT!” You shouted as you ran to Applejack. You clutched her just as she was about to step onto the road. The car passed her at a rather slow speed. Your body trembled as you just held Applejack for a long time, at least until the light told her to walk. When you let go though, she just turned around and sulked. “S-sorry… I just…” That’s when Applejack just grabbed you, your head shoved right into her body. As if in response, you began to cry. Applejack just kept quiet and let you sob.

“This can’t keep goin’ on like this, Anon…” Applejack just said.

“You hate me, don’t you?” You cried.

“Huh? What are ya talkin’ about?” She asked.

“I just keep crying about her… I’m trying to move on, but I can’t.” You remembered how Applejack tackled you and grappled you until you cried the first time she confronted you on Fluttershy’s death. Then came Christmas time where you refused to come out of your room and Applejack had to bust in with her strength. “And… You hate me… You and everyone else.”

“W-what? What makes ya think that?” Applejack asked.

“Y… You had Twilight take me to a shrink. You’ve set Pinkie Pie up with me so I’d feel better… But… I… I can’t just do it! I can’t move on!”

“… I didn’t have anything to do with that. They did it on their own volition.” Applejack said.

“I just wanna go back to a happy place! Back when you guys weren’t pretending to like me.” It took a moment of crying before Applejack got what you meant. You remembered when they staged an intervention in the form of a party and that was likely what you meant when you said that.

“I’m sorry…” She knelt onto the ground and took you onto her lap as you continued to cry. “I just… I see myself in you when you’re grievin’. I loved my parents more than anyone in my family, so when they died, I… I just got angry a lot. I was so angry at the world that I took it out on my family. And Big Mac… Well, he shut down like you did. It wasn’t until we had to talk about it in group therapy that we managed to move on.” She held you and stroked your back. “I… I don’t mean to be rude… I just want you not to end up like me…” She began to cry as well. You two cried for a bit before you noticed a white Sedan pull up.

“Applejack?” You and Applejack heard Rarity speaking from the car window. Immediately, you and her got up. “I was just driving home and I couldn’t help but notice you two. You need a lift?” She asked. Applejack and you nodded.


You laid down at the back of Rarity’s car as she drove to Applejack’s first. You could over hear some conversation regarding what happened at the crosswalk and your brief meltdown, as well as the Valentine’s Day dance. It’s pretty clear that Applejack and Rarity would go to the dance together. A lot of people considered them a cute couple.

You didn’t really care. You just decided to let the car ride rock you to sleep. Though the car went to a complete halt just as you were about to drift off.

“Hang on, darling, I have something for you.” You noticed Applejack was out of the car. Had you wiped out long enough for Rarity to drop off Applejack and drive all the way back to her place? You stayed in the car as Rarity ran to go get whatever it was she wanted to show you. Your head began to throb as you tried to wake up. It had been a short while before Rarity came back. She opened your door and gently placed something in. You immediately rested your head against it.

It seemed soft and pillowy, with the texture being smooth and fuzzy, almost akin to fur. You looked up and noticed that it was a plushy about a head or two larger than you made of yellow fuzz. The plushy was made in the shape of a pony. A smile came on your face when you saw the hair on the cute pony’s head was similar to that of Fluttershy’s.

Instantly, you cuddled with it, shedding some tears onto the fuzz.

“I knew you’d love it, darling. I had meant to give it to you as a Christmas present, but I was delayed. Merry Belated Christmas…” She said.

“You shouldn’t have…” You didn’t say it in an upset tone, but rather a confused tone.

“Anon… You’ve suffered so much pain and sorrow. I had to give you something to ease the pain. I can’t bring back Fluttershy, but I can at least create something similar to her.” She said. You just smiled.

“Thanks…” Rarity then proceeded to drive you home.


When you got home, Rarity helped you with moving the plushy into the house. You had to explain to your mom that the pony is just a stuffed animal what with how realistic it was, but other than that, it was pretty good.

As soon as Rarity left, you simply went to bed with the Fluttershy plushy. That’s when your mom came into your room.

“Anon, how are you feeling?” She asked you.

“… Better. I hope.” You said to her.

“You have some good friends, at least.” Your mom smiled as she stroked your hair.

“Mom… Do you think I’ve been lingering too much on Fluttershy?” You asked.

“…” Your mom never gave an answer, but her hesitance definitely implied that you were. “Everyone grieves at their own pace. Some people get over losses in about a week while others are just unable to move on.”

“… Am I gonna be the latter, mom?” You asked before shedding some tears.

“No. No one will let you be like that. You have support from me, your friends, and your family. You’re not alone.” She said.

“…” You hummed a bit. You really wanted that to be the case. That your friends will help you out of your rut. But you just thought back to Fluttershy’s body being placed in the body bag. You thought of your friends staging that intervention. You thought of how, even after you placed that letter, you still felt lingering feelings. Your mom left you as you began to doze off, thinking of just one thing to yourself:

After yesterday, is there any way you can trust tomorrow?